Author Topic: Mosquitos in the sump pump  (Read 5605 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Mosquitos in the sump pump
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:03:17 AM »
Our home has a sump pump in the basement, in the laundry room.  There is always some water in the bottom of the pump well, which I hit with a little chlorine bleach from time to time to keep the water from getting too stagnant.  Well, it's been a really wet summer, and I've forgotten to dump any bleach in for some time.  Go down this morning, and find a bunch of mosquitoes flying around in the laundry room.  The room has no exterior access, so I'm guessing that a couple of mosquitoes came in when we were dumping bags from summer camp and took to setting up home in the sump pump.

So, tapping the APS brain trust here...will bleach in the pump actually do me any good against further breeding, or is there something else I can safely put in the pump to off the little buggers without screwing up the pump?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
Re: Mosquitos in the sump pump
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 09:50:20 AM »
detcord.

then dig a new sump.

Or I guess if you want to be a quitter you could use the product designed for that application.  wimp.  Mosquito Dunks are pretty common at Ace's Lowes Depot around here.

ETA: Sodium Hypochlorite is (among other things) a strong oxidizer.  While Bleach is pretty dilute, I have found that having bleachy water long term will damage a pump not specifically designed for it.  We have some big swamp coolers at work with this same problem, and we'd go through sump pumps like it was cool until we stopped dumping bleach in them.  It'd just eat them up.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 09:55:33 AM »
Or you can float a thin layer of corn oil on the surface of the water, which will smother the larvae. Doesn't have to be much more than a slick.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 10:15:06 AM »
Or you can float a thin layer of corn oil on the surface of the water, which will smother the larvae.

But then what will he use when his corn starts squeaking?

Wouldn't it be possible to put some sort of fine mesh over the sump?  Seems like a good idea to keep random debris out of it anyway.  I'd think a normal drain grate with a piece of stainless window screen should do it without impeding water flow.  You'd need to watch it for small debris building up and clogging it, though.

The other alternative would be to ditch the pump entirely and put heating elements in to evaporate the water instead.  440V at 200A should be able to keep up with most minor flooding.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 10:22:29 AM »
Or you can float a thin layer of corn oil on the surface of the water, which will smother the larvae. Doesn't have to be much more than a slick.

Non-GMO corn oil I hope  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 10:54:56 AM »

I was going to suggest mineral oil or a light lube oil that won't screw up the pump.  (Not that corn oil necessarily would, but most veggie oils seem to coagulate on exposure to air.)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 10:58:16 AM »

Wouldn't it be possible to put some sort of fine mesh over the sump?  Seems like a good idea to keep random debris out of it anyway.  I'd think a normal drain grate with a piece of stainless window screen should do it without impeding water flow.  You'd need to watch it for small debris building up and clogging it, though.

The other alternative would be to ditch the pump entirely and put heating elements in to evaporate the water instead.  440V at 200A should be able to keep up with most minor flooding.

It's a finished basement.  Drain tiles were installed under the concrete flooring when the house was built.  Tiles drain into a small well, which has the pump that dumps water into the storm sewers.  Protects the basement against some of the springs in the area, and also works well at keeping all the rain water from messing up my man cave.  ;)

There's a plastic lid over the sump pump/well, but it isn't air tight.  Looks like the damned bugs may have gotten in the openings and set up a vacation home.  I'll try the oil thing this weekend, then go with commercial products as needed.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 11:11:30 AM »
I've often wondered if a little detergent or soap in the water would work.  Note how the female and her "raft" of eggs float on the surface tension?  I figure something (like detergent or soap) would make them break through the surface tension and sink and drown.  Same for the egg raft.

Anyone know for sure?

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »
Once the eggs hatch the larvae turn into underwater swimmers.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrzF57R6kas

Screening/oil sheen to prevent momma from picking that spot to lay her eggs, but you are going to need something to kill the larvae once they exist.  Problem with goldfish is that if you don't keep the food supply constant they tend to die (strange why that happens) which is why poisons are preferred.  Just don't tell the EPA you are dumping stuff into the water. [tinfoil]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »
A few drops of motor oil or diesel.
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 11:28:45 AM »
A few drops of motor oil or diesel.

Thought about that, but also worried about what it might do to the pump and lines for the pump...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 11:31:15 AM »
Mosquito dunks

http://www.amazon.com/Summit-111-5-20-Pack-Mosquito-Dunk/dp/B0002568YA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438953141&sr=8-1&keywords=bti+mosquito+dunks

Just had a chance to look at these.  Looks like a good product to have on hand, as we've had a wet summer and I've had a few wet spots around the yard...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
Once the eggs hatch the larvae turn into underwater swimmers.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrzF57R6kas

Screening/oil sheen to prevent momma from picking that spot to lay her eggs, but you are going to need something to kill the larvae once they exist.  Problem with goldfish is that if you don't keep the food supply constant they tend to die (strange why that happens) which is why poisons are preferred.  Just don't tell the EPA you are dumping stuff into the water. [tinfoil]

stay safe.

oil will kill the larva. They are air breathers that have a small snorkel to get their air from the surface, corn oil/mineral oil/drain oil from your truck will kill them deader than door nails.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »
"Wouldn't it be possible to put some sort of fine mesh over the sump?"

There goes the lord of the manor again, wantin' FINE mesh, probably of the finest silks and samar. Common peasant mesh isn't good enough for ye?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 12:18:28 PM »
I was going to suggest mineral oil or a light lube oil that won't screw up the pump.  (Not that corn oil necessarily would, but most veggie oils seem to coagulate on exposure to air.)

You would only need it for a few days, then an old towel or T-shirt dropped in the hole would pull up the oil.

Or you could simply squirt some dish detergent into the sump, fill with water to allow the soap to disburse the oil, and suction it all out.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 12:51:15 PM »
You would only need it for a few days, then an old towel or T-shirt dropped in the hole would pull up the oil.

Or you could simply squirt some dish detergent into the sump, fill with water to allow the soap to disburse the oil, and suction it all out.

'Pig Cloth' or 'Pig Absorbant' will suck up oil and organic solvents but repel water. They sell some of these products at auto parts stores.

Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Mosquitos in the sump pump
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »
detcord.

then dig a new sump.

Or I guess if you want to be a quitter you could use the product designed for that application.  wimp.  Mosquito Dunks are pretty common at Ace's Lowes Depot around here.

ETA: Sodium Hypochlorite is (among other things) a strong oxidizer.  While Bleach is pretty dilute, I have found that having bleachy water long term will damage a pump not specifically designed for it.  We have some big swamp coolers at work with this same problem, and we'd go through sump pumps like it was cool until we stopped dumping bleach in them.  It'd just eat them up.
The dunks are awesome plus  whereever water has pumped out the BT will kill the mosquitoes were the pump dumps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 01:26:39 PM »
Problem with goldfish is that if you don't keep the food supply constant they tend to die (strange why that happens) which is why poisons are preferred.

Well, if the goldfish are going to die of starvation anyway, why would you want to waste time and money poisoning them?

I still like the idea of a white hot heating element that just makes the water go away.  If you're worried about the humidity, just get a dehumidifier and have it drain into the sump.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 01:42:55 PM »
Well, if the goldfish are going to die of starvation anyway, why would you want to waste time and money poisoning them?

I still like the idea of a white hot heating element that just makes the water go away.  If you're worried about the humidity, just get a dehumidifier and have it drain into the sump.

Hmmm. To expand that idea, why not get some enriched uranium to heat the water and irradiate the larva in the process?

Barack Obama

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 01:49:16 PM »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 02:50:23 PM »
If Chris's place is anything like mine, when it rains a lot or like we've gotten this summer, there's no way a heating element could keep up.  At times, I've had two of three pumps (I have two sumps) running continuously. 

And yes, I've put a few drops of mineral oil in my sumps every now and again, just to help lube the pumps impellers.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 05:02:43 PM »
If Chris's place is anything like mine, when it rains a lot or like we've gotten this summer, there's no way a heating element could keep up.  At times, I've had two of three pumps (I have two sumps) running continuously.

Sounds like you just need to move your basement upstairs and get used to your indoor pool.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 05:11:02 PM »
1/4 cup of gasoline. Dump it in, lit match.

FUMP!

No more skeeters.
I promise not to duck.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 05:22:56 PM »
From what I remember, a few drops of detergent will kill the larvae as well.