Author Topic: I grinched my own Christmas  (Read 6110 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: I grinched my own Christmas
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 08:32:23 AM »

I'm betting that the only thing you've transcended is another notch in your belt given Michelle's normal Christmas food output...  =D

Nope!  I have...and executed...self control. :D

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 08:37:38 AM »
If I may make a smart-assed remark, may I gently suggest that folks who work in IT are not qualified to comment on this issue...

"I was annoyed at it for about a week... "

Yup.  Time.  Like I said.  Time.

Terry

Island in the Wilderness by Bob Ross
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »
Nope!  I have...and executed...self control. :D

Chris

And I thought you wanted the handcuffs and shackles for Michelle, not for yourself.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 08:47:33 AM »
And I thought you wanted the handcuffs and shackles for Michelle, not for yourself.

I only wear them at mealtime.   :police:

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 09:00:28 AM »
I only wear them at mealtime.   :police:

Chris

Wouldn't it be easier for you just to wear your gimp mask?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
Wouldn't it be easier for you just to wear your gimp mask?

Who said I didn't?

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 09:13:02 AM »
Well, judging by that picture, you are losing weight, but it's just making your rack more prominent.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 11:50:35 AM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 11:54:25 AM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 04:57:59 PM »
I just read the runes and cast the spells these days and leave the `lectric' stuff to the twidgets.

My ist Text capable phone, a Nokia brick, I hadn't blocked incoming text yet (I paid per word or some ridiculous carp if I used it sending OR receiving!) and recieved my 1st message, a .gif image of a couple "fluffing!"  :facepalm:

Speedy
Señor Programmer / Analcyst
 :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »
Well, judging by that picture, you are losing weight, but it's just making your rack more prominent.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nice skirt

Per the blog I got the pic from, that is a guy, a friend of the blogger.

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2017, 10:39:05 PM »
Getting back to the OP...

I tend to agree.  Going from Landlines to cellphones was a giant technological leap.   Cell phones being able to text was a technological step up.  The Smart Phone (internet, camera, and a variety of apps) was another giant leap. 

Now, the only things the manufacturers and providers can offer is incremental improvements.  Better cameras, more storage, more apps, etc.  Same with computers. 

And same with the software.  I often think that they change the "user experience" simply to justify the "It's New and Improved !!!"*  Pricing.    SO you have the time sink of new learning curve to figure out the "features" that you used to use.   And look at your phone.  How many features do you on a fairly consistent (say daily, or at least weekly) basis.  Probably a dozen of so ??   There may be a couple of others that you might go to, but then you do only one or two things that app offers.  I have 10 "apps" on the main screen of my phone that I use on at least a once a week basis, yet, there at 120 apps on "Apps" screens that are also in my phone, I've only ever used three of the 120.

So in addition to the re-learning curve of "improved" programs, there's also all the bloatware that needs to be turned off or at least re-set so it doesn't interfere with trying to get other things done.  (e.g. I don't need the constant FB notifications every time one of my friends likes or posts anything....) 

My son tried to technology shame me when I got my "new" phone.  It's a Kyocera E-6560.  It's a re-furb and about 3 years past the bleeding edge.%  Which was fine by me.  I'm not taking Oleg or Monkeyleg quality pics.  I'm taking pictures for me and/or to share on FB.& It does what I need want it to do.   I offered to put my son on my phone plan when the contract his mother had for his phone expired.  For reasons I can't understand#, before the contract expired she went out and got him (on $$$ lease terms) the latest and greatest Samsung Galaxy phone. 

Anyway, "newer" isn't always better.  Redesigning something just to milk consumers for cash is not a good long term strategy, as it pisses off your customer(s) base.  As Apple is finding out with the iPhone X.  (I heard that sales are either 10 or 35 million units below projections, I disremember the exact number as the radio news guy reported on the dramatic fall in Apple's stock price...)

*- Yes, I know it can either be "new" or "improved", but they tend to change so much that it often is something completely new from what it previously was.

%- A friend of mine worked for a leading edge technology company.  They were often on what he referred to as the "Bleeding Edge".  The company eventually imploded because as he pointed out, being on the bleeding edge meant that you often found yourself bleeding.

&- Although I often say "That would have been a great pic." after the moment has passed, and my phone is still in my pocket...

#-  I know the "why", but I don't understand her logic...well, lack thereof.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2017, 02:46:15 AM »

*- Yes, I know it can either be "new" or "improved", but they tend to change so much that it often is something completely new from what it previously was.

And it's more often than not debatable whether what's "new" is an "improvement." Different does not automatically equate to better.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2017, 05:06:46 AM »

Chris

My guess is somebody lost a bet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »

That is exactly what it was.  I didn't pay attention to the details, but apparently he had to do a pub crawl with that thing on.  They eventually relented and let him remove it because it was taking so long to drink beers via a straw. :D

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2017, 08:45:16 AM »

My guess is Chris lost a bet... :rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2017, 08:46:47 AM »

Chris

I was waffling back and forth over whether it was a skinny, flat chested girl or a guy... Just not enough visual clues to figure it out.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2017, 08:48:24 AM »
And it's more often than not debatable whether what's "new" is an "improvement." Different does not automatically equate to better.

It also doesn't automatically equate to "worse". 

For example, the MS Ribbon, after learning it (and it didn't take very long), has resulted in a net positive for me.  I wouldn't go back to the older versions of Office.

As for phones, I use or have used Windows Mobile, Android from 4.x to 7.x, and IOS.  While they're all different, they mostly follow similar design parameters such that I really don't struggle to switch between them.  At this moment in time, my personal phone is Android 4.4 (mainly because I like the hardware), my daughter's phone is Android 7.x, SWMBO's is IOS (iPhone 5s), and my work phone is Windows Mobile 10.  I simply don't get the ansgt and struggle of switching.  I think a lot of it is "it's new and different and I don't like it" rather than it being an actual challenge.  Some people try to hard to be offended or inconvenienced by change.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2017, 08:49:09 AM »
I was waffling back and forth over whether it was a skinny, flat chested girl or a guy... Just not enough visual clues to figure it out.

It wasn't clear to me either until I read the text and they referred to "he". :D

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2017, 09:04:33 AM »
  I think a lot of it is "it's new and different and I don't like it" rather than it being an actual challenge.  Some people try to hard to be offended or inconvenienced by change.

Chris

Technology snowflakes???

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »
"It also doesn't automatically equate to "worse". "

BULL! CHANGE IS BAD! ALL CHANGE IS BAD! YOU'RE AN IDIOT IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH THAT! CHANGE IS ALSO EVIL! LIKE HILLARY EVIL!

I was grumpy as hell (OK, so what else is new... *expletive deleted*ck off!) when Microsoft brought out the ribbon. It has advantages, I could see those early on, but one of the things it did that I did NOT like was that it took some grouped tasks that had been available in previous versions as a palette that could be opened and remain open and made them ribbon bound. I found that to be VERY annoying, because to get to some of the image resizing and manipulation tools I need to use regularly on documents it now requires 3 and 4 clicks to get to where I can perform the task, where as before I could do it all from the palette.

Another change I don't like that was rolled out in Word 365 is that margin comments are now not numbered. That made it very easy to discuss by saying "go to comment 47."
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 10:09:58 AM by Mike Irwin »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2017, 09:15:28 AM »
Technology snowflakes???

In my Mother's case... advancing dementia.

Her old computer, that she was very familiar with, died, so I got her a new one. As part of the new computer process, a lot of her programs updated, some of them substantially.

For the next three *expletive deleted*ing years all I heard was "You broke my computer! Why won't you put my computer back the way it was!"

Even early on, when she was still fairly cognizant, she just couldn't, or wouldn't, wrap her head around the concept of computer programs updating and changing.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2017, 09:35:11 AM »
I don't even have the MS Ribbon.  My company decided to switch over to all Google apps which are accessed via Chrome.  I can't even open a word processor document off my hard drive.  I have to upload it to a cloud drive first.  It wouldn't be so bad if Google had a PDF editor in the package, but they don't.  I end up working out of cloud folders and hard drive folders.  The funny thing to me is most of the online company applications can't access our Google cloud folders so we still need to copy back and forth.  

I just want to get my work done and I don't generally need new features.  When software companies change stuff just so they can change it, I lose productivity trying to learn a new way to get my stuff done.  I am still a bit upset that MS changed the Office drop down menus and that was over 10 years ago.  However, software stuff has regularly changed my entire career.  It is nothing new and occasionally it is even an improvement.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2017, 09:53:01 AM »
I don't even have the MS Ribbon.  My company decided to switch over to all Google apps which are accessed via Chrome.  I can't even open a word processor document off my hard drive.  I have to upload it to a cloud drive first.  

That actually bothers me a whole lot more than any GUI changes with new hardware/software. I'll gripe, or even cuss like a sailor for a while when I'm forced to change to something new. Sometimes I'll eventually like it as much, or more, than the old stuff, sometimes I'll hate it and find a workaround. I griped when XP came out, but ended up loving it. I went straight to Win7 with a smile on my face. I still hate Win10 and run (or did until they stopped supporting it) classic shell.

But with that stuff, I still have some choices. I absolutely do not like everything going to the cloud. While I understand (and experienced) how that can boost productivity in various work environments, I absolutely hate it as the only option. While I have lots of stuff in the cloud, I also absolutely want to have my stuff on physical media in my presence, and want to be able to access it anytime, with or without an internet connection. I already started another topic here about Amazon Music. I trusted them to host all my music, but now they are already removing all non-Amazon music off their servers. If I hadn't found that out from news articles, I wouldn't have known to start downloading my non-Amazon library like mad before I lose that music, which I specifically put there (and paid them for) so it would be protected from deletion/fire burning my hard drives, etc.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2017, 09:56:55 AM »
 :old:

Try being the end user with software changes when lives are literally on the line.  Oh sure, we may not like it, but you learn it and to work with it.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”