Author Topic: Titanic tourist sub goes missing  (Read 16002 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Titanic tourist sub goes missing
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2023, 03:39:36 PM »
^^^ I concur.

The real mystery is why an expert like Nargeolet was willing to go down in the thing.

Add in a generous serving of hubris.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q9JXAF2uFU
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2023, 03:39:45 PM »
^^^ I concur.

The real mystery is why an expert like Nargeolet was willing to go down in the thing.

Complacency, it's killed many a great person.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2023, 03:41:29 PM »
Can't help but be reminded of this except in this case the builder lived and in fact somehow got rich. But otherwise a very similar story of hubris getting people killed.
How he got experienced test pilots to get into that thing not once but twice is beyond me.

Today we're looking at the Christmas Bullet, one of the most notorious planes every built. It's creator, Dr. William Whitney Christmas, claimed it was the safest and most easy to fly aircraft, when it fact it was a complete deathtrap. Both planes that were built crashed on their first flights, killing both pilots in the process.

Perhaps The Worst Plane Ever Built? | The Christmas Bullet [Aircraft Overview #54]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6akp_kxHJg
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 04:38:31 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #203 on: June 22, 2023, 03:45:56 PM »
The only other carbon fiber pressure vessel I can recall failing in a spectacularly public way is SpaceX's AMOS-6 static fire, where the COPV on the second stage evidently had a design defect where liquid oxygen could embed between the fibers of the CF overwrap, and the shift/flex of the COPV as it reacted to the insanely hot pressurized helium inside it versus the insanely cold LOX all around it allowed for a carbon-oxygen energetic event which cascaded into an explosion, destroying the rocket and its payload during the static fire.

Are there any other high profile CF structure failures that would give indication to the mechanism of failure here?

I'm curious exactly what these people experienced at the point of failure.  Was it like being inside a large grenade, shredded before even knowing it?  Cut in half by a high pressure water jet as a crack spread across the hull?  Some other method?

Grizzly speculation, but I can't get it out of my mind.  Mostly I'm just hoping that they didn't slowly fill with water and drown.  Seems like one of the worst ways to go, in my mind.  Clawing at each other for the final air pocket in the dark.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #204 on: June 22, 2023, 03:49:25 PM »

Grizzly speculation, but I can't get it out of my mind.  Mostly I'm just hoping that they didn't slowly fill with water and drown.  Seems like one of the worst ways to go, in my mind.  Clawing at each other for the final air pocket in the dark.

Sub would likely to be in one piece if it was the case that the inside and outside pressures slowly equalized. No, they were more than likely gone, lights out so to speak, before their brains could even start to register something was amiss
- Calvin and Hobbes

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2023, 03:53:22 PM »
The only other carbon fiber pressure vessel I can recall failing in a spectacularly public way is SpaceX's AMOS-6 static fire, where the COPV on the second stage evidently had a design defect where liquid oxygen could embed between the fibers of the CF overwrap, and the shift/flex of the COPV as it reacted to the insanely hot pressurized helium inside it versus the insanely cold LOX all around it allowed for a carbon-oxygen energetic event which cascaded into an explosion, destroying the rocket and its payload during the static fire.

Are there any other high profile CF structure failures that would give indication to the mechanism of failure here?

I'm curious exactly what these people experienced at the point of failure.  Was it like being inside a large grenade, shredded before even knowing it?  Cut in half by a high pressure water jet as a crack spread across the hull?  Some other method?

Most likely, if they perceived anything, they heard a creak, maybe a crack, and then milliseconds later they were squished to auto ignition temperatures, shredded by debris, and then flung in a thousand different directions.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #206 on: June 22, 2023, 03:55:10 PM »
I’d guess, if anything in terms of body parts existed, they weren’t any bigger, or more recognizable than a meatball.
Formerly sumpnz

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #207 on: June 22, 2023, 03:57:17 PM »
Short of sitting on top of an exploding nuke there's probably no faster way to go.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #208 on: June 22, 2023, 04:32:05 PM »
Huh. Turns out the ROV that found the debris field was the Odysseus 6K, owned by my first boss with the feds.

https://pelagic-services.com/web2/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #209 on: June 22, 2023, 04:46:19 PM »
It's republican billionaire Elon Musk fault and an an investigation should be launched.

Yeah.....

"@OccupyDemocrats

BREAKING: Republican billionaire Elon Musk is thrust into another nightmare PR disaster as it's revealed that the missing Titanic submersible company previously praised his satellite communication company Starlink — and said that it would be "relying on" the service to "provide the communications" for the Titanic Expedition.   The world lost all communication with the submersible and its crew shortly after it began its journey towards the sunken wreck.    A massive search-and-rescue effort is currently underway but prospects look grimmer by the hour. The crew has limited oxygen and cannot exit the craft without outside help.   It must be stated that at this point there is no direct indication that Starlink failed or was the cause of this terrifying and possibly tragic incident. That said, given Musk's long history of screwups and reckless dishonesty, an investigation should be launched.   RT and  if you demand an investigation — and consider investing in Tribel, a “woke” new Twitter competitor that is currently doing a round of equity crowdfunding and just blew past $1.4 million raised from 3,600 of its users. If you want to own a small piece of what is quickly becoming the “next big thing” in social media, here is the link to do so, http://wefunder.com/Tribel. You can invest as little as $100 — or as much as you’d like. Here’s the link to download the new Tribel app that Elon Musk is so afraid of: http://tribel.app.link/okwPIHYCIqb"

Excuse me while go found something stronger to put in my morning coffee

@OccupyDemocrats get rightfully dragged for ghoulish attempt to tie Elon Musk to missing Titanic sub
https://twitchy.com/amy/2023/06/20/occupydemocrats-gets-community-noted-for-ridiculous-attempt-to-tie-elon-musk-to-missing-submersible-n2384685

Snopes decided to get involved
And after someone points out the flaws in the above enter Elon and guess who won that fight.
Hint, it wasn't Snopes

Community Notes & Elon Musk vs. Snopes (guess which one backpedaled)
https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/06/22/community-notes-vs-snopes-guess-which-one-backpedaled-n2384739
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #210 on: June 22, 2023, 04:52:53 PM »
Typical rich tourists.

Visit a historic site, and leave a lot of litter behind.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2023, 04:54:14 PM »
Is it too soon to post memes?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2023, 05:45:15 PM »
Brief explanation of what happens inside an imploding submersible.  No idea if the scenario is accurate.

https://twitter.com/OliLondonTV/status/1671951053753909255

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #213 on: June 22, 2023, 05:55:37 PM »
So a Darwin award for the owner?
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #214 on: June 22, 2023, 06:03:15 PM »
Nah, go ahead. Love to see them.

Holy crap, somebody else pointed out the Diesel effect?  Imagine that.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #215 on: June 22, 2023, 06:04:22 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #216 on: June 22, 2023, 06:04:57 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #217 on: June 22, 2023, 06:06:55 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #218 on: June 22, 2023, 06:07:28 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #219 on: June 22, 2023, 06:10:13 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #220 on: June 22, 2023, 06:14:53 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #221 on: June 22, 2023, 06:16:18 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #222 on: June 22, 2023, 06:28:06 PM »
One more for now

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2023, 06:35:10 PM »
Back to serious mode

I was wondering if something like this was going to turn up.

US Navy 'detected implosion noise'

The US Navy detected “an acoustic anomaly consistent with an implosion” shortly after the Titan lost contact with the surface, an official has told CBS News, the BBC's US partner.

The information was relayed to the US Coast Guard, which used it to narrow the radius of its search, the official added.

The banging that was reported earlier is now thought to have been coming from other ships in the area, CBS reports.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-65967464?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=6494c58a523d5b126170823b%26US%20Navy%20%27detected%20implosion%20noise%27%262023-06-22T22%3A06%3A23.693Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:83766001-8c25-4aa7-bd50-d1f7cf7c9411&pinned_post_asset_id=6494c58a523d5b126170823b&pinned_post_type=share

So that pretty much proves the sub imploded shortly after the last 15min ping around 10am EST Sunday
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 06:52:35 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #224 on: June 22, 2023, 07:30:43 PM »
^^^I wonder if the SOSUS network picked up the sound.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.