Author Topic: Citgo Boycott Update  (Read 3752 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Citgo Boycott Update
« on: January 09, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »
There are, or were, two Citgo stations near my house.  They are now wearing new names.  One is Midwest Petroleum (never heard of them), the other Conoco/Phillips.  I haven't been patronizing them since Mr. Chavez's antics at the UN.  I wonder if others have been avoiding these two stations as well. 

For some reason, the pump cut me off at fifty dollars.  Huh?  I put in my card again, and got another ten bucks out of it. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Re: Citgo Boycott Update
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 02:09:25 PM »
I don't use Citgo, but not due to any political considerations.  Purely financial.

Need gasoline for the car one day last spring, I dropped by Citgo to fill up.  Used the "Premium" grade fuel.  After that full tank had been burned, my calculated milage had dropped from 34.5 mpg to the high 20s mpg (have to check records for exact figure).  No change in driving habits or major change in weather, so the only source I can see was the change in fuel.  When I went back to my usual fuel supply (Shell Premium), milage jumped back up to 34.5 mpg after THAT tank.

So no Citco for my vehicles.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Dean C

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 02:22:32 PM »
I too haven't bought Citgo for awhile. It started out with the boycott but had to fill up with no other gas around. As mentioned by Sindawe my miliage went down too. Dropped a good 4+ mpg. Started using Shell and all was back up to snuff. Then, it dropped by 4 mpg too.  It's the ethonol I found out. I guess I have to figure out a way to buy gas outside of a crowded metro area. Boonie gas is still gas, not vegie oil.
dean
Viet Nam Vet
Legion member
WA 2A member

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 02:32:14 PM »
I haven't been to a Citgo in ages, though not for political reasons.  Around here their gas prices aren't too competitive, and every Citgo station I can think of is a run down, filthy hole in the wall.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 03:28:26 PM »
Back when I was just out of High School, I was a manager at a Texaco Station.  One thing I learned there was that different fuel companies had different standards for purity.  Chevron and Texaco were pretty much the top of the list as far as fuel purity.  Granted, this was about 12 years ago.   This is what I learned from the fuel delivery drivers.   When they hauled a load for one of the "budget" fuel companies, they had to flush the tanker trucks because of the layer of sludge and grime on the bottom of the trucks.   There is a max levels of impurities allowed by law, and when the "budget" companies would get a dirty batch of fuel, they'd hold it until a cleaner load came through, then blend the batches to meet the maximum level of impurities.  The high end brands, on the other hand, prefiltered their fuel before it arrived at the storage yards, then filtered again as it was loaded onto the trucks...  And then our pumps had filters as well.

Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 05:15:43 PM »
Never heard of Midwest/Petroleum but there is a NRA boycott of Conoco/Phillips the last I heard.  Conoco/Phillips is one of the companies in Oklahoma to enter the lawsuit to block the law to prevent employers from banning legally owned firearms form employees vehicles.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 06:02:52 PM »
Boonie gas is still gas, not vegie oil.

damn straight,  i gotta look long and hard to find halfway diesel that isn't that shitty ultra low sulfur crap

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 06:08:52 PM »
There is a NRA boycott of Conoco/Phillips the last I heard.  Conoco/Phillips is one of the companies in Oklahoma to enter the lawsuit to block the law to prevent employers from banning legally owned firearms form employees vehicles.
I support the rights of property/business owners to keep guns/Christians/Blacks/etc. off of their land or out of their businesses.

And, yes, I am a Christian gun owner with no love for racism.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
I support the rights of property/business owners to keep guns/Christians/Blacks/etc. off of their land or out of their businesses.

This bears repeating.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 04:39:35 AM »
There is a NRA boycott of Conoco/Phillips the last I heard.  Conoco/Phillips is one of the companies in Oklahoma to enter the lawsuit to block the law to prevent employers from banning legally owned firearms form employees vehicles.

And, yes, I am a Christian gun owner with no love for racism.

I defend their right to control their property... but actions have consequences, and as a CCW in Oklahoma, they get no more of my business.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 05:54:13 AM »
every Citgo station I can think of is a run down, filthy hole in the wall.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 06:07:06 AM »
I used to see several Citgo gas stations around here where I live, but most of them seem to either have closed up or been bought out by someone else.
Andy

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 08:12:50 AM »
I don't favor Citgo with my custom.  I don't want any chance that my money is financing Hugo Chavez.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 08:21:35 AM »
I defend their right to control their property... but actions have consequences, and as a CCW in Oklahoma, they get no more of my business.

So, do I support Conoco/Phillips in their stand for property/association rights?  Or do I go along with the NRA's apparent disregard for those rights because it might make it easier for a gun-owner who's working where's he's not welcome?

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 09:46:04 AM »
Legally, you support Conoco/Phillips.  With your gas business, you go elsewhere.  Just as they have a right to their position, you have a right to express your displeasure with their position.  Not to mention hte militia/posse implications of such a policy.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 10:04:37 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't interpret their position as anti-gun so much as "let us make our own rules on our own property."  How many boycotts do you think I can manage, anyway? 

Not to mention hte militia/posse implications of such a policy.
Such as?

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 11:54:08 AM »
One can hardly fulfill one's militia or law enforcement duties in a crisis without the appropriate tools ready to hand.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 11:55:28 AM »
Back when I was just out of High School, I was a manager at a Texaco Station.  One thing I learned there was that different fuel companies had different standards for purity.  Chevron and Texaco were pretty much the top of the list as far as fuel purity.  Granted, this was about 12 years ago.   This is what I learned from the fuel delivery drivers.   When they hauled a load for one of the "budget" fuel companies, they had to flush the tanker trucks because of the layer of sludge and grime on the bottom of the trucks.   There is a max levels of impurities allowed by law, and when the "budget" companies would get a dirty batch of fuel, they'd hold it until a cleaner load came through, then blend the batches to meet the maximum level of impurities.  The high end brands, on the other hand, prefiltered their fuel before it arrived at the storage yards, then filtered again as it was loaded onto the trucks...  And then our pumps had filters as well.

This is mostly urban legend and creative marketing. All gasoline is essentially the same thing. it all comes in the same pipeline to the same terminal where it is blended with additives. Slightly different additives are added for different brands, but not so there is any real difference.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 01:03:43 PM »
One can hardly fulfill one's militia or law enforcement duties in a crisis without the appropriate tools ready to hand.

Then the militia-oriented or law-enforcement employee should GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!  Don't make me cry here, man!  If your job gets in the way of what you percieve to be your civic duty, then find another bloody job.  It's not that hard! 

OK.  It may be hard to find another job.  Figuring out the right answer is not that hard. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 05:20:42 PM »
When it comes to things such as Conoco/Phillips and others who want to control what is on their property that is their right and when it comes to my safety as an employee they can to a point guarantee my safety while on their property.  But once I leave their property can they now do that.  No, and as a person who can legally CCW in the state of Oklahoma and legally own my firearms I should be able to have the means to protect myself when between work and home.

So the biggest question is whose rights are more important, the individual's or the company's?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 05:40:05 PM »
So the biggest question is whose rights are more important, the individual's or the company's?
That is not the question at all.  Two people's rights can never truly conflict.  If they seem to, then someone has a wrong idea of what rights they have.

You have a right to protect yourself.  You have a right to own a gun.  But you don't have a right to work for company X.  Again, get a job where they don't mind if you protect yourself.  Get another job.  It's just that simple.  If it's that important to you, get another job. 

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 11:24:41 AM »
When it comes to things such as Conoco/Phillips and others who want to control what is on their property that is their right and when it comes to my safety as an employee they can to a point guarantee my safety while on their property.  But once I leave their property can they now do that.  No, and as a person who can legally CCW in the state of Oklahoma and legally own my firearms I should be able to have the means to protect myself when between work and home.

Lets back off from big company bashing and take it closer to home.

Suppose you ran a small business out of your home with a couple employees. How would you feel if some government fiat required you to allow any employee to keep anything they wanted to in their car in your driveway?
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 12:12:53 PM »

Then the militia-oriented or law-enforcement employee should GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!  Don't make me cry here, man!  If your job gets in the way of what you percieve to be your civic duty, then find another bloody job.  It's not that hard! 

OK.  It may be hard to find another job.  Figuring out the right answer is not that hard. 

I'm not disagreeing with you.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 01:40:51 PM »
I've seen one Citgo close here. I had used this station before, but over the last several years they have been 5-10 cents per gallon more than the other stations nearby. I didn't see very many cars fueling there. I think they put themselves out of business with their fuel prices.

pluvo

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 12:56:06 PM »
Lets back off from big company bashing and take it closer to home.

Suppose you ran a small business out of your home with a couple employees. How would you feel if some government fiat required you to allow any employee to keep anything they wanted to in their car in your driveway?

No problem. I don't feel I should have the right to tell my guests what they can & can not have in their own vehicles.

Should you have the right to tell them they can't smoke to & from your home or what radio stations are verbotten? A private vehicle is just that.