Author Topic: Have you seen me? F-35 edition  (Read 2182 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Have you seen me? F-35 edition
« on: September 18, 2023, 10:51:11 AM »
Coming soon to a milk carton near you

Pilot ejects out of a F-35 and the plane keeps going. No one quite knows where it went.

Anyone with information about the jet's whereabouts is urged to contact JB Charleston Base Defense Operations Center at 843-963-3600.

F-35 jet reported missing by authorities after pilot ejects during 'mishap': Officials
https://www.foxnews.com/us/f-35-jet-reported-missing-authorities-pilot-ejects-mishap-officials

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Have you seen me? F-35 edition
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 11:09:44 AM »
Just saw this story, was about to post it too.

How weird.  "Need to punch out, but let me turn on autopilot first."  I guess it's courteous if you're over your home country in a defensive role, and the craft has enough control to auto-ditch into the ocean rather than auguring into a neighborhood.

Strange that the spokesman is asking for help finding it, but they aren't giving an approximate heading or anticipated range.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 11:20:41 AM »
Just remembered the "Cornfield Bomber"

Pilot ejected out of a F-106 after getting into a flat spin. After the pilot ejected the plane righted itself and kept going then "landed" in a cornfield with so little damage it was put back in service after minor repairs.

Cornfield Bomber
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornfield_Bomber
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 11:58:28 AM »
Was the plane running dark?  I thought they typically flew with transponders and such.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 12:06:47 PM »
Was the plane running dark?  I thought they typically flew with transponders and such.

Considering the 35 is "stealthy" radar tracking could be an issue if the transponder was off or otherwise not working..
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 12:11:38 PM »

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 12:25:57 PM »

I just read that the transponder wasn't working, because reasons.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/f-35-fighter-jet-missing-pilot-ejects-mishap-rcna105534
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 12:28:51 PM »
What, no AirTag?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 12:34:40 PM »
Anyone put up a E-bay listing yet?
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2023, 12:34:58 PM »
I just checked.  It's not in my back yard.  I'll bet that sucker hung a right and crashed out at sea.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 12:47:23 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 01:14:46 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2023, 01:31:09 PM »
^^^^

It's a F-35B, so Uncle Sam's Misguided Children are responsible for this one.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2023, 01:48:57 PM »
Considering the 35 is "stealthy" radar tracking could be an issue if the transponder was off or otherwise not working..
I've heard that F-22s operating near China "routinely" have radar reflectors to keep the Chicoms from getting a good idea of the actual stealth characteristics of the aircraft. It wouldn't surprise me if F-35s do something similar.

Some guys on the radio this morning were speculating that the woman piloting this aircraft may have punched out by mistake. The military seems to be a little more close-mouthed than usual in discussing this incident right now. Speculation is that the plane may have fallen into a lake.

Or maybe it came down in a field and Bubba hauled it into his barn, figuring "Finders, keepers."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2023, 01:53:57 PM »
Or maybe it came down in a field and Bubba hauled it into his barn, figuring "Finders, keepers."
Worked for Ukrainian farmers ...

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2023, 01:58:14 PM »
I can see a slight change in the USMC leaving the plane sequence now. It will be: if possible disconnect the autopilot, point nose at ground, initiate Martin-Baker egress system. Then again maybe the auto-eject just spit the pilot out on a whim, or stray voltage. This is one that may never be fully explained, whether the USMC figures it out or not.

bob

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2023, 03:21:51 PM »
The AI system on the F-35 mis-gendered the transgender pilot.  The pilot was so offended that 'she' punched out.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2023, 03:26:01 PM »
I can see a slight change in the USMC leaving the plane sequence now. It will be: if possible disconnect the autopilot, point nose at ground, initiate Martin-Baker egress system. Then again maybe the auto-eject just spit the pilot out on a whim, or stray voltage. This is one that may never be fully explained, whether the USMC figures it out or not.

bob

New variation of the old Marine joke.

Give three Marines three F-35s in a closed and locked hanger and by next morning one will be broken, one will be pregnant, and one will be missing.

In the old version it was bowling balls with the order slightly changed
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2023, 03:37:24 PM »
New variation of the old Marine joke.

Give three Marines three F-35s in a closed and locked hanger and by next morning one will be broken, one will be pregnant, and one will be missing.

In the old version it was bowling balls with the order slightly changed

They had a similar joke in the oil patch. An engineer, a lawyer, and a roughneck were each placed in a room with three 10lb steel balls and given five minutes to do something with them. The engineer spaced them out equidistant across the room. The lawyer moved them all into one corner. The roughneck broke one, lost one, and took one home in his lunch box.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2023, 04:39:41 PM »

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2023, 05:11:12 PM »
Biden: I almost lost my Corvette.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2023, 05:12:46 PM »
Biden: I almost lost my Corvette.

If only Corvettes had ejection seats...

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2023, 06:48:30 PM »
Military Personnel Seen Wandering Forest Pressing Button On F-35 Key Fob
https://babylonbee.com/news/marines-seen-wandering-forest-pressing-button-on-key-fob

Bad Luck: Military Announces Lost F-35 Was Carrying Epstein Client List
https://babylonbee.com/news/bad-luck-military-announces-lost-f-35-was-carrying-epstein-client-list
- Calvin and Hobbes

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2023, 08:14:23 PM »
I know its a B model now.  Facebook was NOT happy with my marketplace ad--but I did get some great messages!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2023, 08:15:47 PM »
Reported debris found that could be it
- Calvin and Hobbes