Author Topic: Attempt to pay property taxes in $1 bills  (Read 8848 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

brimic

• friends
Re: Attempt to pay property taxes in $1 bills
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 04:12:17 PM »
Being an ahole shouldn't be a crime,
especially when it 'disrupts the efficiency of a tax office.'
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 04:22:12 PM »
While I believe anyone should be able to pay their taxes in dollar bills, this is what lost the guy my sympathy:

The bills were said to be folded so tightly it “required tax office personnel approximately six minutes to unfold each bill.”
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 04:31:38 PM »
While I believe anyone should be able to pay their taxes in dollar bills, this is what lost the guy my sympathy:

Yeah, I don't think it could possibly take 6 minutes to unfold a bill. Something tells me that the put upon 'public servant' wasn't trying real hard.

Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
Yeah, I don't think it could possibly take 6 minutes to unfold a bill. Something tells me that the put upon 'public servant' wasn't trying real hard.

Based on an origami demonstration using one dollar bills that I watched, I believe the claim of six minutes to unfold it, especially if you do not want to destroy the bill in the process.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 04:41:19 PM »
Eight'll getcha ten an inspector will be out this year and discover all kinds of enhancements he made to the property.

Without permits.

Won't be so funny when he gets next year's bill.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:48:31 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 04:44:13 PM »
Based on an origami demonstration using one dollar bills that I watched, I believe the claim of six minutes to unfold it, especially if you do not want to destroy the bill in the process.

Irregardless, dollar bills are either legal tender for settling public debts or they are not...they guy could have claimed that he was cashing in an origami collection that he won or inherited.

Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 04:47:47 PM »
Uh. What law did he break, or was it "resisting arrest" charge when you can't find any other charge?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 05:04:24 PM »

Well my point is, whether it took them 30 seconds per bill or six minutes, the guy was kinda acting like the Texas open carry bozos and ruining it for the rest of us. It's the kind of thing that will push us to a cashless society. He would have made his point simply by bringing in 600 dollar bills the way he got them from the bank, or strip club, or wherever they came from.

Doing what he did just makes them want to make "no cash payment" rules, which they can easily and legally do, and then if I want to come in and pay $600 in taxes with six $100 bills, I'll be denied.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 05:11:20 PM »
Well my point is, whether it took them 30 seconds per bill or six minutes, the guy was kinda acting like the Texas open carry bozos and ruining it for the rest of us. It's the kind of thing that will push us to a cashless society. He would have made his point simply by bringing in 600 dollar bills the way he got them from the bank, or strip club, or wherever they came from.

Doing what he did just makes them want to make "no cash payment" rules, which they can easily and legally do, and then if I want to come in and pay $600 in taxes with six $100 bills, I'll be denied.

I bet whomever was in charge at the office could have refused payment based on the fact that they were folded up so much that he could claim they were unrecognizable, and told him to come back with them unfolded.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 05:16:24 PM »
Uh. What law did he break, or was it "resisting arrest" charge when you can't find any other charge?
He was asked to leave the office and refused to, so they initially arrested him for criminal trespass.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 05:16:38 PM »

I understand that it bothers people when they see another person in line who refuses to voluntarily bend over and grab their ankles like everyone else, but insists on a little foreplay first.

I think a 'no cash' policy would be ripe for a lawsuit.
 Every bill clearly has the words "THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE" (The all caps done by the U.S Treasury, not me).  Its either a legitimate form of payment or not- a good percentage of wars are started over the legitimacy or protecting the legitimacy of one's currency, I don't think the U.S. Government is going to allow Podunkville or any state for that matter to disallow U.S. currency from being used to pay public debts.

Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Attempt to pay property taxes in $1 bills
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »
I believe they have a law passed for just this occasion. He's not the first dpi to do this

Hmmm well kinda

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2011/0606/2-500-pennies-Is-it-legal-to-pay-a-bill-in-pennies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 05:19:32 PM »
I bet whomever was in charge at the office could have refused payment based on the fact that they were folded up so much that he could claim they were unrecognizable, and told him to come back with them unfolded.

How would that be different than paying with rolls of quarters? The 'public servant (1)' still must unroll the quarters and count them.

(1) I use that term sarcastically. Public servant= public master, especially when they have the power of siccing the praetorian guard on you for annoying them.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 06:55:50 PM »
Regardless of what it says on the bill, there is NO Federal law requiring any private or public entity to accept cash payments.

NONE.

Texas state law requires it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
Re:
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 07:03:51 PM »
Regardless of what it says on the bill, there is NO Federal law requiring any private or public entity to accept cash payments.

NONE.

Correct!
However, if a local government body requires that someone pay a tax, fee, or fine in U.S. dollars whether those U.S. dollars are in the form of cash, check, or credit, they don't have a leg to stand on if they refuse payment in cash, tregardless of the asshattery attached to it.

Barack Obama

• friends
Attempt to pay property taxes in $1 bills
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 07:07:42 PM »
Yea they do. And it's been through the courts more than once
http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1913870_1913868_1913865,00.html

I stand corrected it was a tax bill they had to take it
But they could make him unfold it

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »
Unless you can cite case law to that point, or extant law, I'm going to say that you are incorrect.

Public entities can also choose the forms of payment they will accept, including the refusal of cash or personal checks.

For years Fairfax County Courts refused payments of cash or personal checks for payment of concealed handgun permits.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
I found this reference
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/legal-tender.aspx

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 07:26:49 PM »
Yep. The Treasury page is the standard. State laws, such as the one in Texas, can clarify types of payment that will be accepted.

Lacking that, governmental entities can refuse to accept cash.

Some guy on an old Calguns thread says his Dad cited some claim to the IRS and got them to accept cash, but he and his Dad are wrong.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 07:33:25 PM »
Oh and regarding the whole 'bend over and take it' statement?

I get rather incensed at people who think they have a right to inconvenience everyone else by acting like a complete festering ahole just because they think the fringe on the office flag means they are living in an occupied country or some such bullshit and they are going to strike a blow for freedom by being a dick.

brimic

• friends
Re:
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 07:46:46 PM »
Oh and regarding the whole 'bend over and take it' statement?

I get rather incensed at people who think they have a right to inconvenience everyone else by acting like a complete festering *expletive deleted*hole just because they think the fringe on the office flag means they are living in an occupied country or some such bullshit and they are going to strike a blow for freedom by being a dick.
Right?
Being an *expletive deleted*hole isn't illegal though, and that is why I simply can't side with the 'public servants' on this one. The 'tresspassing' while paying taxes, on public property no less, is what you should be incensed about. Its bullshit.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:50:53 PM by brimic »

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 07:52:45 PM »
The law gives no one the right to make a substantial negative impact on the operations of any entity.

Permission to access a facility can be withdrawn, as was the case for this individual.

He refused to leave, he took his chances. Now he can take his chances with the courts.

I'm sure he feels like a huge patriot or something, all because he wanted to be a *expletive deleted*che.

brimic

• friends
Re:
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 07:55:48 PM »
The law gives no one the right to make a substantial negative impact on the operations of any entity.

Permission to access a facility can be withdrawn, as was the case for this individual.

He refused, he took his chances.

I'm sure he feels like a huge patriot or something, all because he wanted to be a *expletive deleted*che.
Not saying he's Rosa Parks, but you just described Rosa Park's arrest.

Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 07:58:33 PM »
Rosa Parks had her day in court. It also started a larger discussion that resulted in materially unjust laws being changed.

Your Rosa Parks analogy falls on its face. Badly.