Author Topic: Direction of tail wag indicate emotion in dogs?  (Read 9569 times)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Direction of tail wag indicate emotion in dogs?
« on: April 25, 2007, 04:02:57 AM »
Interesting article, 'specially for dog owners and those interested in how may have brains evolved.

=================

April 24, 2007
If You Want to Know if Spot Loves You So, It’s in His Tail
By SANDRA BLAKESLEE

Every dog lover knows how a pooch expresses its feelings.

Ears close to the head, tense posture, and tail straight out from the body means “don’t mess with me.” Ears perked up, wriggly body and vigorously wagging tail means “I am sooo happy to see you!”

But there is another, newly discovered, feature of dog body language that may surprise attentive pet owners and experts in canine behavior. When dogs feel fundamentally positive about something or someone, their tails wag more to the right side of their rumps. When they have negative feelings, their tail wagging is biased to the left.

A study describing the phenomenon, “Asymmetric tail-wagging responses by dogs to different emotive stimuli,” appeared in the March 20 issue of Current Biology. The authors are Giorgio Vallortigara, a neuroscientist at the University of Trieste in Italy, and two veterinarians, Angelo Quaranta and Marcello Siniscalchi, at the University of Bari, also in Italy.

“This is an intriguing observation,” said Richard J. Davidson, director of the Laboratory for Affective Neuroscience at the University of Wisconsin in Madison. It fits with a large body of research showing emotional asymmetry in the brain, he said.

Research has shown that in most animals, including birds, fish and frogs, the left brain specializes in behaviors involving what the scientists call approach and energy enrichment. In humans, that means the left brain is associated with positive feelings, like love, a sense of attachment, a feeling of safety and calm. It is also associated with physiological markers, like a slow heart rate.

At a fundamental level, the right brain specializes in behaviors involving withdrawal and energy expenditure. In humans, these behaviors, like fleeing, are associated with feelings like fear and depression. Physiological signals include a rapid heart rate and the shutdown of the digestive system.

Because the left brain controls the right side of the body and the right brain controls the left side of the body, such asymmetries are usually manifest in opposite sides of the body. Thus many birds seek food with their right eye (left brain/nourishment) and watch for predators with their left eye (right brain/danger).

In humans, the muscles on the right side of the face tend to reflect happiness (left brain) whereas muscles on the left side of the face reflect unhappiness (right brain).

Dog tails are interesting, Dr. Davidson said, because they are in the midline of the dog’s body, neither left nor right. So do they show emotional asymmetry, or not?

To find out, Dr. Vallortigara and his colleagues recruited 30 family pets of mixed breed that were enrolled in an agility training program. The dogs were placed in a cage equipped with cameras that precisely tracked the angles of their tail wags. Then they were shown four stimuli through a slat in the front of the cage: their owner; an unfamiliar human; a cat; and an unfamiliar, dominant dog.

In each instance the test dog saw a person or animal for one minute, rested for 90 seconds and saw another view. Testing lasted 25 days with 10 sessions per day.

When the dogs saw their owners, their tails all wagged vigorously with a bias to the right side of their bodies, Dr. Vallortigara said. Their tails wagged moderately, again more to the right, when faced with an unfamiliar human. Looking at the cat, a four-year-old male whose owners volunteered him for the experiment, the dogs’ tails again wagged more to the right but in a lower amplitude.

When the dogs looked at an aggressive, unfamiliar dog — a large Belgian shepherd Malinois — their tails all wagged with a bias to the left side of their bodies.

Thus when dogs were attracted to something, including a benign, approachable cat, their tails wagged right, and when they were fearful, their tails went left, Dr. Vallortigara said. It suggests that the muscles in the right side of the tail reflect positive emotions while the muscles in the left side express negative ones.

While some researchers have argued that only humans show brain asymmetry — based on the evolution of language in the left brain — strong left and right biases are showing up in the brains of many so-called simpler creatures, said Lesley Rogers, a neuroscientist who studies brain asymmetry at the University of New England in Armidale, Australia.

Honeybees learn better when using their right antenna, she said. Male chameleons show more aggression, reflected as changes in body color, when they look at another chameleon with their left eye. A toad is more likely to jump away when a predator is introduced to its left visual field (right brain/fear). The same toad prefers to flick its tongue to the right side when lashing out at a cricket (left brain/ nourishment).

Chicks prefer to use their left eye to search for food and right eye to watch for predators overhead, Dr. Rogers said. But when chicks are raised in the dark, they do not develop normal brain asymmetry. In trying to eat and watch for hawks overhead, such nonlateralized chicks become confused and vulnerable to attack.

Sheep, which are good at recognizing individual faces, use the right sides of their brains for knowing a Dolly from a Molly.

Chimpanzee brains are asymmetrical in the same ways as human brains, said William D. Hopkins, a researcher at the Yerkes National Primate Center and psychologist at Agnes Scott College in Atlanta. When chimps are excited, they tend to scratch themselves on the left side of their bodies, reflecting strong negative emotions, he said. And left-handed chimps are more fearful of novel stimuli than right-handers. Their dominant right brains may make them more cautious.

Brain asymmetry for approach and withdrawal seems to be an ancient trait, Dr. Rogers said. Thus it must confer some sort of survival advantage on organisms.

Animals that can do two important things at the same time, like eat and watch for predators, would be better off, she said. And animals with two brain hemispheres could avoid duplication of function, making maximal use of neural tissue.

The asymmetry may also arise from how major nerves in the body connect up to the brain, said Arthur D. Craig, a neuroanatomist at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix. Nerves that carry information from the skin, heart, liver, lungs and other internal organs are inherently asymmetrical, he said. Thus information from the body that prompts an animal to slow down, eat, relax and restore itself is biased toward the left brain. Information from the body that tells an animal to run, fight, breathe faster and look out for danger is biased toward the right brain.

In this way, Dr. Craig said, animals are naturally designed to cope with changing environments.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/24/science/24wag.html?_r=1&ref=science&oref=slogin
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Direction of tail wag indicate emotion in dogs?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 05:36:55 AM »
"And left-handed chimps are more fearful of novel stimuli than right-handers. Their dominant right brains may make them more cautious."

FINALLY! I know why I react like I do!

I'm left handed!

Now shut up and give me a banana!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 05:59:45 AM »
Whose right and left, the dog's, or the person watching it?  laugh

Interesting article -- I'm gonna have to experiment on my buddy. I've always suspected that she's looked on me with disdain and derision every time I miss a bird. If her tail is pointing to the left when she gives me "the look" I guess I'll have empirical evidence.  smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 06:46:07 AM »
When dogs feel fundamentally positive about something or someone, their tails wag more to the right side of their rumps. When they have negative feelings, their tail wagging is biased to the left.

I wonder if this works with women as well ...Huh? 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 07:15:09 AM »
C'mon you guys, how can you believe this?  Dogs don't know their left from their right.   rolleyes

smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 07:25:15 AM »
C'mon you guys, how can you believe this?  Dogs don't know their left from their right.   rolleyes

smiley

Why do I have a funny feeling that my dog is smarter than a goat?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 07:32:14 AM »
Because you're a dog, and dogs aren't that bright, poor dears.  Tongue 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 07:32:51 AM »
Because you're a dog, and dogs aren't that bright, poor dears.  Tongue 

No, I'm a chimp, I've already established that above.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 07:34:19 AM »
Oh, then I'm surprised you can read this at all.   smiley

My mistake, I thought we were going by avatars.  Baa-aaa-aaa.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 09:31:33 AM »
but what about my terrier with the fashionable docked stump of a tail?

can he get some sort of an entitlement, so he can more fully express the left or right bias in his waggling?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 09:40:30 AM »

can he get some sort of an entitlement, so he can more fully express the left or right bias in his waggling?

Only if it is a bias towards the left may he get an entitlement.  Need to buy them votes.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 01:17:18 PM »
Ears close to the head, tense posture
I have never noted this to always mean "tense posture".  It is related to happy or relaxed. 
I always thought dogs looking to attack or confront kept ears up until they got in close. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 06:25:50 PM »
How you describe close to the head probably depends on the shape of a dog's ears. Big floppy ears make it harder to tell which direction they are going. My dog's ears are cut to roughly the same shape as a cat's. If he's out and about just paying attention to his surroundings they're perked right up. If he's relaxing around the house, or somewhere else surrounded by people he knows and likes they fly at "half-mast"  Basicly not perked up and pointing kind of out to the side. When he's ready to go for something, or starts stalking something (which is kind of amusing seeing as he's 120 pounds and usually stalks in the middle of an open field with no cover) they lay flat back on his head just like a cat's do when they're getting ready for a fight. I will say after reading this I'll have to look tomorrow morning when I get up to take him out. I'm pretty sure his tail wags to the left when he's happy and I know he always circles me counter clockwise for attention when I get home.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 07:47:25 PM »

My parent's bostons always seemed to work around that problem by wagging their entire hind ends.  It's pretty funny to watch.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 08:24:32 PM »
I have never noted this to always mean "tense posture".  It is related to happy or relaxed. 
I always thought dogs looking to attack or confront kept ears up until they got in close. 

You're reading selectively and arriving at the wrong conclusion.

Take the ENTIRE statement -- " (1) Ears close to the head, (2) tense posture, and (3) tail straight out from the body means (4) dont mess with me.

Read in its proper context the sentences actually says 1 AND 2 AND 3 EQUAL 4. It does not mean 1 EQUALS 2 if you discard 3 and 4.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 08:39:04 PM »
My chow-spitz is very catlike, and the position of her ears (and raised hackles) let me know when she's not happy about something. Press things further with her bad mood and that's when the lip curl, guttural growl, and exposed teeth send a clear message. An all-black dog showing white teeth over black gums and purple tongue will definitely get your attention. Because she's a Chow/Spitz (Ill-tempered Maverick missile w/faulty guidance system) I watch her body language pretty closely. About the only time I ever see the tail straight out is when she's sleeping. I don't see it as much of a flag, she has a lot more expression elsewhere on her frame. It doesn't move much, she has the typical tightly curled tail that rides over her back, so her entire back end waggles when she plays greeting committee to a select few individuals. As Alpha female in the pack, even at 45 pounds she dominates the hell out of her 100-pound housemate.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 10:57:46 PM »
When dogs feel fundamentally positive about something or someone, their tails wag more to the right side of their rumps. When they have negative feelings, their tail wagging is biased to the left.

I wonder if this works with women as well ...Huh? 
Tried a little experiment: visualized standing around waiting for a friend & it felt natural for my right hip to poke out. Imagined being annoyed and found my left hip cocked with my hand on it. Not having a true tail, I tend to rely on the optional neck swivel.  laugh
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 12:34:43 AM »
And here I was thinking you were just playing the hokey-pokey, LadySmith. grin
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 03:11:36 AM »
Since I like LadySmith, and we're all friends now, I won't make the obvious joke here.  So tempting. 

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 03:18:41 AM »
Doggone it, Wmenorr (pun intended), coffee hurts when it comes out the nose!  grin
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 05:08:48 AM »
I've been watching my Chow-Beagle-Shepherd mix (Nikky) closely the last two days.

She shows a STRONG left wag bias when she's happy.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 05:56:14 AM »
Doggone it, Wmenorr (pun intended), coffee hurts when it comes out the nose!  grin

Don't you know that it is milk and soda that are supposed to come out the nose?  Coffee is supposed to go up the nose. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 06:07:03 AM »

You're reading selectively and arriving at the wrong conclusion.

Take the ENTIRE statement -- " (1) Ears close to the head, (2) tense posture, and (3) tail straight out from the body means (4) dont mess with me.

Read in its proper context the sentences actually says 1 AND 2 AND 3 EQUAL 4. It does not mean 1 EQUALS 2 if you discard 3 and 4.
Okay.  Not very well written IMO. 
The mutts I had growing up; it seems to me they kept their ears perked if they were stalking or searching.  It was only when they attacked or a threat was close that they pulled them back.  The teeth are normal exposed by that time so it is not always noticed.  I would also mention the raised hair on their back, but perhaps that isn't very visible on some dogs.  When relaxed or among friends, their ears are laid down in a relaxed way.  There is also the way they carry their head in a submissive way or dominating/challenging way.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 06:11:34 AM »
Uhm... Actually, it's a well written sentence. Clear, concise, and to the point.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 06:16:22 AM »
To you at least.  I guess you consider yourself an expert editor or something.  Cheesy

I didn't read "tense posture" as being just another physical description but rather the perceived behavior.  It would have helped to say what physical traits "tense posture" is referring to.  Poor choice of terms would fit my opinion better I guess.