Author Topic: The Ongoing March of the Snowflakes.  (Read 9504 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Re: The Ongoing March of the Snowflakes.
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2018, 11:26:22 PM »
Students deeply hurt by criticism of their intolerance.

Speaker "scolded" by administrator.

“A few of our students were deeply hurt by some of your remarks (their words, not mine),” DeWolf continued. “Moving forward, there will be written guidelines for performers, which I hate to have to do.”

These idiots just can't help themselves. They will not stop.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2018, 11:34:04 PM »
Havng been dragged up and down many floors of Bloomingdale's, Gimbel's, Macy's, and other multistoried Department Stores by Me Sainted Mither, I'm very familiar with the old-fashioned elevator operator, where after a bunch of people got on board the operator would ask, "Floors, please."

This was throughout the forties and occasionally in the fifties.

Among the specific number answers, there was always a "Men's Wear, please," "Bedding, please." "Kitchens," and the like.

And not rarely, "Ladie's lingerie" or other feminine areas.

And occasionally, if the operator didn't quite stop with the elevator floor exactly even with the store's floor, he or she would say, "Watch your step, please."  Nowadays, with computer controlled self-service elevators, this is no longer necessary, and the joke really centers around the difference between "then" and "now," and the notion that it would be <ahem> "notable" for a man to ask for the ladies' lingerie floor.

So there were some "nostalgia" aspects attached to the remark, as well as the humorous sexual aspect of the requestor being either a *Not nice word for gay men*(*) or a real horndog.

Or maybe just a fashion or cheesecake photographer. =D  >:D

Worth a hoot but not a suit.

Then there was the other almost-inevitable joke to the elevator operator:  "Can you perform marriages?"

:rofl:

:old:

Terry, 230RN

* ETA: Contemporaneous term for "gayness."  Didn't know it was a naughty-naughty word nowadays. Word-equivalent for a bundle of sticks. :facepalm:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:06:28 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2018, 07:20:06 AM »
Bundle of sticks?  Huh.  Never heard that definition before now.   The only other definition I’ve heard is that it is a British term for cigarette.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2018, 08:34:53 AM »
Bundle of sticks?  Huh.  Never heard that definition before now.   The only other definition I’ve heard is that it is a British term for cigarette.

That's funny because that was the first definition I learned. Probably as I had a tendency to read older books, even as a child.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »
I thought everyone knew this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWI_ECKrBc
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2018, 09:21:32 AM »
I thought everyone knew this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWI_ECKrBc

When I was in High School, a Chinese classmate (immigrant who was learning the language) used to crack himself (and me) up calling guys "a bundle of sticks". To this day I occasionally still use that phrase when I want to be funny. Again, mostly just cracking myself up because so many people don't get it.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »
Well, this whole conversation has me right fagged.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2018, 10:16:38 AM »
Actually, I know a number of British women, and none of them would be upset by either of those expressions. I've heard them use them. However, I clearly should not use either in the presence of Blue Star Lizzard.
I have met women who wouldn't care about that expression also.  I have met others who would.  I think it depends on the background of the women involved.  Some women grew up with guys who used crude language and all sorts of stuff and they ignore it.  Others have not been around that or choose not to be around it and would take offense.  Most of the time, those women would just get upset and avoid having anything to do with that person ever again.  Sometimes, one will take it further.  That is why most men generally avoid comments like that in a professional setting.  That is also why I commented earlier that they guy seemed a bit dense. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2018, 12:55:27 PM »
<off topic>
Possible etymological relationship between sticks, a bundle of sticks, and cigarettes:  Cigarettes used to be called (and maybe still are) "cancer sticks."  Hence the term "fa g" for a cigarette?

Well, this whole conversation has me right fagged.

I haven't figured out what sort of relation there could be for that usage, as in "fagged out."

</off topic>

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.