Author Topic: I grinched my own Christmas  (Read 6111 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
I grinched my own Christmas
« on: December 25, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »
I've been chugging along way past the contract expiration with my trusty Samsung Galaxy S III cell phone from Verizon. I don't even remember when I got it -- at least six years ago, possibly closer to eight. Battery life seems to be deteriorating, so I decided to treat myself to an "upgrade" for Christmas. I've been happy with Samsung, and I don't need a lot of extras, so I went with a Galaxy J3 Eclipse model. It arrived on Saturday (ordered on-line because none in stock at local Verizon stores), wouldn't activate, so on Sunday I took it to a Verizon storefront in a mall and had it activated.

I think I set a new record. Less than four hours after activating it I was on-line with Verizon, having them switch me back to my old phone. Trying to use the new one was like landing on another planet. It's difficult to believe that it's the same phone manufacturer, and a newer version of the same operating system. I hated it. And that was before I realized that my contacts transferred over, but my messages didn't!

So the new phone is now the old phone, and it goes back as soon as Verizon sends me a return shipping label. It's already boxed up and ready to go.

Bah, humbug.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: I grinched my own Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 08:45:34 PM »
Luddite.

It's what you get for trying to skip something like 5 generations of technology in one go.
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 10:25:57 PM »
Luddite.

It's what you get for trying to skip something like 5 generations of technology in one go.

True.

Since I'm sending the former new phone back, with any luck I'll skip several more generations before I venture into the next "upgrade." What an oxymoron. The term "upgrade" suggests that the new product should be better. How is it an "upgrade" if I can't see the screen well enough to read it, it doesn't have some standard apps that I actually use, and the menu screens are all reorganized so I can't find anything? It's the same argument I have with Microsoft and the new, ribbon menu structure on Office (starting with Office 2007). It's not an improvement -- it's impossible to find how to do anything. Since my work switched from Office 2003 to Office 2010 my productivity has tanked. It wouldn't have been difficult for Microsoft to have included a toggle to allow the use of the old menu structure but, Noooo ... they want to force us all to use the new menus. Yet, despite the fact that it creates massive losses of productivity and required hours and hours of retraining, they characterized it as an "upgrade."

Bah, humbug!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 11:40:39 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 11:55:21 PM »
"It's the same argument I have with Microsoft and the new, ribbon menu structure on Office (starting with Office 2007). It's not an improvement -- it's impossible to find how to do anything."

Well, see, you expected "improved."  All it improves is their bottom line.

Actually I think there is a toggle somewhere to revert to the classic style, but I lost where I found it.  That ribbon thing has rendered Win7 Paint almost inoperable.  Fortunately, there's a good old copy on my Dell with XP.  I have no idea what the guy who invented the ribbon system was smoking.

The irony is that even though the "ribbon" Win7 Paint has more functions, I can accomplish more with the old XP Paint.

It's like something I saw the other day:  "Spellchecker is my worst enema."

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 12:52:29 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 03:18:52 AM »

The irony is that even though the "ribbon" Win7 Paint has more functions, I can accomplish more with the old XP Paint.

The old (XP) Paint runs under Windows 7. I have both on my computer, and I use the old one for almost everything. I did once find something that was easy in the new paint that I couldn't do in the old one, but that was so long ago that I can't remember what it was.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 02:43:48 PM »
I'm scared to ask what yall are using Paint for.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 02:44:27 PM »
Painting, of course.

:duh:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »
I'm scared to ask what yall are using Paint for.

No kidding with all the free better stuff out there.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »
No kidding with all the free better stuff out there.

But it's different...

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 03:04:31 PM »
I'm betting this is your "old phone"
https://youtu.be/5MCrfXDiQWs
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »
But it's different...

Chris

and scary

Uranus is a gas giant.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 09:22:10 PM »
Not scary, just a time sink.  Someone remarked about skipping five generations of advances (Eeek) but let's look at it this way.

You buy some software a couple of years ago, it does what you want, you get fluent with it, you can get your stuff done without looking up help every time a function is needed, and you go ahead and "accomplish" for those couple of years.  In the meantime, the "latest and greatest" "new product = new profit" "cutting edge of technology" juggernaut proceeds in its unstoppable way.

You finally get to the point where you're seduced into a "five generations" ahead of  you package, and the "seduction" is due to the fact that the mfr no longer supports the old stuff and you have to buy the new stuff.  Yay, profit !

And instead of producing what you used to produce faciley and fluently, you have to stop to find out how to do what you used to do faciley and fluently.

Time.

Time sink.

See...  It's not a game I play.  It's a tool I use.

Terry  

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:43:21 PM by 230RN »

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 10:03:27 PM »
It's not a game I play.  It's a tool I use.

I like how you insinuated those of us not all torn up by software changes are just playing games or not using it for serious work.

See...I've worked in the IT field in one form or another for over 20 years.  Software changes are a part of life, so I don't get bitched up over them.  More importantly to me is the security issues around those apps or the ability to share data with users of older or newer versions. 

When MS introduced the Ribbon in Office, I was annoyed at it for about a week, but since it wasn't likely to go away, I adjusted and found out it was a net benefit to my workflow once I stopped clinging to the old menu system.  I actually started noticing and using features in Word, Excel, etc, due to the Ribbon.

If cosmetic changes in user applications are enough to have you clutching your pearls, you should see what changes come to the professionals in enterprise systems and the like. 

Chris

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 10:04:50 PM »
I'm betting this is your "old phone"
https://youtu.be/5MCrfXDiQWs

Not quite. It's a Samsung Galaxy S III.

But my first "portable" phone was a Radio Shack "bag phone" ...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 10:07:26 PM »

So was my wife's.  She managed to adapt to and learn how to use an iPhone 5 though.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 11:42:54 PM »
I like how you insinuated those of us not all torn up by software changes are just playing games or not using it for serious work.

See...I've worked in the IT field in one form or another for over 20 years.  Software changes are a part of life, so I don't get bitched up over them.  More importantly to me is the security issues around those apps or the ability to share data with users of older or newer versions.  

When MS introduced the Ribbon in Office, I was annoyed at it for about a week, but since it wasn't likely to go away, I adjusted and found out it was a net benefit to my workflow once I stopped clinging to the old menu system.  I actually started noticing and using features in Word, Excel, etc, due to the Ribbon.

If cosmetic changes in user applications are enough to have you clutching your pearls, you should see what changes come to the professionals in enterprise systems and the like.  

Chris

I also worked IT for close to 20 years before switching careers to something totally different.

Towards the end of my IT career I was doing autonomous enterprise silent installs for both Windows and Mac. You learned to not like anything for very long because as soon as you did a new version came out, it was usually a steep learning curve but the new functionality kicked ass.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 08:36:18 AM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 11:52:42 PM »

Us too! Good phone, lots of power.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 12:55:24 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 01:14:55 AM »

See...I've worked in the IT field in one form or another for over 20 years.  Software changes are a part of life, so I don't get bitched up over them.  More importantly to me is the security issues around those apps or the ability to share data with users of older or newer versions. 

When MS introduced the Ribbon in Office, I was annoyed at it for about a week, but since it wasn't likely to go away, I adjusted and found out it was a net benefit to my workflow once I stopped clinging to the old menu system.  I actually started noticing and using features in Word, Excel, etc, due to the Ribbon.

Chris
If I may make a smart-assed remark, may I gently suggest that folks who work in IT are not qualified to comment on this issue...

"I was annoyed at it for about a week... "

Yup.  Time.  Like I said.  Time.

Terry

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 08:10:53 AM »
If I may make a smart-assed remark, may I gently suggest that folks who work in IT are not qualified to comment on this issue...
Because IT practitioners are mages and have otherworldly grasp of technology.

Or...

We realized long ago not to get attached to a specific version or feature and just get on with out lives because change happens.  It's more productive to accept it and move on.  Time, remember?

"I was annoyed at it for about a week... "

Yup.  Time.  Like I said.  Time.

Terry

Nope.  That was the emotional response.  In your quote cherry-picking, you left out where I ultimately found it more productive than the previous menuing system.

Look, software is still evolving.  Change happens and will keep happening.  If you don't want change, don't upgrade.  Stick with what is comfortable for you.  It's not advisable from a security or interoperability perspective, but it'll reduce your stress levels.  If you're unhappy with commercial software, give open source a try.  Don't get too hung up on a feature or version there either because open source changes as well.

Typewriters are fundamentally unchanged for a few decades now.  You might consider that as an alternative (they are experiencing a bit of a renaissance). 

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 08:13:55 AM »
"Because IT practitioners are mages and have otherworldly grasp of technology."

Nah, you're just geeky bastards who can't communicate well with anything other than a motherboard and soldering iron.

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2017, 08:19:19 AM »
I also worked IT for close to 20 years before switching careers to something totally different.

Towards the end of my IT career I was doing autonomous enterprise silent installs for both Windows and Mac. You learned to like anything for very long because as soon as you did a new version came out, it was usually a steep learning curve but the new functionality kicked ass.

All my work these days is with the people side of IT services.  I build stuff with human beings and processes.  :)

Prior to last summer, I managed a security service.  One of the teams reporting to me was a systems development team.  The wailing and gnashing of teeth over systemd  was amusing and annoying (there were a few who did not handle change well), but since it was unavoidable, they eventually got on with it.  Having since moved onto service design*, they don't report to me any longer, but I understand they're all sorted out and comfortable with the new system.

*Getting out of Operations was the best thing I've done in a long time.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2017, 08:21:20 AM »
"Because IT practitioners are mages and have otherworldly grasp of technology."

Nah, you're just geeky bastards who can't communicate well with anything other than a motherboard and soldering iron.

:rofl:

I have transcended physical IT and now cast spells using people and processes.  Begone before I redefine your role and move it to a lower cost economy!

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2017, 08:30:15 AM »
I have transcended physical IT and now cast spells using people and processes.  Begone before I redefine your role and move it to a lower cost economy!

Chris

I'm betting that the only thing you've transcended is another notch in your belt given Michelle's normal Christmas food output...  =D
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.