Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 52842 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #175 on: August 16, 2015, 11:45:45 PM »
I ordered it. Fingers crossed.

The Square Trade plan they offer in conjunction with it is merely an extended warranty and not an accidental damage protection plan. The laptop has a one year warranty from the refurbisher and I have 21 days to return it to Woot if there is a problem, I think I am good to go without the Square Trade plan- my main concern is from accidental damage but looks like I will have to forgo that for this one.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2015, 08:17:37 AM »
What do you think of this? http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-elitebook-8740w-17-500gb-laptop-1?ref=cnt_wp_7_1

I'm pretty sure I can't really match these specs for cheaper than $600 or so elsewhere and it won't be a business class computer

The HP's tend to hold up well.  At least, the business line.  The main laptop here, and the secondary and tertiary spares, are scavenged HP business systems.

Yeah, grab it.

my main concern is from accidental damage but looks like I will have to forgo that for this one.

I've only sold laptops with accidental damage coverage a couple of times.  It really jacks up the price of a laptop, for the vendor to offer that.  Unless you've got a reason for it, I'd pass.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2015, 11:07:58 AM »
I switched from Dell to HP and never looked back. Running an old HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC with an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz and 6 gig of RAM. It's rock solid and plenty fast for what I do so why upgrade?

Back on topic: If ya are a power user, ya want to do this; Create a folder on yer desktop and name it
Code: [Select]
GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}You're welcome.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #178 on: August 17, 2015, 09:06:09 PM »
FML it's coming fedex to my work (fedex is completely unpredictable at what time they will deliver, could be 1pm or could be 530pm, as opposed to UPS which is boringly reliable). Coming from NY, should be here by Thursday.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2015, 07:05:32 PM »
So it got here a day early.

This is an awesome computer. Much better than what I could afford new. Runs nice and quick. It's a beast, especially for the price. Getting everything set up now...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 07:30:01 PM by Boomhauer »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2015, 08:01:57 PM »
Well, I did the update on my win8 laptop today. I should have listened to my little voice that said not to do it a week before I'm gonna take it on vacation.

Nothing "wrong" per se, but some stuff is slower. Firefox takes three times as long to start as it used to, but the edge browser starts immediately (like Firefox used to). I also had to remove Classic Shell because it would hang when I tried to open it (gonna try and reinstall it later). Libre Office started just about as fast as before, so on the browser, I can't help but wonder if MS is doing some kind of "Why isn't edge starting as the browser?" check that slows down Firefox.

Also, Lenovo has a message that pops up for a few seconds every time you switch to a different screen mode (laptop, tent, tablet). It used to just flash, but now MS has captured the messages somehow and they show up and collect in an MS 'notifications' window, which is a bunch of extra clutter that I don't need.

Maybe it will just take a little while for everything to recognize everything else. Or else I'll be spending time I don't wan to spend going through and tweaking crap. I'm definitely not upgrading my Win7 machine. Maybe ever.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #181 on: August 20, 2015, 08:23:39 PM »

Nothing "wrong" per se, but some stuff is slower. Firefox takes three times as long to start as it used to, but the edge browser starts immediately (like Firefox used to). I also had to remove Classic Shell because it would hang when I tried to open it (gonna try and reinstall it later). Libre Office started just about as fast as before, so on the browser, I can't help but wonder if MS is doing some kind of "Why isn't edge starting as the browser?" check that slows down Firefox.

Or do they load it into memory when you start the machine?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #182 on: August 20, 2015, 08:26:22 PM »
Okay, I guess I blew my top George Costanza style a little early. Firefox is starting faster now, and I stopped the notification window from recording everything. I still need to take some time to go through and tweak stuff. Like I have some notification sound that's gone off at odd intervals since the update, and I can't track down what's making it go 'ding" yet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2015, 08:54:27 PM »
Do ya really need Classic Shell on 10? I set mine up without it and live great without it.

As for 10 overall, been on it since the 29th and am actually quite happy with it. HATE the Edge browser and use a clean install of Google Chrome instead. Chrome DOES get ticked off if you have a ton of bookmarks (I had > 900) but since I cut that number in half, it is fine.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2015, 08:59:47 PM »
MOLON LABE!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2015, 02:24:50 PM »
Ok, Ok Ok...

So Win 10 free update yeah or nay???

What says the greater APS brainpool???

I don't usually trust free candy  =|
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »
Ok, Ok Ok...

So Win 10 free update yeah or nay???

What says the greater APS brainpool???

I don't usually trust free candy  =|

My opinion only, but if you have win8, I guess so. If you have Win7 I would wait a while.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2015, 03:03:15 PM »
Win 8. And I hatez it. Even considered rolling back to 7.

Just don't want to end up with something I will hate even more.

Update: UGH...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rczgCmoNSSE
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:50:06 PM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »
Actually I'm the other way around.

If you have 7 I would jump in for the improvements under the hood. If you have 8/8.1 and you like it (moot since you don't, but for others sake) let your mood and desire for something new guide you since under the hood doesn't seem to be a big enough difference to sell it on it's own merits yet.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2015, 09:56:31 PM »
Hey, anyone who watched Blakenzy's link:

Near the end, when he does his host update in regedit, it sounded to me like it was setting things up so that MS could no longer push updates and you could just get them manually when you wanted to. Did I misunderstand that?

Even if I didn't, apparently, according to the comments, they are already disabling workarounds on turning off all the telemetry stuff. Doesn't seem like that's gonna fly very well on the corporate users side.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2015, 10:10:15 PM »
I had 8 now 8.1.  I don't use the 'puter for much other than ranting, raving, Book of Faces, pics, e mails, surfing interesting web sites, news and such.   I have figured out how to navigate this hateful system well enough to suit my purposes.  I ain't going for 10 as I suspect it's a trap and I'll have to engage in "How Far Can I Throw The Laptop This Time".  I don't want to spend another $400.00 because I fell for another Microsoft conspiracy to piss me off and discover that the laptop does not work like one of those Australian thingies you throw and they come back...again.  Oh, yeah...a Boomerang.  
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2015, 03:38:46 AM »
I upgraded 3 8.1 notebooks to 10 without issues and one 7 Pro, again without issue. So far I'm happy!
MOLON LABE!

bscl

• friends
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2015, 01:52:25 PM »
I found out the hard way this past weekend that MS dropped the ability to read disks with Safedisc copy protection in Windows 10.  Our newer machine at home came with Windows 8.1, so I figured I'd upgrade it first and then do the Win 7 machine later.  Unfortunately, my son is into older games and I spent two days trying to figure out why the original Call of Duty would not install - it would spit the disk out and then reboot when I put it back in.  Here's one of the articles I found: 
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2015/08/18/microsoft-drm-windows-10/1

I may go back to 10 later on when he gets tired of the game. 
Life Member NRA, SAF

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »

I had to put out official word to our users that we did not recommend migrating to Win 10. After the fifth or six laptop or desktop that got boinked to some degree.

Some people, it works flawlessly. Others, Windows 10 can only be fixed by formatting and reinstalling Windows 7. There's a wide variety of hardware, and it's not exactly unexpected when you're talking thousands of different configurations. I stand by my original recommendation, stay on Win 7 if you have or can get it. If you're on 8 or 8.1, you have very little to lose.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2015, 03:23:37 PM »
I had to put out official word to our users that we did not recommend migrating to Win 10. After the fifth or six laptop or desktop that got boinked to some degree.

Some people, it works flawlessly. Others, Windows 10 can only be fixed by formatting and reinstalling Windows 7. There's a wide variety of hardware, and it's not exactly unexpected when you're talking thousands of different configurations. I stand by my original recommendation, stay on Win 7 if you have or can get it. If you're on 8 or 8.1, you have very little to lose.

I agree.

I've not really had any problem installing 10 (upgraded from 7 each time), but almost every time I've rolled back to 7.

The annoyances of 8 are still there in 10, and I'm finding little compelling about it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #195 on: September 25, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »
I'm still giving my clients a firm hold off notice. As far as I'm concerned, its no different then in the past. You don't switch to a new Microsoft OS until the first service pack rolls out.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2015, 03:44:04 PM »
I'm still giving my clients a firm hold off notice. As far as I'm concerned, its no different then in the past. You don't switch to a new Microsoft OS until the first service pack rolls out.

According to this guy, you have a few weeks to go, then.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2973432/microsoft-windows/windows-10-patch-kb-3081444-service-packs.html
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2015, 04:10:18 PM »
We are sticking to our guns with our customers to not upgrade 7 to 10, very few were on 8.1 but we can be talked into upgrading that if the hw/sw is all supported (and we charge T&M to do it), new PCs can be on 10 if all applications explicitly support it.  No some dude on a forum says it works, need it from the vendor.  Otherwise we are still sticking them on 7.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2015, 04:15:47 PM »
I had mentioned a while back in this thread the travel laptop I'd migrated over, and thought I'd worked out most of the bugs. A big one that popped up is that my Verizon 4G modem will not work on 10. Verizon has a workaround they've posted, but it has mixed results, and it failed for me. Not necessarily Microsoft's fault, but being able to use the modem instead of a hotel or coffee shop  WiFi connection is a big deal to me, and if a fix isn't out very soon, I'll likely roll back so I can use the more secure modem.

As I've stated previously, my main laptop is going to continue humming along wonderfully on Win7.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #199 on: September 25, 2015, 04:40:17 PM »

Windows 8.1 was really just SP1. Windows 10 is Windows 8 SP2. Microsoft has moved away from substantial service packs offering significant new and better functionality, and often deferring that to new operating systems. MS may call certain things "service packs", but they're mostly just patch and hotfix rollups with only new functionality where they cannot avoid it.

I'm guessing the eventual 10.1 will be actually Windows 8 SP3, and probably about the time it actually gets useful.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.