Author Topic: Restaurant chains announce price hikes in respose to California's new...  (Read 1797 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
$20 an hour minimum wage for fast food workers.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/mcdonalds-chipotle-hike-menu-prices-california-gov-newsom-approves-fast-food-minimum-wage

How long will it be before California Democrats start screeching about higher restaurant costs?

How long will it be (it's alluded to in the article) before the restaurant chains start taking additional steps to reduce staff?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Restaurant chains announce price hikes in respose to California's new...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 08:39:16 AM »
Repost from another thread but it fits here

McDonald's Now Offering 36-Month, 0% Interest Financing On All Value Meals
https://babylonbee.com/news/mcdonalds-now-offering-36-month-0-interest-financing-on-all-value-meals
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 09:32:56 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 09:17:56 AM »
$20 an hour minimum wage for fast food workers.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/mcdonalds-chipotle-hike-menu-prices-california-gov-newsom-approves-fast-food-minimum-wage

How long will it be before California Democrats start screeching about higher restaurant costs?

How long will it be (it's alluded to in the article) before the restaurant chains start taking additional steps to reduce staff?
And just wait until California creates the position of Restaurant Czar with sweeping new powers to regulate business operations - they'll probably fill that slot with someone like Wesley Mouch.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 09:21:23 AM »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 09:30:31 AM »
What about gas station workers?

My impression is this law only applies to some fast food workers.  Have any of you seen links that give the details?   
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 10:32:47 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 01:14:16 PM »
What about gas station workers?

My impression is this law only applies to some fast food workers.  Have any of you seen links that give the details?

A "grease monkey" becomes a fast food worker.  Imagine how "sanitary" they would be.  [barf]  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 01:32:48 PM »
A "grease monkey" becomes a fast food worker.  Imagine how "sanitary" they would be.  [barf]  :facepalm:
How is that different from the grease/oil fryers in fast food joints?  Just a different kind of oil/grease. 

It would be interesting if you could monitor fast food cooks versus auto shop workers and see who washes their hands more often. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 06:32:46 PM »
How is that different from the grease/oil fryers in fast food joints?  Just a different kind of oil/grease. 

It would be interesting if you could monitor fast food cooks versus auto shop workers and see who washes their hands more often.
Or licks their fingers before serving you.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 06:34:53 PM »
Or licks their fingers before serving you.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2023, 07:55:23 AM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 12:12:00 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2023, 08:19:00 AM »
California Proposes Another Minimum Wage Increase So People Can Afford Products Made More Expensive By Previous Minimum Wage Increase
https://babylonbee.com/news/california-proposes-another-minimum-wage-increase-so-people-can-afford-products-made-more-expensive-by-previous-minimum-wage-increase
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2023, 09:06:15 AM »
California Proposes Another Minimum Wage Increase So People Can Afford Products Made More Expensive By Previous Minimum Wage Increase
https://babylonbee.com/news/california-proposes-another-minimum-wage-increase-so-people-can-afford-products-made-more-expensive-by-previous-minimum-wage-increase

What's shocking me is that no one in the California government system is proposing price controls.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 09:19:03 AM »

What's shocking me is that no one in the California government system is proposing price controls.

They eventually will.  It's doubtful that any of the California government idiots remember or are aware about how badly wage and price controls failed during the Nixon administration.  Maybe with "The Right PeopleTM" implementing them, it will work this time.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2023, 09:38:57 AM »
California implemented price controls in 2020 and 2022.

In 2020 is was to prevent runaway prices on certain commodities during Covid.

In 2022 it was apparently limitations on price hikes on property insurance. That one apparently worked well... insurance companies simply canceled California policies and withdrew from the state.

But that's OK. California will insure people who lose/can't get property coverage. The only problem with that is that so many people are flocking to the program that it's going broke.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2023, 11:15:04 AM »

Anyone else notice how the bear in the flag is perfectly placed in the photo to appear as if it's licking Newsom's ear
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2023, 10:19:44 PM »

Petroleum based grease (inedible - actually poisonous) vs. grain based oils (corn, soybean, peanut, etc. - all edible).

In the late 80s, I was working in a fast food joint.  [barf]
Ten years before that, I was inspecting restaurants, grocers, water well, etc., in Missouri.
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2024, 07:17:31 AM »
How about $50 minimum?
$30 Big Macs coming right up

Rep. Barbara Lee in California Senate race says minimum wage should be raised to $50
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2024/02/15/barbara-lee-minimum-wage/72611446007/

"Can you explain how that would be economically sustainable for small businesses?" the moderator asked.

Lee said she owned and a ran a small business for 11 years. According to her website, she founded a mental health services organization called the Community Health Alliance for Neighborhood Growth and Education.

"I know what worker productivity means, and that means that you have to make sure that your employees are taken care of and have a living wage," Lee said at the debate.

Which probably survived on government grants

She cited a United Way report that an income of $127,000 for a family of four is "just barely enough to get by." (United Way Bay Area did not immediately respond to USA TODAY's request for a copy of the report).

So min wage is suppose to cover a family of 4 now?
But if you're using it to support a family of 4 how are you going to pay off that loan for getting that medieval transgenderism degree? Gee I wonder what her solution to that is? The world wonders.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 07:31:55 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2024, 07:57:46 AM »
Here's why that stupid bitch is proposing a $50 minimum wage...

"Schiff has maintained a comfortable lead in the polls for the last few months, and a recent poll from the University of Southern California describes a "deadlocked" race for second place between Garvey and Porter."

Flat out attempting to buy votes. Nothing more.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2024, 08:01:47 AM »
Here's why that stupid bitch is proposing a $50 minimum wage...

"Schiff has maintained a comfortable lead in the polls for the last few months, and a recent poll from the University of Southern California describes a "deadlocked" race for second place between Garvey and Porter."

Flat out attempting to buy votes. Nothing more.

Lee or Schiff?
Hmmm
One's a turd sandwich the other a turd sandwich with mustard
Choices choices
- Calvin and Hobbes

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2024, 08:07:00 AM »
So min wage is suppose to cover a family of 4 now?
But if you're using it to support a family of 4 how are you going to pay off that loan for getting that medieval transgenderism degree? Gee I wonder what her solution to that is? The world wonders.

Child workers. Just say the kids identify as skilled labor for that extra income =D
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2024, 08:08:17 AM »
You know, it just dawned on me...

Despite Lee's claims of knowing what it takes to run a small business and care for her people, nowhere in that article did it say HOW MUCH SHE PAID her employees.

I'd love to know what her least and best paid people were earning.

Something tells me that she wasn't exactly providing a living wage for her people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2024, 09:15:05 AM »
You know, it just dawned on me...

Despite Lee's claims of knowing what it takes to run a small business and care for her people, nowhere in that article did it say HOW MUCH SHE PAID her employees.

I'd love to know what her least and best paid people were earning.

Something tells me that she wasn't exactly providing a living wage for her people.

Something tells me she had no idea what she was paying her people.  And she likely didn't care.  She probably left that mundane stuff to management folks a step or two below her.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2024, 03:27:02 PM »
Something tells me she had no idea what she was paying her people.  And she likely didn't care.  She probably left that mundane stuff to management folks a step or two below her.

Of course she didn't know.  That way she has "deniable culpability".  :facepalm:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2024, 11:23:30 AM »
Apparnelly if a restaurant sells bread as a stand alone item they're exempt.
And guess who benefits big from this?

California's new $20 minimum wage rule will exempt restaurants that sell bread, handing a lucrative break on wages to the Panera chain and one of Governor Gavin Newsom’s longtime allies https://t.co/fvC7QCfTla
    — Bloomberg Markets (@markets) February 28, 2024
Governor Gavin Newsom pushed for that break, according to people familiar with the matter. Among the main beneficiaries is (Greg) Flynn, a longtime Newsom donor whose California holdings include two dozen Panera Bread locations.

How many other restaurants sell bread as a stand alone item?
I'm sure this is just a coincidence

Nothing to See Here! Newsom Crony is the Big Winner With New California Minimum Wage Exemption
https://twitchy.com/coucy/2024/02/28/california-minimum-wage-bread-exemption-n2393405
- Calvin and Hobbes

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2024, 11:45:14 AM »
To quote the Reason article on it, why wouldn't McDonald's et al simply start offering baked bread?
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!