Author Topic: Godzilla Minus One  (Read 2406 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Godzilla Minus One
« on: September 04, 2023, 05:56:02 PM »
Bad Gojira aka Godzilla is back
Looks like they're going back to the original (No not that Raymond Burr Americanized reedited one) for inspiration for this one and it looks good.

GODZILLA MINUS ONE Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7DqccP1Q_4

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
Re: Godzilla Minus One
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 09:28:22 AM »
From the brief clip, it looks like as Godzilla was walking down the street, the crowd was also fleeing down the street, with no attempt to veer off at a right angle to the monster's path.

This happens a lot in the movies, whether the threat is a monster, a truck, a tank, or whatever. More drama, I suppose.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 09:33:34 AM »
From the brief clip, it looks like as Godzilla was walking down the street, the crowd was also fleeing down the street, with no attempt to veer off at a right angle to the monster's path.

This happens a lot in the movies, whether the threat is a monster, a truck, a tank, or whatever. More drama, I suppose.

Had the exact same thought seeing that and often do watching movies.
But I then I remember reading about how people react in crowds when the herd panic mentality kicks in and maybe most people would react that way as in going with the flow. Maybe instinct is to stick with the herd to give a predator like a lion another target other than you and nature didn't have 200ft stomping lizards in mind when it developed that strategy. Kind of like with opossums and cars, playing dead don't work with cars but instinct tells them to do so never the less.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 10:08:43 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 10:20:27 AM »
On the matter of his height the original 1954 Godzilla was suppose to be 164ft high with his height then rising somewhat to around 200ft after that in later movies.
In the more recent US made movies he's closer to 400. Not sure yet how high he's suppose to be in this movie, hard to tell from the trailer. My guess is somewhere in the middle.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 10:44:29 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 11:12:19 AM »
Notice when the man says "That monster will never forgive us"

Wonder if that statement is harking back to Godzilla (the bad one not the later clown) being a manifestation of the ghosts/spirits of the people Japan killed during the war and was their revenge. This was actually stated in one the (bad) Godzilla movies. Can't remember which one, may have been the original Gojira or one of the later ones. Most Americans have only see the American edited Raymond Burr inserted version, a lot of the original's messaging was removed in that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 03:36:32 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 06:27:36 PM »
(ゴジラ) Gojira!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2023, 12:04:14 AM »
A few new scenes in this one

GODZILLA MINUS ONE Official Trailer 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvSrHIX5a-0
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2023, 11:32:46 AM »
A few new scenes in this one

GODZILLA MINUS ONE Official Trailer 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvSrHIX5a-0
Silly looking toy tanks at about 1:21 in the trailer - Japan has over 300 Type 90s today and has made further developments as well.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2023, 11:43:31 AM »
Silly looking toy tanks at about 1:21 in the trailer - Japan has over 300 Type 90s today and has made further developments as well.

They look like Type 4 Chi-To tanks.
The movie takes place in the immediate aftermath of WW-II
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2023, 08:33:37 PM »
The Critical Drinker likes it says the movie has a surprisingly good deep human story to it.

The Drinker Recommends... Godzilla Minus One
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaOuuByiPDA
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2023, 09:35:59 AM »
Like crowds running away down the street, I'm always amused when whoever is escaping (good guy or bad guy) runs up the stairs, especially in a big industrial or factory building.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2023, 12:06:44 PM »
I saw it last weekend.  It is a great movie.  The story of the humans involved is actually pretty good.  Shakespeare compared to recent Godzilla movies.  Godzilla appears at different times throughout the movie. 

The whole movie is in Japanese with subtitles and takes place immediately after WWII.  For the reported cost of the movie, the effects are amazing.  I have heard people recommend seeing it on the biggest screen possible.  I can't disagree with that.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 01:42:17 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2023, 09:57:17 PM »
. . . The whole movie is in Japanese with subtitles . . .
Did they have subtitles for Godzilla's roars, too?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2023, 12:26:40 PM »
Did they have subtitles for Godzilla's roars, too?

咆哮!!!
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2023, 12:55:52 PM »
English subtitles

EHHHHHHHHHH-AHHHHHHH-OOOROOO
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2023, 02:27:32 PM »
咆哮!!!
translates as "growl" . . .  :rofl:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2023, 11:08:07 PM »
Do I need to see other Godzilla movies before I see it?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2023, 12:32:46 PM »

Someone who has actually seen it may disagree but from what I've seen in trailers and reviews I would say no.

Edit: On second thought you have to watch and memorize the American 1998 version  >:D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 01:02:08 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2023, 12:39:15 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2023, 01:30:09 PM »
No.  This is stand alone. 

Not affiliated with any other of the recent movies.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2023, 04:34:10 PM »
Pretty sure Perd was trying to make a joke.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2023, 04:36:33 PM »
Pretty sure Perd was trying to make a joke.

He still must be forced to watch the 1998 Godzilla  >:D
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2023, 11:31:00 PM »
I asked because I haven't seen any of the other movies.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2023, 09:34:17 AM »
I asked because I haven't seen any of the other movies.
This one pretty much starts at the beginning so there is no reason to see others. 

I am surprised you haven't seen any others.  Maybe it is a generational thing.  I grew up through the 1980's.  My brother and I were always looking for monster movies that might be played on various channels.  The UHF broadcast channels would often have monster movie nights or marathons.  Many of them were pretty bad, but our imagination filled in the gaps.
Maybe it is the result of cable and having hundreds of channels available.  We had an antenna.