Author Topic: Commuting By Bicycle  (Read 32953 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Commuting By Bicycle
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2006, 02:06:29 PM »
you must lead a sheltered life

they are not "nerds"

they are termed "Freds"

smiley
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2006, 02:17:10 PM »
We may also answer to 'OCP'

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2006, 03:34:24 PM »
Any good illustrations on that internal hub?
and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

"Diversity is our strength!"

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2006, 03:40:23 PM »
It's complex and scary inside.  My bike guys have warned me not to mess with it.  It even uses a proprietary grease.  But with seasonal maintenance it's supposed to last a long time, and replacement cost is reasonable.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2006, 04:00:41 PM »
My bike guys have warned me not to mess with it. 
Is that just before they chase you out of the store for being so backward in your bike preferences?  Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2006, 05:04:27 PM »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
dynamo Hum
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2006, 02:28:06 AM »
i had a drum braked, planetary 3 speed hub on an old tandem back in college,
working in a bike shop yielded many treasures from the parts bin

old Sturmey Archer 3 speeds never needed any work when lubricated & left alone

Woot!:
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/hubs_8spd_XRD8.php
XRD8 " 8 Speed Internal Gear Hub with 70mm Drum Brake
X-FDD " Front Dynamo Hub with 70mm Drum Brake

can you say no chain slap?

if you wanted to get really obtuse you could run an idler and shift the front chain rings

there are support groups for this malaise
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer.html

Almost all English 3-speeds have Sturmey-Archer rear hubs. They made many different models since the company started in 1903. Sturmey-Archer was a division of Raleigh Industries until autumn, 2, when the parent company ran into financial difficulties. The land the factory stood on was sold, and Sturmey-Archer was nearly liquidated by a corporate raider. Fortunately, a Taiwanese company called Sun Race came to the rescue, and bought the company assets were purchased more or less intact. The machinery and stock have been moved to Taiwan, and it is expected that Sun Race will be resuming production of Sturmey-Archer hubs once their new factory is completed.

http://sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html#sa8
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2006, 04:49:18 AM »
I've never met bike nerds before.  Smiley
We're tame compared to some out there.  Wanna see true bike nerd-dom?  Check out the sheldonbrown link we keep posting.  That guy is the king of bike nerds. Cheesy

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2006, 04:57:15 AM »
I've never met bike nerds before.  Smiley
We're tame compared to some out there.  Wanna see true bike nerd-dom?  Check out the sheldonbrown link we keep posting.  That guy is the king of bike nerds. Cheesy

Chris

All hail and kneel before him.  Offer your vigin wheelset in sacrifice.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2006, 05:06:22 AM »
I don't have a virgin wheelset, how about my vintage Suntour XC Pro thumbshifters <holds hat over heart>. Tongue

Further proof of his bike nerd-dom: http://sheldonbrown.org/ranger.html

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2006, 05:26:14 AM »
This may be the longest bike thread on here, ever.
 laugh
I just got one of these
http://bulldogcases.net/bd850.htm

For carrying my new Kel-Tec on the bike.  Gives me a better place to carry my camera and a few other little items, too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2006, 05:33:52 AM »
I put my S&W M37 in the open top pocket of my hydration pack.  I can grab it by reaching over my shoulder, but it's secure even while mountain biking.  Later in the season, when the lightweight hunters have had their fill, I my put my 44mag there and go hunting from my bike. Smiley

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2006, 05:39:25 AM »
Another reason I want to build a wide-tired touring bike with hunting and fishing in mind.  I was also eyeing the Nashbar alumn. touring frameset, it'll fit 700x42 tires, and goes for about $150.  The Long Haul Trucker in my size will only fit 26x2.1 tires. 
More love for the Pugsly:
http://www.wildworks.co.nz/csr/home.php
 http://www.surlybikes.com/photo_Gal/index.html
Yep.  The Pugsley isn't tough enough for Alaska. 
 laugh
JD

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2006, 05:48:17 AM »
Why wouldn't you want to use 26" wheels?  Surly's choice to use smaller wheels on their smaller frames seems to make a lot of sense.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2006, 05:50:25 AM »
The pugsly is neat, but the main reason for it is to run the large marge rims and endomorph tires.  That's just too much cash for a limited use bike IMO.  Now, if we got real snow around here or I was doing a lot of long distance trekking, then it would make sense.  I think my current ride is more than adequate for the terrain I hunt (bikeable terrain that is, some of it is just too rocky or steep to ride).

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2006, 05:58:34 AM »
Why wouldn't you want to use 26" wheels?  Surly's choice to use smaller wheels on their smaller frames seems to make a lot of sense.

Actually i do want smaller wheels but I was disappointed in that the LHT only allows a 2.1" wide tire.  Still, there aren't alot of true touring bikes out there anymore, and the LHT seems to be the best choice at current.
Of course, another option is that I've already got a bike with all the braze-ons required for racks and whatnot.
http://www.surlybikes.com/crosscheck.html
She'll run 700x45's. 
But she's currently set up for 'cross racing.  50x34 compact chainrings, 9 speed gearing, and road shifters. 
JD

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2006, 06:05:40 AM »
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2006, 06:19:02 AM »
Chris, you been here before:
http://www.state.va.us/dcr/parks/newriver.htm ?
No, that's waaaay at the other end of the state. Smiley

Check this out: http://www.bikewashington.org/canal/
BTW, I said the Point of Rocks to Harpers Ferry ride was 50miles roundtrip.  I don't know where I got that from.  It's 25miles round trip.  I think I pulled the 25m distance from the cobwebbed recesses of my brain and misremembered it as the one way distance. rolleyes

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2006, 06:46:21 AM »
Chris, you been here before:
http://www.state.va.us/dcr/parks/newriver.htm ?
No, that's waaaay at the other end of the state. Smiley

Check this out: http://www.bikewashington.org/canal/
BTW, I said the Point of Rocks to Harpers Ferry ride was 50miles roundtrip.  I don't know where I got that from.  It's 25miles round trip.  I think I pulled the 25m distance from the cobwebbed recesses of my brain and misremembered it as the one way distance. rolleyes

Chris
Is there a good route to ride from Manassas into DC or to the trailhead?
But the whole trail is longer, right?
Your link got me to this link
http://www.atatrail.org/index.cfm
Sounds like a great way to waste a week.  Once that trail is complete it'd be a hoot to take a week off and go from Pitt down to DC.
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2006, 07:03:28 AM »
Is there a good route to ride from Manassas into DC or to the trailhead?
But the whole trail is longer, right?
Your link got me to this link
http://www.atatrail.org/index.cfm
Sounds like a great way to waste a week.  Once that trail is complete it'd be a hoot to take a week off and go from Pitt down to DC.
There's no "safe" bike route from Manassas to the trail or DC.  The entire C&O is 185 miles, give or take.  I've ridden the entire Georgetown to Harpers Ferry portion (not all at once, just a bunch of shorter rides).  That's interesting about that new trail.  This is the first I've heard of it.

BTW, you said a great way to waste a week... Some of the guys in the local mountain bike club did it in two days.  Three of them were on rigid singlespeeds (actually fixed gear bikes!).  http://bikecentric.blogspot.com/2006/10/co-canal.html

Chris

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2006, 07:19:21 AM »
Yeah the C&O portion is a two day affair easy, especially if one goes light and can hit a hotel for the layover point.  I was looking at the entire Pitt to DC trail once its complete, for wasting an entire week.   
 laugh
That kind of ride is where my 'cross bike would shine. 
In my perfect world, after I'm employed by the wife and kiss the .Gov goodbye, I'm going to do a couple short bike tours a year. 

PS:  I'm not doing anything very productive today.  When Evil Spawn #2 takes her nap I'm mounting the road bike onto the trainer and getting a light spin in, though.
JD

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2006, 08:58:17 AM »
My bike guys have warned me not to mess with it. 
Is that just before they chase you out of the store for being so backward in your bike preferences?  Tongue

I'm on the cutting edge!  The big old clunky three speeds and even fixies are back.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2006, 09:07:16 AM »
What is a fixie?  Is that like the single-speed dirt-bikes I had when I was a kid? 

Thanks for the PM, Chris. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2006, 09:12:19 AM »
I'm on the cutting edge!  The big old clunky three speeds and even fixies are back.
They've been back, where've you been?  Maybe the "trend" is just now getting to Alaska. Smiley

Not too many folks running around on cruisers, but that's more due to our terrain than any dislike of the bike.  We have enough hills here that casual riders can't ride a cruiser and serious riders want something more "efficient".  I'm not a big fan of cruisers, but I love the utility bike and single/fixed genres (as a secondary bike). 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2006, 09:18:22 AM »
What is a fixie?  Is that like the single-speed dirt-bikes I had when I was a kid? 
A fixie is a bike with a fixed drivetrain.  If the wheel is turning, the pedals are turning, no freewheeling.  A singlespeed is basically the samething, but with a freewheel, kinda like your dirt bikes (with or without coaster brake).

Chris