Author Topic: Jalapeño poppers on the grill  (Read 505 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Jalapeño poppers on the grill
« on: September 01, 2024, 06:48:59 PM »
I can’t recommend based on todays experience.
I swim at the YMCA and people often bring extra garden produce in and leave at the front desk. Free for the taking.
There was about 1/4 bushel of beautiful big jalapeño peppers Friday. I thought hell yes I’ll make some poppers. I brought home 8.
Browned some deer sausage and onion in a cast iron skillet. Lightly oiled and toasted the peppers. Cored the peppers and stuffed with the sausage/onion and some cream cheese and shredded cheddar. Wrapped with bacon and cooked on the grill.
Holy hell I like hot peppers but this just made me sweat fire.
My wife took one bite before eating the stuffing and bacon and leaving the peppers.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Jalapeño poppers on the grill
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 07:48:13 AM »
Yeah... pepper roulette.

I bought some jalapenos a couple of years ago for something. Of the 5 or 6 that I got, all of them were mild... except for the one that was Satan's Super Nova.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 08:39:49 AM »
Years ago when I had the big garden, I learned that peppers will cross pollinate.
I had bell peppers too close to jalapeño and habenero plants. I had some mild hot peppers and some hot bell peppers.
These were beautiful big jalapeño grown by somebody that knew to let them ripen on the plant until dark green and barky with the little brown striations.
If there is a lot there again this week, I might get enough for the wife to make her “booger jelly”. It’s a sweet jalapeño pepper jelly with orange zest. Makes a fabulous glaze for grill smoked chicken.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 08:46:18 AM »
"It’s a sweet jalapeño pepper jelly with orange zest. Makes a fabulous glaze for grill smoked chicken."

Oooh that sounds good!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 04:23:12 PM »
One of the little people near me grows some evil little buggers and unloads them to restaurants and farmers market buyers... Have ice cream handy. Southeast Asia can make south of the border cry...
Blog under construction

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2024, 09:59:41 AM »
Yeah, garden-grown jalapenos, especially legacy varieties, tend to be a crap shoot in terms of heat.

Personally, I like to let them ripen to red. Sweetens them up. Problem is, once they start turning it's like a giant neon "Free Food!" sign for every bird and bug in the county.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2024, 02:10:20 PM »
One of the little people near me grows some evil little buggers and unloads them to restaurants and farmers market buyers... Have ice cream handy. Southeast Asia can make south of the border cry...
The greenhouse guy I used to get started plants from once gave me a beautiful little pepper plant. Dark green with pretty little red peppers. Tai “Bird’s Eye” peppers. Yes hot hot hot 🥵
I ate the leftover poppers cold and they were even better.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2024, 07:30:23 PM »
The greenhouse guy I used to get started plants from once gave me a beautiful little pepper plant. Dark green with pretty little red peppers. Tai “Bird’s Eye” peppers. Yes hot hot hot 🥵
I ate the leftover poppers cold and they were even better.

I was finally able to grow some Carolina Reaper peppers in WA state before I left there. It was close because of the shortness of the growing season and the length of time to mature the peppers. I started with a pretty nice plant indoors long before sticking it in the ground. They *may* be just a little warm for normal use. I love making jalapeno poppers on the Traeger.

bob