Author Topic: Military people, question  (Read 2511 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Military people, question
« on: September 11, 2007, 05:18:13 PM »
I just broke into my emergency stash, and for fun, ate two MREs for dinner.  White rice, and meatloaf with gravy.
Now, my question, is this going to give me the trots?

Bigjake

• friend
Re: Military people, question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:21:55 PM »
Smiley

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:22:21 PM »
this will make you wonder, its stolen from an old email/

Only those that have served and eaten MRE's can truly appreciate this...

I had a date the other night at my place. On the phone the day before, the girl asked me to "Cook her something she's never had before" for dinner.

After many minutes of scratching my head over what to make, I finally settled on something she has DEFINITELY never eaten.

I got out my trusty case of MRE's. Meal, Ready-to-Eat. Field rations that when eaten in their entirety contain 3000+ calories. Here's what I made:

I took three of the Ham Slices out of their plastic packets, took out three of the Pork Chops, three packets of Chicken-a-la-King, and eight packets of dehydrated butter noodles and some dehydrated/rehydrated rice. I cooked the Ham Slices and Pork Chops in one pan, sautéed in shaved garlic and olive oil. In another pot, I blended the Chicken A-la-king, noodles, and rice together to make a sort of mush that looked suspiciously like succotash. I added some spices, and blended everything together in a glass pan that I then cooked in the oven for about 35 minutes at 450 degrees.
When I took it out, it looked like, well, ham slices, pork chops and a bed of yellow poop. I covered the tops of the meat in the MRE cheese
(kinda like Velveeta) and added some green sprinkly thingies from one of my spice cans (hey, if it's got green sprinkly thingies on it, it looks fancy right?)

For dessert, I took four MRE Pound Cakes, mashed 'em up, added five packets of cocoa powder, powdered coffee cream, and some water. I heated it up and stirred it until it looked like a sort of chunky gelatinous organism, and I sprinkled powdered sugar on top of it.

Voila - Ranger Pudding.

For alcoholic drinks, I took the rest of my bottle of Military Special Vodka (yes, they DO make a type of liquor named "Military Special" ⬠it sells for $4.35 per fifth at the Class VI Store) and mixed in four packets of "Electrolytes - 1 each - Cherry flavored" (I swear, the packet says that). It looked like an eerie Kool-Aid with sparkles in it (that was the electrolytes I guess ... could've been leftover sand from Egypt).

I lit two candles, put a vase of wildflowers in the middle, and set the table with my best set of Ralph Lauren Academy-series China (that *expletive deleted*it is EXPENSIVE ... my set of 8 place settings cost me over $600), and put the alcoholic drink in a crystal wine decanter.

She came over, and I had some appetizers already made, of MRE spaghetti-with-meatballs, set in small cups. She saw the dinner, saw the food, and said "This looks INCREDIBLE!!!"

We dug in, and she was loving the food. Throughout the meal, she kept asking me how long it took me to make it, and kept remarking that I obviously knew a thing or two about cooking fine meals. She kind of balked at the makeshift "wine" I had set out, but after she tried it I guess she liked it because she drank four glasses during dinner.

At the end of the main course, when I served the dessert, she squealed with delight at the "Chocolate mousse" I had made. Huh? Chocolate what? Okay ... yeah ... its Chocolate Moose. Took me HOURS to make ... yup.

Later on, as we were watching a movie, she excused herself to use my latrine. While she was in there, I heard her say softly to herself "uh oh" and a resounding but petite fart punctuated her utterance of dismay.

Let the games begin⬦

She sprayed about half a can of air freshener (Air Freshener, 1 each, Orange scent. Yup. The Army even makes smell good) and returned to the couch, this time with an obvious pained look.

After 10 more minutes she excused herself again, and retreated to the bathroom for the second time. I could hear her say "What the hell is WRONG with me???", as she again sends flatulent shockwaves into the porcelain bowl. This time, they sounded kinda wet, and I heard the toilet paper roll being employed, and again, LOTS more air freshener.

Back to the couch. She smiles meekly as she decides to sit on the chair instead of next to me. She sits on my chair, knees pulled up to her chest, kind of rocking back and forth slightly. Suddenly, without a word, she ROCKETED up and FLEW to the bathroom, slammed the door, and didn't come out for 30 minutes.

I turned the movie up because I didn't want her to hear me laughing so hard that tears were streaming down my cheeks.

She came out with a slightly gray pallor to her face, and said "I am SOOOOOO sorry. I have NO idea what is wrong with me. I am so embarrassed; I can't believe I keep running to your bathroom!!"

I gave her an Imodium AD, and she finally settled down and relaxed.

Later on, she asked me again what I had made for dinner, because she had enjoyed it so much. I calmly took her into the kitchen and showed her all the used MRE bags and packets in the trash can.

After explaining to her that she had eaten roughly 9,000 calories of "Army food" she turned stark white, looked at me incredulously, and said "I ate 9,000 calories or dehydrated food that was made 3 years ago?"

After I concurred, she grabbed her coat and keys, and took off without a word.

She called me yesterday. Seems she couldn't *expletive deleted*it for 3 days, and when she finally did, the smell was so bad, her roommate could smell it from down the hall. She also told me she had been working out nonstop to combat the high caloric intake, and that she never wanted me to cook dinner for her again, unless she was PERSONALLY there to inspect the food beforehand.

It was a fun date. She laughed about it eventually, and said that that was the first time she'd ever crapped in a guy's house on a date. She'd been so upset by it she was in tears in the bathroom while I had been in tears on the couch.

I know, I'm an ahole, but it was still a funny night.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 05:32:42 PM »
Dasmi,  I am not nor have ever been in the military, but I occasionally survive weekends (and up to five days during hunting season)at my property in northern Michigan on MREs, and have never had any *ahem* "evacuation" problems.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 06:16:03 PM »
I usually experience the exact opposite of the "trots."
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 06:16:45 PM »
Oh god, that's worse.  My stomach just made a weird noise...

mfree

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 06:50:08 PM »
"Now, my question, is this going to give me the trots?"

I as well experience quite the opposite, although I fear I could power a genset solo for a few days afterwards...

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 06:59:26 PM »
It all depends on what you ate and how much.

After a few days of them in a row, getting rid of them is more of a problem than keeping them in.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 07:00:13 PM »
You're going to get the trots, or you might get bound up. There is no happy medium that I'm aware of. Probably not a great idea to eat multiple MRE's in one sitting.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 07:07:47 PM »
But the rice made such a lovely side dish.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 07:13:22 PM »
Holy crap boys...
I feel for you people who have to eat this *expletive deleted*it on a regular basis.  Remind me to rotate MREs OUT of the stockpile. 
My stomach is on fire.  It's interesting, though, my farts smell just like the meatloaf did before I ate it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 07:23:29 PM »
Constipation is the usual complaint.  I don't know why some people have such problems with them, but I've got a pretty strong stomach.  You may ship unwanted MREs to my address. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 07:25:25 PM »
I usually have a strong stomach as well.  I wonder if maybe they weren't all that fresh...

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 07:30:13 PM »
Holy crap boys...
I feel for you people who have to eat this *expletive deleted*it on a regular basis.  Remind me to rotate MREs OUT of the stockpile. 
My stomach is on fire.  It's interesting, though, my farts smell just like the meatloaf did before I ate it.

Oh they smell that good.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 07:38:42 PM »
Beans and mothers...

And in the mid eighties, you DID NOT want to get the Dehydrated Pork Patty. That was just raunchy... The dehydrated beef thing wasn't all that bad tho...

Anything that had chicken in it, and was all schmoosched up, was something you didn't want.

Blog under construction

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 01:21:05 AM »
hee hee,,,I keep about 30 MRE's here just in case of one disaster or another. So one day I opened one up with the family for kind of an indoc to them and me actually so there wouldn't be any surprises should we actually need them. I liked the cracker cookie thing with the balckberry jam. I can't remember which one we opened. Sweet and sour chicken maybe. Irt was ok. A while back someone told me which ones to avoid but I don't remember what they were anymore, I just know I don't have any of them.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 02:45:17 AM »
What to avoid is up to the person.  Myself I cannot stand the omlet.  Where is the sick and puke smiley.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 02:49:41 AM »
I just broke into my emergency stash, and for fun, ate two MREs for dinner.  White rice, and meatloaf with gravy.

Probably not.  Instead, you probably won't *expletive deleted*it for a few days, and then when you do it'll be impressive.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 04:44:03 AM »

Probably not.  Instead, you probably won't *expletive deleted*it for a few days, and then when you do it'll be impressive.
That is what happened to me.  My body held on to "it" like it was gold, then suddenly gave it all up at once.  If you are out in the boonies when you finally get rid of them, make sure to dig your cat hole extra deep.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 06:16:55 AM »
What to avoid is up to the person.  Myself I cannot stand the omlet.  Where is the sick and puke smiley.

Yeah, it looks like the smiley puked in the omelet bag. Yukkers!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 06:34:25 AM »
I've eaten a lot of MREs and never had any intestinal distress one way or the other. But living in South America for 2 years and lots of trips to Mexico will kind of immunize you in that department.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 06:37:04 AM »
I've eaten a lot of MREs and never had any intestinal distress one way or the other. But living in South America for 2 years and lots of trips to Mexico will kind of immunize you in that department.

I think it has more to do with the fact it's dehydrated or compressed, high in preservatives, and extremely high calorie.  The average meal is 2500 calories.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 01:50:02 PM »
I was raised in The States, (had never been elsewhere until I joined the military) and have never had much of a problem with MRE's.  But then, I really don't keep track of how often my bowels move, or the results thereof.  Nor would I subject others to such details.  I'll have to work on that.  Why would I care if I don't go for a day or two?  In the field, that was usually an advantage. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RGO

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 02:08:40 PM »
I don't know why everyone says MREs have 3600 (or more) calories.  They contain about 1200 calories on average.

Here's an obligatory Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meal%2C_Ready-to-Eat

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 01:52:43 PM »
There is a warning about eating nothing but MRE's for more than, what? 30 days? After that it can do unhealthy things to you.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.