Author Topic: Guess what's racist/white supremacy now  (Read 62028 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Guess what's racist/white supremacy now
« Reply #225 on: November 19, 2021, 12:48:30 AM »
An event where a black Republican speaker shares a stage with D Trump Jr is also racist, apparently.

http://conservativeangle.com/conservative-pac-cancels-event-with-trump-jr-after-jpmorgan-chase-subsidiary-cuts-ties-with-group-then-backpedals/

I like the fact that our state treasurer looks, talks, and dresses like Roy, from The Office.  :rofl:

https://youtu.be/uEUFCo2AiU0
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2021, 09:37:56 AM »
I guess it's just as well to put this here vs starting a new thread.

The Salvation Army has gone woke for their biggest donation period of the year, which I suspect will now be much smaller. They have put out a new "racism guide". It's apparently aimed at the SA itself, versus the people who donate to them, but you would think they would have learned a lesson from the big corporations who do this, demanding their white employees apologize for being white. Once it gets out they do this internally, a lot of people will be turned off by the organization, and I would submit that the vast majority of dollars dropped in the holiday kettles come from white bread white people. Progressive white people hate the SA, and I think the minority contributions are a pretty small percentage.

I used to write a big check to the SA every Thanksgiving (actually credit card on their website), but haven't done so for a few years now because I already didn't like how they seemed to have started concentrating the general donation funds to substance abuse. Not to be callous, but I prefer my charity money go to people who are in dire straights through no fault of their own. I have still been dropping C-notes in the local kettles during the holidays, but I think I'm going to cut that off too.

I've already been switching my contributions to local charities, and I think now I will be doing that 100%. I can choose organizations for which I can get on the ground data, and know the funds are going to good deeds by people who don't cave to loudmouths on social media.

It's too bad. I have always liked that the SA used their money much more efficiently than organizations like the Red Cross, who spend half their donations on donor parties.

https://justthenews.com/nation/hold-fri-salvation-army-once-known-straightforward-seasonal-charity-caves-blm-ideology?utm_medium=social_media&utm_source=twitter_social_icon&utm_campaign=social_icons
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2021, 10:20:12 AM »
( ^ Heh, heh.  Maybe you should have started a new thread.  A possibly hot-button, triggering, subject.)

Quite a while ago, after being disgusted with the abuses of most of the large charities, I adopted a policy of finding my own (local) needy folks and contributing to my church with instructions to the Deacon to advance that amount to the folks I had found on my own.  This had the dual benefit of maintaining my anonymity and "making points" for the Church.

The one exception to this was at work where the United Fund campaign was guilting everybody into 100% departmental contributions, and I found among the listed United Fund charities one I felt was "reliable" so I could designate them as the recipient.

So I'd throw in a couple of bucks with that designation to satisfy the 100% departmental United Fund bullshit.

Nowadays I severely limit any contributions, especially to foreign charities.  This, on the theory that they should solve their own damned problems; we have our own damned problems to worry about.

Gettin' a little tougher about charities in my old age and dotage, I am, I am.

Terry, 230RN

Correction: United Fund should be United Way.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 11:42:03 AM by 230RN »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2021, 10:27:03 AM »
I've not seen anything like that from my local chapter of The Salvation Army.  There's nothing about it on their web site...

I guess I will need to ask them about it before renewing the monthly checks I have my bank send them for another year (sent to the local office, not their corporate office)
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #229 on: November 26, 2021, 10:33:15 AM »
The one exception to this was at work where the United Fund campaign was guilting everybody into 100% departmental contributions, and I found among the listed United Fund charities one I felt was "reliable" so I could designate them as the recipient.

So I'd throw in a couple of bucks with that designation to satisfy the 100% departmental United Fund bullshit.

When I was new to the company, I let them bully me into giving $5 to the United Way campaign so they could claim 100% participation.  And I hated myself afterwards for allowing myself to be taken advantage of like that.  (the company wanted us to put-up the money so they could claim they donated it; I assume not for tax purposes but for PR)  I never donated to United Way again.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #230 on: November 26, 2021, 10:42:14 AM »
I've not seen anything like that from my local chapter of The Salvation Army.  There's nothing about it on their web site...

I guess I will need to ask them about it before renewing the monthly checks I have my bank send them for another year (sent to the local office, not their corporate office)

This is the internal document:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cache.salvationarmy.org/e0c074e3-39db-4b09-a6ea-aa5bdb6ecaa6_Let%2527s%2520Talk%2520About...%2520Racism%2520COMPLETE%2520SET.pdf

It could very well be that local chapters will ignore the "corporate" policy, much like my local Costco seems to ignore their corporate "no guns" policy. If I read or hear something from the local SA on this, I might change my mind about the kettles, but I'm still sticking to "no money to the national site" for now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #231 on: November 26, 2021, 11:17:29 AM »
When I was new to the company, I let them bully me into giving $5 to the United Way campaign so they could claim 100% participation.  And I hated myself afterwards for allowing myself to be taken advantage of like that.  (the company wanted us to put-up the money so they could claim they donated it; I assume not for tax purposes but for PR)  I never donated to United Way again.
This is eerily similar to my experience when I first joined the workforce.

. . . I found among the listed United Fund charities one I felt was "reliable" so I could designate them as the recipient.

Designating your donation to go to a specific UW charity doesn't mean much. If UW was going to give Charity A $100, and you designated your $10 donation to go to A  . . . . well, YOUR money will go there, but they'll shift $10 of the original $100 somewhere else. So A gets the same $100 planned before you donated your money.

Sad to hear the Salvation Army is going woke. My Dad and two uncles on my Mom's side of the family - all WW2 vets - all had good things to say about the SA. On the flip side, all three of them had difficulty talking about the Red Cross without a lot of profanity.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #232 on: November 26, 2021, 06:49:29 PM »
This is the internal document:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cache.salvationarmy.org/e0c074e3-39db-4b09-a6ea-aa5bdb6ecaa6_Let%2527s%2520Talk%2520About...%2520Racism%2520COMPLETE%2520SET.pdf

It could very well be that local chapters will ignore the "corporate" policy, much like my local Costco seems to ignore their corporate "no guns" policy. If I read or hear something from the local SA on this, I might change my mind about the kettles, but I'm still sticking to "no money to the national site" for now.

I saw a great comment on breitbart:
Quote from: FiaT__LuX
I guess what they're saying is... Instead of putting money in those buckets this year - drop in a little note that says 'I'm Sorry'.

"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #233 on: November 27, 2021, 09:09:27 AM »
I listened to some debate this morning that might have me moderating my thoughts on the SA and possibly still putting money in a local kettle, It does seem something happened at their national level that made local chapters unhappy regarding the blowback from this. It was suggested (no proof) that national SA might have, like so many corporations and large organizations, hired a "diversity and inclusion" executive that needed something to do.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #234 on: November 27, 2021, 11:16:49 AM »
I listened to some debate this morning that might have me moderating my thoughts on the SA and possibly still putting money in a local kettle, It does seem something happened at their national level that made local chapters unhappy regarding the blowback from this. It was suggested (no proof) that national SA might have, like so many corporations and large organizations, hired a "diversity and inclusion" executive that needed something to do.

Until  the national un-hires their "diversity and inclusion" executive, the SA is off my list.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." The obvious corollary is, "If you're part of the problem, you're not part of the solution."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #235 on: November 27, 2021, 02:37:12 PM »
. . . It was suggested (no proof) that national SA might have, like so many corporations and large organizations, hired a "diversity and inclusion" executive that needed something to do.
Reminds me of when the local rag still had a website where people could debate one another and the paper's editorial writers. One weekend the topic was how to save money in local schools - I wrote a short note the gist of which was concentrate on academics - and start by firing every employee who had the word "diversity" as part of their job title or job description. To the horror of staffers, this opinion gained several times more support than the contrary opinion, which was that we needed more diversity pros.

Because of this and many, many other instances where the readership and editorial staff parted ways, the paper discontinued their forums.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #236 on: November 28, 2021, 08:49:57 AM »
HankB said,

"Because of this and many, many other instances where the readership and editorial staff parted ways, the paper discontinued their forums."

The very same thing happened with The Rocky Mountin News in Denver maybe 15 years ago. I guess the publishers forgot that while there is a Freedom of the press, there's also a freedom of the public.

I remember back in New York every once in a while the New York Daily News would  have a letter to the editor that either started or ended with "I'll bet you don't publish this."

I always thought that was funny and I wondered how many "I'll bet you don't publish this" letters they actually got.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2021, 10:45:01 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #238 on: December 01, 2021, 09:14:54 AM »
"To the horror of staffers, this opinion gained several times more support than the contrary opinion, which was that we needed more diversity pros. "

Sort of like in the old Soviet Union.

What we need are MORE political commissars!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #239 on: December 02, 2021, 05:47:27 PM »
Farmer's markets and food charities

She took particular aim at farmers markets as being too white. She uses a quote from Rachel Slocum (“a preeminent researcher on whiteness and food”) as a jumping-off point.

“What that does is it erases the past and present of race and agriculture. What whiteness also does is ‘mobilizes funding to predominantly white organizations who then direct programming at nonwhite beneficiaries,’” she said. “And we’ll talk about that a little bit more when we talk about communities that can’t take care of themselves. Also, what this does is it creates inviting spaces for white people. Then program directors or farmers market directors are scrambling because they’re trying to add diversity to a white space. So what whiteness does is center whiteness.”

Event titled ‘Examining Whiteness in Food Systems’ finds white supremacy in farmers’ markets and food charities
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/12/02/event-titled-examining-whiteness-in-food-systems-finds-white-supremacy-in-farmers-markets-and-food-charities/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #240 on: December 02, 2021, 05:59:16 PM »

Event titled ‘Examining Whiteness in Food Systems’ finds white supremacy in farmers’ markets and food charities
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/12/02/event-titled-examining-whiteness-in-food-systems-finds-white-supremacy-in-farmers-markets-and-food-charities/

I just a few days ago gave a big chunk of change to the Idaho Food Bank, and lo and behold, once again it appears that I'm a racist. I should just keep my money and buy stuff for me if every time I give to a charity I'm a white devil for doing so.

Also, the Farmer's Markets back in Santa Barbara were heavily Mexican in a city known for its rich white liberals.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #241 on: December 03, 2021, 01:38:32 AM »
Funny how whiteness is always a bad thing for these "anti-racists." It's almost like maybe they prejudge a whole group of people based on their skin color.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #242 on: December 03, 2021, 11:41:20 AM »
I just a few days ago gave a big chunk of change to the Idaho Food Bank, and lo and behold, once again it appears that I'm a racist. I should just keep my money and buy stuff for me if every time I give to a charity I'm a white devil for doing so.

Also, the Farmer's Markets back in Santa Barbara were heavily Mexican in a city known for its rich white liberals.
I would probably give good odds that those people don't give much to charity.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #243 on: December 03, 2021, 12:26:36 PM »
I would probably give good odds that those people don't give much to charity.

Giving to charity is racist.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #244 on: December 03, 2021, 05:05:52 PM »

I don't know - this farmer's market seems to have plenty of VOCs (Veggies Of Color)

Oh wait, I know - it's the DARKER SKINNED veggies that are HANGING - as if they'd been LYNCHED!!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #245 on: December 03, 2021, 05:11:48 PM »
I don't know - this farmer's market seems to have plenty of VOCs (Veggies Of Color)

Oh wait, I know - it's the DARKER SKINNED veggies that are HANGING - as if they'd been LYNCHED!!

And they have FRUITS too!  (that's homophobic)   :rofl:
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #246 on: December 03, 2021, 05:21:04 PM »

White people eat VOCs so RACIST!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #247 on: December 03, 2021, 05:31:48 PM »
VOC's are bad.  Just ask the EPA.  They regulate them pretty hard.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #248 on: December 03, 2021, 08:52:10 PM »
And they have FRUITS too!  (that's homophobic)   :rofl:
I can't tell . . . are there any nuts being sold?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #249 on: February 09, 2022, 07:01:11 PM »
The yellow thumbs-up emoji

NPR: Academics argue white people using the yellow thumbs-up emoji ‘signals a lack of awareness about white privilege’
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/02/09/npr-academics-argue-white-people-using-the-yellow-thumbs-up-emoji-signals-a-lack-of-awareness-about-white-privilege/
- Calvin and Hobbes