Author Topic: Titanic tourist sub goes missing  (Read 15977 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Titanic tourist sub goes missing
« Reply #300 on: June 24, 2023, 01:56:50 PM »
Your lawyer, seeking only to make you whole …
=)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #301 on: June 24, 2023, 02:13:55 PM »
I'm sure there will be lawsuits, because that's what people do these days -- sue. Whether the lawsuits will get any traction is a different matter. I'm sure OceanGate is a corporation, so it could be interesting to see if the lawyers try to "pierce the corporate veil" and go after Rush's personal estate, or some of the other OceanGate employees and suppliers.

They'll have an uphill climb. It has already come out that multiple sources with expertise in submersible design and construction told Rush that his design was dangerous, and he dismissed their concerns as being unfounded. Any defense will probably start with the guy Rush fired in 2018 for having the audacity to suggest that they should have the hull tested.

Just found an article in which the guy who was scheduled to go on this dive -- with his son -- and who backed out says that Rush told him the trip was safer than crossing the street. As I said early on, it ultimately comes down to hubris. Rush obviously believed his toy was safe, but his fervent belief basically made him blind to reality.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/8440488/oceangate-stockton-rush-titan-sub-safe-half-price-tickets/
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

JTHunter

• friends
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

JTHunter

• friends
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

JTHunter

• friends

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #305 on: June 24, 2023, 05:01:30 PM »
Links is a URL, not an IMG.

I seem to recall you having issues viewing images before and I recall asking what you browser and settings were but don't think you ever answered. And why are your posts always in an odd font?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 06:08:22 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #306 on: June 24, 2023, 06:07:45 PM »
Yeah, there is nothing to fix in those two posts. They both display properly.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #307 on: June 24, 2023, 06:08:59 PM »
Yeah, there is nothing to fix in those two posts. They both display properly.

I'm thinking he might be using an old way out of date browser
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #308 on: June 24, 2023, 06:11:01 PM »
I'm thinking he might be using an old way out of date browser

Hey man, Mosaic is the bomb.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #309 on: June 24, 2023, 06:16:25 PM »
Hey man, Mosaic is the bomb.

Thought it died 65 million years ago
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #310 on: June 24, 2023, 07:57:59 PM »
:facepalm: FIFY.

Fixed what? There was nothing broken about either of the posts you "fixed."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #311 on: June 24, 2023, 09:07:10 PM »
As I read more articles and watch more videos, I'm seeing multiple statements that the Triton had dropped its ballast weights and was ascending.

How could anyone know this? They had lost contact with the surface. Where is his "information" coming from?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #312 on: June 24, 2023, 09:08:13 PM »
As I read more articles and watch more videos, I'm seeing multiple statements that the Triton had dropped its ballast weights and was ascending.

How could anyone know this? They had lost contact with the surface. Where is his "information" coming from?

See reply 272

James Cameron unless he knows something that hasn't been released publicly basically pulled that little tidbit out of his arse. And since no one dares questions James Cameron, aka the submariner god, it must be true. Now if someone said it before him I don't know.
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #313 on: June 25, 2023, 01:08:23 AM »
See reply 272

James Cameron unless he knows something that hasn't been released publicly basically pulled that little tidbit out of his arse. And since no one dares questions James Cameron, aka the submariner god, it must be true. Now if someone said it before him I don't know.

I will go with pulling it from his arse for 1000, host of the day.

Now he is saying the composite was most likely what failed. That is a good educated guess along with the Harboer Freight sourced  viewing port. I mentioned he really had no way of knowing what happened on another board and you would have thought I called the Pope a devil worshiper. I reiterated, while Saint James C (Lord of the undersea realm) might be able to make some good, even educated guesses he has no idea what happened or what they were doing because he just wasn't there to experience the full glory of incineration with the other blobs of fat. Holy Moly, some people just have no sense of humor.  =D  >:D

bob
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 11:18:02 AM by BobR »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #314 on: June 25, 2023, 02:26:13 AM »
I seem to recall you having issues viewing images before and I recall asking what you browser and settings were but don't think you ever answered. And why are your posts always in an odd font?

<counter-gripe>

I didn't "get" your Reply # 281 and just assumed  either I was too stupid or the poster made the unwarranted assumption that everybody else in the world was a mind reader.

I ran out of my Mind Reader Rx about a year ago and I now ignore any obtuse or obscure posts on the theory they weren't worth "getting" anyway if I was too stupid to "dig" it or I needed to renew my mind reader Rx to "get" them.
</counter-gripe>

But then again, I ain;t perfekt neither.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #315 on: June 25, 2023, 08:25:27 AM »
<counter-gripe>

I didn't "get" your Reply # 281 and just assumed  either I was too stupid or the poster made the unwarranted assumption that everybody else in the world was a mind reader.

I ran out of my Mind Reader Rx about a year ago and I now ignore any obtuse or obscure posts on the theory they weren't worth "getting" anyway if I was too stupid to "dig" it or I needed to renew my mind reader Rx to "get" them.
</counter-gripe>

But then again, I ain;t perfekt neither.

Terry, 230RN

Had to go back and look.
Okay meme is two* famous billionaires that many dislike being poked to go visit the the Titanic. If you didn't already know who the two were and perhaps disliked them already then the meme won't be funny for you anyway. That's the way many jokes work. If it needs explaining it's not going be funny to you anyway. But nothing stops someone from asking. I do all the time if I don't get a joke. Like many movie references that are dropped here. I haven't seen all movies so many i don't get but I ask or roll with it.

*Bill Gates and George Soros BTW

This is before coffee, time for coffee.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 09:11:17 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2023, 09:06:23 AM »
^ OK.  Acknowledged as received.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #317 on: June 25, 2023, 09:10:06 AM »
Another version of that meme I've seen had Musk and Bezos
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #318 on: June 25, 2023, 09:16:36 AM »
^ Thanks for the additional example.  :eyeroll:  :LOL: :sarcasm-dripping:

:laugh:   ;)

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #319 on: June 25, 2023, 09:18:24 AM »
Basically insert the people you don't like type meme.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2023, 09:29:09 AM »
Behind a paywall, but the WSJ talks about how SOSUS, or the successor systems, picked up the implosion:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/titanic-titan-implosion-secret-military-technology-8c020e7b

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2023, 12:43:51 PM »
A really good summary of the incident including hard numerical data and hard engineering.

This guy is really good.

https://youtu.be/TKLamhyJ6bE (21:30 and worth it)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 12:57:45 PM by 230RN »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2023, 09:28:16 PM »

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #324 on: June 27, 2023, 07:46:36 AM »