Author Topic: Help me pick a knife  (Read 2226 times)

Chris

Help me pick a knife
« on: June 25, 2007, 08:39:07 AM »
One of the local Boy Scout troops is doing a Wilderness Survival weekend in the early fall, and a second in the spring.  The idea is to teach the boys some outdoor survival skills before they take a big high adventure trip next summer.  Anyways, I'm Cubmaster of a feeder pack, and know severla of the leaders who know my background (Eagle Scout, Army, outdoorsman, etc.).  Anyways, they've asked me to help teach some of the sessions, and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to teach reality vs. Bear Grylls (Man vs. Wild on Discovery channel, which I enjoy watching and laughing at, but don't see it as practical in most situations).  Anyways, in looking through my gear over the weekend, I remembered that I sold my big knife off years ago.  I used to have a big 8"-10" knife that was my survival knife back in the day, that I wore strapped to my back pack unless I was in camp.  Anyways, the fixed-blade knives I have now are an  old Cold Steel Mini-Outdoorsman, with a 4" blade, a Kershaw with a 3" blade, and a Gerber Guardian I used to wear on my web gear.

So, with about $150 max available burning a hole in my pocket, I want to buy a bigger knife.  Something simple, strong, and realistic.  I mean, no Rambo hollow handled gizmo, but a good solid knife.  I like the looks of some of the Ontaria Knife Company knives, but am looking for input before i make a purchase.  here's what I'm looking for:

1.  5"-8" blade.  Not looking for a short sword or a machete.
2.  Handle material is unimportant to me, but must be durable.
3.  Good solid sheath that is capable of being worn on teh belt and/or strapped to my pack.  Type of material is unimportant.

Please make any suggestions you might have.  And, as a note, I teach the kids to carry multiple knives, if you will. I suggest that they carry a multi-tool/swiss army knife and a bigger folding or sheath knife.  I have a couple of good folding knives from Gerber, Benchmade, and Cold Steel.  It's just the   

Stickjockey

• friend
Re: Help me pick a knife
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 08:43:09 AM »
Sounds like your basic Ka-Bar to me. $50-ish bucks most places.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:14:09 AM »
my basic go to knife is a SOG Ranger

http://www.absoluteknives.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=S24

It is just a simple durable knife. 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TMM

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 09:15:48 AM »
i had a few rough ideas for you, but i think i'm going to second the Ka-Bar. tough leather handle, steel takes a good edge, etc. i have one my grandfather used in one of the wars, and it's solid and sharp as anything. only thing i don't know about is edge retention...

~tmm

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 09:22:12 AM »
I have to admit that as a style I like the Tanto-style blades. I find them to be somewhat more durable than the standard rounded point, especially when you're doing things with them that you really shouldn't...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

client32

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 09:56:27 AM »
I agree with Mike on the Tanto-style blades.  I have grown accustom to them as of late.

I have seen ka-bar with this style of blade before.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Some Knives From My Experience
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 10:02:15 AM »
You will probably get plenty of feedback on the popular brands.

Allow me to suggest some alternatives.

The first candidates will be from Ragnar's Forge (www.ragweedforge.com) and will all have one thing in common:  they are all of Scandinavian design.
First up, from this page
This is "A combination of the 3 7/8" puukko and the 7" leuku in a double sheath."  These cost somewhere around $125-$150.

I have this in stainless.  Wife got it for me three years ago.  Sharp, tough, gorgeous.  You will note that these knives are designed for ADULTS, and have no finger guard.

Also see the Swedish Mora page here for a range of simple, tough, versatile knives, for example:
This 5 3/4" stainless knife:
selling for under $20 (don't be fooled, it's serious hardware),

and the 8" version of that same design:
selling for just over $20 (similarly serious hardware).

Farther down the page, we find:
This 8 3/4" carbon steel number
selling for close to $40,

and a smaller (7") one of that design
selling for about $35.

Now, in case you're worried that you're not spending enough, we can always go to the Norwegian knives.  The fit & finish and aesthetics of these knives and their scabbards is a solid step up.

From this page:
We find such gems as this 6" blade
and here the price is edging up into the respectable range, at $99.

Here's another pretty one
for right around the same money.

Finally, from this page:
we have some delightfully utilitarian entries, like this 8" Leuku
for about $95,

and a finger guard version in an 8" blade
for about $110.

Browse around Ragnar's Forge.

There's some fine material there.

There is another Scandinavian maker that he evidently doesn't capture, and that's the Marttiini line of knives.

I have a whole set of these.  Inexpensive, sharp as the dickens, and durable.

Here are some teasers:

About 5 inches long

A number of places carry Marttiini, like NordicArts.com and AGRussell.com and, having used Scandinavian knives for years (I still have the one I got in Stockholm in 1973; handle is beat up, but it still does the job) I can recommend them as an alternative to the more popular "high tech" knives you will find elsewhere.

Anyway, those are some thoughts from my own collection.

Heck, I didn't even get into my Ontario, Glock, Gerber, Buck, Kabar, Linder, Cold Steel, CRKT, and Kershaw offerings.

I'm sure someone else will cover those.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 10:28:16 AM »
I'm biased in favor of carbon steel and inexpensive.  Easier to touch up the edge than stainless.   And if it gets lost, it's not an emotional upset or much of a financial loss.

Lots of beautiful knifework out there, but I've not seen that it "works" in camp than the old standbys...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Chris

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 10:53:10 AM »
Anyone have any experience with the Ontario Knife Company products?  They look pretty good for the price, but are they a case of a good buy, or a case of "you get what you pay for"?

Also, on SOG knives, the Ranger looks good, but the SEAL Pup looks like a less expensive alternative.  Anyone with experience?

And, on the mention of KaBar's, (realizing this is probably a dumb question, but I was in the Amry so have no experience) does the handle stand up well to abuse?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 11:04:39 AM »
Anyone have any experience with the Ontario Knife Company products?  They look pretty good for the price, but are they a case of a good buy, or a case of "you get what you pay for"?

Also, on SOG knives, the Ranger looks good, but the SEAL Pup looks like a less expensive alternative.  Anyone with experience?

And, on the mention of KaBar's, (realizing this is probably a dumb question, but I was in the Amry so have no experience) does the handle stand up well to abuse?

I have no experience with the SEAL Pup and its only $12 less.  The serrated portion on the Ranger works slicker than snot on a deer's sterum and pelvis. I've dressed a lot of game with it and used it around camp and haven't had to put an edge on it since my father gave it me in 2000. Still just as sharp as it came from the factory.

I really don't tend to use my big knife as much as my pocket folder.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 11:05:24 AM »
I agree -- carbon steel or high carbon stainless.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 11:41:26 AM »
1.  5"-8" blade.  Not looking for a short sword or a machete.
2.  Handle material is unimportant to me, but must be durable.
3.  Good solid sheath that is capable of being worn on teh belt and/or strapped to my pack.  Type of material is unimportant.
I've got knives that would fit the bill by Randall (Model 1), Cold Steel (the SRK model), and Buck - the last two are well under your $150 price point . . . plus my Dad's old "Commando Knife" from WWII ("Kinfolks" I believe) and a couple of various German and other fixed blade sheath knives. The all work well, but again, the SRK and Buck would easily fit your price point.

As an aside . . . I'm not really a "pro" at sharpening knives, so I use what some may call a crutch - a Lansky Knife Sharpener. Even I can get a "shaving sharp" edge on any knife (assuming decent steel) using one of these.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 11:44:18 AM »
I used to be extremely good at sharpening knives.

Then, as I got older, my eyesight started to get bad, and that make it a LOT harder to get and keep the proper angles while sharpening a knife by hand.

That's when I went to the Lanskey system, and it was one of the best moves I ever made.

auschip

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
If you want to go custom, check www.americankami.com

I just ordered one from him, and he has a couple completed on his website at right about your budget. 

JAlexander

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 01:04:39 PM »
I like Bark River knives a lot, and the Canadian Camp Knife might suit you.  A2 is good steel, and Mike Stewart makes a great knife.

http://www.ecommerce-shopping-cart.us/mcknight/index.php?action=category&id=22&subid=151

James

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Sharpening
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 01:34:59 PM »
I used to be extremely good at sharpening knives.
Ha!

However, when my eyes started to go bad, I switched to the Braille method.

grin
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 03:37:55 PM »
Ontario's okay. A Ka-Bar is hard to beat tho... I've also got one of the Busse offshoot knives - wombat or swamp rat or marmot or something... VERY nice knife.

Kids need to know that a small knife is FAR more useful than a huge knife.
Blog under construction

Ron

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 04:32:03 PM »
Oooh, I'm gonna get me one of those SOG Ranger's. Very utilitarian and surprisingly light.

It will be my backpack knife, the last defense against crazed black bears, lol.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 04:55:06 PM »
Oooh, I'm gonna get me one of those SOG Ranger's. Very utilitarian and surprisingly light.

It will be my backpack knife, the last defense against crazed black bears, lol.

copy cat!! 

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Gerber Mark II
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 06:02:14 PM »
I am gonna reply before reading all the others...

Gerber Mark II
Here is the Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerber_Mark_II

I bought one of these puppies in the 1980s.  Quite a strong, practical 6 1/2"  knife.  Built like a brick *expletive deleted*it house.  Mine looked like this, with the nylon sheath:

I freaked out some buddies in a college dorm by cutting up a honeydew melon with one.  The Resident Assistant was informed I had a weapon.  Whe nhe confronted me, I broke out another honeydew melon, cut it open, gave him a slice, and soothed the savage functionary.

The Mark I is a bit smaller, and the Guardian was identical to the Mark II, but without serrations.

I have seen them go for as little as $125-$150, but the early production blades are pricey (1966/67).

Here is one priced at $100.  That is a STEAL.
http://www.us-army-navy-surplus.com/us_made_knives.htm
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Chris

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 06:16:39 PM »
In no particular order:

I appreciate and agree that a small knife is, in many circumstances, more valuable than a large knife.  At the same time, we have to agree that in some circumstance, for some tasks, a large knife is invaluable.  Such as shelter building or other tasks that require cutting decent sized branches.  Yes, I'd prefer a hatchet, and will have one.  But, the idea is to demonstrate different tools for the tasks.  Plus, I alredy have smaller knives, and want a bigger one to have in my gear box, if you know what I mean (and I'm sure you all do).

I have the Gerber Guardian, and it is a great smaller knife.  BUt, it's design is primarily a fighting knife.  I cannot use it to inch think branches by beating the spine with a log to drive it through the wood.  That's the kind of durabiity and abuse I'm talking about having a knife stand up to.

And, another question I just thought about in the shower...do the rubber/kraton/etc. handles stand up to serious use/abuse, or am I better off with something a bit harder, like the KaBAr leather or cord wrapped all steel?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 06:36:15 PM »
Haven't bought blades in a while.  A crotchety old fart of a knifesmith in Sacramento took me under his wing for a few years, and had me making blades out of O-1 carbon steel, 154CM, ATS-34, and Sanmai (like Damascus) for a while.

We played with several designs. If he sold them, he gave them goofy names, for example, a "Mrs. Doubtfire Kitchen Fighter" in ATS-34 w/black micarta scales:

When he learned I was heading off to Desert Shield/Desert Storm, he made me a totally sterile "Field & Bloodstream" Model out of O-1 (parkerized) and red linen micarta.  He told me if I brought him back an Iraqi ear, he'd refund my purchase price.  I hauled ass out of his shop and headed for my truck.  He asked me where I was going.  "7-11 to get your ear!"  The knife flew in my helmet bag for many, many WC-135 and B-52 sorties.

I've also got one of his 154CM "Bootfighter" knives w/brass handguard and black linen micarta scales:

When I go deer hunting, on my belt is his 154CM "Skinner" with red/black linen scales:

One of the best things he ever taught me was to use the Lansky sharpening system, in conjunction with a good leather barber's strop.  All of these blades will shave your arms to the smoothness of a baby's behind, with the hair jumping off the blade as you shave your face/arms/whatever.  The edge-holding properties of plain old O-1 tool steel is phenomenal.  I used the Field & Bloodstream above to chop ice off the main landing gear of my WC-135 one cold Fairbanks morning.  I figured afterwards that I had surely rolled the edge.  Nope, still razor sharp.  That's a darned good blade.  I'm gonna have to give the old guy a call and see what he's up to these days.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 01:31:20 AM »
Cold Steel SRK or something by Bark River.  Fallkniven products also look good, although I don't have any experience with them.  But they look good. 

And, another question I just thought about in the shower...do the rubber/kraton/etc. handles stand up to serious use/abuse, or am I better off with something a bit harder, like the KaBAr leather or cord wrapped all steel?

I think you will find that the rubber and kraton handles are, like a synthetic rifle stock, plain but dead-functional.  They are definitely more practical than cord-wrap and at least as durable as leather.  Micarta may be better, though. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 04:27:59 AM »

I've worn mine for several hunting seasons and haven't damaged the rubber handle on it. I've washed it in the sink quite a few times also.

SOG builds a tough but reasonable priced knife.

Uranus is a gas giant.