Author Topic: Finally did what I've been threatening to do...  (Read 2583 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Finally did what I've been threatening to do...
« on: January 02, 2007, 04:11:51 PM »
bought a metric tape measure.

Actually, it's more than metric, it has metric/English scales on BOTH the front and rear of the tape, which also makes it very useful for me, a left hander.

Made by Kobalt.

Nice measure.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Finally did what I've been threatening to do...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 08:27:11 PM »
I'm new to the tool market, and haven't seen a lot of Kobalt stuff.  Are they a good label?  Have they been around a while?  I have a pair of their needle-nose pliers, and they seem pretty good. 

Oh, yeah, I forget to say you're a cheese-eating surrender monkey, metric-boy.  Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 02:59:29 AM »
Kobalt's pretty decent.  If what I've heard is true, they're made by the same company that used to make Craftsman for Sears (back when Craftsman was considered "good").  I have a few Kobalt tools and haven't had any problems with them. 

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 03:44:19 AM »
. . . back when Craftsman was considered "good" . . .
Actually, the basic ordinary Craftsman hand tools - screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. - are still good. I have doubts about some of their newer, fancier hand tools (the ones advertised by Bob Villa on the "Craftsman Workshop" cable show) and their power tools have never had the reputation of, say, Black & Decker. (Sadly, B&D has gone seriously downhill on many of their power tools.)

As for Kobalt . . . isn't that basically the house brand at Lowe's?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 03:52:58 AM »
When that hack Boob Vila promotes a particular tool it immediately becomes part of my "tools I'll never buy" list. Congrats on the new tape, I can't recall ever buying anything made by Kobalt. I lose tools so often I tend to buy the cheap crap rather than lose a $50 wrench or screwdriver or a $30 tape measure.

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 04:20:30 AM »
Yup, Kobalt is the Lowe's house brand. Don't let that fool ya though, they're good stuff.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 04:24:27 AM »
Well, this tape certainly qualifies as cheap. It was only IIRC $13 or so for a 33 foot tape.

The case has a very substantial weight and feel to it, though.

The rule lock mechanism feels a little flimsy, though.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 05:17:44 AM »
Actually, the basic ordinary Craftsman hand tools - screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. - are still good.
I was merely commenting on popular errornet opinion.  I find current production Craftsman handtools (non-mechanized stuff) perfectly fine for my needs.  However, if you get on some of the car forums, folks there think Craftsman is barely better than chinese pot metal.  I dunno.  In the 15 years I've been buying tools for myself, I've only had one Craftsman tool fail on me (a 1/2" ratchet).  I lose more than I break. Smiley

As for tape measures, the only one I own is a Stanley brand one.  It may not be the best, but it works.  I got it because it's the same as the one my dad has used for as long as I can remember. I'm not replacing it until it either breaks or they develop one that not only measures, but judges the quality of the board and cuts it for me.  I loathe carpentry work.  My workbench is the only carpentry job that turned out ok and even it's about 2" taller than I wanted.  I still don't  know how I managed that.   

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 06:03:49 AM »
I have only broken three craftman hand tools also. Two were my own fault and one just wore out. I broke two 3/8"x 4" entension trying to remove lugnuts that were last taken off in the 50's on an old Shasta Camper. I didn't take those back for warranty replacement because I knew it was my own fault, I should have used 1/2" drive.

I have a 3/8" rachet I need to take back to Sears because it doesn't lock up anymore.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 06:16:06 AM »
I've broken numerous Craftsman hand tools over the years, usually by far exceeding their design specifications trying to accomplish the task.

Good example, using a 1/4" wratchet and socket to attempt to remove a THOROUGHLY rusted in place head bolt.

Took it back to Sears, told them the wratchet failed, and walked out with a new one.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 06:59:05 AM »
yup, design specs... I broke a 1/2" drive deepwell socket trying to break loose a seized wheel nut with a 18" breaker (the socket split up the side)... then promptly twisted the head off a 3/8" adapter and broke a 3/8 to 1/2" extension in two.

Sears replaced them all free. Now, I hear that they'll bust you if you're using an air wrench on non-rated bits, like tha tthinwall socket... but I broke mine all by hand so they were cool with it :-D

Let's see, if I'm putting 200 pounds of deadlift force on the end if an 18" breaker, that's 300lb-ft torque idn'it? I'm surprised I didn't shear a stud... I think the nuts were rusted solid to the wheels.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 07:06:28 AM »
Next time sploosh them with oh, I don't know, WD-40 and let them soak for a while.  grin

WD-40  cheesy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 07:08:15 AM »
heh, that move thingie is fun...  laugh

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 07:22:26 AM »
Next time sploosh them with oh, I don't know, WD-40 and let them soak for a while.

Lol.  Last night, I bought my first can of WD-40 in years.  I bought it to try on the stove, but I'm sure I'll use it elsewhere now that I have it.

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 07:43:02 AM »
I happen to know that garage door techs recommend it for the rollers and track instead of grease. You have to apply it regularly though.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 07:47:48 AM »
Really?  I thought you were supposed to keep them clean?  I learned this after lubing up the track with heavy grease.

Since then, I've cleaned the track and installed nylon rollers, which are blissfully quiet.

Chris

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 07:52:51 AM »
Right, the grease collected dirt and got gummy but the WD doesn't. Uh oh, looks like we got us a case of cross thread contamination...  shocked

cheesy

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 09:04:49 AM »
"Made by Kobalt"  means made in China.  Congratulations on expanding your horizons and on helping the chi com economy.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 09:14:28 AM »
"Made by Kobalt"  means made in China.  Congratulations on expanding your horizons and on helping the chi com economy.

Not according to http://www.usstuff.com/tools.htm

or

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html

Depending on where you look, they're made by Dannaher.  They were being produced by J.H. Williams (a division of Snap On) at one point.

That at least covers their hand tools.  I have no idea who makes the power tools and other stuff with the Kobalt name.

Chris

PS Don't look at the lable on your keyboard or the parts inside your PC. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 09:19:03 AM »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

crt360

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 10:31:25 AM »
I've got some older Kobalt sockets.  I haven't found any reason to complain about them.  Actually, I think they're quite good.  I even have some metric ones.  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 10:33:13 AM »

How's the picture holding up on your 7" Dumont?

Can you get the Mod Squad on that thing, or are you limited to the Ted Mack Original Amateur Hour?

rolleyes

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 05:35:02 PM »
Lord forbid he figures out who made his shoes or WalMart Lynyrd Skynyrd t-shirt.  rolleyes

Speaking of widgets, my sister bought all the men in her family one of the new Black & Decker Auto-Wrenches.  For those who haven't seen it, it's the crescent wrench with the internal motor that opens and closes the jaws with the push of a rubberized rocker switch.

I haven't used it on anything yet, but I've killed the two AAA batteries sitting in front of the TV hitting the open and close buttons for hours at a time. Very therapeutic!  grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 08:42:51 AM »

I haven't used it on anything yet, but I've killed the two AAA batteries sitting in front of the TV hitting the open and close buttons for hours at a time. Very therapeutic!

See?  SEE!  It's a conspiracy by Big Battery   shocked

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

crt360

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007, 09:26:56 AM »
Will it crack pecans?

I'd have already busted the little motor testing its crushing strength on various nearby objects.
For entertainment purposes only.