Author Topic: How was your flight?  (Read 10918 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: How was your flight?
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2024, 05:26:25 PM »
No thanks. Sounds to me like a lot of commie gobbledygook

You must not be familiar with the management style of Jack Welch.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2024, 07:40:58 PM »
You must not be familiar with the management style of Jack Welch.

Neutron Jack.

Thankfully my time at GE wasn't very long.  They were still dumping the bottom 10% each year though they ended that practice not long after I left.  It was a very destructive policy.  I can work to clear out deadwood for the first few years. But after that you start having to cut people that aren't THAT bad.  And then decent employees refuse to do anything that might help someone else avoid the cut, because otherwise they're more likely to be cut themselves.
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2024, 11:01:29 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2024, 09:12:28 AM »
Neutron Jack.

Thankfully my time at GE wasn't very long.  They were still dumping the bottom 10% each year though they ended that practice not long after I left.  It was a very destructive policy.  I can work to clear out deadwood for the first few years. But after that you start having to cut people that aren't THAT bad.  And then decent employees refuse to do anything that might help someone else avoid the cut, because otherwise they're more likely to be cut themselves.
I knew a guy who worked for Exxon.  He said they did a form of that.  Seemed a bit odd to me.  A competent manager who hires a decent team underneath him is still forced to fire or micro-manage some people each year.  Does he then start hiring people just for cannon fodder?  At some point, they should start looking at who they are hiring.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2024, 08:37:26 PM »
I knew a guy who worked for Exxon.  He said they did a form of that.  Seemed a bit odd to me.  A competent manager who hires a decent team underneath him is still forced to fire or micro-manage some people each year.  Does he then start hiring people just for cannon fodder?  At some point, they should start looking at who they are hiring.

That's where DEI rears its ugly head.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2024, 06:13:00 PM »
Does he then start hiring people just for cannon fodder? 

Of course they do. They do that even in organizations without a former stack ranking policy and I'm sure it's just worse in ones that do.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2024, 01:57:31 PM »
Boeing 767 lands nose first during emergency at Istanbul airport.  No front landing gear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u1_Iz8d0zg

Successful landing.  A bit rough I am sure.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2024, 09:21:42 AM »
A little bumpy or why it's a good idea to always wear your seat belt

Of course the article then has to go into Boeing's problems

'Everyone not wearing a seatbelt was launched into the ceiling and broke straight through it': Passenger on board Singapore Airlines jet from UK describes turbulence that killed 'Brit, 73,' as images show destruction on board
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13442643/Everyone-not-wearing-seatbelt-launched-ceiling-broke-straight-Passenger-board-Singapore-Airlines-jet-UK-describes-turbulence-killed-fellow-flyer-images-destruction-board.html

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2024, 09:40:22 AM »
6,000 feet in five minutes doesn't sound terribly extreme. 1200 feet per minute, 20 feet per second. That's not even 1 G.

Such holes in the air aren't uncommon. A had a cousin who was a flight attendant for United Airlines. He was badly injured when a flight she was working hit a hole in the air and she struck the cabin roof, then the deck. It was months before she was able to return to work, she continued to have back problems, and she eventually took a medical retirement.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2024, 09:43:07 AM »
6,000 feet in five minutes doesn't sound terribly extreme. 1200 feet per minute, 20 feet per second. That's not even 1 G.

No it's not but there are signs that there was moment or two in there that the rate was way higher causing people to slam into the ceiling hard enough to causes dents and even kill someone.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 10:59:45 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2024, 12:35:06 PM »
This only reinforces my belief of wearing my seatbelt whenever my butt is in the seat.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2024, 12:43:31 PM »
This only reinforces my belief of wearing my seatbelt whenever my butt is in the seat.

Before I worked for the big G, I was always cavalier when flying. Ignored the stewardess briefings, only wore the seatbelt when required, etc. After the first time I was sent to aviation water survival school,  that kind of woke me up. Anytime I have flown since then, the seatbelt is always on when I'm in the seat. When I board the plane, the first thing I do is find my exits and reference points, and I always give full attention to the stewardess and anything coming over the speaker.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2024, 01:26:50 PM »
^^^I actually count the number of rows to the emergency exit front and back from my seat.  I figure if I am evacuating in the dark, upside down, or otherwise disoriented, I can still feel for the seats and count.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #163 on: May 21, 2024, 02:09:21 PM »
^^^I actually count the number of rows to the emergency exit front and back from my seat.  I figure if I am evacuating in the dark, upside down, or otherwise disoriented, I can still feel for the seats and count.

That's exactly what they teach at ASTC school. It's all about reference points, and for stuff like helos, apparently most of the crashes end with you being inverted. In fact the dunkers (at least the ones I was in for initial and refresher) are designed to only sink inverted, and you have to do at least a couple of iterations wearing a flight helmet and blinders to train you for finding reference points in the dark.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2024, 02:18:31 PM »
I pay for exit rows.  If anything goes down, I'll revert to my Infantry roots.  "Follow Me"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #165 on: May 21, 2024, 02:37:48 PM »
That's exactly what they teach at ASTC school. It's all about reference points, and for stuff like helos, apparently most of the crashes end with you being inverted. In fact the dunkers (at least the ones I was in for initial and refresher) are designed to only sink inverted, and you have to do at least a couple of iterations wearing a flight helmet and blinders to train you for finding reference points in the dark.

God those were fun. Dilbert Dunker, then the helo dunker. Have a seat, wait till you hit the water and are completely upside down before starting egress. What, you want to see, that isn't possible because you will be wearing goggles but when you can finally see blow some bubbles and follow them to the surface. We also did open ocean stuff, float, swim, get picked up by helo. That was always a fun few days going to DWEST (Deep Water Environment Survival Training). I never take off my seat belt unless I am getting out of my seat.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2024, 02:58:22 PM »
God those were fun. Dilbert Dunker, then the helo dunker. Have a seat, wait till you hit the water and are completely upside down before starting egress. What, you want to see, that isn't possible because you will be wearing goggles but when you can finally see blow some bubbles and follow them to the surface. We also did open ocean stuff, float, swim, get picked up by helo. That was always a fun few days going to DWEST (Deep Water Environment Survival Training). I never take off my seat belt unless I am getting out of my seat.

bob

I would have loved to do the open ocean stuff, but I got screwed and pretty much every time went to Lemoore NAS. They kinda had a torture chamber to simulate open ocean stuff ("Disneyland but the rides ain't fun" is how I think the instructors put it) where you would do a "helo lift" but with a crane while some big nozzles shot pressurized water at you, and the parachute platform, where you'd get hooked to a winch that would not gently pull you off a platform into the water and drag you across the pool while you unhooked you harness.

I gotta say that the navy had that training down, even taking people who couldn't swim and getting them trained up in under a week. Though I still remember that one time one of those "new swimmer" guys panicked in the dunker and started kicking his feet and kicked me good right in the head on my way out of the cockpit.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2024, 09:28:51 PM »
Frontier passenger arrested after she refuses to deplane during argument with crew over exit row instructions 
https://nypost.com/2024/05/20/us-news/unruly-passenger-led-off-flight-at-clt-airport-after-confrontation-with-staff/

:facepalm:
Passengers sitting in emergency exit rows are asked by flight attendants before takeoff if they are willing and able to operate the exit door in the event there is an emergency during the flight.

“This may have been her first time in a exit row so she did not understand or realize or want to understand that the flight attendant has to get a verbal yes from everyone when you are doing, when you are going through the drill,” the TikTokker claimed.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2024, 09:41:58 PM »
Singapore Airlines emergency: Pilot's disturbing theory on plane's 6,000ft plunge - as eight Aussies are put in hospital following horror air incident that killed a British man
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13444903/Singapore-Airlines-emergency-pilot-disturbing-theory-plunge-eight-Australians-hospital.html

Can you guess what it is without clicking on the link?
spoiler below
Climate Change of course. What else could it be? Because you know this has never happened before in the history of flying, never.

- Calvin and Hobbes