Author Topic: Decent price on SPAM for the emergency larder  (Read 4820 times)

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Decent price on SPAM for the emergency larder
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2023, 05:46:45 PM »
They love it in Hawaii. I had Spam & eggs at some hole-in-the-wall place on the North Shore that damn near changed my religion.

There is a chain of restaurants in Las Vegas called Babystacks. Hawaiian food among other things. Between Spam and eggs (with white rice of course) and their Loco Moco I don't need another breakfast joint.

https://www.babystacks-lv.com/our-menu

bob

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2023, 05:47:48 PM »
Heard spam pizza is popular in Hawaii
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2023, 07:36:44 AM »
I've had Spam on pizza.

It works.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2023, 07:38:13 AM »
Another use for Spam, courtesy of Scouts many years passed?

Creamed Spam on biscuits.

You do it exactly like creamed chipped beef, but with diced Spam.

I guess I know what I'm making for breakfast one of these weekends coming up... Sigh.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 07:59:19 AM by K Frame »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2023, 09:05:39 AM »
What do y'all think of the bacon spam?  I have a couple cases of that in my hurricane stash.  SPAM seems like one of the cheaper ways to add meat to your long term food storage.  I haven't gotten around to eating any yet.  I guess I need to do that.

https://www.amazon.com/Spam-Real-Hormel-Bacon-Ounce/dp/B000FINT78?pd_rd_w=ZylbO&content-id=amzn1.sym.1a072a44-84d1-4c51-bf0f-3547594e8217&pf_rd_p=1a072a44-84d1-4c51-bf0f-3547594e8217&pf_rd_r=J2GDT1AY3WNYZXGWGXPM&pd_rd_wg=AHbF3&pd_rd_r=88007a76-1066-4eae-be76-f9b7b13fa805&pd_rd_i=B000FINT78&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_1_ec_i
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2023, 09:08:23 AM »
What do y'all think of the bacon spam?  I have a couple cases of that in my hurricane stash.  SPAM seems like one of the cheaper ways to add meat to your long term food storage.  I haven't gotten around to eating any yet.  I guess I need to do that.

https://www.amazon.com/Spam-Real-Hormel-Bacon-Ounce/dp/B000FINT78?pd_rd_w=ZylbO&content-id=amzn1.sym.1a072a44-84d1-4c51-bf0f-3547594e8217&pf_rd_p=1a072a44-84d1-4c51-bf0f-3547594e8217&pf_rd_r=J2GDT1AY3WNYZXGWGXPM&pd_rd_wg=AHbF3&pd_rd_r=88007a76-1066-4eae-be76-f9b7b13fa805&pd_rd_i=B000FINT78&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_1_ec_i

The bacon flavor is so mild I hardy noticed it.
It's okay but if you're expecting it to taste like bacon rather than spam you'll be disappointed. It taste like reg spam with a bit of bacon flavor thrown in.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2023, 09:12:02 AM »
Ok.  So the $10 per case difference may not be worth it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2023, 09:15:36 AM »
Ok.  So the $10 per case difference may not be worth it.

I tend to thin slice and pan fry my spam and that may effect how much of the bacon flavor is detected so your mileage may vary on whether or it's worth it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2023, 09:28:28 AM »
https://www.spam.com/varieties

Spam
Spam  Lite
Spam 25% less Sodium
Spam Maple
Spam with Bacon
Spam Oven Roasted Turkey
Spam Hickory Smoke
Spam Hot and Spicy (I need to try that and the three below)
Spam Jalapeno
Spam Teriyaki
Spam with Tocono Seasoning

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2023, 09:34:45 AM »
I tend to thin slice and pan fry my spam and that may effect how much of the bacon flavor is detected so your mileage may vary on whether or it's worth it.
I was planning to use that method myself. 

And the hot and spicy does look interesting. 

I don't remember ever eating SPAM before.  I have been a little leary mainly as E.B. Sledge didn't have the best descriptions of SPAM in the Pacific during WWII.  I'll get over it.   =)

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2023, 09:38:35 AM »
I was planning to use that method myself. 

And the hot and spicy does look interesting. 

I don't remember ever eating SPAM before.  I have been a little leary mainly as E.B. Sledge didn't have the best descriptions of SPAM in the Pacific during WWII.  I'll get over it.   =)

I think many people opinions are of it straight out of the can. You can eat it that way but I personally would have to be in survival mode for that to happen
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2023, 09:39:13 AM »
https://www.spam.com/varieties

I usually get the less sodium one. Even with "less" sodium, there's enough in there to preserve it to practically Twinkie timeframes.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2023, 09:50:06 AM »

I tried it. I didn't care for it at all.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2023, 10:19:28 AM »
And today's deal is Kraft Mac and Cheese (Kraft Dinner, for you Canckastanis) for less than 75 cents a box!

Pair up a box of this with a can of Spam?

HEAVEN!

=D

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2023, 10:22:11 AM »
And today's deal is Kraft Mac and Cheese (Kraft Dinner, for you Canckastanis) for less than 75 cents a box!

HEAVEN!

=D

I always get the deluxe with the cheese in a packet. The powered cheese you have to reconstitute doesn't sit well with me.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2023, 07:12:37 PM »
Nothing says bring on the zombie apocalypse like 12 cans of Spam in the pantry.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2023, 08:14:20 PM »
By coincidence my friend wanted to visit a Polish-American grocery a few towns over. They had a lot of Eastern European offerings including Czech beer (yay!) and canned goods. I bought a can of Russian Tushonka because it's featured in the Stalker video game series as a staple food (initially referred to as Tourist's Breakfast). It was expensive, $17/24oz, but I've always wanted to try it. Haven't yet, but I can report the results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tushonka

My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2023, 07:28:11 AM »
"Literal "тушёнка" label is common for cheaper types, full of jelly and maybe using offal instead of meat. "

Looks like you bought a can of offal stew...  [barf]

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2023, 09:21:07 AM »

HEAVEN!

=D

Three boxes KM&C, one can SPAM (diced small), spice with Emeril's Essence, thyme and a pinch of oregano, or plain old salt&pepper. Makes for a tasty side dish that's super easy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2023, 09:29:42 AM »
Three boxes KM&C, one can SPAM (diced small), spice with Emeril's Essence, thyme and a pinch of oregano, or plain old salt&pepper. Makes for a tasty side dish that's super easy.

Brad

I wish to subscribe to your foodie newsletter...

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2023, 11:08:50 AM »
I wish to subscribe to your foodie newsletter...

On a flour tortilla place two slices SPAM and a heavy smear of cream cheese sprinkled with thyme. Heat open-face in microwave. Add bread & butter pickles, a drizzle of Creamy Italian dressing, and heap with shredded lettuce. Roll tightly and enjoy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2023, 11:23:50 AM »
^^^Hmmm.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2023, 05:04:28 PM »
Looks like you bought a can of offal stew...  [barf]

The "говядина," or "beef" part of the label leads me to believe that it's actual cow muscle. FWIW, the can itself does say "100% beef" on the back. I suppose I'll know for sure when I open it, as the appearance should be obvious which version it is.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2023, 07:54:39 AM »
MMMMMmmmmmm...

Spam and eggs for breakfast.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2023, 12:11:54 PM »
I think the last time I had eaten Spam was when I was stationed at Kaneohe Bay MCAS in the '70s.  Don't recall liking it all that much back then.  Went to the local VFW with my Dad for the Saturday morning breakfast yesterday.  One of the vets there is Hawaiian and he makes sure there is fried Spam available.  I tried some and it was surprisingly good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.