Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 52816 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2015, 01:52:09 PM »
Fitz, I encountered a page listing versions and support says that Windows 7 "Mainstream Support" has already expired, and that "Extended Support" will last until January 14, 2020.

What does that mean? What's the difference between "Mainstream" support and "Extended" support?

http://www.allyncs.com/docs/lifecyclesupport.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »
If you already have Windows 10 reserved, there's no need to wait.
Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, select 32 or 64-bit, follow the prompts, and you're off and running.

I did this with all 3 of my upgrades.

..edited for clarity..

The download tool also wanted me to choose between Pro and Pro N. N is apparently for certain European countries where Media Player, Skype, and other applications can't be included with the operating system.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2015, 04:19:29 PM »
Fitz, I encountered a page listing versions and support says that Windows 7 "Mainstream Support" has already expired, and that "Extended Support" will last until January 14, 2020.

What does that mean? What's the difference between "Mainstream" support and "Extended" support?

http://www.allyncs.com/docs/lifecyclesupport.html
i do believe that refers to business/enterprise versions of the OS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2015, 04:58:16 PM »
Interesting...Hyper-v in the list of Windows features.   (Will find out in a minute if that will let me manage Hyper-v for 2008R2)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Re: Windows 10 is already screwing up my life
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2015, 06:00:20 PM »
Windows 10 is already screwing up my life. Thanks, Obama.

I "upgraded" the notebook computer to 10 yesterday. This is the computer my wife uses for watching the Hulu. Everything seems just fine, but first thing this morning I'm having to fix the audio. I spent about fifteen minutes messing with it, and I even turned it off and back on again (with an Irish accent). It turns out that it was just that specific episode of the stupid show she was trying to watch that had TU audio playback, and the computer had been just fine.

Stupid Windows 10.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Windows 10 is already screwing up my life
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2015, 11:13:12 PM »
Windows 10 is already screwing up my life. Thanks, Bill Gates! LONG LIVE STEVE JOBS!.

I "upgraded" the notebook computer to 10 yesterday. This is the computer my wife uses for watching the Hulu. Everything seems just fine, but first thing this morning I'm having to fix the audio. I spent about fifteen minutes messing with it, and I even turned it off and back on again (with an Irish accent). It turns out that it was just that specific episode of the stupid show she was trying to watch that had TU audio playback, and the computer had been just fine.

Stupid Windows 10.

FTFY
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2015, 09:39:54 AM »
a CPU intensive game (Civilization V) seems to run a *lot* slower on Windows 10 laptop than it did on the same machine with Win 7 Pro.  I'm about 300 turns into a game, and it has gotten to where I have to toggle the game into "strategic mode" (simple 2D map with no animations) to have it even select a unit when I click on it.  For the first 150 to 200 turns it was okay, but after that it deteriorated very quickly.

But before I can definitively blame it on Windows, I need to check the video and graphics options more closely; see if something changed to higher resolution.  Or if maybe my WorldCommunityGrid background process (protein folding) is running even tho' it is supposed to suspend whenever Civ is loaded (the machine has enough RAM to handle both, but not enough processor cores, plus it will overheat)
"It's good, though..."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »
a CPU intensive game (Civilization V) seems to run a *lot* slower on Windows 10 laptop

I've read quite a bit that game-slowness in Windows 10 is most commonly caused by the presence of the built-in XBox app (I'm guessing it's the hooks the app puts into games to enable video streaming to friends). The app can't be uninstalled normally. You can remove it however, by doing the following:

-Start Powershell (do a desktop/start-menu search for powershell to find it)
-In Powershell, copy/paste in the following command:

Get-AppxPackage *xbox* | Remove-AppxPackage

and hit enter. You'll get a wall of red errors, but it should be removed.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2015, 10:21:10 AM »
Welp I'm about to be pulled into Windows 10 whether I want it or not- laptop is degrading to the point where it's time for a replacement- case is falling apart and the keyboard is failing (right now can't do periods and commas) plus the computer is being aggravating in other little ways

Current laptop is a Toshiba which hasn't been too horrific but the hinge design on it has caused issues

So looking at an Asus for around $430 was looking at a $300 Lenovo that seemed OK in the store but the reviews on it are not good at all so going to step up by a hundred bucks or so and see what I can get

Might also look at Dell (my first Dell lasted me about 6 years and Mom's cheap Inspiron is still in great shape after 5 years or so

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
Being old-fashioned and highly resistant to change, on the new(er) notebooks with Windows 7 I run them with the display in Classic mode, to emulate Windows XP as much as possible. Is Classic mode still available in Windows 10?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2015, 06:32:25 PM »
Being old-fashioned and highly resistant to change, on the new(er) notebooks with Windows 7 I run them with the display in Classic mode, to emulate Windows XP as much as possible. Is Classic mode still available in Windows 10?

I'm thinking, maybe not.  I'm into something called "taskbar and start menu properties".  Nothing in there to manipulate the start menu.  Neither am I seeing anything helpful in settings -- personalization.

Classic Shell?

---edit to add---

Yup, the latest Classic Shell will do it, mostly.  Some tweaking required.

BTW, here's another tip:  Command prompt, right click, "run as administrator".  "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy".  This will restore the F8 startup menu the way it worked in Win 7, so you can more easily get to the recovery environment and maybe actually fix the problem when you can't boot.

http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/enable-f8-safe-mode-boot-menu.8/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:47:28 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2015, 07:12:38 PM »
Nevermind

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2015, 07:39:32 PM »
Welp I'm about to be pulled into Windows 10 whether I want it or not- laptop is degrading to the point where it's time for a replacement- case is falling apart and the keyboard is failing (right now can't do periods and commas) plus the computer is being aggravating in other little ways

Current laptop is a Toshiba which hasn't been too horrific but the hinge design on it has caused issues

So looking at an Asus for around $430 was looking at a $300 Lenovo that seemed OK in the store but the reviews on it are not good at all so going to step up by a hundred bucks or so and see what I can get

Might also look at Dell (my first Dell lasted me about 6 years and Mom's cheap Inspiron is still in great shape after 5 years or so

Woot has been running good sales

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2015, 09:56:34 PM »

I wouldn't sweat it. The W10 desktop GUI will feel very familiar and intuitive to anyone used to traditional Windows menuing systems. You'll notice some of the icons are slightly different and the look a little more streamlined but you shouldn't have any trouble with it.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2015, 10:09:16 PM »
I wouldn't sweat it. The W10 desktop GUI will feel very familiar and intuitive to anyone used to traditional Windows menuing systems. You'll notice some of the icons are slightly different and the look a little more streamlined but you shouldn't have any trouble with it.

I don't have "trouble" with the Windows 7 standard GUI, but I prefer the Windows Classic GUI.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2015, 10:12:47 PM »
Ran into my first hmm moment tonight. Fallout 3 didn't want to work. It now counts as an older game, so is to be somewhat expected. A little tweaking and setting to comparability mode seems to have made it right with the world though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2015, 10:44:19 PM »
Woot has been running good sales

Yep!  Hard to beat an HP refurb deal and Woot has them quite frequently.  I paid $289 for a decent 17" HP laptop a month ago.  Got two of them actually.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2015, 10:55:10 PM »
I grabbed this one 300
http://www.woot.com/offers/hp-15-6-amd-quad-core-touch-laptop-22

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #168 on: August 15, 2015, 11:27:19 PM »
Yep!  Hard to beat an HP refurb deal and Woot has them quite frequently.  I paid $289 for a decent 17" HP laptop a month ago.  Got two of them actually.

What do you think of this? http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-elitebook-8740w-17-500gb-laptop-1?ref=cnt_wp_7_1

I'm pretty sure I can't really match these specs for cheaper than $600 or so elsewhere and it won't be a business class computer

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2015, 02:16:38 AM »
I don't have "trouble" with the Windows 7 standard GUI, but I prefer the Windows Classic GUI.

Why? For performance sake?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2015, 03:32:09 AM »
Why? For performance sake?

No, for visibility sake. I'm much happier with sharp colors and square corners. I'm partially color-blind (red-green weak, to be more accurate). The trend to softer, pastel screen colors makes newer web sites, and Windows 7, very difficult for me to see.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »
No, for visibility sake. I'm much happier with sharp colors and square corners. I'm partially color-blind (red-green weak, to be more accurate). The trend to softer, pastel screen colors makes newer web sites, and Windows 7, very difficult for me to see.

Then you'll love the W10 desktop interface. Clean and crisp.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2015, 02:41:36 PM »
I just set it up for the first time on my daughter's new laptop. She went from Vista on the old one to 10 (upgraded from the preinstalled 8.1) on the new one. Once I turned off all the phone home crap and the windows update setting that uses my bandwidth for MS's own private windows update torrenting it seems to be pretty nice.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2015, 09:46:56 PM »
What do you think of this? http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-elitebook-8740w-17-500gb-laptop-1?ref=cnt_wp_7_1

I'm pretty sure I can't really match these specs for cheaper than $600 or so elsewhere and it won't be a business class computer

I'd jump on it if that's what you need.  If my work desktop needed replacement I'd be on that like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2015, 10:26:40 PM »
Yeah missed that. I'd jump on it.