Author Topic: Another "WTF Texas?" shooting by the cops  (Read 8758 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Another "WTF Texas?" shooting by the cops
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 02:54:43 PM »
I USED to be the one that gave the benefit of the doubt to the police.

These types of stories have emptied me of that good will.

I now have to work really hard to remember that these are probably not representative of the majority of police officers.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 03:03:07 PM »
Just got an update on my phone.  Interim Chief says he would have fired the officer, but he resigned first.  Second part, he says that the officer may be charged criminally.  Says he expects an update by tomorrow.

Guess we will see...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2019, 03:08:41 PM »
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/fort-worth-officer-who-shot-and-killed-atatiana-jefferson-in-her-home-has-resigned/
Fort Worth Officer Who Shot and Killed Atatiana Jefferson in Her Home Has Resigned

IMO, it sounds like he knows he screwed up.  We will see where this goes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2019, 03:47:42 PM »
I'm struggling to comprehend how a profeshunal can have a lesser sentence for a negligent discharge that kills a person than a deliberate decision that kills a person.

And in regards to liability, I'd see that self-admission of negligence as a means to strip the person of any qualified immunity or umbrella protection of a union's representation.

Then again, I've always struggled with the morality and logic of DUI laws.  Deliberately kill a person with a weapon and for a defined reason, and it's Murder 1.  But get drunk and kill someone while driving impaired, it's only manslaughter and pretty light sentence considering.  Anywhere from 2-10 years, IIRC, and someone above mentioned a $10,000 fine.  And get drunk and kill no one and drive all the way home only to get pulled over right before your driveway, you're looking at a $6000 fine here in AZ and like 6 months of jail time.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2019, 04:05:48 PM »
    The Fort Worth police chief says a white officer accused in the fatal shooting of a black woman in her home has resigned.

Interim Chief Ed Kraus said Monday that if the officer, Aaron Dean, had not resigned, he would have been fired.

Dean shot 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson through her window in the early hours of Saturday morning. Officers were called to her home when a concerned neighbor worried for her safety noticed her door was open.

Police have said the officer perceived a threat when he saw someone near the window and opened fire.

Earlier Monday, family lawyer Lee Merritt called for the officer to be fired and charged in Jefferson’s killing.

Fort Worth Officer Who Shot and Killed Atatiana Jefferson in Her Home Has Resigned
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/fort-worth-officer-who-shot-and-killed-atatiana-jefferson-in-her-home-has-resigned/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2019, 04:15:17 PM »
Except the Agency's release say that the Officer fired "when he perceived a threat".  If he's on record as saying that, then he meant to pull the trigger.  One doesn't point a firearm at a threat and hope for an ND.

I interpret the spokesperson's statement as a quote/paraphrase of the officer's initial statement, not as a statement of fact regarding what happened.

Also, no officer will ever admit he had a ND that killed someone.   Basically, the officer had an oops, but said there was a threat.  The police department spokesperson repeated that.  Now that we have more information, we see that the officer and the department are updating the statements.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2019, 04:27:59 PM »
Except the Agency's release say that the Officer fired "when he perceived a threat".  If he's on record as saying that, then he meant to pull the trigger.  One doesn't point a firearm at a threat and hope for an ND.

I think they are lying because they think it helps his case.  (it's just a little lie...)  FWPD needs to recuse themselves and turn the investigation over to the Texas Rangers.
"It's good, though..."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2019, 08:25:13 PM »
Per my phone. the ex-officer has been arrested and booked on a murder charge. (8:24 p.m. on 10/14).
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2019, 09:33:25 PM »
Per my phone. the ex-officer has been arrested and booked on a murder charge. (8:24 p.m. on 10/14).

The real question that will never be answered is: Did they charge and arrest him because it was the proper thing to do or because they are afraid of the riots protests if they didn't?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2019, 09:44:00 PM »
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – The Fort Worth Police officer who shot and killed a woman in her home early Saturday morning has been booked into the Tarrant County Jail and charged with murder.

Bond has not been set.

Former Fort Worth Police Officer Aaron Dean Charged With Murder
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/former-fort-worth-police-officer-aaron-dean-charged-with-murder/ar-AAIMcSq
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2019, 10:49:31 PM »
Forth Worth Police Department Chief Ed Kraus said Dean would have been terminated if he had not resigned, and is considered dishonorably discharged. Kraus also told reporters the U.S. Justice Department will examine the case for possible civil rights violations. Dean is white, and Jefferson was black.

What is this dishonorably discharged *expletive deleted*it?  You ain’t military.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 09:22:52 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/15/fort-worth-woman-killed-by-officer-heard-noises-outside-drew-gun-nephew-told-authorities/

The nephew of the 28-year-old black woman fatally shot in her home by a white Fort Worth police officer over the weekend said his aunt drew a gun after hearing noises outside her house, according to an arrest warrant affidavit for the officer released Tuesday.

The details in the affidavit add weight to earlier accounts of the shooting from family members and city officials who said Atatiana Jefferson was trying to protect herself and the 8-year-old boy from what she thought was an intruder when she was killed early Saturday. The officer who shot Jefferson, Aaron Dean, resigned and was charged with murder on Monday.

According to the affidavit, Jefferson’s nephew told a forensic interviewer that he and his aunt were playing video games in a back bedroom when Jefferson “heard noises coming from outside” and “took her handgun from her purse.”
The boy told the interviewer that Jefferson “raised her handgun, pointed it toward the window” and “was shot and fell to the ground,” according to the affidavit. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »
From the same article.  I agree. 
On Monday, Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price told people to disregard the weapon. “The gun is irrelevant,” Price said in a news conference. Jefferson “was in her own home caring for an 8-year-old nephew.”

-----------
Watching the body cam video again, I guess it didn't occur to me the first time how quickly the shooting happened after the officer went through the back gate.  Almost as soon as he went through the back gate, he shined his flashlight in the window and saw the woman.  And his first instinct was not to back off, but to draw his gun and start issuing commands (through the window?).  I also assumed the second officer was with him, but maybe not.  I am not sure where the second officer was at the time of the shooting. 

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 09:31:14 AM »
Well, that could change things.  I'm not sure how reliable an 8 year old witness is, though.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 09:45:30 AM »
Well, that could change things.  I'm not sure how reliable an 8 year old witness is, though.
I am sure it will be used by the defense.  Can the officer say he had a right to be in her backyard looking around?  Especially when he is not readily identifiable as a police officer? 

Actually, I kind of hope they bring that up.  It would be interesting to see how the courts deal with it.  Does a "welfare check" give the officer the right to trespass without identifying themselves?  Or to use lethal force when they perceive a threat while doing so?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2019, 09:45:53 AM »
I don't see that it changes things at all. As the mayor said, she was in her own home and she had every right to be armed. Skulking around the back yard of a private residence never used to be S.O.P. for conducting a welfare check, unless the officer(s) had already knocked on the front door and got no response. In any event, the bodycam video tells the tale. He did NOT identify himself as a police officer (although who in their right mind would automatically believe an unidentified voice at 02:30 in the morning anyway?), and there was no time for her to react between his verbal command and his shot.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2019, 10:01:32 AM »
Fly320s:

Reasonable doubt.  But I fully expect the other relatives will press the kid to change the story to emphasize the officer's culpability.

"Are you sure you saw her raise the gun?  Absolutely positive?  You could be set for life and never have to work, ever, if she didn't.  Now (use nephew's name), it couldn't be what you saw was her just going to scratch her nose, right?"

Pressure along those lines, "mind doctoring" a kid...

But as a former 8-year-old, I think the kid would tell the truth "right off the bat" if he weren't guilty about something himself.

I think that's what Terry would have done, back in 1947AD. =D

Terry
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:35:34 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 10:07:35 AM »
If the victim pointed a gun at the cop (not knowing he was a cop, one would assume) that changes a lot.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2019, 10:31:58 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/15/fort-worth-woman-killed-by-officer-heard-noises-outside-drew-gun-nephew-told-authorities/

Doesn't change my thoughts at all. She was in her home and responding rationally to a perceived threat.

The police officer was in the wrong COMPLETELY in this instance and deserves to be in jail for a very long time. (Since we won't give murder the proper punishment.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2019, 11:27:30 AM »
If the victim pointed a gun at the cop (not knowing he was a cop, one would assume) that changes a lot.
In this case, I don't think it does, but I figure some would and it will be interesting to see how this is dealt with in court.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 11:52:00 AM »

How? Why?

The cop was where he had no right to be. The woman was where she had every right to be.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 11:52:50 AM »
I’ve done welfare checks you don’t skulk around the backyard like a prowler
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
IMO, saying the the woman having a gun changes things ALMOST gets to the point that burglars could claim self defense when they break in or are trespassing.  As stated by others, the officer didn't have any reason to go around to the back yard.  The legal question of whether he had a right to be back there is something that would be interesting for the court to deal with.  This wasn't a search warrant or a hot pursuit.  It was a welfare check.    

That doesn't even get to the odd tactic of shouting commands to someone on the other side of a closed window instead of just moving to the side or heading back to the front door.  If those windows were double pane glass, she might not even be able to hear him.  

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2019, 06:04:04 PM »
Her pointing a gun at the cop may explain why he shot (assuming it was even intentional), but it in no way justifies it.

If he had clearly identified himself as a police officer first maybe, but skulking around the back yard then yelling and shooting at the same time doesn’t a good shoot make in my book.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2019, 06:35:48 PM »
I’ve done welfare checks you don’t skulk around the backyard like a prowler

I'm guessing it depends on department SOPs.  Are cops authorized to enter a backyard during a non-criminal investigation?