Author Topic: Titanic tourist sub goes missing  (Read 16001 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Titanic tourist sub goes missing
« Reply #225 on: June 22, 2023, 07:33:33 PM »
^^^I wonder if the SOSUS network picked up the sound.

I would be surprised if it didn't
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2023, 07:42:39 PM »
Amazon has begun moderating the reviews section of the now infamous games controller used to control the missing Titan sub.

As news of the missing sub spread earlier this week, bad taste reviews began to appear on the shopping giant’s page for the Logitech F710 controller.

Users posted about the controller "not being good at steering a submarine" and "losing signal in the ocean".
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-65967464?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=6494bafcf2e5745fd8a78362%26Amazon%20is%20moderating%20bad%20taste%20reviews%20of%20game%20controller%20used%20in%20Titan%20sub%262023-06-22T22%3A53%3A15.829Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:5edecc6d-05b0-4c42-84f5-65c7ffaaca7e&pinned_post_asset_id=6494bafcf2e5745fd8a78362&pinned_post_type=share

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2023, 07:42:59 PM »
^^^I wonder if the SOSUS network picked up the sound.

A lot of the SOSUS network has been shut down. I know that Keflavik and Bermuda have been shut down, the Northern California SOSUS is mainly civilian with a ocean mammal listening project.

Now days it is called IUSS, https://www.csp.navy.mil/cus/About-IUSS/ , and while it may still use some of the SOSUS array there are a few other methods they use.

With that being said you can probably bet your house that the sound of the implosion was picked up by them, it just took a day or so to analyze it.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2023, 07:46:23 PM »
More on that from CNN

The US Navy detected an acoustic signature consistent with an implosion on Sunday in the general area where the Titanic-bound submersible was diving when it lost communication with its mother ship, a senior Navy official told CNN Thursday.

The Navy then immediately relayed that information to the on-scene commanders leading the search effort, and it was used to narrow down the area of the search, the official said.

But the sound of the implosion was determined to be “not definitive,” the official said, and the multinational efforts to find the submersible continued as a search and rescue effort. “Any chance of saving a life is worth continuing the mission,” the official said. The Wall Street Journal was first to report about the acoustic signature picked up by the Navy.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/22/us/submersible-titanic-oceangate-search-thursday/index.html

So they waited for proof the sub imploded before definitively concluding what they heard was actually the sound of the sub imploding.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2023, 07:57:15 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• friend
« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2023, 08:01:55 PM »
More on that from CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/22/us/submersible-titanic-oceangate-search-thursday/index.html

So they waited for proof the sub imploded before definitively concluding what they heard was actually the sound of the sub imploding.

Or they knew and they directed the searchers into the correct area hoping it would be found sooner rather than later and they would not have to divulge just how they heard the implosion or how far away.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2023, 08:03:38 PM »
Or they knew and they directed the searchers into the correct area hoping it would be found sooner rather than later and they would not have to divulge just how they heard the implosion or how far away.

bob

Then turn around and divulge it anyway?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #232 on: June 22, 2023, 08:06:25 PM »
I'm glad people are skeptical of the news, but I don't buy the idea "they" are just trying to distract us from some other news story. It's not every day a couple of billionaires die in a submersible accident, while diving to look at the Titanic. That would be a big story, regardless.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• friend
« Reply #233 on: June 22, 2023, 08:10:58 PM »
Then divulge it anyway?

They didn't divulge anything in the way of specifics. It sounded like a general "we heard something, look here while we analyze". At least that is how I take it.

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2023, 08:41:29 PM »
NASA has distanced itself from claims by OceanGate that it was involved in the development of the Titan submersible.

The agency said it only carried out remote consultations with the company which built and deployed Titan, and 'did not provide any approvals for the project'.

A NASA spokesman clarified its role after OceanGate and its CEO, Stockton Rush, made several claims about how it '[worked] with NASA' and used the agency's logo in some of its promotional material.

Boeing and the University of Washington have also denied any involvement in the design of the missing Titanic tourist submersible - despite OceanGate saying they played a part.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12224091/NASA-says-did-NOT-help-manufacture-test-Titan-sub.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #235 on: June 22, 2023, 10:00:31 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #236 on: June 22, 2023, 10:24:43 PM »

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #237 on: June 23, 2023, 12:16:45 AM »
Scott Manley doing a live Q&A on this
Note: He's drinking and maybe a little drunk  :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdz9vcSFBqw

Edit: No maybe about it  :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 12:29:18 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2023, 01:09:39 AM »

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2023, 07:06:04 AM »
^ You're a baaaad little boy, Angel Eyes.  =D

AZRedhawk44:

"...carbon-oxygen energetic event..."\

WLJ:

"Sub would likely to be in one piece if it was the case that the inside and outside pressures slowly equalized. No, they were more than likely gone, lights out so to speak, before their brains could even start to register something was amiss."

[Like the firefighters in the Beirut AN eplosion.  Switch off.  Fire Chief later commented they would never be found.]

One of my main concerns was the conditions if they lived for days after losimg comms.  I was frankly relieved that it was sudden.

(The "Round Trip Ticket" one was the topper.)

Thanks ! Needed a grin or two after all this.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 07:42:11 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #240 on: June 23, 2023, 07:16:25 AM »
Titanic is about 12,500 feet deep.

Pressure at that depth is roughly 5,500 psi. As others have said, hull failure at that pressure would have been instant death.

There's some old video, probably from the 1930s, of testing of a deep sea tethered bathysphere.

It leaked and filled with water (no one was aboard, apparently).

AH! Here we go, an account of it from Wikipedia...

"When conducting an unmanned test of the Bathysphere with the third window installed, they found it almost entirely full of water. Realizing the immense pressure that the Bathysphere must be under, Beebe ordered his crew to stand clear and began loosening the hatch's bolts to remove the hatch himself.[2] Beebe described the experience that followed this in his book Half Mile Down:

Suddenly, without the slightest warning, the bolt was torn from our hands, and the mass of heavy metal shot across the deck like the shell from a gun. The trajectory was almost straight, and the brass bolt hurtled into the steel winch thirty feet [9.1 m] away across the deck and sheared a half-inch [13 mm] notch gouged out by the harder metal. This was followed by a solid cylinder of water, which slackened after a while into a cataract, pouring out the hole in the door, some air mingled with the water, looking like hot steam, instead of compressed air shooting through ice-cold water.[6]

After replacing the third window with the steel plug and conducting another unmanned test, the same problem happened again.[2] Beebe later described what would have happened to him and Barton had they been inside the sphere on a dive during which it leaked. They would not have had time to drown: due to the immense pressure, "the first few drops of water would have shot through flesh and bone like steel bullets."[8]"
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #241 on: June 23, 2023, 07:41:26 AM »
So even a small leak at depth would be squirting into the sub with a stream somewhat more powerful than from your average gasoline pressure washer from Home Depot.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #242 on: June 23, 2023, 07:50:40 AM »
So even a small leak at depth would be squirting into the sub with a stream somewhat more powerful than from your average gasoline pressure washer from Home Depot.

More like a water jet cutter.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #243 on: June 23, 2023, 07:54:48 AM »
Now that the whole news charade about "they're alive and only have hours of air left" is done, the MSM is going into, "the chances of recovering the bodies" mode.  ;/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #244 on: June 23, 2023, 08:04:31 AM »
Dead horse beating time?

Similar in many respects... scroll to "Sinking"and capture text as evidence of future "editing."  Apparently the Navy has "unlinked" some material on its thresher sites. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Thresher_(SSN-593)

Not that I'm paranoid, but.

And as I recall, the sound of the Thresher's collapse was picked up.

Just saying, seek what parallels ye can seek.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 08:58:16 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #245 on: June 23, 2023, 08:09:56 AM »
Now that the whole news charade about "they're alive and only have hours of air left" is done, the MSM is going into, "the chances of recovering the bodies" mode.  ;/

Well, holding out hope isn't such a bad thing, especially when there was no concrete evidence of what happened.

Would you rather have had them splashing "THEY'RE *expletive deleted*ing DEAD! ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY DEAD! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!" headlines on Sunday evening?

As for body recovery... Yeah, how to do you recover pulverized goo? That's likely what happened when the sub broke up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #246 on: June 23, 2023, 08:19:49 AM »
^
Did somebody mention "meatball-sized chunks" somewhat up above?

I'm thinking of the guy who committed suicide by up-close shooting 200lb of Tannerite right by his feet.  The coroner described the body as "severely fragmented."  Talk about "switch off."
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 08:32:06 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #247 on: June 23, 2023, 08:28:18 AM »
"Did somebody mention "meatball-sized chunks" up above?"

Great... Now I'm hungry for Italian...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #248 on: June 23, 2023, 08:37:35 AM »
"Did somebody mention "meatball-sized chunks" up above?"

Great... Now I'm hungry for Italian...

I think you mean beef kofta curry.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #249 on: June 23, 2023, 08:48:30 AM »
Actually, I'd be kind of surprised if there were anything really chunky in the remains at all. 5,500 PSI hitting essentially instantly would be like being caught in the plates of the world's most powerful arbor press. And the force wouldn't be applied gradually, it would be almost instant.