Author Topic: Zero Bail Advocacy Org Shuts Down After Being Sued  (Read 1142 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Zero Bail Advocacy Org Shuts Down After Being Sued
« on: December 30, 2022, 03:52:15 PM »
Zero Bail Advocacy Org Shuts Down After Being Sued for Springing a Felon Who Then Shot a Man 11 Times
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/zero-bail-advocacy-org-shuts-down-after-being-sued-for-springing-a-felon-who-then-shot-a-man-11-times/

There isn't a lot of information in the link. This one is a little better.

Bail group shuts down after being sued for helping release serial offender who shot waiter
https://nypost.com/2022/12/26/bail-group-shuts-down-amid-lawsuit-for-helping-release-serial-offender/

A California bail reform group backed by A-list celebrities has shut down its operation in Las Vegas after being sued for releasing a serial criminal who less than a week later tried to murder a waiter there.

I am curious if the court will hold the group liable.  There are likely a lot of lawyers around the country keeping an eye on this.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Zero Bail Advocacy Org Shuts Down After Being Sued
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 03:56:39 PM »
Zero Bail Advocacy Org Shuts Down After Being Sued for Springing a Felon Who Then Shot a Man 11 Times

Were they really not expecting that to happen? Or was the lawsuit just the signal the grift had turned sour?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 04:04:59 PM »
Were they really not expecting that to happen? Or was the lawsuit just the signal the grift had turned sour?

That, and they achieved their purpose of causing more chaos.  On to the next civilization destroying task for them.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 04:22:03 PM »
Safe bet that one incident is just the tip of the iceberg
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 05:30:56 PM »

There have been numerous incidents of zero bail/catch and release violent offenders reoffending and even killing people after being released on "bail".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2022, 08:28:06 AM »
I love how the one ahole from the "FREE THE SCUM!" project calls it a "tragedy."

No, ahole, it's not a tragedy, it was a *expletive deleted*ing inevitability. The guy who was shot should be suing each and every contributor and employee of that organization.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 08:43:17 AM »
IMO, the biggest problem outside of these groups is jurisdictions passing no-cash-bail laws that do it without contributions. 

I am all for not incarcerating people without a trial, but I would prefer they get the trial done faster, not jail people for months/years waiting.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2022, 09:20:34 AM »
The murder rate has been, um, interesting since the orgy of Floyd related rioting, defunding and demoralizing the police, and deciding it is racist to put criminals in jail. 

The numbers are current to the beginning of 2022.  Scroll the right to see the mountain.  I wonder what they are like now?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 10:07:41 AM »
The murder rate has been, um, interesting since the orgy of Floyd related rioting, defunding and demoralizing the police, and deciding it is racist to put criminals in jail. 

The numbers are current to the beginning of 2022.  Scroll the right to see the mountain.  I wonder what they are like now?

It seems White people are all-weather criminals.  :cool:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 10:14:40 AM »
This kind of outcome is what the zero bail movement is all about.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2022, 11:02:35 AM »
The left looks at that and sees a lack of equity and instead of asking themselves what can be done to bring the black line down demands what are you going to do to make the chart more equitable.
Right after they file a complaint White is capitalized
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 11:23:22 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2022, 12:00:05 PM »
That graph is racist.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2022, 02:19:37 PM »
^^ What WLJ said...

Also, Pb:

"The murder rate has been, um, interesting since the orgy of Floyd related rioting, defunding and demoralizing the police, and deciding it is racist to put criminals in jail."

It's irked me for decades that the whole "Protected Class" area of legislation is based on mere statistical evidence: "more green polka-dot people are in jail (or whatever parameter is chosen)  than blue polka-dot people," so obviously we have to give green polka-dot people enormous breaks as a "Protected Class."

That's bothered me no end for decades as just about the worst form of intellectual dishonesty.

But what's even worse is catering to that intellectual dishonesty.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2022, 04:53:51 PM »
Sad to see.  Just proves that all those changes in the law and parole don't accomplish what they claim.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2023, 07:52:31 AM »
Meanwhile in IL

Illinois' Safety, Accountability, Fairness and Equity-Today (SAFE-T) Act, which went into effect Jan. 1, overhauled Illinois' justice system with provisions like limiting when defendants can be deemed flight risks and allowing defendants under electronic monitoring to leave home for 48 hours before they can be charged with escape. It was also supposed to eliminate cash bail, but the state's Supreme Court stayed that portion hours before the law was set to take effect.

How long before the dems enact a workaround?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/americas-most-dangerous-law-goes-into-effect

- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2023, 10:21:36 AM »
Meanwhile in IL

It's about time for IL and WI to get together and shove Milwaukee and Chicago into the lake.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2023, 10:32:44 AM »
It's about time for IL and WI to get together and shove Milwaukee and Chicago into the lake.

My understanding is that the court that stayed the SAFE-T act is a pretty liberal court, so it might be more than conservatives getting sick of big city politics running those states.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2023, 10:40:36 AM »

Left side,  y axis, reads "Homicide Victimizations".
So does the graph illustrate the race of the murderers or the race of the murdered?
7-11 was a part time job.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2023, 10:51:01 AM »
Left side,  y axis, reads "Homicide Victimizations".
So does the graph illustrate the race of the murderers or the race of the murdered?
Victims, however most murders are intra-racial so it roughly illustrates the same thing.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2023, 10:54:46 AM »
Did they count the 9/11 victims in that? That's my guess...

And... We had a guy who they bonded out here in STL, and the first thing he did was go whack the complainant...
Blog under construction

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2023, 11:10:05 AM »
Did they count the 9/11 victims in that? That's my guess...

Yes.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2023, 11:36:33 AM »
Yes.
Then the graph would imply that there were far more blacks than whites victimized in September 2001, no? Unconfuse me, somebody. "Seems strange for attacks on Manhattan office buildings and the Pentagon," he said, non-racistally.  (The peaks seem to occur right at mid-September on the abscissa for 2001.)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2023, 11:37:30 AM »

There are laws against releasing that much toxic effluent into a lake.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2023, 12:57:02 PM »
Here in STL, police have backed off. WAY off. They'll show up to do the paperwork and take the pictures. If there's something in progress, they do hustle. But if Sumdood is socmobbing and gets capped by Othadood, that doesn't have a lot of priority.

They no longer pull cars over for even some fairly major infractions. Especially if Sumdood, Othadood, Thatguy and Loveoris are obvious passengers...

They also don't worry a lot about people walking into their front  yards and brandishing at carloads of said passengers, with intent of encouraging them to go steal a car off a different street.
Blog under construction