Author Topic: Exchange Student Injured by Bison  (Read 3274 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Exchange Student Injured by Bison
« on: May 16, 2015, 11:25:44 PM »
http://missoulian.com/news/weird-news/exchange-student-injured-by-bison-in-yellowstone-park/article_16c2580b-fee2-5d86-bd4d-f5e03d73d801.html

Taiwanese exchange student tries to get a picture a few feet away from a buffalo right by Old Faithful.  The predictable happened.

There are signs about this..  lots of them.  She's an exchange student so presumably she reads and speaks English...

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Exchange Student Injured by Bison
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:29:24 PM »
Every year, somebody tries to pet the buffalo.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 11:36:03 PM »

Coincidentally, many people have been buffaloed by Gore.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 11:40:43 PM »
Every year, somebody tries to pet the buffalo.

If that's not already a euphemism for something, then it should be! 
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 11:43:38 PM »
I'll be pettin' mah buffalo!
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 01:20:36 AM »
Saw that happen to a couple of Japanese bus tour passengers at Yellowstone Lodge by Old Faithful.

As a side note my brother and I were talking loudly about how Old Faithful was controlled by a big pump in a nearby small building while a park ranger was extolling the virtues of O.F.  He was not amused with us when Old Faithful went off and you could hear a pump kick in in the little nearby building. =D =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 01:31:48 AM »

Man that was funny !  Thread winner !
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 01:40:26 AM »
I grew up in Lawton OK, the home to Ft Sill. Close by was the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge that had a good sized herd of bufflers as well as free ranging longhorn cattle. It wasn't summer until some yahoo from "back east" went out to the refuge and tried to pet a cow or buff, it usually didn't end well for the visitor. ;)

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 01:47:35 AM »
I watched about 10 people stand under a tree in GSM National Park. The tree was about 300 yards from any other tree or hiding place. It was 400 back to the cars. In the tree was mama bear and 3 yearling cubs. People standing directly under.  :facepalm: I was 50 yards back and judged to be dinner by some wag since I was on crutches.  ;/ Apparently they had not heard of the can't run, wait for loud noise method of self defense.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 08:07:18 AM »
I feel sorry for the bison

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 08:18:44 AM »
When I went to Yellowstone a few years ago my idiot grandmother tried to get out of the car to take a picture of the buffalo a few feet in front of us. I had to yell at her not to be a dumbass and do it...

*expletive deleted*ing idiots...people get *expletive deleted*ing stupid around the wildlife.

I watched about 10 people stand under a tree in GSM National Park. The tree was about 300 yards from any other tree or hiding place. It was 400 back to the cars. In the tree was mama bear and 3 yearling cubs. People standing directly under.  Face Palm! I was 50 yards back and judged to be dinner by some wag since I was on crutches.  rolleyes Apparently they had not heard of the can't run, wait for loud noise method of self defens

Doesn't surprise me a bit. The problem with the Great Smokey Mountains NP is the *expletive deleted*ing idiots that make up a good portion of the visitor population who want to feed the bears, get close to the bears, take pictures of and with the bears...yeah the way black bears have become so comfortable with the humans is a problem...

Our bears were afraid of humans so you did not see them often and when you did encounter one they ran away because they were scared, instead of seeing you as a food source because of the *expletive deleted*ing tourists.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 09:16:27 AM »
I don't like domesticated animals that big. No way I'm getting near a Bison. You would think at some point the kids hind brain would say something 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »

I concur with 230. Thread win.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 10:04:04 AM »
When I was a kid, my dad took the family to Yellowstone. I clearly remember a guy leaning over a guard rail trying to get a close-up photo of a bear. Then the bear swiped his face with its claws. It was a big deal, with an ambulance and ranger vehicles and whatnot. I felt sorry for the bear.

On a motorcycle trip, I stopped in Custer Park in SD. I was stopped, and a bison came right up and was rubbing against me. Aside from not wanting to become his boy toy, I was concerned about what to do. I thought trying to start the bike and take off might spook him. So, I just didn't move. Apparently I wasn't exciting enough for him and he left.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 03:52:38 PM »
Some years back a buddy's sister and her boyfriend visited Yellowstone and saw people feeding the bears . . . one idiot couple got out of their car and Mommy tried to take a picture while Daddy set Junior on top of one of the bears.

Junior was none too happy about this, and thanks to his screaming and kicking the bear - looking rather perplexed and annoyed - finally just ran off into the woods.

Mommy and Daddy were PO'd at Junior and scolded him " . . . for scaring Yogi away . . . "

:facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »
Smart kid.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 04:48:46 PM »
Some years back a buddy's sister and her boyfriend visited Yellowstone and saw people feeding the bears . . . one idiot couple got out of their car and Mommy tried to take a picture while Daddy set Junior on top of one of the bears.

Junior was none too happy about this, and thanks to his screaming and kicking the bear - looking rather perplexed and annoyed - finally just ran off into the woods.

Mommy and Daddy were PO'd at Junior and scolded him " . . . for scaring Yogi away . . . "

The park rangers would never allow dangerous bears to go so close to tourists.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 04:49:21 PM »
I grew up in Lawton OK, the home to Ft Sill. Close by was the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge that had a good sized herd of bufflers as well as free ranging longhorn cattle. It wasn't summer until some yahoo from "back east" went out to the refuge and tried to pet a cow or buff, it usually didn't end well for the visitor. ;)

bob
Were any of them trying cow tipping?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 04:08:38 AM »
I read of an incident in the seventies - a couple from europe wanted a pic of a bear licking their toddler, so they smeared honey on the kids hand ....they got a pic of the bear licking and a bear biting the hand off. :mad:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 04:46:30 AM »
I read of an incident in the seventies - a couple from europe wanted a pic of a bear licking their toddler, so they smeared honey on the kids hand ....they got a pic of the bear licking and a bear biting the hand off. :mad:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 07:40:39 AM »
Curious if Darwin won.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 02:27:52 PM »
On a motorcycle trip, I stopped in Custer Park in SD. I was stopped, and a bison came right up and was rubbing against me. Aside from not wanting to become his boy toy, I was concerned about what to do. I thought trying to start the bike and take off might spook him. So, I just didn't move. Apparently I wasn't exciting enough for him and he left.

Sure.  We believe you.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 03:20:32 PM »
Curious if Darwin won.
So far, the tourist will live. 

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 03:33:07 PM »
So far, the tourist will live.

And Monkeyleg won't accept responsibility for the werebison roaming the plains.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 08:19:43 PM »
And Monkeyleg won't accept responsibility for the werebison roaming the plains.

:D