Author Topic: GREEN SLAVE GIRL AVIATRIX  (Read 1605 times)

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • But they're SUPPOSED to be "military-style."
GREEN SLAVE GIRL AVIATRIX
« on: July 06, 2024, 12:22:40 PM »
GREEN SLAVE GIRL AVIATRIX

Funny the things you turn up with search engines.  One of my "Who'da thunk it?" discoveries...

I ran across a pic of the green slave girl in Star Trek and got curious as to who that was.

It was an actress named Susan Oliver and poking around,

"For the fantasy sequence in the pilot, in which her character appeared as an 'Orion slave girl,' Oliver was covered in green makeup all over her body, and a dark brunette wig.[6] A still of her with green skin is frequently seen in the end credits of the television series, and it has since become an iconic image of Star Trek. Hence, the 2014 documentary about Susan Oliver's life was titled The Green Girl.[7]

But I found she was an accomplished pilot with an interesting story.  She started out being scared of flying, then an obliging pilot took her up for a "comforting" flight and the piloting bug got at her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Oliver

Reading her piloting history is kind of amazing.  Sort of a latter-day Earhart except apparently she didn't crunch any kites.

At one point, Lear wanted her to demonstrate their jets (Wikipedia):

"In 1968, she was contacted by Learjet to see if she was interested in obtaining a type rating on one of their jet planes with the intent to set record flights for them. She earned the rating and even flew some charters (having by that time acquired a commercial pilot certificate in single- and multiengined land airplanes), but did not fly any record flights in their jets."

Who'da thunk it?

Terry, 230RN

Note:  I believe Yvonne Craig also played the green girl.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 12:41:21 PM by 230RN »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: GREEN SLAVE GIRL AVIATRIX
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2024, 11:03:49 AM »
"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2024, 11:50:57 PM »
Susan Oliver - b. 2/13/32; d. 5/10/90; lung cancer at 58. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0647010/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_0_nm_8_in_0_q_susan%2520oliver

Yvonne Craig - b. 5/16/37; d. 8/17/2015; breast cancer at 78.  https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0186051/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_0_nm_8_in_0_q_Yvonne%2520Crai
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2024, 08:23:38 AM »
Is the green slave girl the star of the next Star Trek reboot?
Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?
--Thomas Jefferson

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2024, 09:56:47 AM »

I wouldn't know.  I kinda lost interest in Trekiness a long time ago.  The premise offered literally an infinity of plot opportunities, but the inevitable sameness of the situation regardless of version or reboot or characters got kind of boring.

After a while I got to expecting "Exploratory Vessel"  to run into a planet (or time value) of early cavemen and something-something "happens" where they can't contact or return to the aforementioned "Exploratory Vessel" until "whoopdee-do" happens and they're back on "Exploratory Vessel" and a humorous remark is made... cue theme, roll credits.  <eyeroll 1>

I remember they did one for earth, early sixties, but maybe that was the closest they got to a caveman era.  In this vein, there was one early time plot that made Teri Garr (yum!) a star and was unusual enough that I enjoyed it... especially the MacGuffin of having a cat which finally showed up in human form (meow!).  Forgot that one-shot actress' name.

Especially irksome throughout that niggled at me was having the Master of the "Exploratory Vessel" go into the dangerous situation himself (or "wokey" Mistress herself.) It is not impossible that in all of humanity and all of time, I may be the first person to have ever pointed this out. <eyeroll 2>

Like expecting Eisenhower to put on full battle rattle with canteen and grenades and pick up an M1 to  go shooting Germans directly.

Beam me up. <eyeroll 3>

Terry, 230RN

ETA clarification:  In fiction, a MacGuffin (sometimes McGuffin) is an object, device, or event that is necessary to the plot and the motivation of the characters, but insignificant, unimportant, or irrelevant in itself.[1][2][3][4][5] The term was originated by Angus MacPhail for film,[2] adopted by Alfred Hitchcock,[1][2][3][4][5] and later extended to a similar device in other fiction.[4](Wiki)

"If you put a gun on the fireplace mantel in the first act, you must use it by the third." Origin unknown.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 10:54:30 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2024, 10:15:08 AM »

After a while I got to expecting "Exploratory vessel"  to run into a planet (or time value) of early cavemen and something-something "happens" where they can't contact or return to the aforementioned "Exploratory Vessel."

Beam me up.

The beam me up part created a lot of plot traps to write around and they even said as much later on. They created the transporter because it was a cheaper effect than a shuttle but doing so painted them into plot corners of somehow having people get trapped in a plot line when they could normally just beam them out of whatever trouble they were in.

Especial;y irksome throughout that niggled at me was having the Master of the "Exploratory Vessel" go into the dangerous situation himself (or "wokey" Mistress herself.)

Nature of episodic TV at the time when your big star is the captain and you have a very limited budget. Something they somewhat fixed in TNG and onwards.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 10:46:50 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2024, 10:45:57 AM »

"Girl" needs to be in quotes for the reboot
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2024, 11:01:11 AM »
The beam me up part created a lot of plot traps to write around and they even said as much later on. They created the transporter because it was a cheaper effect than a shuttle but doing so painted them into plot corners of somehow having people get trapped in a plot line when they could normally just beam them out of whatever trouble they were in.

Nobody said it was perfect.  I certainly didn't.  I went along with it for a long time and it was one of my favorites shows with forgiveable faults, but after a while....

Nature of episodic TV at the time when your big star is the captain and you have a very limited budget. Something they somewhat fixed in TNG and onwards.

Defend, defend, defend...

"Nobody said it was perfect.  I certainly didn't.  I went along with it for a long time and it was one of my favorites shows with forgivable faults, but after a while...."

And I am not privy to the later "fixes."  By that time, I reckon Trekiness was lost in time for me.  It was like milking a dry teat.

Oh, is the new woke Captainess a transexual?  "What a sparkling, earth-shaking new concept to sucker in another X% of viewer market share!  Great concept, Sandy!  Oh, and you have a run in your stockings and your leg hair is showing through.  Oh, sorry, I shouldn't have said 'sucker.'  My bad."

Set phasers to boring.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 11:29:57 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2024, 11:41:09 AM »
Never said those weren't issues just gave the reasons why those issues occurred.
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2024, 04:57:05 PM »
^ OK,but thanks for the opportunity to spell out more reasons I split paths with the Star Trek franchise.  I was interested in how this actress whose iconic image came to represent Star Trek became a very accomplished aviator.

"A still of her with green skin is frequently seen in the end credits of the television series, and it has since become an iconic image of Star Trek. Hence, the 2014 documentary about Susan Oliver's life was titled The Green Girl.[7]"

I erred when I said she overcame her fear of flying by being taken up in a plane.  She did that through hypnosis: "She eventually underwent hypnosis to overcome her fear of flying."

I was also interested in the legal history of that model of the Enterprise which appeared in your OP:

https://armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=69043.0

See Reply #  7 therein.

Oh, and the Teri Garr (yum!) and Isis the cat (meow) episode.  The first "Trouble With Tribbles" was great, too.

But otherwise, for most of the later spin, spin, spin, spinoffs....

Set interest level to meh.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 05:14:02 PM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2024, 05:04:30 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2024, 05:25:17 PM »
"Hey, how about a planet where the rocks themselves are alive and self-aware!"

"Great idea, George!  Why don't you flesh it out a little to discuss next week?"

Pete laughs aloud... "Fleshing it out... Good one, boss."

"Shut up, Pete. OK, you head the living rock team now..."

Pete mumbles, "Aw, Crap..."

Kirk drawing down on the silicon-based life form called the Horta, which was only protecting its little rock eggs.

Terry rubs chin, thinks "Well, Hogan's Heroes with its off-the-wall plots was supposed to be a comedy... but this...?"

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 11:17:48 PM by 230RN »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2024, 11:59:40 PM »
Oh, and the Teri Garr (yum!) and Isis the cat (meow) episode

That episode was 'Assignment: Earth' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assignment:_Earth

April Tatro was the name of the actress who was Gary Seven's cat.

Gene Roddenberry hoped the episode would serve as a pilot for a new series following the adventures of Gary Seven on 20th century Earth.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2024, 12:05:11 PM »
Yep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assignment:_Earth

I liked the deal where Isis walked on his back while he was up on the launch structure diddling with the rocket.  I had many a cat crawl on me while I was lying down.  The episode was kind of hokey and discombobulated but I sure liked most of it.  Especially Teri Garr (yum!).  No wonder that role solidified her career.

(Would you like to roll in the hay with me?  It feels so good. [Paraquote from that Fronkensteen movie.])

But it wasn't until much later that I found out that my discomfort was because of that forced mix between a good new plot structure and stirring in chunks of Star Trek bait.  (This insight was from older independent sources other than Wikipedia.)

I think the Gary Seven / Isis combo was a good plot premise, and those bones have provided a good framework for a number of other things.

No wonder it was popular, and no wonder it stuck in my mind despite my general loss of interest in Trekistuff.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 12:54:50 PM by 230RN »

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2024, 01:16:25 PM »

This is exactly why I haven't yet introduced transporters in my sci-fi writing, at least the type that can transport a sentient life form and expect it to survive the trip. I did, however, back myself into a little bit of a corner after book 3 when it occurs to the main characters that they can use their material transporter as a weapon - simply "beam" the enemy on board and watch them die on the spot. So then I had to be clever enough to invent scenarios where they couldn't just use that technique to win every battle.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2024, 01:26:04 PM »
This is exactly why I haven't yet introduced transporters in my sci-fi writing, at least the type that can transport a sentient life form and expect it to survive the trip. I did, however, back myself into a little bit of a corner after book 3 when it occurs to the main characters that they can use their material transporter as a weapon - simply "beam" the enemy on board and watch them die on the spot. So then I had to be clever enough to invent scenarios where they couldn't just use that technique to win every battle.

Or something ST nearly always ignored, the ability to beam a bomb on board the other ship or disable it by beaming away a part of it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2024, 04:03:55 PM »
Or something ST nearly always ignored, the ability to beam a bomb on board the other ship or disable it by beaming away a part of it.

Well, yes... didn't they beam all the Tribbles onto the enemy's ship in one script?

That was one episode that stuck in my mind, and apparently is consistently fan-voted the best, IIRC.  I remember feeling sorry for the Tribbles. 

Set Enterprise to ASPCA.

Terry, 230RN

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2024, 04:19:15 PM »
But didn't they beam all the Tribbles onto the enemy's ship as one solution?

(That was one episode that stuck in my mind, and apparently is consistently fan-voted the best, IIRC.)

Terry, 230RN

Why I said "nearly always". There was a few times here and there over the decades someone in the writing dept figured out a creative way of using the transporter.

If you liked The Trouble with Tribbles episode you may also want to see the DS9 episode Trials and Tribble-ations which is also a fan favorite https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trials_and_Tribble-ations
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2024, 06:44:54 PM »
Just watch the entire run of DS9 if you haven't already. It's peak Star Trek.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2024, 01:37:12 AM »
WLJ, you quoted me before I changed that "But," which I thought made it sound like I was disagreeing with you. I changed it to "Well, yes... didn't they..."

Folks, don't misunderstand me.  I used to love it but after awhile it lost interest in if for the reasons I mentioned above... that is, I got tired of the formula.

I said,

---------------
I wouldn't know.  I kinda lost interest in Trekiness a long time ago.  The premise offered literally an infinity of plot opportunities, but the inevitable sameness of the situation regardless of version or reboot or characters got kind of boring.

"After a while I got to expecting "Exploratory Vessel"  to run into a planet (or time value) of early cavemen and something-something "happens" where they can't contact or return to the aforementioned "Exploratory Vessel" until "whoopdee-do" happens and they're back on "Exploratory Vessel" and a humorous remark is made... cue theme, roll credits.  <eyeroll 1>
---------------

---------------
Writer's Room... Coffee cups, half eaten danishes, five writers, ties undone...

Past scripts:
a+b=c
d+e=f
g+h=i
Fresh ideas:
A+B=C
D+E=F
G+H=I
"Here's a new plot idea,Chief !  How about
b+a=c !"
"Well, that generates another new idea !  How about e+d=f !"
"Brilliant, Chief !  And that's why you're the Head Writer !"
-----------------

Bored yet?

This is not to say I would not enjoy a fresh approach as suggested with Deep Space 9.

But I've got enough things that involve and interest me that I would not be motivated to seek out an "entire run of DS9."

Set z equal to y + x

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 02:19:06 AM by 230RN »

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2024, 02:09:26 AM »
Duplicate post.  I hit the quote instead of modify button again.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2024, 08:16:59 AM »

Shields block transporter beams.  That precludes using one in active combat, and it would be pretty trivial to have smaller shields around important parts (computer cores and the like) that are up at all times.

As far as beaming weapons: Star Trek Lore is their explosivesre almost all matter/antimatter reaction devices, and transporters can not beam antimatter.  It's possible they should have dug an old nuke out of a museum somewhere, but again, remember the lore:  THis is an exploration vessel out on a vouage of discovery.  They are armed for self defense, but it's unlikely they would have had boutique, antique weapons.  Capt. Cook didn't have trebuchets and ballistas aboard the Endeavor even if it might have helped against some natives.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2024, 09:21:04 AM »
dogmush commented:

"Shields block transporter beams.  That precludes using one in active combat, and it would be pretty trivial to have smaller shields around important parts (computer cores and the like) that are up at all times."

So the Klingons (or whoever) must have had their shields down when they beamed all the Tribbles at them?

With respect to the impracticality of shielding individual critical components is concerned, I'm sure they'd be able to do it in a trice if the plot line called for it.

"As far as beaming weapons: Star Trek Lore is [that] their explosives [a]re almost all matter/antimatter reaction devices, and transporters can not beam antimatter."

Obviously, you can't have electrons get mixed up with positrons during the transfer and have them try to orbit nuclei with negative antiprotons, now, right?  Apposites ottract.  And once again, "I'm sure they'd be able to do it in a trice if the plot line called for it."

I comment thusly not for the sake of obtaining orthodox answers, but just because it's amusing to see the attempts at doctrinal consistency.  At one point I was tempted to request a writer's guide, but that urge evaporated.

As stated, I got just plain bored with Star Trekiness years ago and was only interested and amused to find Susan "Green Girl" Oliver was so into aircraft and flying.  This, with a nod to Yvonne Craig, who sure looked good in that Batgirl outfit.

I kept thinking, "Ooooooo --I'm a mosquito.  Eat me."

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 10:05:22 AM by 230RN »