Author Topic: SOMALIA!!!  (Read 3326 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
SOMALIA!!!
« on: January 08, 2007, 05:05:42 PM »
Ahh... Life is good. Unless you're a terrorist...

Blog under construction

Preacherman

Re: SOMALIA!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 05:09:39 PM »
Elucidations? Huh?
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, an AC-130 bombed/shot up some terrorists/terrorist stuff in Somalia today.

Edit: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070109/ts_nm/somalia_qaeda_report_dc
Andy

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 05:42:27 PM »
Yup, sucks to be them.

grin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 06:04:50 PM »
What?  How could our military have carried out this operation in Somalia?  I thought all of our assets were in Iraq/Afghanistan/BorderPatrol, being stretched thin. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 06:07:41 PM »
China bombed a camp on the Pakistani border today, too.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 06:08:49 PM »
An al-Qaeda camp?  Source?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 06:42:43 PM »
savage nation talked about that today , saying China doesn't care about collateral damage or begging permission from new york times...

here goes the other article
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. gunship has conducted a strike against two suspected al Qaeda operatives in southern Somalia, but it was not known whether the mission was successful, U.S. news networks reported on Monday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The U.S. Air Force plane, operated by the Special Operations Command, flew from its base in Djibouti to the southern tip of Somalia, where the al Qaeda suspects were believed to have fled from the capital Mogadishu, U.S. networks reported.

A
Pentagon spokesman said he had no information on the reports.

The two suspected al Qaeda operatives were not named but CBS News said one was a suspect in the car bomb attacks on the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 and the other was the Islamist group's senior leader in East Africa.

The report said many bodies were seen on the ground after the attack by the AC-130 gunship, but the identities of the dead were not confirmed.

The al Qaeda suspects fled Mogadishu after Ethiopian troops invaded on December 28 and were tracked with unmanned aerial drones as they moved south, CBS said.

NBC News reported that U.S. officials said Ethiopian forces, which had conducted raids in Somalia, had gathered intelligence on three potential al Qaeda leaders believed responsible for the 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Nairobi and Tanzania.

NBC reported that the airstrikes were part of an ongoing operation and that the U.S. aircraft carrier Eisenhower was moving from the North Arabian Sea toward Somalia to support the operation.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 06:48:55 PM »
You know, right about now, one of their "intelligence" people is muttering to himself...

"But I thought we had beaten them! Their new government is in power! The Bush and his armies are powerless, and their people love us!"

Remembered something this afternoon... before I heard about this... About 15-20 years ago, had a neighbor when I was living in the city... Arab fellow of some sort... He insisted that our country was weak, because we chose negotiation over fighting, and because our government peacefully changed... He was appalled that people would openly criticize the leadership...

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 08:28:38 PM »
He must have missed WWII and the Cold War.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 12:39:22 AM »
Funny we can find "suspected terrorists" all the way over in the wilds of Somalia and bomb them - but we can not root them out in our own country while they roam around openly and ship them out.

---------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 03:21:12 AM »
Funny we can find "suspected terrorists" all the way over in the wilds of Somalia and bomb them - but we can not root them out in our own country while they roam around openly and ship them out.
I'm not sure why you keep saying that.  We have found at least one terrorist cell (in Buffalo) and I think I remember hearing about others.  If we did find terrorists, why would we "ship them out"?  You remember the "secret CIA prisons" and rendition, right?  And GITMO?  Or are there a handful of cells we know about and are watching/infiltrating, because this is better than deportation? 

Also, it looks like "we" didn't find them.  One wonders what sort of action the Ethopian govt. took to find this info.  Might have made the PATRIOT Act look like the Bill of Rights by comparison. 
Quote from: Reuters
U.S. officials said Ethiopian forces, which had conducted raids in Somalia, had gathered intelligence on three potential al Qaeda leaders believed responsible for the 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Nairobi and Tanzania.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 04:51:15 AM »
No, Fistful, no just don't get it.
There are dozens, hundreds, of terrorist cells operating here.  The proof is that we never hear about them.  They come up through Mexico because our borders are so lax.  They havent launched a single attack in 6 years because they are keeping a low profile.  In this they are helped by the criminal and incompetant George Bush, who is in the pay of Saudi Arabia.
See, Bush was in the oil business.  And Saudi Arabia exports oil.  Mexico also exports oil.  And Mexico also exports emigrants coming here to take Saudi oil from hard working Americans and Bush encourages this.
Now dont you get it?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 05:28:29 AM »

They roam openly here? I thought they had a tendency to hide.

Somalia now, there they roam openly waving flags and rifles, massing into large groups and setting up camps.

Unless you think we can attack Dearborn or Brooklyn with an AC-130, then the comparison is ludicrous.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 06:55:45 AM »
...the comparison is ludicrous.
What's that got to do with anything??

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 09:29:57 AM »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 10:34:41 AM »
I concur with 280plus.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 01:22:02 PM »
Djibouti.   grin
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 03:54:59 PM »
a c- 130 gunship  says bad day in spades if your the guy they are shooting at

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 04:40:43 PM »
a c- 130 gunship  says bad day in spades if your the guy they are shooting at
And just to be sure, send in some helicopter gunships the next day to clean up. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070110/ap_on_re_af/somalia

It's just not fair, when you think about it.  How's a humble terrorist supposed to get by when he can't even hide out in a place like Somalia?  Those poor terrorists just can't win.

grin

Keep it coming, boys!  Hit 'em again tomorrow!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 05:46:23 PM »
I am curious how much support the US is sending toward Ethiopia right now. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 06:07:37 PM »
Quote from: LAK on Today at 05:39:22 AM

A wise man whose politics I don't overly agree with once said; better to have everybody think yer an idiot than to type without thinking on APS and remove all doubt,  or something to that effect.

nothing worse than getting your ass handed to ya by the friggin somalies, then having an AC130 add insult to injury.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 06:19:16 PM »
You hit Big Jake!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 06:45:23 PM »
Djibouti.

I loved my stay there. I got to hang out with some French Foreign Legion guys for a while. Their favorite pastime was picking fights with the regular French army guys there.

We stayed in a hotel that cost 90 bucks a night, in a country where the per capita income was probably around 30 dollars a month. Most made a lot less. That country made me realize why many people think the US is the land of milk and honey. Here I was, a poor enlisted sailor, and was wealthy beyond many of their dreams.

Some of the best french food I have ever eaten. Some french ex-pats were there and they were running a great crepes shop.

Somalia on the other hand, was a different story. Except for one particular italian restaurant in Mogadishu that country was a pit. We stayed in Berbera (northern somalia) a few times, it made Mogadishu look like NYC.

bob

LAK

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 11:46:50 PM »
fistful et al,

This has an overlap with another thread. We are spread all over the globe, chasing "terrorists", while there seems to be the opinion that we can not possibly clean house and return to normal at home.

Of course this is the perpetual war for perpetual peace. Not news to me, and just an observation.

---------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org