Author Topic: Seren is home...  (Read 3754 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Seren is home...
« on: September 04, 2016, 01:05:37 PM »
Brought her home yesterday.

It's been a very trying 24 hours. Got almost no sleep and I'm exhaused.

The expected accidents happened.

Getting ER into a routine. Including crate training.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Seren is home...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 03:44:15 PM »
It will all be worth it.  But you know that.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 03:48:21 PM »
A house without a bit of dog hair watfting about js not a home.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 03:57:51 PM »
Congrats !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 06:27:27 PM »
pics!
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 06:36:58 PM »
Have you stopped hyperventilating yet?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 07:41:44 PM »
It's been a bit tough. I had a long talk with the breeder and found out what I was doing wrong.

The tips the are giving me are helping me get through this.

Last night, the first night,  was a disaster of my own making with the crate.  

This is tough and new. I've never had a puppy before.

I gave in when she got loud and let her out, which was the wrong thing to do.

Today we're working on getting her to settle down in the crate. Its taking awhile but it seems to be working.

I'm sitting in my bedroom with her and she is being mouthy, but is starting to settle.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 08:18:54 PM »
We have a lot of puppy people do the same on crate training. They give in to the screams and, once they give in, there is just hell to pay.

We actually had a five month old that went to a local home that ended up having to come back for a couple weeks of retraining. We already had him crate trained and he rode back and forth in a crate daily to work just fine.
The new owner dispensed with the crate because he was so well behaved, she thought he didn't need it and flaked for several weeks on bringing him in for playtime. By the time she got him back into a vehicle... It was bad. It took some counseling, especially on holding out with the screaming, but we finally got through to her that the pup really isn't dyeing when he's doing that and giving into bad behavior isn't going to solve anything. Zorro wasn't stupid. He knew he had her. He didn't bother to make a peep when he came back. She just had to convince him that she wasn't going to give in either and he settled right down, especially when he figured out car rides mean getting to visit his brother for playtime.

I'll admit, I've grown rather hardhearted on the screaming. I usually get the first screams because I'm the first to crate any given litter while I'm cleaning. You think one can make some noise, you should hear five or six going at it.  :laugh:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dogmush

• friend
Re:
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 08:25:55 PM »
I gave in when she got loud and let her out, which was the wrong thing to do.

Happens to the best of us. I did that with my last GSD puppy, even though I damn well knew better.  She wanted to sleep on the bed or couch with you until she died, 10 years later.  It got awkward when she cleared 80 lbs, which is only half grown for yours.

Be strong, be firm and in be the one in charge, and before you know it you'll have the best companion ever.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 07:51:30 AM »
Last night was MUCH better.

She grumbled about going in the crate but settled down fairly quickly.

She woke me up twice to go out, each time about half an hour before I had set my alarm.

This morning was a little rocky. I missed the cues and she peed on the floor.

No problem, my fault.

About 20 minutes later I went down the hall to the can. She went a bit nuts, as I expected she would, but stress peed on the same spot.

Ok, no biggie. I didn't have any accidents in the house yesterday. Well, except the stress poop when I went to the can.

I understand separation anxiety. Doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re:
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 10:11:01 AM »
Happens to the best of us. I did that with my last GSD puppy, even though I damn well knew better.  She wanted to sleep on the bed or couch with you until she died, 10 years later.  It got awkward when she cleared 80 lbs, which is only half grown for yours.

Be strong, be firm and in be the one in charge, and before you know it you'll have the best companion ever.
I read this sandwiched between 3 dogs on a twin bed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 11:41:28 AM »
Put a sheet over the crate. It will make it more homier for them. Worked well with our golden.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »
Yep. Did the sheet trick.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »

I don't think I'll ever reach the point were dogs aren't allowed on the furniture.

Mind you, I don't tolerate bed hogs and Annie Anatolian found that out the hard way once when I spent the night at the farm. She got to sleep with me in the twin bed until she planted her feet in to the wall and stretched. I dumped her out, paid no mind to her offended looks and told her to go sleep on the couch.  :lol:

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 01:44:58 PM »
Be careful what you feed her, I hear Seren gas is deadly ...
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Seren is home...
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 06:01:52 PM »
Be careful what you feed her, I hear Seren gas is deadly ...
.....especially on Taco Tuesdays.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 06:37:21 PM »
There is a distinct lack of leo puppy pics to coo over in this thread.  Cooing over other folks puppies while not having to train them is the best part.

Come on Mike!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Seren is home...
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2016, 09:12:21 PM »
There is a distinct lack of leo puppy pics to coo over in this thread.  Cooing over other folks puppies while not having to train them is the best part.

Come on Mike!
This.  Puppy pics.  We want tbem.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re:
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2016, 10:11:23 PM »

Ok, no biggie. I didn't have any accidents in the house yesterday. Well, except the stress poop when I went to the can.

If you get someone to swat yer ass with a newspaper and rub your nose in the "stress poop", you should get over it within days.

(FWIW, that's harsher punishment than I'd subject a dog to.  FWIW.)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 07:43:18 AM »
Pics coming. I've not been able to log onto my computer for the last couple of days while Seren's home. My office isn't a safe environment for her yet because of all of the wires and cords and the like.

I'm setting up a Utoob channel just for puppy videos.

Last night we went to be around 10. She got me up around 1:30 to pee, then again around 2 to poop, then again at 4 to pee. My alarms were set for 4:30, and I managed to sleep through those, so my entire day was thrown off.

Fortunately, this was the first day of school in the county, and early traffic was very light on the roads so I was able to make decent time in getting her to doggy day care and back out to my job.

I put her in the bathroom with me while I showered. That worked a lot better than crating her. She still whined, but she could see me behind the shower curtain, and I could talk to her

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 08:38:08 AM »
Ok, in the interim, I'm going to try linking to some pix on faceplace.

Not sure if it will work or not.

OK, it worked. She's mauling my hand right there.

And this one was right after I brought her home.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2016, 07:34:06 AM »
^^^
With that look and a whine, she'd get my bed...fridge contents...car keys...  =)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »
Last night was amazing.

She was pretty tired from playing at doggy daycare. I brought her home, we relaxed a bit and played some more, then I took her up to bed. She walked over to her crate, grabbed her duck, and almost immediately fell asleep.

I closed the crate, and she never uttered even a bit of protest.

I got up around 1:30 to let her out to pee and poo, and back to sleep until 4:30 when the alarm rang.

Same scenario.

Then I took her into the bathroom with me to water and feed her.

She got a little grumpy when I got into the shower, but she's calming down about that, as well.

I am so in love with this little girl!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 06:12:18 AM »

This is an absolutely crappy picture, but that's Seren...

Lying on the air conditioning vent. She discovered it the night before last, and wasn't sure what to make of it. Yesterday when we got home I fired up the AC, and she racked out on the vent for over an hour.

When the AC finally kicked off, she got rather pissy about it. Stood up and barked at the vent and grumbled. :rofl:

When the AC came back on a bit later, she ran from the kitchen to the living room and back on top of the vent until it was time to go to bed.

Love of AC, that's how I know my girl is truly a Leonberger!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 06:37:58 AM »
Yelling and grumbling at inanimate objects is how we know your girl is an Irwin.  :rofl:

Chris