Author Topic: Titanic tourist sub goes missing  (Read 15941 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Titanic tourist sub goes missing
« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2023, 06:44:54 PM »
That'll be a hard "NO" from me, dog.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #276 on: June 23, 2023, 06:45:30 PM »
Video

Used Propane Tank Becomes Submarine | Outrageous Acts of Science
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cTDlOfl3B8&t=8s
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2023, 06:51:47 PM »
That'll be a hard "NO" from me, dog.

It'll be fine
--Stockton Rush
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2023, 06:54:47 PM »
Video

Used Propane Tank Becomes Submarine | Outrageous Acts of Science
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cTDlOfl3B8&t=8s

^ Those walls are under tension, where forces tend to spread out and equalize.  Under pressure, any anomalies tend to concentrate, resulting in failure.

In vacuum labs, flexible pressure lines are thinly walled, while vacuum line walls are very thick.  This is, incidentally why the hoses on your vacuum cleaner are ribbed... for the extra compressive strength.

Think of the thin walls of a soda bottle holding in that pressure, versus what happens if you suck even a little air out of it.  It starts to collapse right away.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2023, 07:05:46 PM »
Think of the thin walls of a soda bottle holding in that pressure, versus what happens if you suck even a little air out of it.  It starts to collapse right away.

So you're saying we shouldn't build a deep dive submersible from soda bottles.

But wait! What if we reinforce the plastic by wrapping it with carbon filament? That ought'a work, oughtn't it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #280 on: June 23, 2023, 07:14:58 PM »

But wait! What if we reinforce the plastic by wrapping it with carbon filament? That ought'a work, oughtn't it?

I should have a game controller here somewhere.

Titanic here we come!
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #281 on: June 23, 2023, 07:16:11 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #282 on: June 23, 2023, 07:45:49 PM »

1.  That's correct. With the provisio;n that you get the lesson you can learn from your vacuum cleaner hose.

2.   Yes, but only trust it for five test dives at 20% deeper than desired depth  and then one real dive, then scrap it.  Hawkmoon may recommend 30% deeper.

Pressure vessels and vacuum vessels (which the Titan sub was, compared to the external water pressure) are specced differently.  Viz the soda bottle example.

Terry, 230RN

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #283 on: June 23, 2023, 08:23:12 PM »
This is, incidentally why the hoses on your vacuum cleaner are ribbed... for the extra compressive strength.

SO, "ribbed for her pleasure" doesn't apply here then?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #284 on: June 23, 2023, 09:07:34 PM »
What was long and hard and full of seamen then it blew up all over the place?
7-11 was a part time job.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #286 on: June 23, 2023, 09:33:06 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #287 on: June 23, 2023, 09:36:25 PM »
^^^^^
But were they inspired?
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #288 on: June 23, 2023, 10:31:23 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #289 on: June 24, 2023, 12:10:42 AM »
I think by "inspired," he meant "yes-men."

Men not quite old enough to have acquired self-assurance in their competence and the balls to say no.

"Hey, JB, that's a great idea.  Let's run with it," the syncopathic  underling said, fearing failure and feigning fervency.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 12:36:23 AM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #290 on: June 24, 2023, 08:04:21 AM »
This Obama idiot:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/obama-calls-obscene-inequality-news-coverage-oceangate-sub-tragedy-sinking-migrant-ship

I'm pretty sure that if it were "700 dead immigrants in Greece" or, "Trump ordered an extra large fries with his Big Mac", the US MSM would be cover Trump.

Something like "people trapped in a submarine with 40 hours of air" will always naturally trump other news, especially foreign news.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #291 on: June 24, 2023, 09:25:52 AM »
https://www.reuters.com/world/titanic-sub-victims-families-could-still-sue-despite-liability-waivers-2023-06-22/

https://fortune.com/2023/06/23/titan-submersible-oceangate-liability-waivers-passengers/

https://www.businessinsider.com/oceangate-done-could-still-get-sued-despite-waivers-says-lawyer-2023-6

You can still expect the lawsuits, but actually collecting on any judgments, given that the Oceangate insurance will run out and they have little in the way of assets, may be the trick.  If I was plaintiff counsel, I would look to also sue as many parts and materials suppliers as I could find, as potential deep pockets.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #292 on: June 24, 2023, 09:52:15 AM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #293 on: June 24, 2023, 10:12:28 AM »
If I was plaintiff counsel, I would look to also sue as many parts and materials suppliers as I could find, as potential deep pockets.

I'm hoping that will fail, as that's a really bad precedent (in my IANAL opinion) for things like suing gun manufacturers for shootings.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #294 on: June 24, 2023, 10:47:49 AM »
  If I was plaintiff counsel, I would look to also sue as many parts and materials suppliers as I could find, as potential deep pockets.

I'm hoping that will fail, as that's a really bad precedent (in my IANAL opinion) for things like suing gun manufacturers for shootings.

If they could prove the materials supplied were defective or otherwise substandard. But good luck with that since the evidence, particularly the CF hull, is in 10x10^30 pieces 2 1/2 miles down with much of it scattered by the currents and the owner/builder is strawberry jam.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 11:09:27 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #295 on: June 24, 2023, 11:09:11 AM »
https://www.reuters.com/world/titanic-sub-victims-families-could-still-sue-despite-liability-waivers-2023-06-22/

https://fortune.com/2023/06/23/titan-submersible-oceangate-liability-waivers-passengers/

https://www.businessinsider.com/oceangate-done-could-still-get-sued-despite-waivers-says-lawyer-2023-6

You can still expect the lawsuits, but actually collecting on any judgments, given that the Oceangate insurance will run out and they have little in the way of assets, may be the trick.  If I was plaintiff counsel, I would look to also sue as many parts and materials suppliers as I could find, as potential deep pockets.

I was wondering about the financial aspect of a suit since there didn't seem to be much left to sue for.

"If I was plaintiff counsel, I would look to also sue as many parts and materials suppliers as I could find, as potential deep pockets."

Isn't that like something we, the firearms community, are dead set against? I.e., suing gun and ammunition manufacturers for the actions of their customers?

But I guess one can sue anybody for anything nowadays, so...

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #296 on: June 24, 2023, 11:56:53 AM »
If UW, Boeing or NASA gave any kind of “approval” for the design I’d guess they’ll become defendants in the suits.
Formerly sumpnz

HankB

• friend
« Reply #297 on: June 24, 2023, 12:16:59 PM »
If UW, Boeing or NASA gave any kind of “approval” for the design I’d guess they’ll become defendants in the suits.
How deep are Logitech's pockets? After all, they made the controller used to steer the sub.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #298 on: June 24, 2023, 12:22:02 PM »
If they could prove the materials supplied were defective or otherwise substandard. But good luck with that since the evidence, particularly the CF hull, is in 10x10^30 pieces 2 1/2 miles down with much of it scattered by the currents and the owner/builder is strawberry jam.

The way I see it is a misuse of the materials. To continue the gun analogy, it would be like suing Savage because you shot 5.56 in a .223. Or perhaps more similar to this case, where it seems standard engineering safety protocols weren't followed, it would be like shooting reloaded ammo that was 25% over the max powder specification in all the manuals, then suing the gun or brass manufacturer because they failed to handle the load.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #299 on: June 24, 2023, 01:45:46 PM »
A better firearms-related analogy would be your custom revolver blows up in your face, rendering you blind. The gunsmith has insufficient insurance or assets to pay for your injuries.  Your lawyer, seeking only to make you whole, also sues Pine Tree Castings, a supplier to the revolver maker, to add them as a potential deep pocket.  If your lawyer can establish that Pine Tree Castings was negligent in the design of the part or shipped a defective part, you can collect on that.  The concept of moving up and down the supply chain looking for potential defendants in product liability or personal injury lawsuits caused by an object is not new.

Edited to add: I almost forgot, it was so long ago.  But when I first started working for the lawfirm back in the 80's, they were the lead Washington state defense counsel for the asbestos mesothelioma cases.  There were many such cases in Washington, and almost all of them were men who worked in the Puget Sound shipyards around the WWII era and were exposed to asbestos lagging/insulation products on board civilian and Naval vessels.  Everyone from the asbestos mines, to the processors, to the distributors, to the lagging/insulation companies and other companies in the supply chain were defendants in those cases.  I never really worked on those cases but I did do some legal and medical research on the issue of smoking and mesothelioma.  It turns out that smoking and asbestos exposure increases your chance of developing mesothelioma.  And almost all the plaintiffs were middle-aged to elderly men who all smoked like chimneys, including while they were working with asbestos products. So trying to figure out how did your smoking contribute to your mesothelioma was a big part of those cases.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 02:04:26 PM by MillCreek »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.