Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 53003 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2015, 11:03:13 PM »
I don't recall any questions about using an MS account when I did the 10 Home upgrade on my wife's laptop.  It has no ties to an MS account at all before and after the upgrade.

At work with my 7 Pro machine the install won't get started.  I've put the ISO on a USB drive (correctly!) and it ejects it during the 'Preparing' stage randomly. I burn it to an ISO and it gets beyond that but gives a generic upgrade failed message after a while.

I might just shelve it and wait a month for them to iron out some more bugs.

Okay, thanks. Maybe I misread some prior posts where it looked like it wasn't an upgrade with saved previous settings, and it was acting like a new install, but those posters may have been just putting a fresh image on. I planned on just a straight 8.1-10 upgrade without a wipe. Like you, I'm not doing anything with my Win7 machine at this point. I'll reevaluate after SP1. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2015, 12:07:18 AM »
I went from 7 to 10 with no issue other than a printer driver. All setting, programs, etc. seem to have made the transition unscathed. Getting the Windows Defender icon in the task bar took some googlefu but that's an issue of personal preference rather than functionality.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2015, 12:10:45 AM »
Ditto. No MS account nonsense when I did mine this morning. Once it completed it booted up to my local login screen.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2015, 12:28:49 AM »
I went from 7 to 10 with no issue other than a printer driver. All setting, programs, etc. seem to have made the transition unscathed. Getting the Windows Defender icon in the task bar took some googlefu but that's an issue of personal preference rather than functionality.

Brad

Thanks Brad! Good to know the downsides before committing to a new OS.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2015, 12:34:22 AM »
I went from 8.1 to 10 without any issues. All my stuff was still there and working normally.

All in all I'm pleased so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2015, 06:27:39 AM »
I'd like to try it out on something besides my 8 year  test laptop.  Unfortunately I use my home PCs to connect in to work, and currently our VPN software doesn't work with Win10.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2015, 09:14:04 AM »

We're planning on waiting 4 months ish to let folks find all the problems. We'll also need to make the relevant group policy and reg hacks changes to ensure MS doesn't phone home for ANYTHING except for activation. We patch through aftermarket software.

Win 10's licensing terms and privacy terms allow them to basically play Google or Apple. Which is fine, you get what you pay for and there's no such thing as a free lunch. If MS can make more money data mining consumers with a free OS than they can selling OS licenses, more power to them. But there's no way in hell as a corporate entity, we're letting that fly on our PCs. Mobile devices are enough of a pain in the neck, but we moved to a BYOD strategy for cost savings. Admittedly, some stuff does take priority over the more nuanced or subtle forms of security. Hell, we're still leery enough of Win8 on our Surface tablets.

Remember, if you're using something for free on the Internet, you are the product that someone is selling.  =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2015, 09:51:17 AM »
I had to download and install KB2952664  and KB3034483 (Windows Update didn't load them automatically or even have them available.)  Then wait 24 hours for MS to find them, and the upgrade flag showed up in the system tray.  I haven't upgraded it yet.  This is a spare machine that it's okay if I trash and have to rebuild.  I think I'm going to reinstall 7 first because a lot of things seem to be missing. (like a DVD player) then upgrade the clean install.

If I remember right, in my current sort of doped up state, MS removed the DVD player from Win 8.  I usually just made sure VLC (free as in GPL) was installed.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »
I had to download and install KB2952664  and KB3034483 (Windows Update didn't load them automatically or even have them available.)  Then wait 24 hours for MS to find them, and the upgrade flag showed up in the system tray. 

I hadn't seen an 'update ready" message pop up since release and then saw your post.  I went to do a manual update check, and sure enough, had a couple of important updates waiting that didn't update automatically. Five minutes after install and restart, the "update ready" message popped up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2015, 10:00:23 AM »
If I remember right, in my current sort of doped up state, MS removed the DVD player from Win 8.  I usually just made sure VLC (free as in GPL) was installed.

Lenovo was supposed to have a Intervideo winDVD package and some kind of Sonic burning software.  There were all kinds of broken references to it in the registry, and when I put a DVD in the drive I got an error saying the program was not found.  (Windows Media Player was able to play it just fine so it has the codecs)

I did a reinstall last night, and all the missing software and registry bugs are in the recovery partition too.  :facepalm:

I like VLC and have it installed on most of my systems.  I have a problem with most DVD players on laptops that they run the drive up to high speed (loud) and also stutter and pause a lot during playback -- it's like they're not caching the video.  IIRC, winDVD plays smooth and quiet.  (not a real problem because this is a spare system and not one where I'll be watching a lot of DVD's -- and maybe Win 10 doesn't do that anyway.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:12:00 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2015, 11:38:40 AM »
I hadn't seen an 'update ready" message pop up since release and then saw your post.  I went to do a manual update check, and sure enough, had a couple of important updates waiting that didn't update automatically. Five minutes after install and restart, the "update ready" message popped up.

There have been several cases we have seen now where the upgrade pop up never happens, but the machine is eligible and has non of the things that should prevent that pop-up (domain membership, enterprise or volume license).  Downloading and running the Windows 10 upgrade manually works fine. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »
We just completed the upgrade to Window 7 on a certain aircraft maintenance software about a year ago  ;/

It was a two year project costing over a million dollars, which did include fixing a bunch of bugs introduced by the previous "upgrade" which had been done entirely overseas.

The minimum required to move it to Window 10 would be a complete repeat of all the test procedures, and writing up verification report and getting the FAA to sign off on it.

The company is not planning to start another upgrade until at least 2018.  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2015, 11:57:36 AM »
Windows 7 is supported until January of 2020.  I don't mean to understate things because I fully understand the rigorous test procedures required for aviation, but 7 to 10 really should not be a big deal.  Much less of a big deal that XP to 7.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2015, 12:08:22 PM »
Windows 7 is supported until January of 2020.  I don't mean to understate things because I fully understand the rigorous test procedures required for aviation, but 7 to 10 really should not be a big deal.  Much less of a big deal that XP to 7.

Yeah, but by then they're probably going to want to address some other issues also.  The application dates back to 2002, and things weren't really "upgraded" this last time, but just recompiled and fixed code issues (like registry location) that kept it from running on 7.

And who knows what "windows" will look like by then  =|  Updating to 10 which will already have been replaced by then?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2015, 12:39:53 PM »
Is the number for update KB3034483 accurate?  I can't find any reference to it on the MS website.  I did need KB2952664, and it downloaded and installed just fine when I did the Windows Update a little while ago.
Still no Winders 10 on this laptop, though.  SWMBO reserved her copy well after I did on this machine, and she got the update notice a few days ago.  The install went well except for some initial fun getting the wireless connection going.
I have another machine downstairs that I need to check.  Windows 10 is reserved for that one, but I haven't turned it on in a month, so I don't know if it's ready for download.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »
By the by, has anyone upgraded a VM yet? I have Win 7 and Win 8 VMs, and neither of them ever got the reservation popup, let alone the "ready to install". I'm guessing MS only looks at a physical machine? I reckon I'll need to manually download the update to get 10 on the VM.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2015, 02:39:54 PM »
I just got a Windows 7 workstation about a month ago, and they are still phasing in the new workstations to be rid of the XP ones.

I figure as soon as they are finished someone will get the bright idea to count a different pile of beans and decide we need to start handing out Windows 10 workstations.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2015, 04:36:58 PM »
I just got a Windows 7 workstation about a month ago, and they are still phasing in the new workstations to be rid of the XP ones.

I figure as soon as they are finished someone will get the bright idea to count a different pile of beans and decide we need to start handing out Windows 10 workstations.

Convince a gullible coworker to click that upgrade to Windows 10 button on their computer and watch the fireworks from IT.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2015, 05:04:10 PM »
Is the number for update KB3034483 accurate?  I can't find any reference to it on the MS website.  I did need KB2952664, and it downloaded and installed just fine when I did the Windows Update a little while ago.
Still no Winders 10 on this laptop, though.  SWMBO reserved her copy well after I did on this machine, and she got the update notice a few days ago.  The install went well except for some initial fun getting the wireless connection going.
I have another machine downstairs that I need to check.  Windows 10 is reserved for that one, but I haven't turned it on in a month, so I don't know if it's ready for download.

I'll see if I can look it up again tonight; I may have mistyped the KB-number.  I found the missing updates by running a windows 10 diagnostic app that I downloaded from MS.  (I've lost all this info by reinstalling that system, but I might can see what updates are on my other Win 7 laptop that has the upgrade button.

Quote from: Boomhauer
Convince a gullible coworker to click that upgrade to Windows 10 button on their computer and watch the fireworks from IT.

I noticed today that the upgrade buttons are gone from our PC's at work.  IT must have blocked it after someone did an unauthorized upgrade :)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2015, 06:25:42 PM »
Well shoot. Just downloaded and tried to run the update on my 8.1 VM, but it needs 20gb of free space to install, and I try to keep my VM disks small, so no go.

Does anyone know an easy way to increase disk size in Virtualbox? The only way I've found via googling is to create a second virtual drive, attach it to the machine, then with both old and new drives mounted, run Gparted to clone the old drive. I wish Vbox had a quick way to just redifine VDI size.

Might be faster to just kill the 8.1VM and use a win10 ISO to just do a fresh, full install on a new VM.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2015, 06:55:11 PM »
Well shoot. Just downloaded and tried to run the update on my 8.1 VM, but it needs 20gb of free space to install, and I try to keep my VM disks small, so no go.

Does anyone know an easy way to increase disk size in Virtualbox? The only way I've found via googling is to create a second virtual drive, attach it to the machine, then with both old and new drives mounted, run Gparted to clone the old drive. I wish Vbox had a quick way to just redifine VDI size.

Might be faster to just kill the 8.1VM and use a win10 ISO to just do a fresh, full install on a new VM.

get VMware player. Get VMware converter. Convert to VMware. Resize disk easily

:-D
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2015, 07:23:45 PM »
I'll see if I can look it up again tonight; I may have mistyped the KB-number.  I found the missing updates by running a windows 10 diagnostic app that I downloaded from MS.  (I've lost all this info by reinstalling that system, but I might can see what updates are on my other Win 7 laptop that has the upgrade button.

I noticed today that the upgrade buttons are gone from our PC's at work.  IT must have blocked it after someone did an unauthorized upgrade :)

KB3035583

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2015, 07:29:41 PM »
get VMware player. Get VMware converter. Convert to VMware. Resize disk easily

:-D

Hater. :P  =D

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2015, 07:32:13 PM »

You ought to be able to just create a little VM disk and attach as a second volume, it just needs the extra space during the install.  On my little tablet with a 32GB SSD in it I stuck a SD card in it during the install.  It prompted me for the additional space and worked fine.  It is not needed after the install unless you want to roll it back.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2015, 07:58:44 PM »
You ought to be able to just create a little VM disk and attach as a second volume, it just needs the extra space during the install.  On my little tablet with a 32GB SSD in it I stuck a SD card in it during the install.  It prompted me for the additional space and worked fine.  It is not needed after the install unless you want to roll it back.

Thanks 41, I'll try that first. Not starting fresh is preferred as I run a lot of test prgs on that VM and I don't want to have to reinstall and reconfigure a bunch of crap.