Author Topic: From 2 vehicles to none in 1 hour.  (Read 885 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
From 2 vehicles to none in 1 hour.
« on: April 15, 2024, 10:27:45 AM »
Unfreakinbelievable timing.
The new vehicle we ordered last year is on the dealers lot 50 miles away. Supposed to get it tomorrow 10 days short of 1 year.
I hand washed our ford fusion for the private buyer that wanted to get it yesterday and paid cash.
My wife picked me up in the rubicon and I drove home. Right away I said what the hell is going on with the Jeep? When did this start? She had no idea a brake is locking up and it’s like driving with one foot on the gas and one on the brake. Engine is working hard and tranny is downshifting.
I’m guessing it’s a brake hose collapsing when hot. It was fine after it cooled off and this morning.
ABS and TC lights came on briefly a couple times but I’m hoping the wheel drag triggered that and not the other way around.
Got it in the shop. If they can’t get it right today I’ll be renting a car to get home tonight and to go get another car tomorrow.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: From 2 vehicles to none in 1 hour.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 10:35:15 AM »
Embrace the chaos. Let it feed the darkness festering in your soul. Yes... good... I can sense your anger...

Seriously, that sucks. Glad the Fusion sale went through, and that the new ride is ready and waiting. Fingers crossed the Jeep is something simple.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 11:22:56 AM »
Unfreakinbelievable timing.
The new vehicle we ordered last year is on the dealers lot 50 miles away. Supposed to get it tomorrow 10 days short of 1 year.
I hand washed our ford fusion for the private buyer that wanted to get it yesterday and paid cash.
My wife picked me up in the rubicon and I drove home. Right away I said what the hell is going on with the Jeep? When did this start? She had no idea a brake is locking up and it’s like driving with one foot on the gas and one on the brake. Engine is working hard and tranny is downshifting.
I’m guessing it’s a brake hose collapsing when hot. It was fine after it cooled off and this morning.

I had exactly that happen with out Ford Escape earlier this year.  Would drive OK for a little bit, then start dragging hard.  Was high time to get the brakes looked at anyway.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 11:32:12 AM »
My wife is of the strong opinion that we sold the wrong vehicle.
I said we can manage with one vehicle for a couple days. What could go wrong?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 12:00:08 PM »
My wife is of the strong opinion that we sold the wrong vehicle.
I said we can manage with one vehicle for a couple days. What could go wrong?

Is she getting the Kia as her new primary driver?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 12:08:35 PM »
Does the wheel get Really Freakin' Hot? And does it pull to that side? Then it is the caliper piston not releasing, likely due to a bad hose. Been seeing that more and more. I'd almost guess that someone made the rubber all better...

If it is doing it on both sides, then you got more bigger troublems... Unless... problem with the parking brake?
Blog under construction

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 12:18:50 PM »
No problem with the ebrake. I used it instead of the foot brake driving home on the backroads and the brake drag improved by the time I got home just driving slow and avoiding brakes. Pretty hot day and wife had just driven on the highway and in town.
The left front felt hot but didn’t seem to pull to one side.
When it cooled off it was ok.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 01:50:50 PM »
Well it’s off to rent a car.
Jeep left front brakes dragging but needs rotors x4 pads all around front brake hoses, and a front wheel bearing.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 02:35:17 PM »
Jeep left front brakes dragging but needs rotors x4 pads all around front brake hoses, and a front wheel bearing.

She got that brake HOT.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 02:48:49 PM »
If you're doing it yourself, O'R will do 15% off on brake/rotor packages... Get the ceramic pads. You'll likely end up going with a new hub assembly, since most mechanics these days don't like dealing with bearings and hydraulic presses.
Blog under construction

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 04:17:28 PM »
I would do it myself but with picking up the additional part time job I don’t even have time to mow the grass.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 09:36:21 PM »
Cars and houses are aholes with ears and they know when you come into extra money or into inconvenient circumstances and react accordingly.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2024, 10:41:51 PM »
Cars and houses are aholes with ears and they know when you come into extra money or into inconvenient circumstances and react accordingly.
Amen, Brother Boomhauer, Amen.

Has me really wondering because I put new ceramic coated rear rotors, rebuilt calipers, new pads and hoses on the rear 12,000 miles and 3 years ago. How does this happen?
This shop has been great. They sent me a link to pics and video and a checklist of critical, recommended, and good in the inspection report. I have had no complaints with the service in the past.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 03:11:01 AM »
If you're doing it yourself, O'R will do 15% off on brake/rotor packages... Get the ceramic pads. You'll likely end up going with a new hub assembly, since most mechanics these days don't like dealing with bearings and hydraulic presses.

Doesn't matter. Jeep front hubs haven't been serviceable since about 1989 or 1990.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 07:54:49 AM »
Apparently it has become common for shops to always do rotors with pads. The rear rotors shouldn’t need replacing. Fronts are probably original and I won’t argue with that but I’m going to have a conversation with them this am.
Front wheel bearing is a hub assembly and I can do that myself once we get another vehicle. It’s not urgent and I haven’t checked it for myself yet.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2024, 07:55:03 AM »

Well that's about a billion dollars. Ugh.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2024, 09:13:51 AM »
My wife is of the strong opinion that we sold the wrong vehicle. . .
After reading this thread, I'd have to say that maybe, just maybe, she has a point.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2024, 11:49:54 AM »
Apparently it has become common for shops to always do rotors with pads.

Unless you have some kind of super-specialness high end rotors, it's cheaper to replace than resurface.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2024, 12:20:49 PM »
Unless you have some kind of super-specialness high end rotors, it's cheaper to replace than resurface.

Brad

For the do-it-yourselfer without a lathe, I can buy that.  For a shop (assuming they have a brake lathe) it's an hour of the guy's time, and $0.15 or so of consumables and they can charge $100 or so for it.  I have no idea why it seems most shops no longer bother to resurface.  I guess brake lathes are rarer in shops than they were when I started. There may also be some OSHA/EPA regs around machining rotors I'm unaware of.

That said, I have a lathe, and most of the time can't be assed to pull the gap bed and dial rotors in on my 3-jaw to turn them.  I just slap new ones on every 60k or so.  A Brake lathe makes it quick and easy though.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2024, 08:58:26 PM »
For the do-it-yourselfer without a lathe, I can buy that.  For a shop (assuming they have a brake lathe) it's an hour of the guy's time, and $0.15 or so of consumables and they can charge $100 or so for it.  I have no idea why it seems most shops no longer bother to resurface.  I guess brake lathes are rarer in shops than they were when I started. There may also be some OSHA/EPA regs around machining rotors I'm unaware of.

That said, I have a lathe, and most of the time can't be assed to pull the gap bed and dial rotors in on my 3-jaw to turn them.  I just slap new ones on every 60k or so.  A Brake lathe makes it quick and easy though.

Many of the newer rotors are thin enough that it precludes turning them.

An hour of labor = cheaper to replace. Turn rotors for $120-160 or replace them for same cost and the mechanic can’t grind them wrong either.

There are plenty of things that used to be rebuilt that don’t get it anymore. And most of them aren’t missed in the least.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2024, 09:22:38 PM »
I did the rear brakes last time. Rotors, rebuilt calipers, and pads, and hoses. If’n I had the luxury of doing them again myself (like if this wasn’t the only vehicle for 2 people going different directions with different schedules) I would replace pads and let them ride the premium rear rotors I put on 3 years ago. Lathe be damned let the pads seat themselves. That’s the old guy in me.
I did not have the luxury this time.
I just paid $1500 for brake work and new front hoses. But I have it back on the road and I can manage it from here.
Returned the rental vehicle and got my Jeep back.
We got the new vehicle today and wife drove it home with me following her in severe storms, lightning, wind and rain but got it in the garage before the hail thank you baby hey Zeus.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2024, 10:36:43 PM »
Kingcreek - are you using a "local shop" for your brake work or a "national chain"?
If it's a chain, which one?  My 2011 Elantra has almost 77K on the original brakes.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2024, 10:51:11 PM »
We charge $25 each for resurfacing - both sides at once,dedicated brake lathe... New ones are gonna run about $75 each. If they are warped, resurfacing them may get a bit of time, but it doesn't make them new. You probably do not NEED rotors.

There's no such thing as a ceramic rotor unless you are driving a supercar. You want the ceramic pads, because the cheap pads wear fast, and munge up the rotors. And you can still padslap with groovy rotors.
Blog under construction

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2024, 10:59:58 PM »
I've had the same happen with my two motorcycles over the last week.

The weekend of April 6th, I went on an offroad moto trip that required about 50 total miles of highway and another 30-40 miles of rugged jeep trail in the Superstition Mountains.  I opted to ride my old XR600 for that trip since it had so little highway travel, and it was a single day trip.  Somehow on that trip I imparted damage to the front brake rotor and noticed it oscillating loudly and even bouncing the caliper a bit on the highway jaunt back home at the end of the day.  I was beat and didn't do anything to investigate the damage, figured I'd save it for another weekend since I had my Tuareg going fine.

The weekend of April 13th, I went on a 3 day camping offroading trip that required several hundred miles of highway and probably 200 miles of varied forest road and two-track, in the Crown King and Prescott areas of Arizona.  I took the Tuareg because I needed camp gear and it was supposed to be less aggressive trail than the previous trip that I took the XR on, and I couldn't take the XR anyways since it had a messed up front brake setup.

There's a stretch of forest road called Old Senator Highway that is anything but a highway, and suffers frequent washouts and condition changes.  It was more rocky than I was hoping for and I hit a pretty good sized rock at about 20mph or so, and dented my front rim on the Tuareg and knocked a spoke loose.  The front wheel design of the Tuareg has the spoke heads in the sidewall/rim area of the tire and the nipples in the hub of the tire, and the loose nipple rattled loose and got lost through the day.  I was able to recover the spoke undamaged but the nipple was lost.  There's a tangible dent in the rim.  I've dismounted the tire from the rim and the bike is up on blocks.  I've got a local shop that does rim repair, but he won't begin work until I have a replacement nipple for the spoke.  I've spoken to my Aprilia dealer and have a nipple on order, but I'm irked that they don't have it in stock.  It's a $1.50 part that I'm now paying $12 in shipping for, and have no concrete lead time on its arrival.  The last time I needed Aprilia parts, I waited about 4 months for something as mundane as a kickstand spring mount.

I'm down to 0 motorcycles right now, and I loathe commuting in a car (Jeep).  I should have parts for the XR by the end of the week or this weekend, and it's a quick fix for that one.  But that bike doesn't even have a keyed ignition, is barely street legal even by Arizona standards (and those are low), and I always worry riding it around town either for my safety or for its security if I go in to any store briefly, or leave it in my work parking lot for hours.

I do have my Wrangler right now so I'm not without transportation.  Knocking on wood as I post.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2024, 11:43:01 PM »
AZ, Is the spoke nipple OEM weird or what? Can't you just get a replacement from Buchanans or some other wheel builder?