Author Topic: CARB Gas Cans Suck  (Read 5770 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
CARB Gas Cans Suck
« on: April 08, 2016, 07:02:49 PM »
I already knew, via common knowledge, that CARB gas can spouts suck. I've got older gas cans though, and never had to experience one. I just bought a new 5 gallon can and had my first in-person experience. Those things are the worst Rube Goldberg devices ever invented.

Since I already knew they sucked, I ordered an EZ-Pour "flammable water" replacement spout off Amazon the day I bought the gas can. Showed up today. I can recommend them. The spout fits like a glove (comes with two caps for different threads) and the vent cap snapped in tightly, no leaks. The hardest part about the whole thing was getting all the plastic shavings out of the can from drilling the vent hole. They're not cheap at $10 (the gas can cost me $16 at Costco), but I'd likely pay double that to avoid the CARB spout. Yuck.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Spout-Water-Update-Your/dp/B00CYNDNM8/ref=lp_9023186011_1_1?srs=9023186011&ie=UTF8&qid=1460156405&sr=8-1

They also have high flow ones, but I'm using this one mostly on small engines, so flow rate is just right for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: CARB Gas Cans Suck
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 07:38:49 PM »
I had three nozzles on pre-CARB cans go south in one year. I was not happy about having to buy new CARB compliant nozzles but was thrilled when I found these. They have held up well for several years.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 07:50:53 PM »
When my two non carb cans go south, I'm switching over to metal safety cans.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:16:47 PM »
I confess I use my DOD connections to come up with USGI 5 gal gas cans and nozzles after they have been deemed "Unservicable" by the US military.  They last like another 7-10 years after that if you don't strap them to the back of a HMMWV.

I feel for the folks that have to use the ruined gas cans though.  I used one once on a chain saw, and ditched it.  Better to top off a chainsaw out of a 5 gal can that works then that abortion.

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »
I hadn't been shopping for gas cans in a while so when I bought one recently I was first shocked at the price, then baffled that they had designed it to keep you from pouring gas in to a lawn mower.  In a cruel coincidence, that happened to be the reason I bought it.  So thanks for the link to a useful nozzle. A cheap plastic gas can now costs almost thirty bucks to use, but at least I will be able to use it.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 10:55:44 PM »
On drilling a hole for the vent... if there is a seam where the 2 halves of the gas "can" are joined together, do not attempt to drill your hole on the seam.  Move it to one side or the other.  Hadda go buy a second can after mine split from the drilling.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 12:01:24 AM »
On drilling a hole for the vent... if there is a seam where the 2 halves of the gas "can" are joined together, do not attempt to drill your hole on the seam.  Move it to one side or the other.  Hadda go buy a second can after mine split from the drilling.

I drilled mine offset, if for nothing else, to make sure I had a flat surface for a good seal. Good to know on the splitting though :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 12:36:02 AM »
Chainsaw gas now resides in used up coleman white gas cans. So much better.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MikeB

• friend

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 07:44:53 AM »
For chainsaws and other carry-able small engine implements my trail crew uses MSR white gas canisters. Of course at some point you have to pour gas into them from something else so the main benefit of them is convenience in the field. 

I have a perfectly functional plastic can (from that good company that was driven out of business) so I guess I better hold on to it, from what you guys are saying.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 09:17:46 AM »
I've had good luck using Just Rite cans. Not cheap, but work great.

http://www.justritemfg.com/products/safety-cans-and-containers/type-ii-accuflow-steel-safety-cans/

http://www.amazon.com/Justrite-7250130-Galvanized-AccuFlow-Hazardous/dp/B003FZB3N0

Hmm. If I ever see the 2.5 gal size of those as a lightning deal or something, I might have to pick one up. I have a little plastic 2.5 gallon plastic one now that I transfer fuel from the 5 gallon cans to just for ease of use and because if my 90 year old dad needs to put gas in something, he can't lift the 5 gallon cans anymore. Don't know that I'd pay full price for one though. Fifty bucks - yikes!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 09:58:33 AM »
I was able to strip the guts out of the @#&%@$' spouts.  I too drilled a vent hole in the container.  Two actually.  I use golf tees to plug the vent holes so it won't splash to and from the gas station.  I use a rubber cane tip on the spout for the same reason and to prevent evaporation.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 11:07:56 AM »
Chainsaw gas now resides in used up coleman white gas cans. So much better.
just like the metal cans I remember as a kid.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 05:14:29 PM »
It is my understanding that the whole reason for the EPA mandated bastardization of small gas cans was to keep the evil fumes from getting out.
Where the hell do those morons think the fumes are going to go?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »
I hadn't been shopping for gas cans in a while so when I bought one recently I was first shocked at the price, then baffled that they had designed it to keep you from pouring gas in to a lawn mower.  In a cruel coincidence, that happened to be the reason I bought it.  So thanks for the link to a useful nozzle. A cheap plastic gas can now costs almost thirty bucks to use, but at least I will be able to use it.

Price is because of idiots not understanding what flammable means and their ambulance chasing lawyers suing the *expletive deleted*it out of the largest gasoline can maker (enough to shut it down for good.) The insurance for the other makers must be through the roof.  For the spout you can thank the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for that piece of *expletive deleted*it as they came up with it first and then the US EPA couldn't be out done in stupidity and mandated for the rest of the country.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 10:43:16 PM »
Company A needs to produce "chemically resistant plastic storage vessels" while company B produces "chemically ressistant spjgots."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 10:46:38 PM »
Company A needs to produce "chemically resistant plastic storage vessels" while company B produces "chemically ressistant spjgots."

That's basically what most of these guys are doing. Their water and gas cans are made out of the same plastic, but the "water" cans have a normal spigot (or you can buy one for your "water can"). Hence all the water jokes in the various Amazon reviews. :)

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 11:09:55 AM »
For chainsaws and other carry-able small engine implements my trail crew uses MSR white gas canisters. Of course at some point you have to pour gas into them from something else so the main benefit of them is convenience in the field. 

I have a perfectly functional plastic can (from that good company that was driven out of business) so I guess I better hold on to it, from what you guys are saying.

That's what we used for backpacking saws. Works great for the smaller saws. For the 70cc and up they didn't do so well. If I remember correctly, my saw could only get one full tank out of one of those bottles and a full tank would only last maybe 30 minutes of sawing.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 11:49:06 AM »
The compliant containers are pure environmental brilliance. Now, instead of a little free vapor, I spill atleast 2 liters of fuel while trying to dispense.
I've modified mine enough to get by on until I can gradually move to the good metal jerry cans.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 12:30:31 PM »
That's basically what most of these guys are doing. Their water and gas cans are made out of the same plastic, but the "water" cans have a normal spigot (or you can buy one for your "water can"). Hence all the water jokes in the various Amazon reviews. :)

It's worth noting that, in a truly "Atlas Shrugged" kind of moment, it's also unlawful to put gasoline into a "water" container.  Or indeed any container not designed to be a gas can.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 01:03:07 PM »
It's worth noting that, in a truly "Atlas Shrugged" kind of moment, it's also unlawful to put gasoline into a "water" container.  Or indeed any container not designed to be a gas can.

Our rulers best be content with these "water" cans as fuel storage, lest folk start filling up glass containers and using a rag as a stopper in a fit of pique.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 02:54:31 PM »
I was able to strip the guts out of the @#&%@$' spouts.  I too drilled a vent hole in the container.  Two actually.  I use golf tees to plug the vent holes so it won't splash to and from the gas station.  I use a rubber cane tip on the spout for the same reason and to prevent evaporation.

Gut a tire valve stem and install it as the vent.  That way you have a nice tight screw cap to fit it.
And I guess if you're feeling super redneck, you could clamp on a Schrader chuck and use 120PSI air to make the can pour even faster.

It's worth noting that, in a truly "Atlas Shrugged" kind of moment, it's also unlawful to put gasoline into a "water" container.  Or indeed any container not designed to be a gas can.

Which is why I always have at least one real gas can to use at the station.  What the gas goes into after it leaves is none of their business.  (Plus I figure the kerosene cans in the garage are lower theft risk, since not too many people have need of 5-20 gallons of kerosene.)  I did at one point buy some premixed "long life" chainsaw gas in a quart can when I didn't have a gas can with me, and I keep the can around as it's a good size to mix gas/oil for the chainsaw or weedeater without having to dedicate a full gallon at a time.  Would also make a good "emergency backup" size for a motorcycle if I had one.

(And to its credit, the long life gas sat in the saw for several months and started right back up with little extra effort, so it's probably worth whatever I paid for it just in not having to clean and/or rebuild the carb yet again.)

Kingcreek

• friend
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 09:41:15 PM »
http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Nato-Jerry-Cans.html
kingcreek for the win.  I buy two every few months.  They're currently out of red (gasoline) 20L ones.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 10:54:38 PM »
I'd gutted a few of the CARB spouts, then ran across the EZ Flow spouts.

There aren't cheap, it's going to cost about $65 to upgrade all our cans but worth it to have good spouts & vents.