Author Topic: More MS update follies  (Read 2735 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: More MS update follies
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2024, 11:15:01 AM »
24H2 will have bitlocker turned on by default even in the home ver
This is both good bad, good in that it will make people's PC more secure by default, bad in that if someone loses or forgets their key they're up the creek if they ever need to recover their data. 

Microsoft To Force BitLocker Encryption on Windows 11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyG3m_WxyLc

Had one this week.  Win11 update went wonky, never fully booting.  Could not do anything useful in recovery console until I got into her MS account for the bitlocker key.  Fortunately I had left the ms account info on the sales order from when I originally set the laptop up last year some time.  I was able to do a non-destructive Windows reset.

A lot of people are going to be just SOL when something like that happens.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2024, 12:34:31 PM »
Just noticed a W11 install from a year ago is now giving me a "MS Account Problem" warning and is telling me to sign in to my account, I'm not, when I boot it since the last update
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2024, 07:14:38 AM »
MS has started rolling out 24H2 into the release preview channel
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2024, 08:52:17 AM »
Just noticed a W11 install from a year ago is now giving me a "MS Account Problem" warning and is telling me to sign in to my account, I'm not, when I boot it since the last update

Now all my PCs since the last round of updates are all now telling me there's a problem with my MS account and I should log in. I have a MS account but I only log into it rarely as I don't normally need anything it offers beyond transferring keys to a new motherboard or similar. Appears MS is trying to goat people to stay logged in at all times now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2024, 11:29:00 AM »
Now all my PCs since the last round of updates are all now telling me there's a problem with my MS account and I should log in. I have a MS account but I only log into it rarely as I don't normally need anything it offers beyond transferring keys to a new motherboard or similar. Appears MS is trying to goat people to stay logged in at all times now.
I think I set up an MS account when I set up my current computer.  I see that "error" also and just ignore it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2024, 03:14:31 PM »

I've been getting warnings that "Your work settings are out of date."

I didn't know I had any work settings.

I think what's happening is that I continue to reject the imposition of the new Outlook in place of Windows Mail and Windows Calendar, and Mother Microsoft doesn't like it when we disobey her mandates.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2024, 03:19:40 PM »
I've been getting warnings that "Your work settings are out of date."

I didn't know I had any work settings.

I think what's happening is that I continue to reject the imposition of the new Outlook in place of Windows Mail and Windows Calendar, and Mother Microsoft doesn't like it when we disobey her mandates.

Hmm, now that you mentioned it around the time I started getting notices about the new Outlook and that I need to try it I noticed a problem copying and pasting stuff out of Thunderbird. Not sure if it's connected or just a random Thunderbird problem I just now noticed [tinfoil]
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2024, 04:00:55 PM »
After the last update on this Win10 machine I got a full screen warning that my computer didn't meet the spec's for Win11.  Didn't bother to read the entire thing, just closed it and went on.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2024, 05:09:26 PM »
Hmm, now that you mentioned it around the time I started getting notices about the new Outlook and that I need to try it I noticed a problem copying and pasting stuff out of Thunderbird. Not sure if it's connected or just a random Thunderbird problem I just now noticed [tinfoil]

Microsoft is pushing the new Outlook VERY hard. No matter how many times I reject it, they keep switching me over to it without my permission, so then I have to manually change back.

I have MS Office Professional -- 2016 on one computer, 2019 on another, and 2021 on a third. And I have MS Office Home and Business on my Surface tablet. All of those include the real Outlook -- with no ads interspersed with new e-mail messages. I have two e-mail accounts set up in [the real] Outlook. I have no problem with that. But I use the Windows Calendar for the simple reason that I can set a desktop icon for it and, when I need it, it opens directly into a calendar view. No need to open Outlook and then jump from mail to calendar, and then back. It works for me, and I have no desire to change. So I wish Microsoft would take a hint and just leave me alone.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2024, 05:20:17 PM »
MS: We're going to keep screwing with you until you switch to Linux
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2024, 10:45:29 PM »
MS: We're going to keep screwing with you until you switch to Linux.

Depending on how long this Windows 7 system with Office 2000 lasts, I'm watching what happens with Linux as my next desktop will likely have some version of that as well as "Open Office" or whatever free office program is out there.  Will also try to put GIMP on it to replace the PS 6 I'm using now.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2024, 10:52:20 PM »
Depending on how long this Windows 7 system with Office 2000 lasts, I'm watching what happens with Linux as my next desktop will likely have some version of that as well as "Open Office" or whatever free office program is out there.  Will also try to put GIMP on it to replace the PS 6 I'm using now.

Most flavors of Linux I've messed with come with LibreOffice already installed
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2024, 01:47:00 AM »
Most flavors of Linux I've messed with come with LibreOffice already installed

Almost all of them, I think.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2024, 02:40:53 PM »
Most flavors of Linux I've messed with come with LibreOffice already installed.

Good to know. Thanks.  I just couldn't remember the name of the program.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”