Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 52874 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2015, 07:08:38 PM »
Yup.  Generally, the Win32 API was such a complete *mess* that "anything goes" wasn't merely a saying....

So, checking for version numbers.... Let's just decide to check for a certain string and not actually query the version number, shall we?

Probably concerned that with M$'s "standardization," the process to pull the version number would change at some point and break their code.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2015, 07:24:17 PM »
Probably concerned that with M$'s "standardization," the process to pull the version number would change at some point and break their code.

build numbers on windows have been standard for approximately forever. And the convention below is used across a multitude of products. It's been in the same registry key for at least as far back as XP, and i'm fairly sure it was there in 95/NT4.0 as well

*note: list is not exactly chronologically ordered*

http://gaijin.at/en/lstwinver.php

It appears that with RTM of windows 10, they decided that the marketing name should match the build:

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
OS Version:                10.0.10240 N/A Build 10240
OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration:          Member Workstation
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
Interesting development... last two mornings I turned on the TV to find a Win10 ad as my DirecTV console's power saver background. What the heck...? I turned off the location, sharing, and wifi autoconnect services so what is this business? Also, one day the PC was powered up and tue next it was off (full power down, not hibernate/sleep).

Anyone have ideas? Correction... Anyone have ideas that relate to the subject at hand?

Brad
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 11:46:48 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »
Interesting development... last two mornings I turned on the TV to find a Win10 ad as my DirecTV console's power saver background. What the heck...? I turned off the location, sharing, and wifi autoconnect services so what is this business? Also, one day the PC was powered up and tue next it was off (full power down, not hibernate/sleep).

Anyone have ideas? Correction... Anyone have ideas that relate to the subject at hand?

Brad

Not sure on the power issue, but directtv is one of many places we're marketing with. It's not really surprising to see win 10 ads the week of the launch :-D
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2015, 07:30:20 PM »
Yeah, but on the hibernation screen?

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »
Yeah, but on the hibernation screen?

Brad

Apparently so. I've seen my background changed to different *expletive deleted*it on my Roku device during special promos, so it's not unheard of.

What, precisely, do you think happened to your device? Do you think some microsoft malware came in and edited your *expletive deleted*it?  >:D
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2015, 09:27:55 PM »

Poltergeists
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2015, 09:44:07 PM »
Poltergeists, eh? Wish those biotches would do some otherworld portal-making that let the xbox YouTube app stream without buffering.

Brad
-HankB

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2015, 10:20:41 PM »
Wife has a brand new Toshiba Laptop that was running 8.1 ... somehow she now has 10.0 ... we can't even figure out how to get online ... I think she clicked something when it was downloading that causes it not to see the available networks and for the life of me I can't figure it out ... any ideas ??
 [popcorn]
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

robear

• friend
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2015, 06:05:58 PM »
I upgraded my main PC (a desktop I built) from W7 to W10 late last week and only found out today that Microsoft removed (aka deprecated) the "Send e-mail" and "Display a message" options from the Task Scheduler.    This started with Windows 8, it turns out.    I use the Display a Message tasks as a quick-and-dirty way to remind me of upcoming events and bills due, etc...    The only option left is "Run a Program".   My google-fu is pretty good and I found the solution HERE.   The solution given is specific to Windows 8, but I found it worked just fine for W10 also.    I used the powershell option.

Otherwise, I am pretty happy with Windows 10.    I have also since upgraded my HTPC running Kodi and my SurfacePro 2.   So for so good.

As always, back up everything first.   I highly recommend the free version of Macrium Reflect. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2015, 09:50:07 PM »
Beware upgrading unless you are damn sure...

Mom decided to upgrade to 10 from 7. She asked me first, I told her not to. She went ahead and did it.  :facepalm:

Printers no workee. Business statements had to be printed out tonight. I was able to get drivers for the printers but the issue is mainly in the printer spool, and restarting it gets it to work about 30 seconds and then it quits again. I was able to get her to email said documents to my computer and I spent a good hour printing them out. Told her to revert to Windows 7 pronto.

"If It Ain't Broke, Then Don't Fix It" is something I tell people all the time yet they don't listen...and then I get to go clean up the mess.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2015, 11:34:44 PM »
Beware upgrading unless you are damn sure...
Printers no workee. Business statements had to be printed out tonight. I was able to get drivers for the printers but the issue is mainly in the printer spool, and restarting it gets it to work about 30 seconds and then it quits again. I was able to get her to email said documents to my computer and I spent a good hour printing them out. Told her to revert to Windows 7 pronto

Had the same issue with my old HP laserjet. Don't bother trying to get Win10 to autoload the driver. Go to the mfg web site and get their dedicated Win10 diver utility. Install and reboot. Easier and damn sure faster than reverting to 7.

Brad
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2015, 01:43:08 PM »
I had to spend hours and hours searching the internet to finally find a driver that would run my old printer* on Windows 7  =(

Of course, it had worked just fine on XP without any special effort  ;/

* Don't laugh - it was a commercial grade printer back 20 years ago.  And for occasional use, at least the ribbon doesn't plug up like an ink jet   ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2015, 02:10:47 PM »
* Don't laugh - it was a commercial grade printer back 20 years ago.  And for occasional use, at least the ribbon doesn't plug up like an ink jet   ;)

I ended up buying a laserjet over a inkjet for that very reason - besides some of the advantages of laser over ink(relatively water-resistant prints for one), toner doesn't expire/dry out like ink.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »
I ended up buying a laserjet over a inkjet for that very reason - besides some of the advantages of laser over ink(relatively water-resistant prints for one), toner doesn't expire/dry out like ink.

Why should I buy anything when I have the printer and a couple boxes of fanfold, just to print out a couple monthly reports for the VFD ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2015, 02:43:21 PM »
Why should I buy anything when I have the printer and a couple boxes of fanfold, just to print out a couple monthly reports for the VFD ?

You and O'Reilly Auto Parts. They still use fanfold multipart sales receipts on Okidata DMP24 printers.

Brad
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2015, 04:05:42 PM »
You and O'Reilly Auto Parts. They still use fanfold multipart sales receipts on Okidata DMP24 printers.

Brad

I still have George Washington's axe.  Of course it's had a couple new heads and a dozen new handles since then  :laugh:

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2015, 04:45:55 PM »

Brad
That is crazy...I've seen it in action.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »

And I can always read my receipts from O'Reilly.  More than I can say for a lot of places.

Personally, I'd love to have an Oki 80 and a lifetime supply of ribbon for it.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2015, 07:11:05 PM »
I went to the dark side this morning. No problems with the upgrade other than the usual annoyances associated with an upgrade like resetting all my customization.
Only problem is I can't log into APS  from my desktop because I forgot my password and I can't reset my password from my phone because I lost my password and the email password reset notification from APS doesn't seem to be working.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2015, 07:26:59 PM »
I went to the dark side this morning. No problems with the upgrade other than the usual annoyances associated with an upgrade like resetting all my customization.
Only problem is I can't log into APS  from my desktop because I forgot my password and I can't reset my password from my phone because I lost my password and the email password reset notification from APS doesn't seem to be working.

I just replied to your PM. PM me back and lemme know when you're ready for me to reset your pw.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2015, 07:32:37 PM »
I had to download and install KB2952664  and KB3034483 (Windows Update didn't load them automatically or even have them available.)  Then wait 24 hours for MS to find them, and the upgrade flag showed up in the system tray.  I haven't upgraded it yet.  This is a spare machine that it's okay if I trash and have to rebuild.  I think I'm going to reinstall 7 first because a lot of things seem to be missing. (like a DVD player) then upgrade the clean install.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2015, 09:23:18 PM »
I just replied to your PM. PM me back and lemme know when you're ready for me to reset your pw.

Thanks, Ben, I'm all good now.

Too many passwords to remember  :old:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2015, 09:40:33 PM »
No problemo RKL.

Question to all:  So I finally got the download notice on my 8.1 laptop. Before  I start, regarding the MS versus local account for OS setup - Is the choice obvious on 10 as it is on 8.1 (albeit it with the "local account" choice in dinky text at the bottom of that particular screen) or do I have to dig around or else reset after install? I would prefer to setup with a local account from the git-go. I have no MS account and would like to keep it that way.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2015, 10:35:40 PM »
No problemo RKL.

Question to all:  So I finally got the download notice on my 8.1 laptop. Before  I start, regarding the MS versus local account for OS setup - Is the choice obvious on 10 as it is on 8.1 (albeit it with the "local account" choice in dinky text at the bottom of that particular screen) or do I have to dig around or else reset after install? I would prefer to setup with a local account from the git-go. I have no MS account and would like to keep it that way.

I don't recall any questions about using an MS account when I did the 10 Home upgrade on my wife's laptop.  It has no ties to an MS account at all before and after the upgrade.

At work with my 7 Pro machine the install won't get started.  I've put the ISO on a USB drive (correctly!) and it ejects it during the 'Preparing' stage randomly. I burn it to an ISO and it gets beyond that but gives a generic upgrade failed message after a while.

I might just shelve it and wait a month for them to iron out some more bugs.