Author Topic: I now has a serious pressure washer  (Read 637 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
I now has a serious pressure washer
« on: December 07, 2022, 03:59:23 PM »
I started out with an electric pressure washer. Did ok but not as good as I had hoped, they just don’t get much pressure.
Got a gas powered subaru from Costco a few years ago that I like a lot.
Son in law lives 2000 miles away but bought some stuff on a family estate sale this summer. He transported 2 vehicles but left behind a pressure washer in some distant relative’s garage. He was going to just abandon it but the old guy wanted it out of his garage so yesterday I picked it up.
Holy crap it’s about 400 pounds on wheels. Landa commercial 2HP gold series HOT water fueled by kerosene or diesel. I need to come up with a 20 amp outlet or adapter. Hopefully everything works. New would be about $4k. Looks to be in good shape under the dirt. I tipped it and about 1/4 cup of antifreeze ran out which means the coil is probably ok or undamaged by freezing. ($1k for a new coil)
If I clean it up and get it crankin I think it’s mine. If I don’t say anything SIL will forget about it anyway.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 05:23:47 PM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: I now has a serious pressure washer
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 04:39:26 PM »
Sounds like you can almost cut steel with that thing.

I was surprised to learn they cut steel plate with ultra-high pressure water jets. 

You realize, of course, that expressing your hope that SIL will forget about it just about guarantees that he will not.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 06:09:59 AM by 230RN »

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 05:29:26 PM »
I've got a manual coming for it. It has soap/detergent injector with apparently adjustable pressure at the wand.
I know nothing about the diesel heating system yet. parts are available ie valves and seals etc.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 08:17:20 PM »
If the hot water heater gets hot it makes degreasing and cleaning so much easier.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 10:05:31 PM »
Cleaning an M60 is a LOT easier if you are in the armory and are using live steam... Immediately soak it with oil afterward.

Blog under construction

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 05:02:01 AM »
Not many M60s around these days. Sadly.
It would be handy next time I blow a hydraulic line on the tractor.
There is a strange piece of hose and fittings I finally figured out. Water hose on one end and air chuck on the other. Oh I get it! Attach and use air compressor to clear the pump and coil.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 06:12:24 AM »
Not many M60s around these days. Sadly.
It would be handy next time I blow a hydraulic line on the tractor.
There is a strange piece of hose and fittings I finally figured out. Water hose on one end and air chuck on the other. Oh I get it! Attach and use air compressor to clear the pump and coil.

We clean all machines with water cannon and pressure washer before we bring them in the shop so much easier to work on a clean machine
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 10:02:16 AM »
I’ll get back to work on it this weekend.
Good news on the electric. I somehow forgot that 27 years ago I wired 3 walls of my garage/shop with a 20amp GFCI duplex first and then lined off with standard outlets downstream. 20amp breakers and 12-2G throughout. I’m going to replace a the 2 outlets closest to the overhead doors with duplex 20s. There is an online GFCI in the power cord for the beast also.
Diesel heating system is pretty simple from what I see so far. There is a pump and feeder line and glow plug/igniter. Should have the complete paper manual next week. Wasn’t able to find a pdf online. The date on the unit ilooks to be 1995. Everything seems to be made in USA and in much better condition under the dirt than I would have guessed.
I’m going to do a little touch up on paint and rust but even that is minimal.
Will see how the valves and seals on the pump are. Electric 2HP motor should be fine with a couple drops of oil. It’s pretty easy to get to everything with the covers off.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2022, 03:37:20 PM »
Sounds like an electric version of a Hotsy pressure washer.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 10:35:47 AM »
Got the manual and I’ve been slowly getting closer to working condition.
Flushed pump and coil, a lot of antifreeze and no crud or corrosion.
Pump powers up with adequate pressure but water leaks at the pump seems to indicate a packing failure but repair kits are available. The unloader valve looks rough and might need to be replaced.
Going to drain the diesel and change filter and try firing up after I get the pump rebuilt. Even with new pump oil and new nozzle tips and a couple fittings I’m still under $60 invested so far.
Should have come with a steam wand which is missing. I might shop that later.
This thing keeps looking better and better. I’m told it is $4000-4500 new and easily worth $2000 if I get it in working condition.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 02:11:55 PM by Kingcreek »

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 01:53:52 PM »
We had a similar unit at trade school and that puppy would CLEAN an engine/engine bay! Ya DID have to be careful what ya pointed it at though.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2023, 04:28:44 PM »
Well here I am still working on this beast.
Had a leak from the pump so I ordered a seal kit. Tear down and installed. Leaks even worse.
Tear down again revealed a bad piston in a spot I couldn’t see before. Looking for piston parts was getting me nowhere so I bought a brand new shiney eye-talion pump with a 5 year warranty. Installed but not yet tested.
Now for my rant on amateurs. Ok so I come from a long line of amateurs, but when you use Teflon tape to seal fittings, more is not better. And if you wrap it in the right direction you only need about 1.5 turns around the threads. 10-12” of tape on a 1/2” MPT is too much, and if you wrap most of the 12 joints the wrong way it just bunches up at the shoulder.
I redid every fitting and I think it was 12 pipe joints and 3 compression flanges.
Tomorrow I will test for pressure and leaks. Then I will flush the fuel tank and blow the fuel lines and test the fuel pump and igniters.
If everything works as good as it looks I’ll be happy. I’m $520 into a $2k pressure washer (good used price- about $4300 new). I’ll either keep it or sell it and split the net gain with my son in law.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 04:30:57 PM »
Well here I am still working on this beast.
Had a leak from the pump so I ordered a seal kit. Tear down and installed. Leaks even worse.
Tear down again revealed a bad piston in a spot I couldn’t see before. Looking for piston parts was getting me nowhere so I bought a brand new shiney eye-talion pump with a 5 year warranty. Installed but not yet tested.
Now for my rant on amateurs. Ok so I come from a long line of amateurs, but when you use Teflon tape to seal fittings, more is not better. And if you wrap it in the right direction you only need about 1.5 turns around the threads. 10-12” of tape on a 1/2” MPT is too much, and if you wrap most of the 12 joints the wrong way it just bunches up at the shoulder.
I redid every fitting and I think it was 12 pipe joints and 3 compression flanges.
Tomorrow I will test for pressure and leaks. Then I will flush the fuel tank and blow the fuel lines and test the fuel pump and igniters.
If everything works as good as it looks I’ll be happy. I’m $520 into a $2k pressure washer (good used price- about $4300 new). I’ll either keep it or sell it and split the net gain with my son in law.

Pet peeve: Teflon tape on flare fittings

Post some pics when you get it done!  =)

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 05:12:09 PM »
Pet peeve: Teflon tape on flare fittings

Post some pics when you get it done!  =)
At least there wasn’t any tape on the flared fittings.
Posting pics here has been a problem for me. If I try to post from my iPhone I get an error message that the file is not a compatible type. If I send it to my laptop and save it as a jpg I get a different error.