Author Topic: 787 practicing for Paris air show  (Read 2349 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
787 practicing for Paris air show
« on: June 12, 2015, 12:39:55 AM »
That take off...  whoa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-w5LW2Mvlc

That bird can fly.  Too bad they didn't have Tex Johnson to take it to the next level!  If a 707 could do it.....

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: 787 practicing for Paris air show
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 01:01:51 AM »
Nice video. Looks like it was shot @ Moses Lake WA. JAL used to train all of their heavy pilots there and Boeing likes it there also. There are a lot of C17s flying around there also.

bob

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 03:02:23 AM »
I get the feeling that most of the interior wasn't in it to get that climb rate at the beginning.

But still most impressive.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 06:15:52 AM »
I thought they quit lighting off SAMs before some of you were born.

Impressive, but what does it do to drink service?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 06:44:02 AM »
That take off...  whoa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-w5LW2Mvlc

That bird can fly.  Too bad they didn't have Tex Johnson to take it to the next level!  If a 707 could do it.....

Agreed, it would have been fun to see Tex Johnston bang that thing around the sky.  Ah, the benefits of carbon fiber construction and a higher thrust-to-weight ratio.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »
That take off...

... is not nearly as steep as it looks.  The camera angle makes it look extra steep.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »
I was just wondering if it would do that with passengers.  Looks like fun.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 02:18:46 PM »
I was just wondering if it would do that with passengers.  Looks like fun.

Some of it, yes.  Not the takeoff.  There's a massive amount of performance difference between a plane that's empty of even things like passenger seating and one that's full of passengers and luggage.

787 Operating empty weight: 118k kg.
787 Maximum takeoff weight: 228k kg. 

Load up your pickup with 90% of it's own weight and how would it perform?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »
Vietnam Airlines . . .

Am I a bad person because my first thought was "Where's an F-4 Phantom with Sidewinders when you really need one?"
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 05:11:29 PM »
Vietnam Airlines . . .

Am I a bad person because my first thought was "Where's an F-4 Phantom with Sidewinders when you really need one?"

I was wondering if we were going to see Robert Duvall and some napalm.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 07:18:22 PM »
How would Boeing explain to Vietnam Airlines that they broke their airplane rehearsing for an airshow if something had gone wrong?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 08:47:39 PM »
They just comp them one.  Boeing has a guy.......

:O

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 09:24:26 PM »
It still bothers me how they just let the tires skid upon touchdown. It seems like they could get them pre-spinning somehow.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 09:28:56 PM »
It still bothers me how they just let the tires skid upon touchdown. It seems like they could get them pre-spinning somehow.

Possibly some form of treadmill!   

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 01:08:24 AM »

It's cheaper to replace the tires occasionally than it is to hook up a motor system 'or something' to get them pre-spinning.  You'd need an electric motor, some sort of drive shaft, etc...

Consider that we have tires that last 70k miles, and that a commercial plane tire that hits 20 miles a day would be considered to be driving around on them too much. 

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 01:24:22 AM »

You'd have to spin them up to nearly if not full RPM's to match the landing speed to eliminate the smoking on landing.  It has more to do with the weight of the plane anyway and you might smoke them anyway.  What little you'd save in doing that would cost probably 100x that in terms of extra fuel burned due to the weight penalty.
Formerly sumpnz

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 05:38:18 AM »
You'd have to spin them up to nearly if not full RPM's to match the landing speed to eliminate the smoking on landing.  It has more to do with the weight of the plane anyway and you might smoke them anyway.  What little you'd save in doing that would cost probably 100x that in terms of extra fuel burned due to the weight penalty.

Exactly this.

Besides, burning rubber smells good.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 12:06:45 PM »
Besides, burning rubber smells good.

Not nearly as good as a Naval jet turning JP5 into a wondrous aroma as it sits on the cat in full afterburner immediately before  being thrown off of the pointy end of the boat. The F4 was by far the most efficient at turning liquid petroleum products into that great smelling exhaust.

bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 12:27:14 PM »
25-is years ago I had a customer who was a commercial aircraft ferry pilot. He said the most fun thing to fly was a 747 heavy lift (cargo) hull fresh from the factory with no internal finish out  Just an empty aluminum cylinder with four big adz uprated engines. He said a minimum fuel load out put them just shy of a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:28:38 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 12:41:06 PM »
^^^ I can see where that would have been a little sporty.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 02:24:44 PM »
Not nearly as good as a Naval jet turning JP5 into a wondrous aroma as it sits on the cat in full afterburner immediately before  being thrown off of the pointy end of the boat. The F4 was by far the most efficient at turning liquid petroleum products into that great smelling exhaust.

bob

Dated yourself with that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BobR

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »
Dated yourself with that

I know, my very first re-enlistment was onboard the USS Forrestal, as an incentive I got a back seat ride in a F4B that belonged to the World Famous Red Rippers (VF11). I also got to see the very first F14 cat from a boat and arrested landing during that tour. Also did a lot of the initial carrier work for the S3A. A couple of planes that are few and far between these days.

But, when it comes to turning JP into fumes it is hard to beat those J79s in afterburner.  ;)

bob

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 03:48:24 PM »
You definitely lived in interesting times. Were you there for the fire?

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BobR

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2015, 06:40:55 PM »

No, I got there in early 1972...the Tonkin Gulf fire was in 1967 but is still a very important part of Naval History and is still being incorporated into fire fighting training today.

I was onboard for a pretty significant fire in July of 1972, we were at pier 12 @ Norfolk. It put us into the shipyards for 3 months. The Navy learned a lot from that fire also which has been incorporated into carrier designs since.

bob

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 09:17:14 PM »

That's why it was called the USS Forest Fire!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G