Author Topic: Titanic tourist sub goes missing  (Read 15928 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Titanic tourist sub goes missing
« Reply #425 on: June 30, 2023, 01:50:33 PM »
Seeing the 4,300 cert limit for the viewport being repeated here

Note info on the viewport in the first image and the fact that it's gone in the second.
Would like to see that info confirmed and must consider the fact the viewport could have blown out during the implosion but this makes me wonder.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12252049/Titan-sub-rescue-crew-leader-breaks-reveals-moment-debris.html

« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 12:11:23 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #426 on: July 01, 2023, 11:24:01 AM »
'Chlorate Candles- Chemical generation of O2. My first boat did not have a Oxygen generator, we burned candles or used the O2 banks.'

Those things produce a lot of heat, don't they?

Destin of the "Smarter Every Day" Youtube channel has a few episodes about modern subs.  Good weekend viewing.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #427 on: July 02, 2023, 08:22:34 PM »
Check Firefox's security settings for the site. (shield emblem in the address bar).
If set too high it can sometimes interfere with images on this site. If on max turn off just for this site since I assume you can trust this site.

It is set on "strict", if that is any help.  I didn't know about that shield as I never used it for anything.  When I still use IE on Win. XP, it was also set at "max" or just one step below that.  That may be how I have avoided getting a virus except for one time (via email from a relative) in 25 years.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #428 on: July 05, 2023, 03:51:39 PM »
https://youtu.be/4Dj8IJbP41c

If true apparently they had text based comms with the surface.  And if true they descended much too quickly, and when they got alarms weren’t able to abort effectively and ascend.
Formerly sumpnz

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #429 on: July 05, 2023, 04:38:45 PM »
https://youtu.be/4Dj8IJbP41c

If true apparently they had text based comms with the surface.  And if true they descended much too quickly, and when they got alarms weren’t able to abort effectively and ascend.

Even he says it could be fake so take with an internet size grain of salt
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #430 on: July 05, 2023, 04:43:43 PM »
Even he says it could be fake so take with an internet size grain of salt

Hence the “if true” caveats.
Formerly sumpnz

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #431 on: July 05, 2023, 04:47:13 PM »
Hence the “if true” caveats.

Was reinforcing what you said. Sorry if it came across as otherwise.

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #432 on: July 05, 2023, 04:59:04 PM »
This jives with what Cameron was saying and he says some of the numbers match.

So either
A) It's real and Cameron saw this and they were trying to ascend.
B) It's fake and someone matched it up with what Cameron was going on about.

But if real why did the crew on the mothership wait 8 hours before calling it in if they knew the sub was in distress?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #433 on: July 05, 2023, 05:04:04 PM »
This jives with what Cameron was saying and he says some of the numbers match.

So either
A) It's real and Cameron saw this and they were trying ascend.
B) It's fake and someone matched it up with what Cameron was going on about.

C) it’s fake and doesn’t match up other than a couple spots, done by someone with either just enough information or an ability to convincingly fake it to make it seem like it matched up with Cameron.
D) it’s real but Cameron had other info and this just corroborates what he had.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #434 on: July 05, 2023, 05:05:33 PM »
Yeah, it's already been confirmed that their comms was a text based system.

The video was certainly interesting though, if the texts were real. I'm no engineer, but if they were descending nearly twice as fast as normal, I'm thinking that's a big stress contributor. Pilot seemed pretty blasé about it.

But what do you expect from a company whose CEO wanted to hire 20-something surfers and other "free thinkers" as pilots rather than trained and experienced pilots. I think they watched one too many Star Treks where they massively exceed limits but come out okie dokie.

https://youtu.be/VPz-6HuM8Sc?t=117
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #435 on: July 05, 2023, 05:08:21 PM »
If this is fake someone needs to be paid a visit by the Narn Bat Squad
- Calvin and Hobbes

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #436 on: July 05, 2023, 05:12:45 PM »
The faster descent shouldn’t have been a huge factor in the implosion other than a slower descent might have triggered alarms at a somewhat shallower depth and might have given an opportunity to ascend before disaster.  Keep in mind it still took 1:30 instead of 2:30 to get to nearly titanic depth.  It’s not like they zoomed down in 5 minutes or something crazy.  Structurally speaking that’s still a quasi static load on the sub, not a dynamic, rapidly increasing load.
Formerly sumpnz

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #437 on: July 05, 2023, 05:19:55 PM »
The faster descent shouldn’t have been a huge factor in the implosion other than a slower descent might have triggered alarms at a somewhat shallower depth and might have given an opportunity to ascend before disaster.  Keep in mind it still took 1:30 instead of 2:30 to get to nearly titanic depth.  It’s not like they zoomed down in 5 minutes or something crazy.  Structurally speaking that’s still a quasi static load on the sub, not a dynamic, rapidly increasing load.

If true it would still put loads on the hull faster than normal. But also if true just the fact they were descending far faster than normal should have told them something was seriously amiss somewhere in the system. Blowing it off would jive with what we've heard about this guy though.

If NASA/SX/ULA etc.. launched a rocket and it suddenly went 50% faster than normal you would think they be looking at that abort button.

So either this is fake or this guy was even more criminally arrogant than we thought
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 05:32:45 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #438 on: July 05, 2023, 05:33:45 PM »
It would seem to indicate the sub was a bit heavy, unless they were just running the vertical thrusters hard to descend.

A heavier than anticipated craft would jive with the slow ascent after they dumped ballast as well.

I wonder how much of the descent/ascent was programmed to be thrust and how much was planned to be their natural buoyancy.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #439 on: July 05, 2023, 05:42:59 PM »
Structurally speaking that’s still a quasi static load on the sub, not a dynamic, rapidly increasing load.

I totally accept that with normal materials. I'm just wondering if the carbon fiber component might have been affected. I'm still unclear exactly how that was integrated into the structural design.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #440 on: July 05, 2023, 05:50:25 PM »
A heavier than anticipated craft would jive with the slow ascent after they dumped ballast as well.

I'm now interested in their prep/descent/ascent checklists. Having worked with both ROVs and aircraft, known weight is a pretty critical factor in planning. I'd want to know how they got heavier than "anticipated".

Also, even in scuba diving, just a few extra pounds requires buoyancy compensation, and the more you have to diddle and correct over neutral, the wonkier your swim is going to be as you continually correct for "overweight" at various depths.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #441 on: July 05, 2023, 05:53:00 PM »
Can't keep from comparing this to Capt Smith running at full speed on a moonless night despite being warned of icebergs.

If true of course.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #442 on: July 05, 2023, 05:55:28 PM »
It would seem to indicate the sub was a bit heavy, unless they were just running the vertical thrusters hard to descend.

I wonder how much of the descent/ascent was programmed to be thrust and how much was planned to be their natural buoyancy.

A submersible “should” be slightly positively buoyant at max design depth.  They should need the thrusters to descend.

My best guess is the carbon hull was absorbing substantial water.  Possibly from low cycle fatigue cracks from prior dives.  That both compromised hull strength and ability to ascend due to the added mass.  Eventually the water absorption caused delaminations or just significantly reduced the strength properties of the composite resulting in the pressure hull failing catastrophically.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #443 on: July 05, 2023, 05:58:39 PM »
Do we know for certain that they jettisoned ALL the ballast? If, again, information so far is accurate, I would guess they did, since they also dropped the skids, and that would seem like "last resort" ballast to me.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #444 on: July 05, 2023, 06:04:15 PM »
I totally accept that with normal materials. I'm just wondering if the carbon fiber component might have been affected. I'm still unclear exactly how that was integrated into the structural design.

The cylinder was bonded to the titanium hemispheres.  Apparently somewhat sloppily.  Epoxy is pretty good in compression so I’m guessing the bonding between the carbon and titanium probably wasn’t the initial failure point.  And even if the bond failed before the implosion it’s likely the pressure from the water would have kept a good seal between the carbon fiber and the titanium at depth because the carbon fiber should have been under more compressive strain than the metal.  Or at least that’s how’d I’d have told them to design it, if I took sufficient leave from my senses to be involved at all.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #445 on: July 05, 2023, 06:25:26 PM »
Do we know for certain that they jettisoned ALL the ballast? If, again, information so far is accurate, I would guess they did, since they also dropped the skids, and that would seem like "last resort" ballast to me.

If that transcript is real, then it appears they jettisoned everything they could as far as ballast.
Formerly sumpnz

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #446 on: July 05, 2023, 06:25:37 PM »
 [popcorn]  [popcorn]  [popcorn]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #447 on: July 05, 2023, 10:32:28 PM »
A submersible “should” be slightly positively buoyant at max design depth.  They should need the thrusters to descend.

My best guess is the carbon hull was absorbing substantial water.  Possibly from low cycle fatigue cracks from prior dives.  That both compromised hull strength and ability to ascend due to the added mass.  Eventually the water absorption caused delaminations or just significantly reduced the strength properties of the composite resulting in the pressure hull failing catastrophically.
Making a submarine hull out of what amounts to a high tech sponge makes about as much sense as using a screen door for the hatch.

As far as the alleged transcript is concerned . . . color me skeptical.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #448 on: July 07, 2023, 09:15:36 AM »
Just did a google search for any updates on this transcript business and still can't find anything coming from an "official" source saying one way or another whether or not it's real or fake. Should that be viewed as a bit odd by now?
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #449 on: July 07, 2023, 09:41:10 AM »
The cylinder was bonded to the titanium hemispheres.  Apparently somewhat sloppily.  Epoxy is pretty good in compression so I’m guessing the bonding between the carbon and titanium probably wasn’t the initial failure point.  And even if the bond failed before the implosion it’s likely the pressure from the water would have kept a good seal between the carbon fiber and the titanium at depth because the carbon fiber should have been under more compressive strain than the metal.  Or at least that’s how’d I’d have told them to design it, if I took sufficient leave from my senses to be involved at all.

I found this video which has some construction footage of bonding the ring to the pressure chamber.  It looks like the CF tube fit into a channel in the back of the ring.  2:53 shows them moving the ring into place, and if we go with the "5" thinks CF tube" dimension that is often given, I'm going to say it had about 1.5" overlap on the joint.

What's also interesting is that with the tube in a titanium channel like that, the epoxy wasn't taking much stress beyond just the seawater pressure.  Any stress from the different materials compressing at different rates would have been on the CF just aft of the joint, at the side of the channel on the ring.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-vh0kzuecQ