Author Topic: Aldi Winking Owl wine  (Read 3758 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Aldi Winking Owl wine
« on: July 25, 2023, 07:44:16 PM »
...at least for the cabernet, has gone with a twist off top instead of the corks they were using. First I've gotten in at least six months, or longer, so it may have been like this a while. Any of you guys go to Trader Joe's for their Two Buck Chuck?
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Aldi Winking Owl wine
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 08:46:09 AM »
...at least for the cabernet, has gone with a twist off top instead of the corks they were using. First I've gotten in at least six months, or longer, so it may have been like this a while. Any of you guys go to Trader Joe's for their Two Buck Chuck?

Used to be able to get Two Buck Chuck in Oregon at various grocery stores.  Had it once or twice.  Not bad for a cheap wine.  My parents really liked it and recommended it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 09:00:33 AM »
Is 2 buck chuck and Winking Owl a red, a white, or both?

I use reds mostly for cooking, but I occasionally like drinking white wine.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 09:29:39 AM »
The one I had IIRC, was a rose.  There are four other types, as well.  They sell a Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Grigio, and Pinot Noir.
TBC is essentially leftover wine from bottling runs from the Charles Shaw winery.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 09:37:52 AM »
I really like Aldi's cheap white sangria (Sangriana brand).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 10:46:20 AM by Pb »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 10:21:38 AM »
Is 2 buck chuck and Winking Owl a red, a white, or both?

I use reds mostly for cooking, but I occasionally like drinking white wine.

Winking Owl is a brand; they have about a half a dozen different wines, reds, whites, and rose.  I like the Cabernet and the Reisling.  Unfortunately the Aldis around here don't sell alcohol.  I'm less familiar with Trader Joe's wines, but Charles Shaw ("Chuck") also has different varieties.  HTH
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2023, 12:50:15 PM »
It's basically the Aldi "house wine," like Chuck is for Trader Joe's...

Generally fairly decent, and I think they consider it a loss leader to get people in the store.

If you're gonna howl,  you gotta have the owl.
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 05:16:20 PM »
At supper every night, I have a glass.  Depending on what I'm eating, it will be chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, or white zinfandel (a "blush").  They also have pinot grigio, sweet red, moscato, and cabernet sauvignon.  During warmer days, I'm more likely to eat lightly (chicken/turkey, fish, or pork) and go with one of the two whites.  When I start eating more beef in colder months, I'll drink the white zin or the cab.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 06:31:04 AM »
OK, I'm going to have to stop and give Winking Owl a try. The Aldis around here are FAR easier to get into than TJs...

I think TJ's real estate plan is "when selecting among multiple suitable sites, pick the site with the worst, most difficult to access/egress, and difficult to maneuver in, parking lot." I really think that's a corporate requirement.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 10:38:24 AM »
That, and I notice that Aldi shoppers are generally more polite to each other. Trader Joe's, and Whole Foods (which here are in the same large complex), seems to attract Karens.
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2023, 04:41:14 PM »
K Frame - FYI, the two Aldi's around here are now selling the Winking Owl for $3.45/750ml bottle.  At the end of last year,, they were only $2.95/bottle.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2023, 05:35:36 PM »
I know that it was the same price as Three Buck Chuck (which was $3 back in 2006 or so here in Missouri) up until recently...
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2023, 07:08:29 PM »
I know that it was the same price as Three Buck Chuck (which was $3 back in 2006 or so here in Missouri) up until recently...

I think Three Buck Chuck used to be Two Buck Chuck.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2023, 08:26:03 PM »
It was in California... Missouri had higher taxes on wine, etc...
Blog under construction

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2023, 06:12:32 PM »
Last bottle of chuck I got was $4 but it was a 2018 which was a good year for California Cabernets
What we have here is failure to communicate.