Author Topic: Car trouble  (Read 9647 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Car trouble
« on: January 29, 2016, 06:36:23 PM »
1994 Sunbird LE 2.0L 4 cyl

Was running fine, did a good bit of freeway driving yesterday with no noticeable issues except the occasional random misfire at low RPM. Just enough to put it on my "tune up at some point" list, nowhere near "this is going to get nasty very soon" level. On the way home last night, I stopped for about an hour and a half to visit some friends, got back to the car, it started fine, ran pretty well, (cold weather and enough time to cool off, so a little rough was expected) and the "check oil" light came on. Checked the oil, and it was at the bottom of the "ok" range on the dipstick. Had some in the trunk, so I got it back up to the top of the range and took off again. Maybe five minutes of 30-45 MPH driving later, I went to get on the highway, and suddenly it got really rough with an obvious power loss. Roadside fiddling determined that pulling the #1 plug wire made no change whatsoever in the idle, so presumably #1 is just dragging now.

Got enough spark to shock the heck out of me when I pulled the wire, but again, no change at all in the rough idle. Pulling any other wire pretty much kills the engine, regardless of whether #1 is plugged in or not. Replaced the spark plug, then swapped them around to make sure I didn't just have a stroke of really bad luck and put DOA one in there. Some carbon fouling on all the plugs, but not bad considering they were probably in there for 60-100k miles before I got the car.
I can smell a little gas when I pull the plug out, but of course, no way to know for sure whether it's getting a good fuel/air mix that way.  Stuck a screwdriver as stethoscope on each of the injectors, but I can't tell any difference between the sound of them...or the sound I got from the screwdriver on the fuel rail itself for that matter.  Can't find a 12V check light to see if the module is firing the injector, but I may grab one when I limp it past WalMart on the way home.

This one is the one with a specific coil pack that's $500-700, so no way I'm going to change that as a troubleshooting step on a car that I only paid $500 for. I can go back to Craigslist and find another $500 beater that runs as well as it did for the last month, but if there's a $50-100 option, I'd like to keep it running for a couple months while I save up for something in better shape, and hopefully sell it to some other guy who just needs a beater to get around for a while. (With full disclosure of its remaining problems, of course. Sometimes "It gets down the road right now. No promises about tomorrow." is worth $350 to someone.)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Car trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 06:41:04 PM »
Detcord.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 06:46:27 PM »
Detcord.

Believe me, if I had some, it would be used on whatever sick bastard came up with the layout for stuff in the engine compartment of this car.  Starter is on the back of the block, but not quite near enough to the bottom to be easily accessible from above or below, (fortunately it only needed the mounting bolts tightened when I was worried the solenoid was going out) and the coil pack and control module are above that, tucked under the fuel rail and intake.  The top radiator hose is just barely in the space where your extension needs to be when removing or installing the #1 plug, so you have to be extra careful not to crossthread it.  Nearly every hose or wire that you know leads to the part you need to find disappears under and/or behind the block.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 06:53:39 PM »
Compression check. More than likely you have a valve that's not valving. If you don't have compression, fuel and spark don't accomplish much.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 06:54:03 PM »
Are you sure it isn't bad spark plug wires?  You could be losing spark, arcing to the engine frame.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 07:06:15 PM »
Are you sure it isn't bad spark plug wires?  You could be losing spark, arcing to the engine frame.

Redneck test (put the plug in the wire and hold it against the block) showed spark at the plug.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 07:12:41 PM »
Redneck test (put the plug in the wire and hold it against the block) showed spark at the plug.

Run the engine in the dark and look for sparks jumping from the sides of the cable with the cable routed and laid in the standoffs correctly.  Even at that, you probably wouldn't see anything arcing into the standoffs themselves.  If the cables are original, just replace them.  Might be a cheap fix.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 07:29:26 PM »
Hawk's right. Check compression.

What color is the spark when you redneck test it?  If it's decently hot it'll do something, even if it's not at full strength.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 08:28:30 PM »
Hawk's right. Check compression.

Noticed a little oil at the valve cover gasket, so that needs to be swapped out anyway.  Shows $6 for the basic FelPro, so if anybody local has a one in stock tomorrow, I'll just yank the cover and see what in looks like in there.

What color is the spark when you redneck test it?  If it's decently hot it'll do something, even if it's not at full strength.

Fairly white, bright enough to show well in full sun.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:01:55 PM by KD5NRH »

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 09:20:21 PM »
Finally thought to do the paper test; paper held at the exhaust pops hard against the pipe in time with the miss, so almost certainly a stuck open exhaust valve.

This should be fun.  Hope somebody's got that valve cover gasket on hand.

ETA OReilly frickin' rocks.  None here, or the next town each way, (not that 30 miles on 3 cylinders and doing the work in their lot would be much fun) but then..."I can have it around 3:00 tomorrow afternoon."

My plans of going to the Dallas dance lesson are still shot, but at least I can get to it tomorrow instead of trying to shoehorn in some time next week.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:59:05 PM by KD5NRH »

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 07:55:23 AM »
I'm going with squirrels.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 03:33:08 PM »
Well, removing the spark plug and shooting carb cleaner in, then cranking it with the plug loosely threaded (to encourage it through the exhaust valve but hopefully not cause too much trouble if the valve decided to slam shut with liquid still in the cylinder and hydrolock it) didn't get it. The gasket should be in soon, so we'll see how the simplest surgical option goes.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »
Well, removing the spark plug and shooting carb cleaner in, then cranking it with the plug loosely threaded (to encourage it through the exhaust valve but hopefully not cause too much trouble if the valve decided to slam shut with liquid still in the cylinder and hydrolock it) didn't get it. The gasket should be in soon, so we'll see how the simplest surgical option goes.

That is a good way to blow the plug out the head.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »
That is a good way to blow the plug out the head.

Not a full crank and run.  Just a few rounds worth of starter bumps to push the cleaner up through the valve.  I've sent plenty of blue towels across the yard blowing Sea Foam and Berryman's out after a piston soak, so I'm well aware of the force coming out the plug hole even just running the starter steady for a few seconds.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 12:57:25 PM »
Unnecessary complexity strikes again.

Can't move the fuel rail enough to pull injectors with the throttle body in the way. Can't get the TB out of the way sure to some stupid hose attached to the bottom of it with a hose clamp that's facing the wrong way so I can't get to the screw.

WTF happened to the TB just being a dead simple thing with air in on one side, air out on the other, and a butterfly valve to control the rate?  WTF does it need two hose and three electrical connections for?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 12:58:20 PM »
Unnecessary complexity strikes again.

Can't move the fuel rail enough to pull injectors with the throttle body in the way. Can't get the TB out of the way sure to some stupid hose attached to the bottom of it with a hose clamp that's facing the wrong way so I can't get to the screw.

WTF happened to the TB just being a dead simple thing with air in on one side, air out on the other, and a butterfly valve to control the rate?  WTF does it need two hoses (in addition to the air intake) and three electrical connections for?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 01:21:41 PM »
Throttle Position Sensor, Idle Air Control, the third is likely a trans control of some kind.

The two hoses are coolant lines to warm the throttle body a bit.  This prevents ice forming under certain circumstances and freezing your throttle open.  Pretty much all carbs and throttle bodies have some way to heat them built in to combat throttle blade icing.

ETA: I don't work on old pontiacs but it's usually best to unbolt the TB from the intake, then go for the hoses.  That little bit of movement makes them easier to get to.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 01:27:33 PM »
Having free air spark and spark under compression aren't necessarily a 1:1 guarantee. You said the plugs were fouled and likely had 60-100k before you got the car. Change them all. Even if they aren't this specific problem they're still a problem in general. Wires too. Wires can break down in strange ways and cause odd misses even if they outwardly appear fine.

As others have said, compression test.

With the age and mileage I'd be less prone to think stuck valve and more likely be eyeballing injectors. If the compression test checks out, swap the injector from the dead cyclinder with one from a firing cyclinder. See if the prob follows the injector. Requires no parts and is relatvely simple so why not?

You'll be able to see valve actuation when you have the cover off to replace the gasket. I wouldn't spend a lot of time or effort on "stuck valve" diagnosis until then.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 07:22:36 PM »
Does that thing have one coil pack per per plug? If so there might be just one dead one. You can try switching them around.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 08:14:57 PM »
IIRC those years used an multifire coil pack. All the plugs fired from a single coil assembly.

Brad

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 08:38:47 PM »
IIRC those years used an multifire coil pack. All the plugs fired from a single coil assembly.

Brad

The 2.0 did.  The 2.2L and the V6's used multiple twin coil packs.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 09:51:58 PM »

Brad

Tat was really straining my brain. I had a sun bird after high school if I can remember the car was 1990.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »
I'll echo what others have said... Start with a compression check.

That will tell you if the mechanical is, by and large, okay.  Especially after having a "Check oil" light (which I take to mean as GM's version of an oil pressure indicator lamp), you may have something internal going on.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 07:47:40 AM »
Where are the days one could be working on a car and not have to worry about all the extra BS wires and hoses in the way?  I can remember climbing up into the engine compartment of a truck, with a big block mind you, and still have room to move around and actually work.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 10:40:04 AM »
Throttle Position Sensor, Idle Air Control, the third is likely a trans control of some kind.

Yeah, and probably need to figure some way to spoof the IAC.  It's trying to idle up to 3k+ RPM sometimes.  Whatever idiot decided that RPM shouldn't be the "if this goes out of range, forget everything else and readjust" factor needs to be taken out, flogged, flayed, dipped in lemon juice, shot, drawn, quartered and the remains burned.

The two hoses are coolant lines to warm the throttle body a bit.  This prevents ice forming under certain circumstances and freezing your throttle open.  Pretty much all carbs and throttle bodies have some way to heat them built in to combat throttle blade icing.

Ah, yet another "feature" necessitated by fools who insist on living outside the habitable zone.

ETA: I don't work on old pontiacs but it's usually best to unbolt the TB from the intake, then go for the hoses.  That little bit of movement makes them easier to get to.

It was unbolted.  Problem is the hose clamp is turned around so the screw is completely inaccessible.

The 2.0 did.  The 2.2L and the V6's used multiple twin coil packs.

It's the 2.0, and that coil pack goes for $675 new, $200+ used.  Definitely be stripping that off if it dies on the side of the road.  Between that and the alternator, I could recover half my investment without any really heavy work.  If I can find something better soon, I'll borrow the boss's trailer, park this one on it, and strip everything that I feel like I can get more than scrap value from before hauling the remainder off to the scrapyard.  Might even turn a profit in the end.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:45:32 AM by KD5NRH »