Author Topic: I can't afford my student loan debt! But I can...  (Read 4191 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I can't afford my student loan debt! But I can...
« on: April 13, 2016, 09:22:23 AM »
still drink five no caf skinny non-GMO sustainably sourced vanilla soy lattes and have my Mun (man bun) professionally styled every Tuesday...

I'm not a  animal, you know!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/college-grads-buried-student-loan-072616080.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=fb

When I got out of college, paying back my student loan debt was priority one. I had a take a deferment because I was out of work for awhile, but I paid the loans off, was never late with a single payment (that wasn't on deferment) and never bitched because I couldn't afford a Kobe beef burger.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: I can't afford my student loan debt! But I can...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 10:45:59 AM »
I paid my student loans off making enlisted man pay in the Army, without using the Army load repayment plan.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 11:02:18 AM »
I paid my student loans off making enlisted man pay in the Army, without using the Army load repayment plan.

Ditto
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:28:01 AM »
still drink five no caf skinny non-GMO sustainably sourced vanilla soy lattes and have my Mun (man bun) professionally styled every Tuesday...

I'm not a  animal, you know!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/college-grads-buried-student-loan-072616080.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=fb

When I got out of college, paying back my student loan debt was priority one. I had a take a deferment because I was out of work for awhile, but I paid the loans off, was never late with a single payment (that wasn't on deferment) and never bitched because I couldn't afford a Kobe beef burger.

Many of these same mother *expletive deleted*ers whining about student loan debt and wanting to elect Bernie Sanders are the same mother *expletive deleted*ers who took out the maximum they could in student loans with the intention of spending it on themselves vs. school, too.

*expletive deleted*ck them.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 12:12:22 PM »
That ahole needs to change his major to fraud analysis....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 02:47:02 PM »
I'm probably going to catch some flack for saying this...

But I actually do feel a little bad for a lot of them, because I know what they were indoctrinated with in high school. They were all told that they would fail in life if they *didn't* go to collage and that they *had* to do this. They were not even remotely prepared for making any kind of educated decision or even actually prepared for the academic requirements of collage. I can see how a lot of them are very bitter and disillusioned since for many of them, signing into all of that debt was like signing a contract to Faustus disguised as all the people they were supposed to be able to trust.

I'm not saying the should be allowed to flake on their loans, but I wouldn't be against forcing some HS guidance counselors to be contributing to those payments, either. 
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »
Yeah, just wait until the financial aid office sees his YouTube video.

They don't care. They've got their money for the semester...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: I can't afford my student loan debt! But I can...
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »
I'm probably going to catch some flack for saying this...

But I actually do feel a little bad for a lot of them, because I know what they were indoctrinated with in high school. They were all told that they would fail in life if they *didn't* go to collage and that they *had* to do this. They were not even remotely prepared for making any kind of educated decision or even actually prepared for the academic requirements of collage. I can see how a lot of them are very bitter and disillusioned since for many of them, signing into all of that debt was like signing a contract to Faustus disguised as all the people they were supposed to be able to trust.

I'm not saying the should be allowed to flake on their loans, but I wouldn't be against forcing some HS guidance counselors to be contributing to those payments, either. 
Even way back in the Stone Age when I was in high school they pressed College the same way
It always remain your choice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
Re: Re: I can't afford my student loan debt! But I can...
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 02:59:32 PM »
Even way back in the Stone Age when I was in high school they pressed College the same way
It always remain your choice

No, they didn't.

Everything, EVERYTHING, from 6th grade up was geared based on the assumption that EVERY student would attend college. The question was never "Will you go to college?" it was always "What college will you go too?" Alternatives were not discussed. They were not even presented.
The only kids exempt from this treatment were the ones that... well, it was obvious why they weren't going to college and there was certainly a real stigma to be one of those kids.

Brainwashing is alive and well in the public school system. It was their choice, but they were not told that.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 03:03:15 PM »
It certainly is your choice.

But I do think that those same high school counselors who suggested that everyone go to college should ALSO suggest that they go for degrees that have some chance of eventually paying for themselves.

Little Timmy Toofewbrains might enjoy underwater basket weaving.....but how many UBW jobs are actually out there?

The problem is that students are not taught that college really should be a financial decision, not a "study whatever you enjoy" decision, especially considering how quickly you can get very deep in debt.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »

But I do think that those same high school counselors who suggested that everyone go to college should ALSO suggest that they go for degrees that have some chance of eventually paying for themselves.

Little Timmy Toofewbrains might enjoy underwater basket weaving.....but how many UBW jobs are actually out there?

The problem is that students are not taught that college really should be a financial decision, not a "study whatever you enjoy" decision, especially considering how quickly you can get very deep in debt.

Exactly!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »

Agree 100%...I really liked stage hand work, but majoring in theater wasn't going to pay the bills, but IT does.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »

This, that is why you have all these Liberal Art majors wanting $15 an hour to microwave a burger.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: I can't afford my student loan debt! But I can...
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
No, they didn't.

Everything, EVERYTHING, from 6th grade up was geared based on the assumption that EVERY student would attend college. The question was never "Will you go to college?" it was always "What college will you go too?" Alternatives were not discussed. They were not even presented.
The only kids exempt from this treatment were the ones that... well, it was obvious why they weren't going to college and there was certainly a real stigma to be one of those kids.

Brainwashing is alive and well in the public school system. It was their choice, but they were not told that.
Wait are you presuming to tell me what they did and didn't do when I was in school based on your experiences 20 years later when you were in school? reall

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »

All of that plus: Have a plan as to what you intend to study and what you intend to do with it when you graduate- it seems a lot of people miss this important step.
Example: I chose a university and Major in 'Paper Science' based on a very high placement rate (like 100%) and a very high starting salary (>70K/year in 1990 dollars) for graduates of that program. I washed out the first semester, and implemented plan B, which also had a fairly high placement rate at the time, though considerably (yet still livable) starting salary.

I also agree with CSD- I graduated HS in '91, college was pushed very hard on people who had any academic ability at all. I was strongly considering tech school at the time and was pushed by a few teachers and guidance counselor to go to college. I might actually be better off now if I did go to tech school 25 years ago as I like working on things a lot more than I like working with people.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 03:35:57 PM »
This, that is why you have all these Liberal Art majors wanting $15 an hour to microwave a burger.

I was a liberal arts major, and I'm doing quite well for myself.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 03:47:10 PM »
 :-*
I was a liberal arts major, and I'm doing quite well for myself.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 03:56:31 PM »
All of that plus: Have a plan as to what you intend to study and what you intend to do with it when you graduate- it seems a lot of people miss this important step.
Example: I chose a university and Major in 'Paper Science' based on a very high placement rate (like 100%) and a very high starting salary (>70K/year in 1990 dollars) for graduates of that program. I washed out the first semester, and implemented plan B, which also had a fairly high placement rate at the time, though considerably (yet still livable) starting salary.

I also agree with CSD- I graduated HS in '91, college was pushed very hard on people who had any academic ability at all. I was strongly considering tech school at the time and was pushed by a few teachers and guidance counselor to go to college. I might actually be better off now if I did go to tech school 25 years ago as I like working on things a lot more than I like working with people.

Graduated HS in '89 and it college was pushed very hard as well.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 04:06:39 PM »
College was pushed pretty hard in the 70's, but there was no real prep for it.  My teachers knew I was one of the smart ones, so they didn't try to teach me anything.  I could have skipped class everyday and they would have given me A's and B's.

Out of a class of 250-something, I'm one of just a few (that I know of) that actually finished a degree, and I struggled.  Flunked out for a semester my 4th year.  I probably would have been fine if I'd taken pre-calc and a light academic load the first semester instead of starting right off in Calculus for Engineers (Math 151), Honors Chemistry, and I don't remember what else -- 17 hours of hard classes plus the culture shock and timesink of being a freshman in the Fightin' Texas Aggie Band.
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 04:17:02 PM »
Guys, I didn't say college was "pushed"

I said it was "assumed". There is a big difference.

They don't bother with pushing, anymore. They just go straight to "Yeah, you're going to college."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 04:25:36 PM »
I graduated from high school in the late 1970's.  At that time, and in that area, college was stressed for the high-performing kids.  I was one of them, being a National Merit Scholar.  The majority of my classmates went right from high school to working the line at Boeing.  It was not until many years into my professional career that I was making as much as my peers who went to work for Boeing doing skilled labor, bearing in mind that they were working and making good union wages while I was working my way through college/grad/professional school. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 04:32:34 PM »
Agree 100%...I really liked stage hand work, but majoring in theater wasn't going to pay the bills, but IT does.

Apparently stage hand does pay the bills:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:12:44 PM by adively »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 04:35:09 PM »

Just want to point out that that's a lot easier to do when student debt was something like 10% of median income, rather than the 100% it is know.  IE 10X as much, even inflation compensated.

And that's for responsible grads, not the idiots who blow their awards on trips or going to the most expensive colleges.  It's not hard to graduate with student debt equivalent to a house.

They don't bother with pushing, anymore. They just go straight to "Yeah, you're going to college."

This.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but even as I worked my way through school, seen what my brother went through, what his kids are going through, they've been ratcheting up the college thing to the point that if you're not in a ghetto school where graduation itself is an achievement, the default assumption is college.  Hell, not even community college anymore, a 4 year university.

I graduated from high school in the late 1970's.  At that time, and in that area, college was stressed for the high-performing kids.  I was one of them, being a National Merit Scholar.  The majority of my classmates went right from high school to working the line at Boeing.  It was not until many years into my professional career that I was making as much as my peers who went to work for Boeing doing skilled labor, bearing in mind that they were working and making good union wages while I was working my way through college/grad/professional school. 

And today change 'high performing' to 'passing' when classes are easier than ever.