Author Topic: Fireclean is basically Crisco  (Read 18041 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Fireclean is basically Crisco
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 08:47:31 PM »
I have officially endorsed FIREClean lubricant. As most of you know my endorsements are very rare and very difficult to earn; my name and reputation are everything to me so I only put my stamp of approval on items that stand above the crowd-

This would be from the same Larry Vickers who made a bunch of money telling people how great the 1911 is and how to build one just like his that's impervious to sun, sand, salt, slush, sleet, and [bleep] ... and then went on Glock's payroll and immediately started telling people how great the Glock is and how terrible the 1911 is. THAT Larry Vickers?

... it continues to provide lubrication even when it appears none is on the moving parts of the weapon. This is because it is actually in the pores of the metal and this allows for easier clean up and less carbon fouling.

Of course, Frog Lube also claims to get into the "pores" of the metal. I want to see these alleged pores, and I want to see somebody prove to be that either Frog Lube or FIREClean actually penetrates the metal below the surface to any meaningful extent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 08:59:47 PM »
This would be from the same Larry Vickers who made a bunch of money telling people how great the 1911 is and how to build one just like his that's impervious to sun, sand, salt, slush, sleet, and [bleep] ... and then went on Glock's payroll and immediately started telling people how great the Glock is and how terrible the 1911 is. THAT Larry Vickers?

Of course, Frog Lube also claims to get into the "pores" of the metal. I want to see these alleged pores, and I want to see somebody prove to be that either Frog Lube or FIREClean actually penetrates the metal below the surface to any meaningful extent.

Probably the same concept as seasoning a cast iron pan.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 09:05:10 PM »

Also the guy who said Daniel Defense was the best AR ever made, until Bravo Company started paying him.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 09:37:17 PM »
Is he the same one that did the hanging upside down out the side of a truck video?

You mean this guy? Tactical Flop
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 11:42:49 PM »
Probably the same concept as seasoning a cast iron pan.

Or not.

I'm a senior citizen. I grew up with cast iron cookware, and I have a bunch of cast iron frying pans and dutch ovens that I inherited from my mother and my aunt. The seasoning grease for cast iron is baked on, not in -- you coat the frying pan with fat and then cook it for at least an hour at 400 degrees or so. I've never heard anyone claim the seasoning gets into the "pores" of the pan. It bakes on, and it can easily be damaged. That's why you don't scrub a cast iron pan with soap and Brillo. You just rinse it with water and a rag or a sponge. If it was seasoned right, it's less sticky than new Teflon.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 11:45:29 PM »
You mean this guy? Tactical Flop

"We were able to put enough targets on round ..." ???

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2015, 09:49:46 AM »
Buy vegetable oil for $2 a quart
Put it into 2 ounce bottles
Hype the hell out of it
Sell 2oz bottles for $15 a pop to suckers
PROFIT!!!!

This is the stuff that makes America great! =D =D
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
"We were able to put enough targets on round ..." ???

You're not operator enough to put targets on round.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2015, 10:14:27 AM »

I don't really want a product to penetrate the grain boundaries of my steel.  If memory serves, that is what chlorine does to stainless steel.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
http://www.bigtexoutdoors.com/collections/top-sellers/products/fireclean-fouling-resistant-oil-2-ounce-fc-2?variant=4650838401

That quote mentioned firing 210 rounds through an AR.  Do they get a lot of carbon after 200 rounds of ammo?  What dirty ammo are they shooting?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »
That quote mentioned firing 210 rounds through an AR.  Do they get a lot of carbon after 200 rounds of ammo?  What dirty ammo are they shooting?

Wolf?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2015, 10:24:53 AM »

Well, maybe it's a custom AR in 25-25 Stevens...

https://www.buffaloarms.com/25_25_Stevens_Ammunition%20_it-924479.aspx?CAT=4441

brimic

• friends
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »
I read the source article and as a former analytical chemist, some GC/MS results would be more helpful than IR spectroscopy.

I agree. IR is a qualitative test for functional groups, nothing more. It needs GC or LC Mass Spec to make any kind of real determination.
I'm not trained and signed off to use Mass Spec where I work, but I now might have to sneak in a few a 1H NMR runs on the two (though I don't have any fireclean) which would give a much better perspective than an IR.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 10:39:52 AM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »
I agree. IR is a qualitative test for functional groups, nothing more. It needs GC or LC Mass Spec to make any kind of real determination.
I'm not trained and signed off to use Mass Spec where I work, but I now might have to sneak in a few a 1H NMR runs on the two (though I don't have any fireclean) which would give a much better perspective than an IR.

Be worth it order some fireclean for the test. Use some Crisco and/or good old fashioned lard as the control.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2015, 11:34:10 AM »
IIRC aspirin and LSD are nearly identical chemically.

BIG difference, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2015, 11:41:08 AM »

Meh; just taste both and report back.

After all, if things that were really different could taste the same, there would be truly viable butter substitutes by now, and a generic DrPepper ripoff that tastes at least sort of similar to the real thing.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2015, 12:06:15 PM »

BIG difference, though.

According to the patent Fireclean appears to be a blend of three nut and veggie oils. So, not exactly the same as Crisco but in the same basic genera. This is more an indictment of marketing hype and buying stuff because someone famous says to.

"The bottom line is over-lubrication is a myth" -LAV 12/12/14

"I then made the classic mistake of putting it on too thick" -LAV on Fireclean 12/26/14

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2015, 12:08:34 PM »

BIG difference, though.

The only thing they have in common is the term 'acid' in their name. They aren't even close chemically.

Barack Obama

griz

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
New marketing campaign:

Fireclean...the gluten free firearms lube!
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2015, 12:13:24 PM »
The only thing they have in common is the term 'acid' in their name. They aren't even close chemically.

It was something beneficial and LSD, or aspirin and something nasty.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2015, 12:14:44 PM »
According to the patent Fireclean appears to be a blend of three nut and veggie oils. So, not exactly the same as Crisco but in the same basic genera. This is more an indictment of marketing hype and buying stuff because someone famous says to.

"The bottom line is over-lubrication is a myth" -LAV 12/12/14

"I then made the classic mistake of putting it on too thick" -LAV on Fireclean 12/26/14

The only thing I ever bought because it was endorsed by someone famous was Reaganite Republicanism.

I'm still enjoying that purchase.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 12:45:35 PM »
New marketing campaign:

Fireclean...the gluten free firearms lube!

You don't want your AR to get IBS, do you?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2015, 12:47:58 PM »
You don't want your AR to get IBS, do you?

Especially when it craps where it eats...  >:D

Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »
It was something beneficial and LSD, or aspirin and something nasty.

Maybe it was Aspirin and Heroin?