Author Topic: Dallas PD lied about shooting of mentally ill man (On Video) Title Edited  (Read 32523 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
thats what made me think either scared or n/d or combination

damn phone

Or the tards just can't shoot.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Azrael256

• friend
Re: Dallas PD lied about shooting of mentally ill man (On Video) Title Edited
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2013, 01:37:05 AM »
April 14th, 1988.

Dallas has gone downhill ever since.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2013, 02:28:16 AM »
Cordex: the percentage is an exaggeration but not that much. Think about it. Cops who are outright serious felons, cops who only break the little laws they know they can get "professional courtesy" for like speeding or DUI, the cops who enable them by staring at their thin blue lines, the cops who work for the myriad of agencies that practice civil asset forfeiture, and all members of the agencies that are criminal organization in uniform like Chicago PD/ New Orleans PD etc. the "good cops" are a pretty damn small minority.

And guys, seriously now. CSD is a troll on cop threads, plain and simple. He's actively defending a shoot so bad that the cops who did it knew they needed to lie to cover it up. He's posting because we give him attention, and because he gets off on being the "wise old elder putting the young punks in their place," even if only in his own mind. We know what happens when we ignore him, he goes crazy and starts spamming the thread in a desperate "look at me look at me" way.

Let's just ignore him. When he wants to slander murder victims because of their families or who the people in their church are, ignore him. When he wants to brag about how he'd beat his daughter if she got lippy so it's ok if the cops do, ignore him. When he wants to call you names and insult you (in just a vague and incoherent enough way that the mods can't slap him for it ) ignore him. It's the worst thing you can do to an attention whoring troll. And Lord knows he deserves it. Lay down with dogs get up with fleas indeed.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
Group think challenged?

We have here seensome interesting things . We have an incident where guys mom calls 911 about her son with a knife, his neighbor describes a knife and if we watch the unedited video we see the cop remove the knife and still have posters that talk about alleged knife or "what knife"
Its a hoot
I think a thread about the various reasons folks minds work like that would be interesting but might injure some feelings. Had a real good one the other night with a group of young folks with some experience in the topic st hand. Some of their observations might bruise some adult images.  The kids are a big surprise sometimes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2013, 08:36:55 AM »
Well, I tried to watch the OP video but it has been made private.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2013, 09:35:01 AM »

Here's a link from csd's own post, (supposedly disputing the original video, it's from a real news source ya know)

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/surveillance-footage-disputes-dallas-police-affidavit-officer-involved-shooting--mentally-ill-228252551.html
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2013, 09:52:18 AM »
Cordex: the percentage is an exaggeration but not that much. Think about it. Cops who are outright serious felons, cops who only break the little laws they know they can get "professional courtesy" for like speeding
So the bar for "bad cop" is set to "Drives like Balog and most other folks do when they think cops aren't around"?  If someone is "bad" because they violate traffic regulations and laws they don't agree with whenever they think they can get away with it, then we might as well label 98% of our society as "bad".

or DUI,
I'm not sure how much that really happens.  I can think of one high profile case locally where impropriety surrounding evidence handling was alleged to get a cop off on a DUI charge, but he's in court now with plenty of public outcry against him, so I'm not sure how that is going to play out.  We've had a deputy prosecutor get a nice tickle on the wrist for DUI from the judicial side, but that isn't what you're talking about.  Beyond that, we have had a number of DUI arrests of cops who get treated just like everyone else who gets caught drinking and driving.

the cops who enable them by staring at their thin blue lines,
Plenty of cops get arrested for a variety of offenses.  Domestics, DUI, etc.  They get arrested, they go to jail, they often lose their jobs.  The "thin blue line" exists, but it isn't the universal get-out-of-jail free card you seem to think.

the cops who work for the myriad of agencies that practice civil asset forfeiture,
I have zero love for civil asset forfeiture.

and all members of the agencies that are criminal organization in uniform like Chicago PD/ New Orleans PD etc.
I can't argue with that either, but then again I don't know anyone from those departments and maybe I'm unfairly judging them.

the "good cops" are a pretty damn small minority.
The thing is, unless you believe driving 10 over on the interstate like everyone else does makes an officer a "bad cop", they aren't a minority.  I'm not an expert on police behavior, but I've had the opportunity to see, deal with and get to know maybe 10 or 15 cops on and/or off duty on a regular basis.  There is plenty of variety within that group but not a single one that I would describe as "bad".

That doesn't mean that I don't believe bad cops exist - they certainly do.  That doesn't mean that I like everything that cops do - I certainly don't.  However, the obnoxious hyperbole that you and others repeatedly exercise in trying to justify how much you dislike all cops is beneath you.  The fact is, you rely on dog-bites-man news reports of honestly bad cops, other cases of truly bad reporting, and grudges you have over tickets you've received to condemn a group of people as a whole.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2013, 10:13:51 AM »
I still don't see why two cops with guns already drawn need to shoot a mentally ill man holding a knife down at his side (assuming there actually was a knife) from that distance away.

=|

Remember the cops approached him.  This isn't quite like some self defense case where some guy walks up with a knife in his hand and says "your money or you life."
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »
I still don't see why two cops with guns already drawn need to shoot a mentally ill man holding a knife down at his side (assuming there actually was a knife) from that distance away.
I agree.  I didn't see anything in the video that explicitly justified that shoot.  Doesn't mean it was necessarily murder, but it sure didn't look good to me.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »

=|

Remember the cops approached him.  This isn't quite like some self defense case where some guy walks up with a knife in his hand and says "your money or you life."
That is where I am on this also.  If there was some period of time between arrival and shooting, I might assume some efforts were made to end it peacefully, but it appears they just showed up and shot him.  We hear about tasers and bean bag rounds for shotguns and all sorts of things, but we still end up with cases like this where the suspect is a nail and cops only carry hammers (Glock Hammers). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »
Cordex: a cop who spends all day writing tickets for breaking X law, then breaks X law himself knowing he's highly unlikely to be punished for it does indeed count as a "bad" cop in my mind. If you've no issues with "laws for thee but not for me" if the punishment is small then I guess we'll need to agree to disagree.

Edit: And even you would be hard pressed to deny that the system is far more lenient on cops than other civilians. Remember that funny story about the cop who stole weed from the evidence room, got really high, and then called 9/11? He got fired. What do you think you or I would be charged with if we stole evidence from a police station, had a large quantity of marijuana (intent to distribute zomg!) etc? Between sovreign immunity and the buddy buddy slap on the wrist losing their job is punishment enough attitudes, even for the few cops who do get held accountable for their crimes the punishment is usually far less. They're sort of like rich celebrities who get community service and parole for offenses that Joe Dude on the street would be seeing time for.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:56:04 PM by Balog »

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2013, 02:10:10 PM »
Cordex: a cop who spends all day writing tickets for breaking X law, then breaks X law himself knowing he's highly unlikely to be punished for it does indeed count as a "bad" cop in my mind. If you've no issues with "laws for thee but not for me" if the punishment is small then I guess we'll need to agree to disagree.
If you're going to set the bar that low then it isn't just a problem of 98% of cops being "bad" cops, it really is more like 98% of all people being bad people.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2013, 02:16:49 PM »
If you're going to set the bar that low then it isn't just a problem of 98% of cops being "bad" cops, it really is more like 98% of all people being bad people.

Non-cops don't enforce the laws they break on others, now do they? Breaking a stupid law is all fine and dandy, but when you make your living by enforcing that law...

Are you really saying you have no qualms about a cop enforcing laws against others, yet breaking those same laws himself with impunity?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »
Are you really saying you have no qualms about a cop enforcing laws against others, yet breaking those same laws himself with impunity?

Cordex:

This is the part that makes a bad cop.

Cops breaking the stupidly low speed limit laws- does not make a bad cop.

Cops KNOWING they can break the laws because other cops won't ticket them and proceeding to break the laws= bad cop.

Cops FACILITATING the breaking of laws by their buddies = bad cop.

If police officers got tickets just like the rest of the population, (in my opinion, they ought actually to be held to a higher standard, but at least the same standard would be equal), they wouldn't be bad cops for breaking the stupid laws that nearly everyone else breaks.

Using the position as an enforcer of the law to avoid the consequences of breaking the law (no matter how small or stupid) is corruption and cronyism.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2013, 02:54:22 PM »
Its a cleverly shortened version of the longer vid in the link to the news source below it. It had narration from the shot guys neighbors. I do find it amazing how he cuts the video and narration off when he did

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »
Non-cops don't enforce the laws they break on others, now do they? Breaking a stupid law is all fine and dandy, but when you make your living by enforcing that law...
Laws aren't the only rules we live by nor police the only enforcers of those rules.  Surely you aren't saying that if the punishment is small that it is somehow different.

No, I'm saying that hypocrisy in traffic enforcement (which for many officers is a small portion of what they do anyway) is not the same thing as a cop who steals, plants evidence, shoots people unnecessarily, etc.  Your Boolean judgement of "bad cop" doesn't distinguish between an officer who doesn't bother to fix the plate light on his personal vehicle because he knows he won't get a ticket and one who habitually steals, rapes and murders.  It cheapens the idea of what a bad cop is when it includes people who are good people doing a good job even if they sometimes do something you and I don't care for.

And that is what I'm saying.  That a cop who pulls people over and may or may not ticket for traffic infractions that he or she typically ignores can still be a good cop.

Cops breaking the stupidly low speed limit laws- does not make a bad cop.

Cops KNOWING they can break the laws because other cops won't ticket them and proceeding to break the laws= bad cop.

Cops FACILITATING the breaking of laws by their buddies = bad cop.
Do you believe that police should mindlessly enforce all infractions they see no matter who is breaking the law and why, or do you believe that some level of discretion is acceptable?

Also interesting that it is somehow okay for you to break the law but not the cops.  Isn't that kind of a "laws for thee, not for me" attitude?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
It's varying degrees of "bad" but it's still bad. Corruption in the smalls things and corruption in the large things are differences of degree not type.

Ultimately the problem is having traffic laws that are nonsensical and designed to be capriciously enforced. But I hold the people on the ground implementing bad laws to the same standard as the people writing them.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »
Also interesting that it is somehow okay for you to break the law but not the cops.  Isn't that kind of a "laws for thee, not for me" attitude?

It is okay for me to break the law if I'm willing to face the consequences.  It is not okay for cops to break the law knowing they will not face any consequences.  It is even less okay for a cop to enforce those same laws that he flaunts breaking.

And there are degrees of bad.
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »
I think its a lot simpler than that its the grade school whine of "its not faaaiirr! " in an adult playground

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »
I think its a lot simpler than that its the grade school whine of "its not faaaiirr! " in an adult playground

Yep, that's exactly what it is.

It's because I believe in this childish idea of "equality before the law."

I also have a problem with the salary/benefits that are lavished upon public servants. But I don't see that as a matter of equal standing before the law, so I don't fault the police officers for trying to get the best benefit/salary package they can. I fault politicians.

My problem is that the individuals who enforce the law are held to lower standards than those they enforce it against.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2013, 03:41:47 PM »

I also have a problem with the salary/benefits that are lavished upon public servants. But I don't see that as a matter of equal standing before the law, so I don't fault the police officers for trying to get the best benefit/salary package they can. I fault politicians.

My problem is that the individuals who enforce the law are held to lower standards than those they enforce it against.
how do you feel about doctors and nurses?
They kill quite a few each year with relative impunity and cover from colleagues. Or lawyers? They kill relatively few but are self regulated
 Or teachers who have sex with students? And the colleagues who know cover for or even support them?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2013, 03:45:06 PM »

Dude, we just covered this.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2013, 04:03:07 PM »
It's varying degrees of "bad" but it's still bad. Corruption in the smalls things and corruption in the large things are differences of degree not type.

Ultimately the problem is having traffic laws that are nonsensical and designed to be capriciously enforced. But I hold the people on the ground implementing bad laws to the same standard as the people writing them.

That has a familiar ring to it...

"The world has long observed that small acts of immorality, if repeated, will destroy character. It is equally manifest, though never said, that uttering nonsense and half-truth without cease ends by destroying Intellect."
----Jacques Barzun

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2013, 04:04:06 PM »
how do you feel about doctors and nurses?
They kill quite a few each year with relative impunity and cover from colleagues. Or lawyers? They kill relatively few but are self regulated
 Or teachers who have sex with students? And the colleagues who know cover for or even support them?

In order:

Worse. Much worse. Much worse.

Corruption is corruption. By refusing to root out those in your profession who "make mistakes" (commit crimes), you encourage more who will do the same.

I don't expect any profession to clean itself up barring either a complete collapse of our country and/or a Revival. These "petty" corruptions will get worse as the country does as well.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2013, 04:14:14 PM »
That has a familiar ring to it...

"The world has long observed that small acts of immorality, if repeated, will destroy character. It is equally manifest, though never said, that uttering nonsense and half-truth without cease ends by destroying Intellect."
----Jacques Barzun

I was more thinking of this.

Quote from: Luke 16:10
One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much.

God is obviously just a childish whiner.  =D