Author Topic: Has anyone tried Windows 10?  (Read 8090 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Has anyone tried Windows 10?
« on: February 07, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »
This grandpa-box is ready for a fresh install. I could re-install 7, but I was thinking about trying 10. Any insights?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Has anyone tried Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »
It's free, I am not sure what the message is in that move. But please, install and give a report. :)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html

bob

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 05:01:21 PM »
It says my firmware is not compatible with Secure Boot. I'm not sure what that is. Does that just mean I wouldn't be able to password-protect my BIOS settings?

Looks like Secure Boot is something installed by PC manufacturers, and my computer is homemade. So I guess it's just a feature of the OS that I won't be able to use?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:44:08 PM by fistful »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:04:17 PM »
This grandpa-box is ready for a fresh install. I could re-install 7, but I was thinking about trying 10. Any insights?

Reinstall Win 7. Win 10 isn't bad, it's already far better than Win 8. I've also heard that customer feedback is bypassing the typical "data massaging" (ie falsification by management) and being directly given to the right folks.

That said, it's a beta.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 06:29:44 PM »
I forgot about 10 being a free upgrade. While I'm not going to be an early adopter on my physical machine (possibly not an adopter at all) I'm going to go ahead and download it over my Win8 VM and play around with it. I'll report on what I find.

If I were you fistful, I would reinstall Win7 and wait till 10 has been out a while before thinking about it, especially if you just have one machine. I think it's going to be a free upgrade for a year.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 07:46:21 PM »
It is important to remember that it will be a free upgrade for a year, but then you will have to pay an annual fee to use it.  MS is moving towards the 'software as a service' payment model, as they have already done with the new versions of Office.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 10:17:35 PM »
It is important to remember that it will be a free upgrade for a year, but then you will have to pay an annual fee to use it.  MS is moving towards the 'software as a service' payment model, as they have already done with the new versions of Office.

Linux.

Open Office.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Calumus

• friend

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »
yup.  Windows will not be a subscription, but the apps will go that route.  I'm not sure I have a problem with that if the price is right.  If I'm going to pay $250 (just guestimating) for Office and I'll end up replacing it with a new version in 4 years, $60/year subscription works out to be the same.  It all depends on how much the subscription costs and how often you're upgrading to the next version in a traditional model.

I like Open Office for localized use, but if I have to interact with people using the latest version of Office, I find the feature lag to be an issue.  Of course, this was years ago, it may have improved since.

Chris

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 08:39:50 AM »
I like the newer subscription model. Office isn't cheap and casual folks often aren't interested in paying that much. So they either don't, or they go with Open Office or some such. I know a lot of people that have switched back over to office because they can swallow 70 bucks a year for 1 pc or 100 a year for 5 a lot easier than 220 for a single PC.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 09:40:05 AM »
I read something the other day that said the Raspberry Pi 2 would run Windows 10.  The neat part was that Microsoft was going to offer it free to the maker community for that purpose.  If true, that opens up some interesting possibilities for cool projects.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 10:35:07 AM »
I'm not sure how I would feel about a subscription OS. If I was still working, I'd probably suck it up and pay so that I could be 100% certain of being able to run any Win based programs I might need to telecommute with. Now that I'm a bum, I'm pretty certain I'd just either live with the last non-subscription Win OS version as long as I could, or switch to Linux as my main OS (run it in a VM now).

I already am sure I won't do subscription MS Office. Again, it might be different if I was still working, but I've been getting along fine with Office 2010 for years, and could probably get along fine with Office 2003. Though I'd likely just switch to Open Office, which has gotten VERY compatible with MS Office these last years. I'm not sure if it's 100% compatible at this point, which could be a concern for someone having to collaborate with MS Office users on the job or in business, but as a personal suite, I'd have no problem switching over to it.

Another reason I'd be against subscription services is that they are too cloud based. I like having physical control of my stuff.  :old:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 10:49:15 AM »
I already am sure I won't do subscription MS Office. Again, it might be different if I was still working, but I've been getting along fine with Office 2010 for years, and could probably get along fine with Office 2003. Though I'd likely just switch to Open Office, which has gotten VERY compatible with MS Office these last years. I'm not sure if it's 100% compatible at this point, which could be a concern for someone having to collaborate with MS Office users on the job or in business, but as a personal suite, I'd have no problem switching over to it.

True. For those of us living on social security plus whatever we can eke out from part-time jobs, a subscription-based operating system or application suite just tends to exclude us from the game. I'm still running Windows XP and Office 2003 on my primary desktop and notebook computers. I'll be upgrading to newer computers using Windows 7 soon, but I'll keep using the Office 2003 suite until it becomes impossible.

Another reason I'd be against subscription services is that they are too cloud based. I like having physical control of my stuff.  :old:

Agreed. + eleventy.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »
Is 8.1 lumped in with. 8.0 for the free upgrade? My 2 week old Dell came with 8.1.  As much as I was dreading it 8.1 wasn't the bogeyman I anticipated.

As far as a Office subscription goes I don't need the whole suite. Maybe if they go ala carte ate a reduced price, I'd get along just fine with Word and Excel. OpenOffice will do everything I'm likely to need.

We've got the Adobe CC suite subscription that the wife uses for her graphic design business and I'm using Photoshop and Lightroom but have no need for the rest of it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 11:33:50 AM »
Is 8.1 lumped in with. 8.0 for the free upgrade? My 2 week old Dell came with 8.1.  As much as I was dreading it 8.1 wasn't the bogeyman I anticipated.

As far as a Office subscription goes I don't need the whole suite. Maybe if they go ala carte ate a reduced price, I'd get along just fine with Word and Excel. OpenOffice will do everything I'm likely to need.

We've got the Adobe CC suite subscription that the wife uses for her graphic design business and I'm using Photoshop and Lightroom but have no need for the rest of it.

Should be XP-8.x for the free upgrade.

If you're already figuring you'd get along fine with just a couple of Office components, it sounds like you're one of the target audience for Open Office.

As long as your wife is in "The Biz", I suspect you'll be cemented to the Adobe subscription. That world (which is mostly Mac based) is completely tied to the Adobe products. I used to drive one of our graphic design people crazy, because when they wanted to use some analyzed image I'd done for an article or report or something, I'd provide it to them either via my remote sensing software export function, or via GIMP (which does everything Photoshop does and more for free). They'd always ask me about making some "little change" and phrase it to me in Photoshop terms, which don't translate to any language I speak. Got me out of doing their job for them on many occasions. :)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »
Where is Win10 now? It's out there as a beta release, correct? Are there any reports as to how stable it is in beta? Is it worth looking at if I can free up an old box? What are the minimum hardware requirements?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »
If you're already figuring you'd get along fine with just a couple of Office components, it sounds like you're one of the target audience for Open Office.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010005/5-free-open-source-alternatives-to-microsoft-office.html

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 10:52:26 AM »
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/techflash/2015/02/is-microsoft-planning-a-windows-365-trademark.html?ana=e_sea_rdup&s=newsletter&ed=2015-02-09&u=G/vun7sJocZR54r4qTedGQ00c85a73&t=1423496915

My nephew works for Microsoft, and he is the person who told me that sooner or later, Windows will be software as a service with an annual fee.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 11:13:40 AM »
My nephew works for Microsoft, and he is the person who told me that sooner or later, Windows will be software as a service with an annual fee.

I hope when that happens the computing world will vote with their feet and switch to Linux. It used to be that the operating system was an integral part of the computer; after all, a computer without an operating system is a large doorstop. Selling a computer that includes a rented operating system is about like selling a new car but you have to pay an annual fee or they repossess the tires.

That's just wrong. It's blackmail. MS is counting on the inertia of the installed user base to carry them through such a landmark change. I hope it bites them in the butt -- hard.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 04:44:30 PM »
Windows wouldn't be the first OS to go to a subscription model.  Red Had does that today with their Enterprise Linux.  Some of the Mainframe systems operated on a subscription model IIRC.

What I've been reading with regards to Windows is that the core OS will likely be free, but you'll pay to enable certain features.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 05:59:49 PM »
I hope when that happens the computing world will vote with their feet and switch to Linux. It used to be that the operating system was an integral part of the computer; after all, a computer without an operating system is a large doorstop. Selling a computer that includes a rented operating system is about like selling a new car but you have to pay an annual fee or they repossess the tires.

That's just wrong. It's blackmail. MS is counting on the inertia of the installed user base to carry them through such a landmark change. I hope it bites them in the butt -- hard.

Uh, riiiiight. It's just a market transaction. A computer w/o an operating system is not a large doorstop. It is actually more like a large doorstop that can be easily converted to a Linux/Ubuntu/whatever system, at no charge. So long as Microsoft can still get away with expecting payment for their particular operating system, how is there a moral objection?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2015, 06:49:57 PM »
http://news.slashdot.org/story/15/02/09/1518227/microsoft-trademarks-windows-365

(No, I haven't tried Windows 10.  I've never bothered with beta versions of anything.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 09:22:31 AM »
I haven't tried it yet, but I'll give it a couple of months and then update our Win 8.1 laptop.  After that, if everything goes smoothly I'll make a backup image of my Win7 HTPC and try it on there. 
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 10:29:13 AM »

;/

What's the difference between spending $x a year for a subscription to windows versus paying $xxx every 3 years or so for an upgrade?

Further, you should read your OS license. You NEVER owned it, you've had a license to USE it.

The industry is moving towards subscription models as a whole. Despite the decade (or longer) cries of the "death of Microsoft Office", it's not only gained popularity, but Office 365 is our single biggest moneymaker, raking in enough dough to keep the loss leader XBox afloat, and accounting for a massive amount of revenue (on a 90 percent margin).

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 10:52:47 AM »

The industry is moving towards subscription models as a whole. Despite the decade (or longer) cries of the "death of Microsoft Office", it's not only gained popularity, but Office 365 is our single biggest moneymaker, raking in enough dough to keep the loss leader XBox afloat, and accounting for a massive amount of revenue (on a 90 percent margin).

Kinda presumed Xboxes were to MS Gold subscriptions what printers were to ink cartridges, a machine sold at break-even to get the consumer in a perpetual-resupply (or subscription renewal pipeline)

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB