Author Topic: Cards for Hard Of Hearing or Deaf to give a Police Officer during a Stop  (Read 2411 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
SWMBO is an audiologist and she came home with a few cards from the Cincinnati Police Department that stated the holder of the card was Deaf/Hard of Hearing.  She has multiple family members that are deaf or hard of hearing.  Since we, APS, are debating the hand movements of the most recent police shootings and some of us are not spring chickens any more and may be using hearing aids for assistance, I wanted to share the cards.

Hard of Hearing Card
Deaf Card

Webpage the cards came from
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Cards for Hard Of Hearing or Deaf to give a Police Officer during a Stop
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 04:32:55 PM »
The police will shoot you while you're trying to give them the card.  I'm serious.
"It's good, though..."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 04:37:12 PM »
"If you or another officer cannot sign, stop bitching about having to actually learn stuff directly related to your job and get your butt to a class."

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 04:47:21 PM »
The police will shoot you while you're trying to give them the card.  I'm serious.
The website even has a how to use the card on it, that is why I linked to it.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 05:24:35 PM »
I need one that will get them not to wrench my arms around or me period due to my back and shoulder issues because we've all seen the videos of cops dumping the disabled out of their wheelchairs and doing things to people who are screaming they have medical issues yet the cops ignore their cries because "the cops are afraid for their safety."  :facepalm: 
Makes it so ya understand why some people wanna [ar15] :police:  sometimes.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
SWMBO is an audiologist and she came home with a few cards from the Cincinnati Police Department that stated the holder of the card was Deaf/Hard of Hearing.  She has multiple family members that are deaf or hard of hearing.  Since we, APS, are debating the hand movements of the most recent police shootings and some of us are not spring chickens any more and may be using hearing aids for assistance, I wanted to share the cards.

Hard of Hearing Card
Deaf Card

Thank you! Cards saved and will be printed for the wife to use!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 09:11:03 PM »

Hard of Hearing Card
Deaf Card

My mother is deaf.
Reading the stories of police assaulting deaf people makes me feel....well I can't say in public.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 10:10:42 PM »
I have about 45% normal hearing since birth, and wear bilateral hearing aids.  I think about this sort of thing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 10:47:49 PM »
This is way better than my idea of making dark chocolate revolvers as a "Thank you for your service!"-gifts that people would hold out run up and give to cops.
I promise not to duck.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 10:53:15 PM »
Thank you! Cards saved and will be printed for the wife to use!
You're welcome.  Please make sure she reads the webpage on how to use them as it is very logical and easy.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 11:05:41 PM »

I have white privilege, they will give me coffee and donuts.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 12:30:00 AM »
You're welcome.  Please make sure she reads the webpage on how to use them as it is very logical and easy.

Link already sent to her and shared on Facebook. Thanks again!
MOLON LABE!

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 02:15:38 PM »
This is a thing that has been figured out in, of all places, Russia. Deaf drivers have a symbol to be displayed on their cars front and back. Police know driver is deaf before they come within shouting distance.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 05:09:05 PM »
This is a thing that has been figured out in, of all places, Russia. Deaf drivers have a symbol to be displayed on their cars front and back. Police know driver is deaf before they come within shouting distance.
Sounds like a good idea.  The deaf should probably come up with something here and use it.  Notify the local LEO's that they are distributing it.  No need to wait for politicians set up a law/regulation. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 12:43:27 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.  The deaf should probably come up with something here and use it.  Notify the local LEO's that they are distributing it.  No need to wait for politicians set up a law/regulation. 

I actually asked a deaf guy about that.

Some states have deaf license plates, but this is not universal. Some use the international Hard of Hearing symbol

Apparently, there have been problems with deaf drivers prominently displaying such things being targeted by carjackers.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 01:07:06 PM »
Apparently, there have been problems with deaf drivers prominently displaying such things being targeted by carjackers.

Deaf people are usually pretty good at looking around frequently.  Personally, I'd prefer to target people displaying one of the universal symbols for "not paying attention to my surroundings:" 

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 02:15:37 PM »

And the cops would still *expletive deleted*ck this up.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 10:42:06 PM »
And the cops would still *expletive deleted*ck this up.
For the very small percentage of incidents you actually hear about, yes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 06:42:27 PM »

my thoughts exactly.   Reach for it when told to not move, and they WILL shoot you.  As they should.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 10:05:50 PM »
my thoughts exactly.   Reach for it when told to not move, and they WILL shoot you.  As they should.

And again, read the linked website in the OP, as they have very logical instructions that include not handing the card to an officer.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 09:58:01 AM »

So a deaf person trying to give a cop a card informing them they're deaf is a *expletive deleted*ing death sentence?  Unbelievable.
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 02:13:35 PM »
Why does everyone wait until the officer is right no front of them to pull this stuff out?  From the time you see the officer behind you to the time you get pulled over and stopped, you should have the cards out and ready.  You can also have you wallet out on the dash with your ID and insurance card in your hand.  It isn't that difficult.  There is no reason to jump out of the car waving your arms around and reaching for your pocket. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 02:16:33 PM »
So a deaf person trying to give a cop a card informing them they're deaf is a *expletive deleted*ing death sentence?  Unbelievable.
No, charging at a cop while reaching in your pocket might be though.  Use a little imagination.  It isn't hard to figure out a good way to do it.  You don't have some unlimited right to simulate an attack on a police officer.   

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 03:34:44 PM »
Why does everyone wait until the officer is right no front of them to pull this stuff out?  From the time you see the officer behind you to the time you get pulled over and stopped, you should have the cards out and ready.  You can also have you wallet out on the dash with your ID and insurance card in your hand.  It isn't that difficult.  There is no reason to jump out of the car waving your arms around and reaching for your pocket. 

^This.   Yeah,  I've been stopped,  and I have always had my ID & papers ready when the officer gets to the car.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 04:59:03 PM »
No, charging at a cop while reaching in your pocket might be though.  Use a little imagination.  It isn't hard to figure out a good way to do it.  You don't have some unlimited right to simulate an attack on a police officer.   

We're not talking about someone taking out a vape while charging cops and pointing it at them in a full on isosceles stance.  We're talking about someone pulling a card from their mirror or wallet.
JD