Author Topic: Titanic tourist sub goes missing  (Read 15917 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Titanic tourist sub goes missing
« Reply #500 on: July 11, 2023, 04:30:11 PM »
And now we have this

No it wouldn't have dove like an arrow if it lost propulsion. A sub isn't an airplane :facepalm:

Not an airplane, but could be an aquaplane/hydroplane.  If it is negatively bouyant, it will sink.  If it is sinking, it will do so in an orientation that places the center of mass to offer the least resistance during free fall.  A badminton shuttlecock falls ball first.  An arrow falls tip first.  This is due to the center of balance being forward of the geometric center of the object, and the rear of the object offering drag.  Variation from point-first-flight of these two objects results in the vanes producing even more drag.  The objects fall in the most efficient orientation possible.

I suppose the sub could fall nose first if the ballast was too far forward towards the nose hatch, and the passengers were all crowded towards the nose, and power was lost.  Look at the design of Deepsea Challenger.  That vehicle is a vertical pill design rather than a horizontal pill design like Titan.  It naturally fell vertically.  All it would take to mimic the descent profile of that vehicle is a change in center of mass.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #501 on: July 11, 2023, 04:37:09 PM »
Remember though that boats (and submersibles) have a Center of Buoyancy, which is not the same as the CG.  The distance between the CG and the CB creates a righting force proportional to that distance.  This is what keeps boats upright on the surface, and is the main part of submarine attitude control.  Drag through the water at the speeds  it was probably sinking is not very significant.  (unless it had already popped and the wreckage was several tons negatively buoyant.  Than it would sink pretty quick.)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #502 on: July 11, 2023, 04:38:24 PM »
I'm not sure why he thinks the CG or CB would change appreciably if the thrusters cut out.

My guess is that he is a freaking moron with delusions of adequacy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #503 on: July 11, 2023, 10:38:15 PM »
I'm not sure why he thinks the CG or CB would change appreciably if the thrusters cut out.

Or why the ballast weights wouldn't have fallen off if the capsule went into the nose-down orientation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #504 on: July 16, 2023, 08:55:09 AM »
I seriously wonder if the mothership even had the capability to haul the sub on deck which brings back concerns I had about opening the hatch (17 bolts) while the sub was still in the water and unable to get on the towed platform.

The Alvin research sub is transported to dive sites on the deck of a dedicated mothership, which is outfitted with custom winches and a large crane that places it in the ocean.

In contrast, Titan had no dedicated mothership, and to cut costs it was towed out to sea on the fatal dive by a smaller chartered vessel, the Polar Prince.

The Polar Prince, a decommissioned Canadian Coast Guard icebreaker, was smaller and older than the ships OceanGate had used in previous years, in a cost-cutting move by Rush.

Using a tow cable, the ship dragged the Titan across hundreds of miles of open sea on top of the launch platform that was used to submerge and retrieve the sub.

Disturbing new theory on why Titan imploded: Experts slam CEO for hiring cheaper 'mothership' which dragged shoddy sub across rough seas to Titanic site, unlike safe rival that's kept on deck
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12303359/OceanGate-CEOs-cost-cutting-measures-doomed-Titan.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #505 on: July 16, 2023, 03:06:18 PM »
I doubt the towing would have contributed to the implosion of the hull, but the entire operation shows that the CEO was basically a cheap *expletive deleted*it who wasn't interested in maintaining generally-accepted factors of safety.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #506 on: July 16, 2023, 03:15:23 PM »
I doubt the towing would have contributed to the implosion of the hull, but the entire operation shows that the CEO was basically a cheap *expletive deleted*it who wasn't interested in maintaining generally-accepted factors of safety.

I doubt that too, my concern is whether or not the mothership had the capability to haul the sub aboard if need be. If not there's no way they could have removed all 17 bolts and got them out before the sub flooded if it was still in the water.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #507 on: July 16, 2023, 04:07:56 PM »
I doubt that too, my concern is whether or not the mothership had the capability to haul the sub aboard if need be. If not there's no way they could have removed all 17 bolts and got them out before the sub flooded if it was still in the water.
What was the plan to recover them if something hadn’t gone wrong?  They must have had some way of loading and unloading people at sea.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #508 on: July 16, 2023, 04:17:22 PM »
What was the plan to recover them if something hadn’t gone wrong?  They must have had some way of loading and unloading people at sea.

The sub was suppose to maneuver to the platform while still underwater and then the platform would raise it to the surface.
Whether or not the platform itself could maneuver on it's own under the sub if the sub lost power or maneuverability I don't know as I haven't seen it stated one way or the other. Could the mothership haul it up out of the water? One would hope it could but with this guy?

The Alvin research sub is transported to dive sites on the deck of a dedicated mothership, which is outfitted with custom winches and a large crane that places it in the ocean.

In contrast, Titan had no dedicated mothership, and to cut costs it was towed out to sea on the fatal dive by a smaller chartered vessel, the Polar Prince.

The Polar Prince, a decommissioned Canadian Coast Guard icebreaker, was smaller and older than the ships OceanGate had used in previous years, in a cost-cutting move by Rush.

Using a tow cable, the ship dragged the Titan across hundreds of miles of open sea on top of the launch platform that was used to submerge and retrieve the sub.

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #509 on: July 16, 2023, 04:23:49 PM »
Beware of discount Titanic wreck tour tickets
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #510 on: July 16, 2023, 04:40:00 PM »
Found a photo of the Titan being hauled up onto it's mothership while on it's platform on a previous expedition but as stated in the above article and evidenced by photos Rush ditched that mothership for a cheaper one that had to tow the platform.

https://www.prestigeonline.com/sg/people/events/passengers-on-titan-titanic-submersible-dead/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 04:55:32 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #511 on: July 16, 2023, 04:57:44 PM »
We discussed this a bit a few pages back. Polar Prince has a pretty decent davitt on her gargo deck, that appears to be capable of moving 20ft connexs around.  The max weight of a 20ft box is like 52,000 lbs so plenty of grunt for the Titan.

Even if they couldn't lift the sub on deck, they could rig the lift and hold her at the surface while a swimmer popped the bolts and got the passengers put in an emergency.

Not making excuses for Rush's lack of planning,  but this particular piece of catastrophising is probably not an issue.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #512 on: July 16, 2023, 05:10:21 PM »
We discussed this a bit a few pages back. Polar Prince has a pretty decent davitt on her gargo deck, that appears to be capable of moving 20ft connexs around.  The max weight of a 20ft box is like 52,000 lbs so plenty of grunt for the Titan.

Even if they couldn't lift the sub on deck, they could rig the lift and hold her at the surface while a swimmer popped the bolts and got the passengers put in an emergency.

Not making excuses for Rush's lack of planning,  but this particular piece of catastrophising is probably not an issue.

Saw that in photos but was unsure if was still on board since all the photos I had seen previously showed her with it was while she was still painted in her coast guard colors. Apparently she was painted blue over the coast guard red in Oceangate service. All those photos I had seen previously after being painted blue where at the wrong angle or were too blurry

Guess it's still there

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #513 on: July 16, 2023, 05:30:07 PM »
Why mess with this whole platform business then? Seems like on the surface (unintended pun) using the platform system would greatly complicate both the journey to and from the wreck site and the process once there rather than just lift it down then back up on board instead.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 08:02:07 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #514 on: July 16, 2023, 07:54:09 PM »
Dunno.  Maybe the designer of this sub wasn't that good.  :laugh:

I note that the platform was part of the design even when they had a mothership that could get Titan on deck easily.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #515 on: July 16, 2023, 08:03:07 PM »
Dunno.  Maybe the designer of this sub wasn't that good.  :laugh:

I don't know what would have given you that idea :P
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #516 on: July 16, 2023, 08:11:03 PM »
Is lifting a vehicle via crane with occupants a standard, acceptable technique?  Seems like that could be a safety concern in and of itself.

Might be a good thing to plan for in an emergency, but maybe there was a good reason for that additional step and cost.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #517 on: July 16, 2023, 08:13:42 PM »
Is lifting a vehicle via crane with occupants a standard, acceptable technique?  Seems like that could be a safety concern in and of itself.

Might be a good thing to plan for in an emergency, but maybe there was a good reason for that additional step and cost.

Far as I'm aware they've been doing it that way with submersibles for decades.
If the sub can't withstand being lifted up on deck I ain't riding in it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #518 on: July 17, 2023, 05:04:21 AM »

Lifting people with cranes is common.  Man baskets, inside secured loads, as long as the people being lifted have something to keep them from falling out it's a generally accepted practice.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #519 on: July 17, 2023, 02:35:22 PM »
Some interesting pics of the building process in this video, as well as video from the MV Polar Prince on a previous trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm28gju5Brw

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #520 on: July 17, 2023, 03:51:44 PM »
Some interesting pics of the building process in this video, as well as video from the MV Polar Prince on a previous trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm28gju5Brw

Saw that this morning. He noted the viewport as far as we know has not been recovered.
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #521 on: July 19, 2023, 06:42:16 PM »
Two cents: Probably shattered in a dozen pieces, falling for a long distance, well scattered, and probaly also opticallly invisible.  (That's another two cents.)

Best hurry-up guesses of refractive indices:

Seawater 1.33-1.34 best guess

Teflon ("plastics?") 1.315

These numbers vary a bit depending on a lot of things like light frequency, temperature, blah-blah-blah, but you can see that even with the port still in one piece,  it would be hard to detect.

I should be charging five cents for that.

Sort of like looking at one of those "puree" marbles in a glass of water.  (For those of us who used to shoot marbles.)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 08:30:18 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #522 on: July 19, 2023, 11:24:50 PM »
Lifting people with cranes is common.  Man baskets, inside secured loads, as long as the people being lifted have something to keep them from falling out it's a generally accepted practice.

Have you ever seen the Hoya Lifts they use in hospitals and nursing homes?  It works in much the way as a lift for a car's engine.
If this "sub" was incapable of being lifted in similar fashion - - - .
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #523 on: July 20, 2023, 01:54:37 AM »
Have you ever seen the Hoya Lifts they use in hospitals and nursing homes?  It works in much the way as a lift for a car's engine.
If this "sub" was incapable of being lifted in similar fashion - - - .
  :facepalm:

But, but ... it was innovative. Revolutionary, even. A paradigm for a new generation of undersea exploratory vehicles.

And the CEO actually believed his own hype ...

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #524 on: July 20, 2023, 05:55:49 AM »
The Titan literally had lifting slings built in.  They are in every picture of it.