Author Topic: OK, I got an electric shaver for Christmas...now what?  (Read 2527 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
OK, I got an electric shaver for Christmas...now what?
« on: December 30, 2006, 10:27:27 PM »
In 1965, my father presented me with what was then a rite of passage: a shaving razor.

I stubbled along (is "stubbled" even a word?) for decades, using this piece of antiquity. When companies sent free samples, I'd just use them, and keep the old razor for my motorcycle trips.

Last year, my mother bought my father a Norelco electric shaver. He's almost 90 years old, and can't figure out how to use it.

My MIL bought me a Norelco rechargeable shaver for Christmas.

Well, I'm now 56 years old, and I can't figure out how to use it, either.

Do I need to pull various parts of my face so that they're straight before the "triple cutting heads" will cut them clean? Or should I stand on my head?

Weeks ago, I went to a different "hair stylist."

(I put the term "stylist" in quotes, because I was genuinely apprehensive about the experience. Especially when she pulled out a straight razor, and started working on my neck).

Anyone who's experienced at using electric shavers, please chime in.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: OK, I got an electric shaver for Christmas...now what?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 10:39:26 PM »
Have you tried shaving?

How about reading the directions?

Hello, McFly. grin
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 10:52:24 PM »
Very funny, Fly320's. I've only been shaving for some 40+ years.

Early on, I cut myself a lot. That was the nature of single-blade razors.

I'm serious, though: I take this electric shaver and move it around my face and neck, and it seems like nothing has happened.

YES, I read the instructions. (And, NO, I did not read the parts written in Spanish or French).

Either I'm a complete dolt, or electric shavers just don't cut it.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 11:11:15 PM »
Mine works well for me.

Start with clean, dry skin.  Yes, pull your skin tight as you shave.  That Norelco is a rotary shaver, right?  If so, you move it around in circular patterns.  It will take some time for your skin and hair to adapt to the new shaver, keep working on it.  Switching back-and-forth with your safety razor won't work.

If that doesn't help, then stand on your head.

And go to bed, it's late.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 11:12:18 PM »
electric shavers are not wort it....get some of the new crop of blades out there.
Electric is only for folks who like stubble
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 11:43:32 PM »
Fly320s, thanks for the advice.

"And go to bed, it's late."

Hitting the sack now, sir. Wink

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 01:13:11 AM »
Benn using a Norelco for years. I don't pull skin tight but I'm not all old and wrinkly, yet. Circular motions is what works. My beard grows in all different directions so the Norelco is good for me, it's actually the oly thing I can get a decent shave out of, much better than anything straight, electric or otherwise.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 01:16:24 AM »

I'm serious, though: I take this electric shaver and move it around my face and neck, and it seems like nothing has happened.

YES, I read the instructions. (And, NO, I did not read the parts written in Spanish or French).

Did you plug it in?

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Oh, I'm 33.  When my Grandfather died 2 years ago, my Grandmother gave me his Shick double edged safety razor.

After large amounts of blood loss, I have figured it out.

That is a damn nice shave.

I never could use electric ones, they tore my skin too much.

I used Mach3's before that, but they were too expensive.
One day at a time.

Preacherman

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 03:13:04 AM »
I take this electric shaver and move it around my face and neck, and it seems like nothing has happened.

It helps if you remove the plastic cap over the shaving heads before you begin . . .  grin

Seriously, though, I use a Norelco rechargeable myself, and it works well for me.  Give your skin a bit of time to get used to it, and you should have no problems.  If there are loose patches of skin (something that happens to all of us as we get older, of course), tighten the skin with your fingers.  Use a circular motion, and make repeated passes over the skin.  Make sure the skin's dry before you start - wet skin catches and drags on the heads.

Remember to empty out the hair fragments every few days, and try not to shave portions of anatomy other than your face . . .  grin
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

pluvo

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 05:37:14 AM »
My father used an electric daily, but shaved with a manual razor once a week because the electric didn't shave close enough. It was one of those old razors that took the double sided blades.

Me, I'm lucky (or unlucky as the case may be) that I'm almost hairless & can get by with shaving once a week. I use a freebie I got in the mail (Mach 3 I think) & the blades last me months.

I tried Magic Shave for a while. If you don't time it just right or you'll get a nasty chemical burn, but when done right it lasted me for 2 weeks or more.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 05:50:13 AM »
Like everyone else said, take some time to let your face adapt to the electric. For me, using an electric means shaving daily because otherwise it always seems to leave hairs here and there if I shave after say 3 or more days (especially those danged grey ones that are starting to appear now).

I actually am neither a big fan of shaving nor of growing a beard, so these days I end up using a Mach 3 most of the time and just shaving every other day or so (except those times I'm supposed to be "presentable" at work).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 06:02:53 AM »
The only electric shaver I ever had that worked was a $100 Remington. It broke after about 6 months.

Now most of the time I go "au naturel", and just lop off my beard when it gets unruly.

Thus, I only have to shave quarterly. (Occasional trimming excepted)
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

crt360

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 07:44:46 AM »
I have an old Braun electric that will shave so close, I won't have to shave for two days.  It also shaves so close that I get ingrown hairs from it and, as a result, I no longer use it.

I used to use single blade disposable razors.  When double bladed razors came out I thought they were a gimmick, until I tried one.  I used the double bladed razors forever.  When the three-bladed razors came out I figured it was again a gimmick, until I got a free one.  I swear I'm not going to try a four-blade razor.
For entertainment purposes only.

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 07:51:43 AM »
I use Mach III's immediately after a shower.  (Electric never worked for me.)

Luckily, I'm an American Indian with very little facial hair.

When was the last time you saw an Indian with a beard?  Smiley
Zeke

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 08:02:54 AM »
I used an electric when I was younger.  It worked fine early on, but after a year or two, it would tend to tear up my neck.  I use the triple blade disposables now.  They are the same price as replacement blades and I think they last longer. 

I pretty much need to shave daily, but I skip on weekends a lot.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 08:12:39 AM »
With the electrics, you still have to replace blades, I think they recommend every year or so.  So don't forget that, or you will definitely be left with big red blotches on your neck towards the end of the blades' life cycle.

And like some other posters have mentioned, you really have to use the eletric every day.  If you use it every 2-3 days it's going to miss hairs and take you forever to get all of them, and if you try to use it once a week it'll feel exactly like it's tearing the hairs out of your face instead of cutting them.  If you let it get too long, either switch back to a safety razor or run the "beard trimmer" pop-out thingie over your entire face to get rid of some of the length first.

Me, I used to use a Norelco my dad got me in high school, but lately I've been a much happier Mach 3 man--mainly because I can let my facial hair get really, really nasty, go in the bathroom, and come out completely clean shaved just a few minutes later.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 08:16:23 AM »
Before the Army, I shaved with a straight razor. I think that's one of the reasons why I have a beard now...

I went through a period of time when I was shaving my head. Got real tired of ahole klucker skins in bars thinking I was their new bestest buddy, so I have fuzz up there now... Used several electrics (that's a little rough on 'em...), and what worked best was a bic in the shower.

Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 08:48:02 AM »
I skipped the shave this morning. Wife says to me, "Getting a little scruffy are we?"  cheesy

HForrest

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 09:14:50 AM »
I use a product called "Lectric Shave" with my Norelco. It seems to make a definite difference in the closeness of the shave, I'd recommend it.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 09:29:57 AM »
The Padre beat me to it on the plastic caps.  grin

Trade it in for a Norelco model you can use in the shower.  I have one and it works great.  After you are finished with your normal shower ablutions, lather up your face with your normal soap and then shave in a circular pattern.  You'll have to learn what method works best for different parts of your face and it takes a couple weeks to get your face acclimated to the shaver.  But having a wet soapy face lets the immersible model work great.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006, 09:42:51 AM »
I skipped the shave this morning. Wife says to me, "Getting a little scruffy are we?"  cheesy
So, she didn't shave this morning either?
Don

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 11:39:08 AM »
 laugh Wise @$$...  grin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 01:00:41 PM »
Buncha comedians. Wink

I guess I'll keep at it. But I'll keep my old-fashioned razors for when I wear a suit. I have a couple of silk shirts I really like, and I don't want to ruin the collars because of a poor shave.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 01:58:50 PM »
Ain't nothin' like a blade & a lather, but an electric will do in a pinch.

A friend of the family would shave with a blade & lather in the AM and after lunch with an electric at work, as he had a 5 o'clock shadow by noon.  In my mind, I nick-named him , "Brillo-Man."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 02:33:21 PM »
It'll take at least a month for your skin and beard to adopt to a rotary razor.

Start with a dry face and beard until your face adopts.

Lectric Shave is a good lubricant.

Shave with a circular motion slow and light touch.  Keeps from imbedding hairs.

An electric razor will not shave as close as a razor so don't expect it to.

Once a week clean the cutters with a brush.

Once a month put the head into a container of alcohol after its been brushed.

If you have a problem with imbedded hairs finish off your shave with a Scotch Green pad.  Sounds brutal but works.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon