Author Topic: I grinched my own Christmas  (Read 6127 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: I grinched my own Christmas
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »
:old:

Try being the end user with software changes when lives are literally on the line.  Oh sure, we may not like it, but you learn it and to work with it.

That is actually a legitimate complaint.  Changes like that go beyond mere inconvenience.  I hope they involve ATCs in the design and early testing long before those changes are rolled out.

Chris

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2017, 12:44:01 PM »
Well, I'm seeing a lot of heel-digging-in on both sides of the issue.  What I think Hawkmoon and I are saying is:

1. Software changes for the sake of "latest and greatest" marketing opportunites drive a lot of this "software upgrade" stuff, and many of us are suckered into defending it like a Ford owner defending his choice against a Chevy owner.

2.  Many, if not all, of these upgrades and enhanced functionalities can just as easily be accessed by the old methods (plain old drop-down lists) as by the new methods (the ribbon), but the main justification for the ribbon is... you guessed it... marketing.

3.  Many of us do not want to take a segment of time out of our work flow just to learn a new latest and greatest cutting edge system.  While the advantages of a new system may become apparent over time, I gotta get stuff out this week, not next week.

I think that's all that Hawkmoon (and I) were trying to convey.  Neither of us are involved in IT on a day to day basis, which is why I wisecracked about IT folks being disqualified from commenting on this thread.  So, yes, we end up being "five generations of 'advances'  behind," and we have to wonder why some of these "advances" (like the ribbon) were made.

Then, later, as Ben remarked, we quite legitimately distrust a few things... like the cloud, as he eloguently pointed out.

I like things on my machine, not "their" machines, so no matter what happens, I've still got "my" things.

So guess what?  My good ole Dell Vostro with XP and C, D, and E hard drives, has never been connected to the net.

And I'm happy with that.  So go, enjoy taking a week out of productivity to struggle with new, latest and greatest, cutting edge stuff.  Fine.  I'll catch  up to you sooner or later.  In the meantime, I'll keep cranking out stuff I have to crank out now.  Not in a week.

And that's a legitimate complaint, too.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
No, what Hawkmoon is saying is...

WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I DON'T LIKE WHEN THINGS ARE DIFFERENT!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »
Here you go, Terry. This should make you feel right at home...

:rofl: :rofl:

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2017, 12:54:37 PM »
^,^^. Oh, nonsense.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:11:46 PM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2017, 12:55:47 PM »
From your prompt, be sure to type *.*:* and press enter.

That will optimize your disk space...  :laugh:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2017, 12:56:24 PM »
Some times changes are made because hardware is changing, there is a known vulnerability or there compatibility issues with other products.

They can't customize every piece of software for each individual user.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2017, 01:00:05 PM »
"Some times changes are made because hardware is changing, there is a known vulnerability or there compatibility issues with other products.

They can't customize every piece of software for each individual user."

SCREW EVERYONE ELSE! It should be all about MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

:rofl:

And people call me a gumpy old fart...

And in case anyone is wondering, I THINK *.*:*, when paired with a three letter command prefix, was how you could delete all of your stored items on the old DEC PDP and VAX mainframes.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
So much for civilized discourse.

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2017, 01:03:47 PM »
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2017, 01:21:46 PM »
So much for civilized discourse.

Poking good natured fun is certainly civilized discourse.  ;/

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2017, 01:29:43 PM »
From your prompt, be sure to type *.*:* and press enter.

That will optimize your disk space...  :laugh:

Ok, that's a new one on me.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2017, 01:37:26 PM »
No, what Hawkmoon is saying is...

WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I DON'T LIKE WHEN THINGS ARE DIFFERENT!

Finally ... someone understands. (Moon in Taurus = antithetical to change)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2017, 01:40:51 PM »
Here you go, Terry. This should make you feel right at home...

:rofl: :rofl:

What's this new-fangled "MS-DOS Prompt"? Where's my MS-DOS? (Or, even better, DR-DOS 6.1?)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2017, 01:48:30 PM »
Some times changes are made because hardware is changing, there is a known vulnerability or there compatibility issues with other products.

They can't customize every piece of software for each individual user.

Changing Microsoft Office from drop-down menus to the ribbon didn't do anything to increase security or to enhance compatibility. There's a patch out there for Office 2003 (and, I think, Office 98) that allows the old suite to read and write the new .___x file formats. In reality, whatever you learn first is what's "intuitive," so people who start off using the ribbon will find it easy(er) because they don't have to un-learn how they did things before. It wouldn't have taken a gargantuan effort for Microsoft to have put both menu systems into Office 2007/2010/2013/2016. There are multiple add-ons out there that do the, for free. Instead, Microsoft wanted (and still wants) to force everyone to do it their way, resulting in massive amounts of lost time and retraining for all the workers out there who were proficient with the old menu structure but who can't find anything in the ribbon.

I wouldn't complain about the ribbon if they had left me the option to use the old menu structure. But they didn't -- so I still use Office 2003, even though on various computers I also have 2010, 2013, or 2016.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
Ok, that's a new one on me.

It was 30 years ago, but I THINK that "del *.*:*" was the DEC command line for PDP and VAX mainframes that would flush everything from your account.

As there was no restore command, you had to fill out a bunch of paperwork to have your files resurrected by computer center staff.

Every year a couple of people would get tricked into entering that command.

My junior or senior year they suspended a computer science student for a semester, and put him on academic probation for another, because he was taking advantage of people not locking their terminals when they ran to the restroom and was flushing their accounts, just because he was an ahole.

He did that to a dozen or so people before he got cocky and did it with witnesses around. They did some investigating on the accounts and discovered that he was always logged into a terminal in very near proximity to when the account was flushed.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2017, 01:54:26 PM »

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2017, 01:58:40 PM »
Eh, tech changes over time.

I'll agree that superficial changes in user interfaces can be annoying.  But, such is progress in changing, and yes, improving how people interact with computers. When mice were developed and the first GUI's written, that was a big change in workflow.  For example, before GUI's, text editing relied on keyboard input only, and schemes for command modes were used.  GUI's provided a different way to interact with commands.  Some people think it's not as fast, but most computer users prefer it.

GUI's continues to evolve. How people use computers changes. For instance, that many more touchscreens out there now.

Yes, that means that your skills become dated, and you'll have to dedicate some time to continuing education to keep up.  This is not unique to computers and software.  Consider an auto mechanics - knowledge from the 70's about carburetors is obsolete, and now a mechanic must understand EFI.  Moving into the future, they have to learn about GDI.

Even a field as stable as civil engineering requires continuing education of new materials and processes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »
"Instead, Microsoft wanted (and still wants) to force everyone to do it their way, resulting in massive amounts of lost time and retraining for all the workers out there who were proficient with the old menu structure but who can't find anything in the ribbon."

FFS, someone has to set a cohesive standard for how the system is going to operate, and since Microsoft actually owns and develops it, guess who's going to set the standard?

What's the alternative? Offering a million different versions of the same base software in hopes that one of them MIGHT be up to your liking?

Hello, this is Microsoft Support, what version do you have?

Uhm... I have Grumpy Old Man 1965.... :rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2017, 02:04:56 PM »
Hey, this might be up your alley, Hawk!

Microsoft is coming out with a new version called Sumerian 2018!

You use a sharpened reed stylus to press the characters into your monitor...

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2017, 02:17:08 PM »
At the risk of beating a dead horse, didn't the ribbon format come out 10 years ago?

In related news, I worked with an MD yesterday. 10 minutes into a 15 minute sermon on technology he was hearkening back to the days of a transcriptionist with a Selectric typewriter...

I didn't tell him that he started practicing medicine 10 years before I was born.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2017, 02:31:18 PM »
"At the risk of beating a dead horse, didn't the ribbon format come out 10 years ago?"

Yep. Office 2007.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2017, 03:53:05 PM »
This one went well beyond polite. Locked.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."