Author Topic: Stick a fork in him ... he's done. (Carson)  (Read 2941 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Stick a fork in him ... he's done. (Carson)
« on: November 06, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ben-carson-west-point-215598

I think Carson's candidacy just lost all viability. He now cannot attack Hillary for being untruthful or uncredible, because "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Although being proven a liar about one's personal history didn't stop Elizabeth Warren. Stay tuned ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: Stick a fork in him ... he's done. (Carson)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:06:15 PM »
Just read it and was about to post it. Yep, he's done. Although, stranger things have happened that did not sink candidates.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 01:15:38 PM »
How is this a problem? All he need do is change his party affiliation to Democrat. Sorted.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 01:39:29 PM »
Being a Republican, an accusation with some grain of truth to it is enough to sink him. And that may be what happened.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/06/team-carson-politico-story-is-an-outright-lie/
“The Politico story is an outright Lie,” Doug Watts told TheDCNF..."He never said he was admitted or even applied.”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 01:44:49 PM »
Being a Republican, an accusation with some grain of truth to it is enough to sink him. And that may be what happened.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/06/team-carson-politico-story-is-an-outright-lie/
“The Politico story is an outright Lie,” Doug Watts told TheDCNF..."He never said he was admitted or even applied.”

Should be easy enough to check out. The Politico story claims he wrote in his book that he was offered West Point. Does anyone have a copy of his book? What did he write?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
This hit job is a load of crap.

As I've said elsewhere, Dr. Carson is not my candidate: his positions (guns, immigration, for example), temperament, and executive experience are lacking in my opinion.

However, this "HE LIED!" is absolute bullocks.

He was writing his recollection of events that happened when he was 17.

If you're talking with people who tell you you are all but assured to get into a college and everything will be paid for, just how is the 17 year old self going to recall that?

And, from there, if you tell a story about your high school years that doesn't match with the recorded facts, are you a liar?

At worst, he is mistaken in his memory. At worst.

The fact that other supposedly intelligent people cannot see that (including many in the conservative media) is why these hit jobs work.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 02:09:13 PM »
(Oh, as a side note, from the first part of that excerpt, others have tracked down General Westmoreland's schedule for memorial day and have ascertained he couldn't have been in Detroit that day.

So Ben Carson lied again.

Oh, yeah, there was a dinner a few months earlier in that exact same year in Detroit that he attended that honored some medal of honor winners... But Carson lied, he didn't just jumble two events in his recollection.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 02:31:15 PM »

Should be easy enough to check out. The Politico story claims he wrote in his book that he was offered West Point. Does anyone have a copy of his book? What did he write?

Politico apparently had some folks check the records, and they said Carson didn't apply for West Point. Just from what I've heard, Carson didn't claim to have applied to West Point. He said he was offered a scholarship, but decided not to take it. It looks as if Westmoreland might have been trying to recruit Carson, telling him that his schooling would be paid for, and the young Carson thought he was being offered a scholarship. Which would certainly be one way of looking at it.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 02:38:06 PM »
This is a politico hit job----a journalistic CRIME!!!
This kind of ********** makes me wanna buy 5.56mm. Ammo by the pallet.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 02:46:24 PM »
The leftwing media in this country make the Soviet Pravda look like pikers on the propaganda and reality changing front.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
He mis-remembered a four-decades-old minor life detail. Big whoop. They must be despearate if they're going to hang their hat on it as a campaign killer.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 04:48:45 PM »
I was expecting to hear more about the pyramids.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 04:54:21 PM »
He mis-remembered a four-decades-old minor life detail. Big whoop. They must be despearate if they're going to hang their hat on it as a campaign killer.

Brad

They'll change it into a meme right quick... "Carson lied, brain patients died." Matters not if its factual, only matters that it gets repeated often enough.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 05:20:58 PM »
They'll change it into a meme right quick... "Carson lied, brain patients died." Matters not if its factual, only matters that it gets repeated often enough.
Except his and Trump's supporters are likely not supporting him because the media said so or because social media said so.  If what you say would happen, Trump would have been long gone already.  The primary is trending a little different this time.  Not sure if the end result will be any different yet.

I don't know.  I guess we will see what happens.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 07:52:26 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 07:57:07 PM »
When I was a high school senior, I did quite well academically, and I recall getting a letter from some congressman suggesting that should I want to apply to one of the U.S. Military academies, I should contact him for the strong possibility of a Congressional appointment.

If not an appointment, maybe it was a recommendation or scholarship . . . something of the sort. This was very shortly after both US involvement in the Vietnam War and the draft had ended (much to my relief) and I had no interest in a military career.

That was decades ago and needless to say details are a bit hazy in my recollection . . . maybe it's the same with Dr. Carson.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2015, 08:21:08 PM »
From what I understand in one of his books Carson said he was offered an appointment to West Point by General Westmoreland. He decided against that without actually applying.

Politico is claiming he lied by saying in his book he said he was accepted and turned down an appointment, but that was never his actual claim in his book/s from all follow up news reports.

This is pretty obviously a hit piece pure and simple and a perfect example of the "a lie makes it halfway around the world before the truth gets its pants on" axiom from what I've seen ...

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 09:23:02 AM »
Another oped with a fanciful headline:

http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/06/politico-admits-fabricating-a-hit-piece-on-ben-carson/#.Vj0_0zQmMeo.twitter

At least this author admits it.

I'm not a huge Carson fan, but if parsing he words used to discuss how one would attend a school he didn't actually attend is the biggest piece of dirt the left can dig up?  That's pretty telling in and of itself.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 10:03:14 AM »

I'm not a huge Carson fan, but if parsing he words used to discuss how one would attend a school he didn't actually attend is the biggest piece of dirt the left can dig up?  That's pretty telling in and of itself.

Same, and exactly. This is just like the CNBC debate fiasco. It's not so much about Republicans vs Democrats as it is Republicans vs media.

One of the stories discussing this, and I've seen similar text a lot, describes Carson as, "The only black Republican candidate." How many black candidates exactly do the Democrats have?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »
Aliens! It was aliens!

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 10:23:06 AM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 11:05:49 AM »
I could say I was recommended to go to West Point and that could be taken out of context. I had recommendations from John Warner and George Allen to the USNA. One of them went for blanket coverage and slipped in a letter for West Point. Don't remember which(see liar!). Their endorsement didn't do but so much, didn't make the final cut due to a truly abhorrent GPA. So kids, when you are in 8-9th grade and hate the world, do your homework anyway.

Looking back 20 years I do not fully understand the service academy application process and hell, I was there!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 12:51:31 PM »
I believe we've found this weeks narrative:

"Carson is a liar liar pants on fire!"

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/11/ben-carson-may-have-never-stabbed-anyone.html#

I'm pretty sure that's not satire, and the media is actually going through his books, and trying to round up folks from what 40ish? years ago to remember things differently. 

Do you suppose there is some leftist group E-mail where they get the narrative so they can kick it off at the same time?
All:
Good job, Trump looks crazy.  Carson is taking the lead.  Begin the operation to sink him NLT 2000GMT Friday.  Suggest attacking his veracity since he seems to have popular ideas. Stay away from race this time.  Could backfire.  XOXO  -Hills

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »
I could say I was recommended to go to West Point and that could be taken out of context. I had recommendations from John Warner and George Allen to the USNA. One of them went for blanket coverage and slipped in a letter for West Point. Don't remember which(see liar!). Their endorsement didn't do but so much, didn't make the final cut due to a truly abhorrent GPA. So kids, when you are in 8-9th grade and hate the world, do your homework anyway.

Looking back 20 years I do not fully understand the service academy application process and hell, I was there!

Having read everything that's out there now (and hey, maybe something new will prove me wrong) the West Point thing is a total smear campaign. I know nothing about getting into the Academies, but someone saying "we can get you in" to a 17-year old could easily be taken as "scholarship" by said 17-year old. How many of the libs that are now saying "West Point doesn't have scholarships" knew that themselves just two days ago? They would likely equate an offer of paid admission to "scholarship" as well.

Also, I recall as a 17-year old in High School, recruiters from the various Armed Services telling me I could be everything from fighter pilot to Ranger. They even told me I would be stationed somewhere cool.  I wouldn't have known any better at 17, and I'm sure Carson didn't either.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 01:31:12 PM »
Aliens! It was aliens!

I think he said it was Joseph; an Earthling.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »
Having read everything that's out there now (and hey, maybe something new will prove me wrong) the West Point thing is a total smear campaign. I know nothing about getting into the Academies, but someone saying "we can get you in" to a 17-year old could easily be taken as "scholarship" by said 17-year old. How many of the libs that are now saying "West Point doesn't have scholarships" knew that themselves just two days ago? They would likely equate an offer of paid admission to "scholarship" as well.

Also, I recall as a 17-year old in High School, recruiters from the various Armed Services telling me I could be everything from fighter pilot to Ranger. They even told me I would be stationed somewhere cool.  I wouldn't have known any better at 17, and I'm sure Carson didn't either.

Actually despite the claims by many in media. West Point even refers to them as Scholarships on some of their Ads. See in this article:

http://www.dailywire.com/news/960/no-ben-carson-didnt-lie-about-west-point-its-ben-shapiro

This whole thing was just a hit piece and lies by Politico which of course the rest of the "Media" picked up and ran with. Most of the current news reports are still not accurate.