Author Topic: Help me get a new router  (Read 3045 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Help me get a new router
« on: March 08, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
Our wireless router is dying. We have good fiber service to the house and use devices on wifi throughput the house. Looking for a good router and possibly a booster. Tell me what to buy.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Calumus

• friend

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Help me get a new router
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 08:09:15 PM »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:46:02 PM »
Is the AC worth the money over an N?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 11:17:51 PM »
It's not for me. I have a 50mb fios connection, and I can run at full speed wirelessly without an issue. If you're transferring large files over wireless, and everything has an ac card it may be.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 08:39:33 AM »
Is the AC worth the money over an N?

Depends what you want to do. If you're browsing the net and the heaviest thing you do is watch Netflix, an N16 will do you fine. I use one at home, and it's good enough for me but regularly moving around TB of data is taxing it. I'm replacing it with RT-AC68U. I have one at work that's within arm reach.

AC has two things, beefier CPU and generally USB3 port(s). Well, and AC speed, obviously. You can use the Asus router as a makeshift NAS, by plugging in an external hard drive. If you want to do this, USB3 is pretty important. If not, not a big deal. Beefier CPU is only necessary if you plan on having complex router configuration. VPN, complex filtering rules, using it as a print server, using it as a NAS. If you're just going to use it as a router with near default config, get the N. If you plan on doing wild and crazy stuff, get the AC.

I think the N will be just fine. I think an N16 will suit your needs, but the N66U will do you fine. AC68U is definitely overkill for your needs, probably. Let me know if you need dimensions, power usage, speed testing or whatnot.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 01:26:42 PM »
I see all of my network professional type friends are recommending the Asus. Are they really a significant gain over say a netgear etc? Is that a performance thing, or durability, or?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 01:27:40 PM »
I see all of my network professional type friends are recommending the Asus. Are they really a significant gain over say a netgear etc? Is that a performance thing, or durability, or?

Yes.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »
Lol. Good enough.  =D

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 02:04:16 PM »
I am certainly making a mental note for if/when the Motorola Surfboard dies.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 03:25:26 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1425925797&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+router

Spend the extra if you can. Avoid headaches later on. I set my parents up with the 56 and its been a total pain. Unfortunately, they're stuck with it until they move south once their house in Jersey sells. I'm not willing to try to walk them through setting up a router over the phone.

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 06:41:14 PM »
I am certainly making a mental note for if/when the Motorola Surfboard dies.
Me too.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
I ended up with the http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1425925797&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+router

Buy once cry once as they say, and we spend enough time doing stuff on wifi that a good router is cost effective. Now to see how it compares to our old one and if we need to add an extender.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »
:Sigh:

Once again I am reminded of just what a troglodyte I am. I saw the title of this thread and my mind immediately turned to

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 10:13:56 PM »
Right there with ya Hawkmoon and  zxcvbob  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 09:53:34 AM »
I ended up with the http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1425925797&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+router

Buy once cry once as they say, and we spend enough time doing stuff on wifi that a good router is cost effective. Now to see how it compares to our old one and if we need to add an extender.

Yep, that'll do you just fine.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 01:39:23 PM »

Speaking of. Suggestions for wood type routers? Been pondering picking one up.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 03:02:48 PM »

I really like my Porter Cable router.  It's a fixed-base 1/2" (also comes with a 1/4" collet) but I think there's a plunge base available for it.
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 03:19:22 PM »

Porter Cable and Bosch are good. Fixed base is more precise, I'd get one of those first unless you really need a plunge type. Get a round base, the square ones are a PITA to keep a straight cut along a fence.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 01:02:54 AM »
Houston, we have a problem.

There is no modem. Coax comes out of the wall, hits a splitter. One side of the split goes direct to the tv, the other goes to the old router. No separate modem, and no coax port on the new asus. Must be a combination modem/router?

So, here's a picture of the old router with the list of connections. Do I hook the asus router to one of the LAN Ethernet ports like a normal computer would be? There is also a WAN port, would that be better? Aside from the actual words that compose the acronyms I don't know the practical difference between the two and I've never tried to hook one router to another.

Should I just get a separate modem that'll handle the coax?

« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:13:51 AM by Balog »

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 01:11:16 AM »
Should I just get a separate modem that'll handle the coax?

Probably the easiest.  Yeah, you'd just run an ethernet cable from the modem to the router, even if they're both routers.

There's some complexities if you get a separate router for configuring it, depending on what you want to do, that I don't feel like walking you through unless you really decide to go that way.

To wit:  making sure NAT, DHCP, firewall, and routing are working correctly.  You want to avoid doubling up, but which router does what is up to how configurable they are, how you have them plugged in, etc...

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 01:14:31 AM »
Who is your ISP? You said you had fiber; but not from who. If its FIOS, then you can set the existing modem/router as a passthrough.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 01:48:31 AM »
Who is your ISP? You said you had fiber; but not from who. If its FIOS, then you can set the existing modem/router as a passthrough.

It was fios, but locally they were bought out by Frontier. Same infrastructure I believe though.